20240331_094741 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240328_222316 (resized).jpg
20240329_070525 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240126_225518 (resized).jpg
IMG_4108 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #103 Sound Board Pins/Wires - Photos Posted by BC_Gambit (10 years ago)

Post #183 Rectifier Board - J1, J2 & J3 wire photos Posted by Cheddar (8 years ago)

Post #269 Mini Flipper - Stock Black Lettering Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #274 Cabinet Stencils - Pinball Pimp Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #287 Bally Flipper Bat - Pinball Life Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #301 Bally AS-2518-18 Rectifier Board - Wiring Key Photos Posted by zombywoof (7 years ago)

Post #384 Removing Metal Spacers from Plastics Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #515 MPU J3 Connector Photos Posted by Captive_Ball (6 years ago)

Post #608 Mini Flipper - Buy it at PBR Posted by meSz (5 years ago)

Post #622 Saucer coil stop = A-61330 Posted by Captive_Ball (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sheprd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 10 years ago

This is a club I should be in. See pictures here: http://mcwhorters.net. Love my Paragon... Mac

1 year later
#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Hey fellow owners. I am having an issue with the tones in my paragon. 3/4 of all the sounds are correct but the remaining are too high pitched. I sent the board for repair and it was tuned up. The issue improved but it still has some sounds off pitch.

Do the sounds not sound like these on my web site? http://mcwhorters.net

I just noticed that the new Edge browser in Windows 10 does not play the background audio automatically. If you use Google Chrome, it works fine.

I've wondered if the pitch on mine is a bit high... it's hard to remember for sure what it sounded like 36 years ago. I replaced all the caps on the sound board and anything else that I thought might "age".

Mac

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I'll have to compare them side by side. This sounds pretty close to what I have. It's the super high pitch tones that don't sounds right

If my memory servers me, their is a variable resister on the sound board that can be adjusted to change the sustain on the tones. This did not change the pitch, but did have a pronounced affect on the high pitched sounds if set too long. You might give that a tweak in test mode and see if you can tune it more to your liking.

Mac

1 month later
#210 8 years ago

Every time I walk past my living room and see the Paragon, I think, "Man, what a beautiful piece of art!" I used a little darker red than I see most people using, but I think it really makes it all pop.

side.jpgside.jpg

6 months later
#268 7 years ago

I had the same question when I replaced mine. I used black lettering, and it looks correct with the black stamped in-line drop targets. The early flyers showed the little flipper with blue lettering, and the drops with red stamping. I have not see a unit produced that way, and don't think it looks as good. They probably changed it before or early in production.

Mac

1 week later
#276 7 years ago

... In my humble opinion Paul Faris is the tops in pinball art.

blockquote>

100% agree. I just "found" a Paragon back glass that my buddy and I bought 1n 1978. It has never been installed in a machine... perfect in all regards. It is a thing of beauty!

Mac

4 weeks later
#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Jays:

Do you still have that backglass? Is i for sale or could you maybe do a scan of it. I am in need of one! Thank you!

It's not for sale. I believe CPR did a repro... http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo129.html

and you might find one of those around. If all else fails, I will scan this one when I have some time.

Mac

7 months later
#378 7 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Yea it's only 3 inserts. What's the type of resistor that I should use and where do I solder it exactly?

Might need to go down to a 330 ohm. Connect right across the lamp socket. Use a pair of alligator clips and try your resistor first to get the right value.

#380 7 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Just to confirm. I have an altek Lamp driver board installed right now. Would adding a 330 ohm resistor do any damage to the SCR on the board ?
Also does it make a difference which Watt I get for the resistor? I see that I have buy 1/4 or 1/2 or 1/6.

If you have the Altek board, you don't need to add anything. The resisters are already on the board. What you DO need to do is run the single wire to the current source point (common side of the feature lights on the backbox lamps).This is detailed in the instructions that come with the board. If you don't do this (or do it wrong), the Altek board will act like the original and you will see the flickering.

Mac

#383 7 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

They are a pain to get off the old plastics

Just put your soldering iron inside the metal sleeve, wiggle and the metal will pop right out as the old plastic starts to soften from the heat. Very easy.

Now reusing the metal on new plastics... a bit of a pain. The metal is really too stiff to unbend the flange and re-crimp without risking damage to the new plastics. You would need to have a special crimping device to do this safely.

I have just ground off the flange and used the standoffs without crimping them. You cannot tell once the plastics are installed. The only difference is they could fall out when you remove the plastics in the future. If someone has had success doing otherwise, please chime in...

1 week later
#397 7 years ago

I had some "yellow" LEDs that really have more of a golden orange tint to them that matches the golden color in the theme. These actually look nice behind the center target above the pops. Those lamps are situated where you stare right into the bulb filaments. The gold color is easier on the eyes and does not look like clown puke. I also use LEDs under the POPs... frosted white. The hot bulbs from the factory burned brown spots on my original pop covers, and I don't want the same to happen on the replacements. I use coordinated colors under the playfield, and use the biasing resistors to prevent the SCR flashing issues.

Mac

#399 7 years ago

I used 2 smds. It's all a matter of preference, but I did not want the inserts to "pop" TOO much and overshadow the artwork on this game.

Games like Space Shuttle I go for the gusto and put as much light as possible down there, and then dial it in with an LEDOCD board...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sheprd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-club-enter-the-valley-of-demons?tu=sheprd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.