Topic Stats

• 748 posts
  • 150 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 58 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 373 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1805010993 (resized).png
20190907_150141 (resized).jpg
20190907_150305 (resized).jpg
DSCN3623 (resized).JPG
6969545B-D4FC-4947-839B-7D6CF7AA5233 (resized).jpeg
EA5AB0C1-B7AA-43EE-ADC4-A6B920E2B1FA (resized).jpeg
D76A3BD5-5C6E-4703-98AA-AF463F9963BB (resized).jpeg
20190728_105413 (resized).jpg
20190727_195526 (resized).jpg
IMG_2130[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2129[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2143 (resized).JPG
C696F4AD-32DF-4934-886F-200B89DED426 (resized).jpeg
E8BEBBFC-DE9D-4C63-A255-424F737D5CD2 (resized).jpeg
9118DFD6-B8B2-4431-83F0-085AD0A831F8 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_2019-05-26-21-20-16 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 748 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 3 months ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Wow that Paragon sure took a long trip! Enjoy. My Paragon sits right next to a Space Invaders just like yours. Now just add a Future Spa, Embryon, or Hot Doggin to expand your wide body collection....

I’m actually actively looking for a nice clean Embryon.

#702 3 months ago
Quoted from Deezer5150:

I’m actually actively looking for a nice clean Embryon.

Nice. I had an Embryon. Real fun game, albeit a strange theme for some. I liked the art, and the sound package was pretty cool. Mine wasn’t a good example so I let it go in hopes of picking up a nice one down the road.

I have a Future Spa in my widebody collection. It’s an underrated title. Plays fast and brutal like Paragon.

#703 3 months ago

Love all the biggin’s. Paragon is in lineup now. Had a Space Invaders, Future Spa and Genie. Embryon coming soon. So much to do on Paragon.

#704 3 months ago

I have a Paragon, Hot Doggin and had a Space Invaders' in my wide body collection. Hot Doggin is my favourite

#705 3 months ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I have a Paragon, Hot Doggin and had a Space Invaders' in my wide body collection. Hot Doggin is my favourite

Never played Hot Doggin, but it sure looks like fun. I’ll need one, and another Embryon, if I’m going to complete my Bally Widebody collection.

C696F4AD-32DF-4934-886F-200B89DED426 (resized).jpeg
#706 3 months ago

Joined the club on Friday. Still working through some issues but that was expected. Poor thing hadn't been turned on in years. Plus, it had to have been routed in its previous life (lots of wear on the middle bonus area and some hacks to the rectifier board).

Currently, it sort of plays. Looking over schematics and fixing what I can before posting my "Help Wanted" ad. I already had my cat offer to help.

IMG_2130[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2129[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2143 (resized).JPG
#707 3 months ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Wow that Paragon sure took a long trip! Enjoy. My Paragon sits right next to a Space Invaders just like yours. Now just add a Future Spa, Embryon, or Hot Doggin to expand your wide body collection....

While I AM actively looking for a clean Embryon, I do have a Williams Scorpion wide body, not a whole lot of those around. I prefer the wide bodies over standard width. The only problem is that they take up more space!

#708 3 months ago

Anyone making nice quality Paragon apron decals yet? The ones from Classic Arcades suck to say the least.

#709 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Anyone making nice quality Paragon apron decals yet? The ones from Classic Arcades suck to say the least.

I’m holding out for when merfeldma makes high quality reproductions.

#710 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

@john_i Check out this thread. Pinsider @brenna98 has been making reproduction Bally aprons for two years now. Post in this forum that you'd be interested in a Paragon apron.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-bally-aprons/page/15#post-5116566

#711 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Alright, I posted in the apron thread but figured I would update here. I scanned the old apron, touched up the artwork, tweaked the colors to match my game better, added in custom cards and printed the new apron skin on a 20x30 photo at Sam's Club for $9.50. After carefully cutting and gluing the wrap in place it looks darn nice for now.

20190727_195526 (resized).jpg20190728_105413 (resized).jpg
#712 3 months ago

Was home for 48 hours this past weekend and did some reorganization. Couldn’t handle not having the three siblings all together.

D76A3BD5-5C6E-4703-98AA-AF463F9963BB (resized).jpeg
#713 3 months ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Love all the biggin’s. Paragon is in lineup now. Had a Space Invaders, Future Spa and Genie. Embryon coming soon. So much to do on Paragon.

Me too. I really want a Roller Disco. Mainly because the art is a total snapshot of the era like Paragon but a negative version and the gameplay is the same. I want one machine that you can drink a beer between flips.

#714 3 months ago
Quoted from Deezer5150:

Was home for 48 hours this past weekend and did some reorganization. Couldn’t handle not having the three siblings all together.[quoted image]

Pretty chubby group there! Even the Gottlieb.

... except Tommy. But he's psychosomatically deaf, dumb and blind.

#715 3 months ago
Quoted from Deezer5150:

Was home for 48 hours this past weekend and did some reorganization. Couldn’t handle not having the three siblings all together.[quoted image]

I LOVE that lineup!!

#716 3 months ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Pretty chubby group there! Even the Gottlieb.
... except Tommy. But he's psychosomatically deaf, dumb and blind.

Yeah.... Tommy doesn’t know he’s “different”. My next foray into storage I’ll pull out the siblings bastard cousin.... A Williams Scorpion!

EA5AB0C1-B7AA-43EE-ADC4-A6B920E2B1FA (resized).jpeg
#717 3 months ago

Need help with Paragon PF wiring.... I'm swapping a new PF wiring harness into a mint/clearcoated PF that unfortunately someone cut every connector plug off. After 5 hours today I hit a self inflicted brick wall. I have a donor PF but in my zeal to finish, I clipped off some light socket wiring without leaving enough wire to know what goes where.

I need help with the left side "Advance Bonus" lights, just right of the inline drops. There are 5 lights total, the 1st (front to rear) looks to be on the GI circuit with red wiring. I need the order of the other 4. My wiring choices (again front to rear) Yellow/white stripe, Yellow/green stripe, Black/gray stripe and Gray/red stripe. That order is my guess. The schematics aren't helping.

If anyone could lift their PF and shoot me a pic or send the correct order, I'd appreciate it. Hate to wire them up and then be wrong.

Thanks in advance!

#718 3 months ago

How’s this?

6969545B-D4FC-4947-839B-7D6CF7AA5233 (resized).jpeg
#719 3 months ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

How’s this?[quoted image]

THANKS! Heating up the iron now!

#720 3 months ago

PF is nice except for the hacked off connectors.

DSCN3623 (resized).JPG
#721 3 months ago

Do y'all prefer incandescents or warm white LEDs??

#722 3 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

That's a tough one to answer.
Some prefer incandescent while some prefer LED's is the quick and simple answer.

#723 3 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Depends on the game/vintage. For my classic Bally pins I generally go with incandescent bulbs for GI, and LEDs on all inserts. I also generally like warm white LEDs on red or orange inserts, and cool white on everything else. Warm white frosted LEDs for backboxes.

#724 3 months ago

Comet "sunlight" frosted LEDs look great in Paragon. Everywhere.

#725 3 months ago

That game is an utter badass machine! Having to play it in a tournament can be a real bitch!

Quoted from Deezer5150:

Yeah.... Tommy doesn’t know he’s “different”. My next foray into storage I’ll pull out the siblings bastard cousin.... A Williams Scorpion![quoted image]

#726 3 months ago

Just thought I'd drop by seeing as this game holds a special place in my heart... it was the game of my youth, sat next to a Bally Star Trek in the foyer of a cinema in Rotherham, England... I used to play the Star Trek (which always had 4 players playing) and win replays and then sell them to other people in the queue at 2 for the price of 1... then I'd use that money to play the Paragon, which was 10x better to play than Star Trek, but 10x harder to get replays... I'd always leave myself a credit or 2 on Star Trek and go back to that when my game was over on Paragon so I could rack up more replays, sell 2 off and go back to Paragon... keeping a track of whos credits were won by who was surprisingly easy as a kid... this was my routine for several months... the op was probably confused why there were more games played on Star Trek but more money in Paragon

Needless to say, when the concept of actually owning a pinball came to my mind, Paragon was the game I tracked down... and found... and still have...

2 weeks later
#727 84 days ago

I'm selling some paragon pop bumper caps here on inside, if anyone is interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/80023

2 weeks later
#728 65 days ago

Wanted to add some pizzazz to the beast's lair pop bumper in my paragon:

Here's the assembly:

20190907_150141 (resized).jpg20190907_150305 (resized).jpg
#729 64 days ago
Quoted from Leeezard:

Wanted to add some pizzazz to the beast's lair pop bumper in my paragon:

Here's the assembly:[quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet mod! I’m jealous.

I just replaced the lamp sockets in my pop bumpers with wedges, at least they don’t flake out anymore.

#730 64 days ago

If I’m not seeing things, it looks like CPR is finally working on the Paragon Playfields !!

#731 64 days ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Sweet mod! I’m jealous.
I just replaced the lamp sockets in my pop bumpers with wedges, at least they don’t flake out anymore.

Thanks! It's a super easy mod with just a little bit of soldering involved.

Replacing the lamp sockets in the pops is always a good move. I don't think I've ever seen a older pop bumper bayonet socket that still held tight, or wasn't covered in that white corrosion.

If I’m not seeing things, it looks like CPR is finally working on the Paragon Playfields !!

I wonder what the price is going to be on the CPR playfields? I'd love to put Paragon out on the floor for people to play, but playfield wear has got me nervous.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and just clearcoat what I have.

#732 64 days ago

It’s always a huge expense putting a new Playfield in an old game. You just gotta love it a lot, because you’ll never get your money back out of it!

#733 63 days ago
Quoted from Leeezard:

I wonder what the price is going to be on the CPR playfields? I'd love to put Paragon out on the floor for people to play, but playfield wear has got me nervous.
Maybe I should bite the bullet and just clearcoat what I have.

I have a playfield protector in my Paragon. I think these early SS machines are perfect candidates for this solution if you don’t want to go to the CC option yet. It will protect the current state and frankly I think my Paragon plays better with it ( I have a bit of cupping in my inserts, which the protector addresses).

Not everyone is a fan of these, but I think they have their uses.....

#734 63 days ago

Yes! Now that there seems to be some movement in the CPR progress the real question is do they have my pre-order! Any way to check?

#735 63 days ago

I was in day one three or 4 years ago. Kevin says they are still good from then. Don’t think there is any way of checking if they actually have you on the list

#736 63 days ago

Yea I was pretty late to the party (only pre-ordered about a year ago, so I have not waited nearly as long as most) so I have hopes of getting one of the playfields but know it could be hit or miss depending on the demand. Maybe with the new model (print on demand) it will go quickly if I miss out.

#737 62 days ago

I’m sure there will be enough for everyone , and extras for sale

3 weeks later
#738 41 days ago

Hey guys, does anyone know which transistor drives the beast layer pop bumper? The score switch works on it but the coil isn't firing. Thinking I might need to replace the transistor as I ran an alligator clip across all the Q transistors on the solenoid driver board and got all the upper pops to fire but not the beast lair. Wiring from PF to the back box seems fine and I have continuity on the coil and on J1 pin3 to the board, just couldn't locate the transistor on the schematics. Thanks

#739 41 days ago
Quoted from chaosrooster:

Hey guys, does anyone know which transistor drives the beast layer pop bumper? The score switch works on it but the coil isn't firing. Thinking I might need to replace the transistor as I ran an alligator clip across all the Q transistors on the solenoid driver board and got all the upper pops to fire but not the beast lair. Wiring from PF to the back box seems fine and I have continuity on the coil and on J1 pin3 to the board, just couldn't locate the transistor on the schematics. Thanks

Q2 drives the bottom pop.

#740 41 days ago

Thanks, I thought it was Q2 and it's dead to the alligator clip. Gonna order some TIP102 and replace it. I have TIP122 on hand but not sure if it's compatible. Thanks again.

#741 41 days ago

I thought it was Q2 and it's dead to the alligator clip

What do you mean by "dead to the alligator clip"?

#742 41 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

What do you mean by "dead to the alligator clip"?

When I try a jumper on the transistors Q2 does not fire the beast lair pop.

#743 41 days ago

When I try a jumper on the transistors Q2 does not fire the beast lair pop.

You mean grounding the metal tab of the Q2 transistor doesn't activate the pop bumper? If yes, grounding the metal tab of the driver transistor does not test the transistor. What this test does is tell you whether you have continuity from the transistor to the coil and it seems you don't. If there's no obvious connection issue with the black-red wire at the coil or at connector J1 pin 3 of the solenoid driver board, suspect a fractured solder joint on the pin header of J1 back of the solenoid driver board.

#744 41 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

You mean grounding the metal tab of the Q2 transistor doesn't activate the pop bumper? If yes, grounding the metal tab of the driver transistor does not test the transistor. What this test does is tell you whether you have continuity from the transistor to the coil and it seems you don't. If there's no obvious connection issue with the black-red wire at the coil or at connector J1 pin 3 of the solenoid driver board, suspect a fractured solder joint on the pin header of J1 back of the solenoid driver board.

Yes sorry that is what I meant. I thought it might be a cracked solder joint but pretty sure I reheated J1 pin 3 when I checked the back of the board previously. I will check it again. But I have continuity on the pin in the connector and I have 43v at the coil so thought it I would look further back on the board. I tried an alligator clip from ground to the coil but it didn't fire, maybe it's something on the coil like a bad diode?

#745 40 days ago

I tried an alligator clip from ground to the coil but it didn't fire, maybe it's something on the coil like a bad diode?

If you've got 43 volts at the yellow wire on the coil, then you should also measure 43 volts at the black-red wire on the coil. Do you? If not, the coil is open circuit. See if there's a break in one of the coil winding wires close to the coil lugs they connect to.

#746 40 days ago

Ok yellow wire on the coil measures 43 volts, black-red wire measured only 3 volts. Upon inspection, the black red wire lug does indeed have a break in the coil winding on the diode side. Attaching a pic, hopefully you can see it. Interesting, first time I've encountered something like this. Can I solder the coil winding back together or will I need to get a new coil?

1805010993 (resized).png
#747 40 days ago

I went ahead and soldered it...success! Finally Paragon 100% working in all it's glory. I might still order a coil just to have on hand, not sure if that coil winding will take all the abuse from the pop bumper firing. Thank you kindly again for helping me.

#748 40 days ago

the black red wire lug does indeed have a break in the coil winding on the diode side. Attaching a pic, hopefully you can see it.

Yeah it's a pretty clear break. That's very repairable. There's enough of that winding to let you solder it in the hole of the lug (scrape the enamel off the winding where you want to solder). Just leave the wire a little slack so it's not stressed and it will be good to go.
Anyway good to hear you sorted it out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 748 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside