20240331_094741 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240328_222316 (resized).jpg
20240329_070525 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240126_225518 (resized).jpg
IMG_4108 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #103 Sound Board Pins/Wires - Photos Posted by BC_Gambit (10 years ago)

Post #183 Rectifier Board - J1, J2 & J3 wire photos Posted by Cheddar (8 years ago)

Post #269 Mini Flipper - Stock Black Lettering Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #274 Cabinet Stencils - Pinball Pimp Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #287 Bally Flipper Bat - Pinball Life Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #301 Bally AS-2518-18 Rectifier Board - Wiring Key Photos Posted by zombywoof (7 years ago)

Post #384 Removing Metal Spacers from Plastics Posted by Captive_Ball (7 years ago)

Post #515 MPU J3 Connector Photos Posted by Captive_Ball (6 years ago)

Post #608 Mini Flipper - Buy it at PBR Posted by meSz (5 years ago)

Post #622 Saucer coil stop = A-61330 Posted by Captive_Ball (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eightball88.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#625 5 years ago

I just joined the club! I remember this title fondly as one you would line up to play by putting your quarter on the glass. Mine’s a good condition player with a 9 bg and I am very happy with it!

For my inaugural question to club members....is there a source for the wire gates (there are 5 of them on paragon)? Marco is out of the ones I’m looking for, which are 2 at the top of the waterfall.

Oh, and is there an accepted abbreviation for paragon ?

#629 5 years ago

Ottawa loves it some Paragon I guess!

I bought mine from a local collector who brought it back from Washington DC (I think).

I only need the gates, the brackets are sound. PBR is out of stock so I might have to try fabricating my own. It still plays great though...except for a few dodgy lamp sockets everything works 100 percent. I’m still trying to find the sweet spot on the sustain adjustment to get the sound just right but I’ll get there.

I’m sure settings have been discussed on this thread before...but I’m waiting to roll it before considering switching it to 3 Ball. I have PARAGON letters scrolling and the inline dts scoring a letter just like my old Harlem globetrotters. I think of Paragon as a widebody mirror image version of Harlem globetrotters. It’s funny but I hardly ever lost the ball between the flippers on Hg but it happens all too often on paragon.

#632 5 years ago

Hi tubbee, welcome. My pf has a bit of wear too, but it’s better than a lot of paragons I’ve seen. I’m getting a pf protector to make sure it stays as nice as possible.

Quoted from srcdube:

Interesting... probably with the wider body that extra distance is landing the ball between the flippers instead if on one or the other. I almost always only lose a ball between the flippers when it bounces off the left slingshot on the way down. Longer distance on Paragon than HG... Doctor it hurts when I do this... so stop doing that! Off the left slingshot I let it hit the flippers before I shoot... never try to “one timer” it anymore.

Yeah I’m getting better the more I play it. I’m using the drop catch a lot with the right flippers. Now when I scissor the ball its often off a slap save.

#635 5 years ago

Thanks guys! The picture has one of the gates I need. You can see that a bit on the left is missing so I bent it with pliers to reestablish the hook. So far it is working flawlessly but I’d still like to replace it (ASE-2250-25). I am missing the top “in gate “ to the waterfall (9 on the parts list, ASE-2250-59). If I can’t find the -59 gate I might try that kit from Marco to make my own. I’m lucky to have a buddy with similar pinball tastes who also has a Paragon (with the number of Paragons in Ottawa we ought to be able to get parts in bulk

I know these early SS Ballys are known for bricking drop targets, but is there an easy way to mitigate this his on Paragon? Both the inlines and and the 3 waterfall drops brick too often for my liking, especially when it denies me my double or triple bonus!!

I have a pf protector on the way, I’d be interested in others’ views on installation, improved play, etc.

Keep on flipping!

4141B5A8-7323-4430-83B1-64498A262D3C (resized).jpeg4141B5A8-7323-4430-83B1-64498A262D3C (resized).jpeg8DA21B23-DBE3-465D-B95C-159F2418BAF4 (resized).jpeg8DA21B23-DBE3-465D-B95C-159F2418BAF4 (resized).jpeg
11 months later
#729 4 years ago
Quoted from Leeezard:

Wanted to add some pizzazz to the beast's lair pop bumper in my paragon:

Here's the assembly:[quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet mod! I’m jealous.

I just replaced the lamp sockets in my pop bumpers with wedges, at least they don’t flake out anymore.

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from Leeezard:

I wonder what the price is going to be on the CPR playfields? I'd love to put Paragon out on the floor for people to play, but playfield wear has got me nervous.
Maybe I should bite the bullet and just clearcoat what I have.

I have a playfield protector in my Paragon. I think these early SS machines are perfect candidates for this solution if you don’t want to go to the CC option yet. It will protect the current state and frankly I think my Paragon plays better with it ( I have a bit of cupping in my inserts, which the protector addresses).

Not everyone is a fan of these, but I think they have their uses.....

1 year later
#832 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Getting my CPR playfield and plastics next week. But look at this playfield. Worst problem is the ADVANCE BONUS as shown but a waterslide decal could take care of that, and under the overlay it would be just fine. The cracking you see is throughout the pf but it's only really visible when the light is just right. Plastics are all there, just need to be flattened. Previous owner replaced the bumper bodies and caps, and all the rings. I haven't played this game yet; it needed board and underside pf work. Perfect backglass.
I bought the German polycarbonate overlay for it awhile back. I could just clean this up and install the overlay. That would prevent me having to deal with the cupped inserts. It's only original once. Then I could look for a truly blown out example to install the CPR in.
Opinions?[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m with the wax it and play it crowd! If you have cupped inserts, and if you already have the playfield protector then you might want to install it. I did it on mine (it’s not that hard to install on paragon) and the gameplay improved considerably...ie the benefit from addressing the cupped inserts outweighed any detrimental effects on how the ball rolls. I clean and wax the installed protector every so often, and about once a year I remove it to clean and wax both sides, and the playfield.

Paragon is sweet sweet pinball!

#835 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Major cuppage on all the inserts. I think any of the big PARAGON letters could actually be a ball trap.
Will install the protector but also use new star rollovers and set them to match the height of the protector. I did this with a Hot Hand protector made for me by pinsider cottonm4, and it works very well. (I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes Hot Hand).
Later I might replace all the inserts and use a vinyl cutter to reproduce the graphics on them. (If you haven't seen David Yopp's work on this, find his channel on youtube). Probably not though since I have the CPR I can install instead.
As a teenager I loved waxing machines (it was a requirement of my first job) but now fixing and playing is far more fun. An old-age goal is for my friends and I to play the hell out of my machines without much worrying about the paint finish. I figure there are four possible routes: Regular waxing, A serious clearcoat, mylar, or a protector.

My inserts are cupped as well, and before the protector a slow-moving ball would swerve and meander over the bonus triangle. Frustrating! The protector was an easy fix for me because I have zero experience in using clear...

If you do end up installing the pf protector remember to adjust the height of the inline drops to avoid ball traps from lowered targets (it’s an easy adjustment from below the pf). You need to remove the flipper bats, pop bumper caps, spinner, and all gates but that’s it. My pf has a small nail near the upper right rail rebound thingy that the protector did not allow for so I had to make a small snip to make it fit.

3 months later
#909 3 years ago

I have mine on 3 ball. The PARAGON scans, and the lit letter is awarded at the saucer and upon hitting an inline drop. I have the first free game at 200k and the second at 450k, which is hard enough that I need to add credits every once in a while.

My playfield is a little worn, and has cupped inserts as many machines of this era do, but I have a playfield protector that fixes that. I am a fan of pf protectors in these instances since I don’t have the skills needed to fix it any other way

1 week later
#911 3 years ago
Quoted from somenerd:

Congrats on finishing the CPR restoration- looks amazing. I'm hoping to one day (eventually) go that route for my own machine but a project of that magnitude is definitely still outside my own comfort zone/skill set.
In the meantime though, the plastic on my upper-left pop bumper split apart over the weekend. What's the best way to go about replacing? They were already a little (ok, REALLY) worn so I'm thinking a rebuild is in order. (Images attached)
I'm browsing Marco specialty now but they don't seem to offer any bumper rebuild kits- would I notice any improvement if I just replace the plastic skirt, base, and body? The caps are still fine.
They bumpers still have a strong "pop" when they are triggered too so I don't think I'd need to replace the solenoid or whatever does the actual popping, but what do you guys think is the best course of action here?
Also I have yet to lift up the playfield too so I really don't have any idea of the condition of the wiring, etc underneath...
(man I hope this doesn't end up being a can of worms...)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Rebuilding bally ss pop bumpers was the first “serious” maintenance I ever attempted and it gave me confidence to attempt more complicated things. I followed Vid1900’s guide and everything went smoothly. It was my first attempts at desoldering and resoldering and they are still popping like mad 3 years later!

If you go that route I recommend replacing the lamp sockets with wedge-based, this will eliminate the flakiness from all the vibration they take.

I think I got my rebuild kits from Marco and it had everything that should be replaced, except the lamp sockets which you would have to add to the kit. Good luck! Paragon is a great game.

3 months later
#961 2 years ago
Quoted from toebes:

Has anyone ever encountered this?
While playing on the PF swapped machine, my wife managed to hit the ball and have it jump over the second drop down target. I don't recall ever doing that before and am curious if anyone else has seen it or knows of something I may have missed in the repopulation of the playfield.
[quoted image]

This has happened to me a couple times. I bet your flippers are good and strong

8 months later
#1120 2 years ago
Quoted from MyParagon1979:

These adaptor boards…
[quoted image]

I have this ( or something very similar) in my Eight Ball. It does the trick, ie no ghosting or flickering controlled lamps. On the downside, sometimes the connections get flakey and I have to open the backbox to re-seat them.

2 months later
#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

All the games shipped to France had only 3 flippers

I believe it was all the paragons shipped to Europe that had that difference, and that is why we now refer to it as an “Italian bottom”. Apparently, the story goes that Italian players like to trap the ball, take a sip, and call their next shot.

3 months later
#1438 1 year ago

If you can’t source one or more of the gates you can do what I did….

Marco sells a wire bending kit with a jig and some wire stock. I used that to bend myself a replacement gate (the topmost one that lets the ball into the waterfall but prevents it from coming out). I traced the gate from a friend’s paragon and bent it as best I could. The result is not perfect, but very functional (hasn’t failed yet!)

1 year later
#1842 3 months ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

The prong that pops out and hits the ball, bend it slightly to one side or the other.
Side note, since it’s paragon related. I have 6 playfields leading to my arcade hanging on the wall. And had some downtime today and decided to knock out the first one.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic! Where are those leds getting their power? Do they each have their own battery?

#1846 3 months ago

Thanks Kolk1. Nice work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eightball88.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-club-enter-the-valley-of-demons?tu=Eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.