Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160205_141446854[1]_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160205_140923115[1]_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160205_140928412[1]_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160205_140931880[1]_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

The previous owner of my Paragon apparently didn't like ball gates, so he took the wires out of all of them.

So, first question is does anyone know which wires go where?

Second, does anyone have any spares they might want to sell so I'm not stuck trying to bend new ones?

1 week later
#2 8 years ago

Does anyone have some closeup photos of the gates so I can figure out how to duplicate them? That would be super helpful.

1 month later
#3 8 years ago

There are 4 gates:
Leftmost eject hole (1)
Treasure falls gates (3)
Left bottom side near flipper (1)

Hope this helps.

IMG_20160205_140931880[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160205_140931880[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160205_140928412[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160205_140928412[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160205_140923115[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160205_140923115[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160205_141446854[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160205_141446854[1]_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

Sorry to go somewhat off topic, but what is the deal with the extra post at the left side of the opening between the Beast's Lair and the Pit? Mine does not have it, but I've seen it on other pictures, too. It's not on the brochure. Is this a factory variation or a mod/cheat? (BTW, The guy I bought mine from had a rubber stretched across the whole entrance!!!)

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Sorry to go somewhat off topic, but what is the deal with the extra post at the left side of the opening between the Beast's Lair and the Pit? Mine does not have it, but I've seen it on other pictures, too. It's not on the brochure. Is this a factory variation or a mod/cheat? (BTW, The guy I bought mine from had a rubber stretched across the whole entrance!!!)

Looks like a mod/cheat. I have an original and there is no post...

5 months later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

...what is the deal with the extra post at the left side of the opening between the Beast's Lair and the Pit? Mine does not have it, but I've seen it on other pictures, too. It's not on the brochure. Is this a factory variation or a mod/cheat?

Sorry, I am just now seeing this question, some many months later. If you look at the pictures of the playfield above, I can assure you that it is a original playfield. No mods. I bought the playfield (NOS, pre-wired, pre-populated) from CA Robinson many decades ago. If you also look in the gap between the two right flippers, you will also notice there is a wireform embedded and that too is original. I don't believe I have seen that on other PFs though. So perhaps it was a design change by the factory? Dunno, but on the one above, it is certainly not a mod.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Does anyone have some closeup photos of the gates so I can figure out how to duplicate them? That would be super helpful.

After re-reading your original question, do you still need closeups of the gates? I can certainly do that if you still are in need.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

'Paragon' is the first widebody production game from this manufacturer.

The standard version of this playfield has four flippers as shown on the flyer. An unknown quantity of the games shipped to Europe had only three flippers. In this version, a ball guide and a single post replaced the upper right flipper, and the flipper assembly was not installed. In addition, a mini-post was added at the opening beneath the pop bumper in the Beast’s Lair to make it more difficult for the ball to leave the playfield that way.

We asked designer Greg Kmiec to comment on why the 3-flipper version was created. He replies:

I wouldn't have originally designed Paragon with that lower right section that way because it looks like the pinball could get stuck between those two wire forms.

If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall that the Italian, French and German markets were quite strong for Bally during that period and Bally was often visited by various foreign distributors. I recall that they relayed the fact that their players liked to hold the pinball by the flippers. The way it was relayed to designers through interpreters was that their players liked to hold the pinball on the flipper, take a drink of beer and brag to other players about the skill shot they were about to shoot. That couldn't be done with the original Paragon design. I tried something different with Paragon, since it was Bally's first wide-body game. It was relayed to Bally that the foreign player preferred one return lane on each side at the bottom of the game that "returned" the pinball to the flippers for a playfield skill shot. This type of design became known within the industry as the "Italian Bottom." It was used extensively then throughout the industry and is still in use today.

I do seem to recall adjustments being made to Paragon for foreign games [to have the "Italian Bottom"]. I don't recall how many were changed or if they were changed for only one country or one distributor, but they were definitely changed in the factory on the production line. It might have been due to a combination of two factors: the foreign distributors requesting something their players wanted and Bally realizing a cost reduction on the Bill-Of-Materials by eliminating a flipper. Bally might have been willing to change part of a production run just to sell a new wide-body game.

Reportedly, all Paragon games in France have only 3 flippers.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from jimw917:

After re-reading your original question, do you still need closeups of the gates? I can certainly do that if you still are in need.

Yeah, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-ball-gates-where-and-what and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.