Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by BigAl56
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN5803 (resized).JPG
DSCN5802 (resized).JPG
DSCN5801 (resized).JPG
DSCN5800 (resized).JPG

#1 6 months ago

I've been bringing a Paragon back to life. Backstory is that I bought 2 of these in 2001 (yeah I work slow) and since getting a NOS BG, clearing a nice OE PF, this project moved forward. I used the 2 to build this one plus an additional PF. The cabinet and head were from a late production game #9489 and when finally hooking up the connectors to the boards it was impossible to attach the PF wiring to the MPU J1 and the Lamp J3. I had to cut 3 wire ties to free the harness enough to have enough free for the connectors. Also the cabinet wiring has later style (like Xenon) connectors with the black shield and top crimp connectors. PF has the early style white connectors. Back box wiring looks like a rat's nest now but I'll be able to clean that up with new zip ties.

Was Paragon when Bally switched connector types? If so, why would they do that mid production? I still need to replace more connectors to get this running

DSCN5800 (resized).JPGDSCN5801 (resized).JPGDSCN5802 (resized).JPGDSCN5803 (resized).JPG
#2 6 months ago

I can't see the wire colors enough to tell but it looks like you may have the 28 pin connectors at MPU J1 and LDB J1 in the wrong locations based on the connector types.

MPU J1 doesn't run to the playfield, it's wires go to the lamp driver board and the displays so should be one of the black covered IDC connectors like the other backbox connectors.

LDB J1 and J3 run to the playfield lamps so should both be the same connector type - in your case the older crimp style.

#3 6 months ago

Thanks Quench, good call. I had those reversed.

#4 6 months ago

I think Bally and other makers were experimenting with different connector styles, or the harness line ran out and had to make due with what they could get on short notice. You didn't stop the productions lines that were running 24/7 because of something like this. I've definitely gotten early williams games that had the IDC type and then later ones that didn't, seemingly randomly, ditto with Bally games.

IDC isn't necessarily bad, only if its been abused.

#5 6 months ago

I do not think the switch was made to IDC connectors on Paragon. When production moved to the new Bensenville factory we made the swap. IDC connectors were a great labor saving component. Both Molex and AMP made IDC connectors. My personal choice for the lab was AMP. However, not to play favorites, we used one manufacturer for the backbox and another for the playfield. I think Amp was the backbox and Molex got the cabinet and playfield.
Maybe someone with a a factory original IDC game can verify that?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Worcester , MA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside