20240331_094741 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240328_222316 (resized).jpg
20240329_070525 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240126_225518 (resized).jpg
IMG_4108 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,899 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 38.
#1701 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

The second two links in the 8th post in this thread have these heads in stock.

I have a bunch of the heads. I'm just thinking of a practical way to secure them to the kicker arm for the time being. Paper clip, zip tie....I'm thinking it's a horse apiece.

#1702 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

I have a bunch of the heads. I'm just thinking of a practical way to secure them to the kicker arm for the time being. Paper clip, zip tie....I'm thinking it's a horse apiece.

I think its safer to rig the link than the head. You can buy the kicker with a head installed. Or we could both just man up and figure out how to deal with those gd roll pins. Great collection btw, I'm a bit jealous.

#1703 1 year ago

My neighbor just showed me how to punch out and install the roll pins, super easy, you just need a vise and a punch tool.

#1704 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

My neighbor just showed me how to punch out and install the roll pins, super easy, you just need a vise and a punch tool.

I have a punch tool. I don’t have a vise tho. Damn….

#1705 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

I have a punch tool. I don’t have a vise tho. Damn….

I don't think you can do it without a proper vise because you could bend the kicker arm.

#1706 1 year ago

Hey guys! All my controlled lamps failed. I moved some wires yesterday near the rectifier board and the lights came back. Now they are back out. What connectors should I be looking to if all the controlled lights are off?

I don't believe it's a fuse.

Thanks!

#1707 1 year ago

It is probably a ground problem with the controlled lamps, they all share a common ground and it is spliced in various places and if one of the splices has a poor connection you can lose some or all of the controlled lights, i had it happen on one of my Skateballs, that i had done a playfield swap on twelve years ago, just run a seperate ground jumper to the controlled lights and if they start working, then you need to trace out where the splice failed or you can just run a redundant ground to the lamps, although the problem could be with connector J1, terminal 7, a blue wire that is the switch illumination bus return, try wiggling that wire and see if the lamps come back, it could be a bad terminal or a broken solder connection on the header pin on the rectifier board

#1708 1 year ago
Quoted from runpatboyrun:

Hey guys! All my controlled lamps failed. I moved some wires yesterday near the rectifier board and the lights came back. Now they are back out. What connectors should I be looking to if all the controlled lights are off?
I don't believe it's a fuse.
Thanks!

Do the solenoids work? I believe connector J1 has nine slots for 8 pins on the board, so you can mistakenly put it on wrong. Check to make sure it is on correctly with each wire going to the correct pin. If you did put it on wrong, you could have driven the 43V for the solenoids into the controlled lamps by accident and blew them all out.

Yep, it happened to me.

#1709 1 year ago

I'm trying to resolve an issue with the shooter lane.

When the balls doesn't rest properly on the shooter gage, it often bounces off the small guard rail that prevents the ball from slipping under the apron.

If I take the time to pull the plunger and the ball rests at the tip on the shooting gage, there's no ussie. If I pull it too fast, it often bounces off the small ramp.

I don't believe there's a way to adjust the length of the plunger where the ball sits before it is pulled.

I'm wondering if the small ramp that I have installed is too much in the way, although it is flush with the wooden rail.

I didn't have the ramp initially. I had to set up a new one. Would really appreciate if someone could show me how it looks on their machine.

I wonder if this small ramp should actually be installed more towards the ramp itself as maybe the ball knocks on the wooden ramp...

Thanks!

IMG_9249 (resized).jpgIMG_9249 (resized).jpg
#1710 1 year ago

I could be wrong…

But I thought the ball slightly rested on the gauge? Move the two prongs out that are on each side of the ball.

#1711 1 year ago
Quoted from runpatboyrun:

I'm trying to resolve an issue with the shooter lane.

When the balls doesn't rest properly on the shooter gage, it often bounces off the small guard rail that prevents the ball from slipping under the apron.
If I take the time to pull the plunger and the ball rests at the tip on the shooting gage, there's no ussie. If I pull it too fast, it often bounces off the small ramp.
I don't believe there's a way to adjust the length of the plunger where the ball sits before it is pulled.
I'm wondering if the small ramp that I have installed is too much in the way, although it is flush with the wooden rail.
I didn't have the ramp initially. I had to set up a new one. Would really appreciate if someone could show me how it looks on their machine.
I wonder if this small ramp should actually be installed more towards the ramp itself as maybe the ball knocks on the wooden ramp...
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Your plunger tip is too far forward. The tip of the shooter rod should rest just behind the shooter gauge cover plate. Your shooter rod spring also looks likes it's pushed too far back compared to mine, not sure if that's what's causing your issue or not.
What type of spring do you have just behind the shooter rod handle? (the oval-ish shaped spring between the handle and the outside of the machine) I wonder if it's the wrong size?

20230412_220938.jpg20230412_220938.jpg

#1712 1 year ago

Just put a washer or two in front of the spring.

#1713 1 year ago

You are absolutely right about the tip regarding the shooter rod. But what I find interesting to see is that your small ramp is way closer to the ramp than mine. Mine is wayyyyy far on the inside and I think that might be the cause of the wiggle fo the ball there.

But you are right, there is some adjustments to be done to the plunger. There is some sort of a washer-lock on the rod that pushes the spring far back. I will also look into this. Thanks for your input! Much appreciated!

Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Your plunger tip is too far forward. The tip of the shooter rod should rest just behind the shooter gauge cover plate. Your shooter rod spring also looks likes it's pushed too far back compared to mine, not sure if that's what's causing your issue or not.
What type of spring do you have just behind the shooter rod handle? (the oval-ish shaped spring between the handle and the outside of the machine) I wonder if it's the wrong size?
[quoted image]

#1714 1 year ago

I want ya’ll to know that the quality of CPR’s backglass for Paragon is outstanding! 7 years ago, BG Resto made a backglass for me, and it’s fine except that it’s too opaque. I had to use 2SMD LEDs to light it, and it never looked quite right to me. It really stood out in my row of Bally pins. So I finally ordered a CPR BG and installed it tonight. It actually looks better than many original backglasses I’ve seen! Beautiful color, sharpness and light transmission.

Here’s the before (BGResto) and after (CPR). The CPR glass is lit with #44 incandescent, and the BGResto is lit with warm white LEDs. I’ll always be grateful to Steve at BG Resto for giving my game a backglass for the past 7 years. But I’m really happy with CPR right now. I just need $1000 to fall into my lap, so I can justify getting the CPR playfield.
B6ECDFCF-4751-4F3F-B1B8-66FC395EE7DF (resized).jpegB6ECDFCF-4751-4F3F-B1B8-66FC395EE7DF (resized).jpegD96D0C6D-4559-4E4A-9654-E2674A48C8EE (resized).jpegD96D0C6D-4559-4E4A-9654-E2674A48C8EE (resized).jpeg

#1715 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I want ya’ll to know that the quality of CPR’s backglass for Paragon is outstanding! 7 years ago, BG Resto made a backglass for me, and it’s fine except that it’s too opaque. I had to use 2SMD LEDs to light it, and it never looked quite right to me. It really stood out in my row of Bally pins. So I finally ordered a CPR BG and installed it tonight. It actually looks better than many original backglasses I’ve seen! Beautiful color, sharpness and light transmission.
Here’s the before (BGResto) and after (CPR). The CPR glass is lit with #44 incandescent, and the BGResto is lit with warm white LEDs. I’ll always be grateful to Steve at BG Resto for giving my game a backglass for the past 7 years. But I’m really happy with CPR right now. I just need $1000 to fall into my lap, so I can justify getting the CPR playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's good to hear, mine is original and mostly good but is faded and has a little flaking so I want new one to match the playfield restoration. The original will make good wall art.

#1716 1 year ago

I tried to tweak the pictures on my iPhone to reflect what I was actually seeing. The CPR backglass looks better than my picture above (it’s not quite that red).

#1717 12 months ago

So are you selling the old BG?

#1718 12 months ago

Does anybody know the dip switch settings to set electronic sounds?
Thanx
UFO

#1719 12 months ago

The switches are S8 and S32

IMG_0242 (resized).JPGIMG_0242 (resized).JPG
#1720 12 months ago

Thanx!

#1721 12 months ago

You're very welcome

#1722 12 months ago

Anyone have a Paragon for sale in the Massachusetts area? Thx!

#1723 12 months ago

Hello Billy, i have one for sale, but i am on Long Island in New York, a bit of ride i know, i usually go visit my daughter up there, during the summer, she is in Ayers, Massachusettes, so it would be a couple of hundred miles both ways, if you are interested in picking it up, it is a 100% working players machine, it has some playfield wear and the back glass is cracking and flaking a little, the cabinet is nice and solid with a little paint fade, plastics and rubbers are new, i also have a bare, spare playfield, which i was going to touch up and clear coat and swap out, but i will never get around to it, i can include that, if you are interested in making a trip to NY, then you could check it out yourself and decide if you want it, let me know either way, i completely understand if you would rather find something more local, have an awesome day, George, Trainmonger

#1724 12 months ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

So are you selling the old BG?

I traded it to a friend for a Foo Fighters translite.

#1725 12 months ago
Quoted from Trainmonger:

Hello Billy, i have one for sale, but i am on Long Island in New York, a bit of ride i know, i usually go visit my daughter up there, during the summer, she is in Ayers, Massachusettes, so it would be a couple of hundred miles both ways, if you are interested in picking it up, it is a 100% working players machine, it has some playfield wear and the back glass is cracking and flaking a little, the cabinet is nice and solid with a little paint fade, plastics and rubbers are new, i also have a bare, spare playfield, which i was going to touch up and clear coat and swap out, but i will never get around to it, i can include that, if you are interested in making a trip to NY, then you could check it out yourself and decide if you want it, let me know either way, i completely understand if you would rather find something more local, have an awesome day, George, Trainmonger

Thanks for the offer but looking for something a little higher grade. I appreciate the offer though

#1726 12 months ago

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get just one decal for the inline drop targets without ordering the entire $40 set?

#1727 12 months ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Thanks for the offer but looking for something a little higher grade. I appreciate the offer though

Thanks for getting back to me, Bill, no problem, of course you could always make it a perfect machine if you wanted, CPR makes a playfield and back glass. if you have the time and resources

#1728 12 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get just one decal for the inline drop targets without ordering the entire $40 set?

You can order individual drop targets from The Pinball Resource. $4 each.

2 weeks later
#1730 11 months ago

What playfield pitch is everyone running?

#1731 11 months ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

All the way up in back, all the way down in front on all my games.

#1732 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

All the way up in back, all the way down in front on all my games.

Same. On mine I think that equates to about six degrees.

#1733 11 months ago

Same. Sometimes I'll put rubber feet under the back as well. For even more pitch.

#1734 11 months ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

Games were set up in the factory with the bottom of the cabinet leveled. For a faster play I personally adjust the rear legs halfway up.

1 week later
#1735 11 months ago

I know this is pretty subjective but how often are you guys generally rebuilding your flippers?

I bought my Paragon a little over a year ago, and rebuilt the flippers with all new parts shortly after.

Today the mini flipper locked up after playing a few games. I lifted the playfeild and I could manually move it but it was binding pretty bad. I tore it down...the coil sleeve, and plunger linkage were filthy, but otherwise looked in decent shape.

I cleaned everything up well, polished the plunger, put in a new coil sleeve and spring, and cleaned/filed the EOS contacts while I was there, and it works great again.

The other two flipper mechs look equally filthy so I'm going to give them the same treatment.

I played the crap out of it for the first several months after buying it but it's slowed down to probably only being played about 10-20x/wk.

I was just surprised the flipper mechs already looked so dirty, but maybe that's about average time a rebuild lasts?

#1736 11 months ago

I have never rebuilt flippers in years of playing.

#1737 11 months ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Really? That's interesting. I was surprised with how dirty mine were. For comparison, I've had my judge dredd for over 2 yrs, I play it probably just as much as paragon and the mechs look fine. Otherwise I haven't kept any other games longer than a year so far so it's hard for me to guage how long rebuilds should last.

#1738 11 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Really? That's interesting. I was surprised with how dirty mine were. For comparison, I've had my judge dredd for over 2 yrs, I play it probably just as much as paragon and the mechs look fine. Otherwise I haven't kept any other games longer than a year so far so it's hard for me to guage how long rebuilds should last.

Remember, solid state games have no EOS switch spark, thus no soot
that can get accumulated relatively easy with older EOS switch designs
of yesteryear.

#1739 11 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Remember, solid state games have no EOS switch spark, thus no soot
that can get accumulated relatively easy with older EOS switch designs
of yesteryear.

That makes sense, the flipper mech was covered in what I thought looked like soot.

#1740 11 months ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Same here. I’ve had to replace a miscellaneous coil or a flipper part, but I’ve never rebuilt my flippers entirely. I may have been lucky in always buying games that were partially shopped, and if the flippers are working ok, they are unlikely to wear out quickly in a HUO environment.

#1741 10 months ago

You can get used to worn flippers. Every old Bally I get in my garage shop has badly worn flippers assemblies. Never seen one that did not need work. I buy my kits from pinball Life. If you haven't done so try rebuilding one, you'll be impressed by the results.

#1742 10 months ago

I rebuilt my flippers. They immediately had a ton more power. Then within the first few games I cracked the small plastic over the center middle target off a flip.

Still looking for that plastic by the way.

#1743 10 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Same here. I’ve had to replace a miscellaneous coil or a flipper part, but I’ve never rebuilt my flippers entirely. I may have been lucky in always buying games that were partially shopped, and if the flippers are working ok, they are unlikely to wear out quickly in a HUO environment.

I haven't been that lucky. All my machines I've bought so far hadn't been shopped in years. I've rebuilt the flippers on every game I bought so far, and they all definitely needed it. The flipper strength and the speed of play was always drastically better after the rebuild.

I just put WPC style flippers and all new parts on my new to me firepower, with a fresh coat of wax and new balls that thing is nasty! You can easily loose track of the ball.

#1744 10 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Still looking for that plastic by the way.

Might have one. PM me and I'll check tomorrow.

#1745 10 months ago

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how can you tell if your flippers need to be rebuilt?

I've rebuilt flippers on 2 games but they had obvious things wrong with them like binding, excessive slop and damage to components.

#1746 10 months ago
Quoted from Bohm:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how can you tell if your flippers need to be rebuilt?
I've rebuilt flippers on 2 games but they had obvious things wrong with them like binding, excessive slop and damage to components.

Pull the coil stops off and inspect, take the coil off and inspect the plunger/linkage. Any slop or wear, rebuild. At a minimum I'd replace the coil sleeve as well. Make sure the end of stroke switch isn't blackened and has some meat left on the contacts.

#1747 10 months ago

And an easy rebuild. Buy the whole mechanism already built from Pinball Life. Lol. Ensures everything is new and it's done.

#1748 10 months ago

I'm having a strange issue with my Paragon. The first 15 or so minutes it's powered on it plays fine, but after a few games the ball ejector coil won't work. The game will make the sound when it should be firing the ball out but nothing will happen. If I manually actuate the switch, it will try again and probably kick it out. After 30 minutes or so of the game being on, the coil won't work at all.

I also noticed it sometimes will kick out weakly before refusing to kick out at all. I can confirm that the switch is not the issue.

#1749 10 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I'm having a strange issue with my Paragon. The first 15 or so minutes it's powered on it plays fine, but after a few games the ball ejector coil won't work. The game will make the sound when it should be firing the ball out but nothing will happen. If I manually actuate the switch, it will try again and probably kick it out. After 30 minutes or so of the game being on, the coil won't work at all.
I also noticed it sometimes will kick out weakly before refusing to kick out at all. I can confirm that the switch is not the issue.

common cause of something like this is connectors

#1750 10 months ago

Paragon trivia: If you press both flippers at the exact time that the outhole kicker fires, the ball won't make it to the shooter lane, and will roll back to the outhole, where the outhole kicker will fire again. I learned this as an obnoxious teenager in the arcade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,899 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-club-enter-the-valley-of-demons/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.