View topic image gallery

4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f.jpg
7c03115c2f96b6854e0eedf85c518914d3c1a9a9.jpg
11651027_10207646592987007_147933239_n.jpg
IMG_0586 (resized).JPG
P7021091 (resized).JPG
191521_1610595300768_4637728_o (resized).jpg
images (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah it certainly is but as these "CPR Artist" have done in the past they will get it done! Just have to remember that they don't do this for money so it's done as time permits so it will take time!

Time it does take. I put in an uncounted number of hours (estimated 300-500hrs over two+ years) drawing Medusa at 6400% zoom (11 color layers counting black, by far the most detail and hardest), and even more on Flash Gordon before that. If memory serves, when the films were found to be unusable, I think Stu was going to draw Paragon, he's much faster than me, so it should be well in hand (if not already done).

-Jim

PS And yes Paragon is an excellent game. I'm waiting on a field too for mine. I do like play on some other early Bally's better though. In order Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon/Centaur/Medusa (3 way tie)

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Hope its better than the backglass cause that was crap.

Four color process backglass vs spot playfield (or spot color glass) are two completely different animals. Reproductions of the former will always be inferior copies of the original (the Xerox effect) whereas the latter (spot color artwork) can be as good or in the case of CPR better_ than original. This is due to the fact that spot colors can be traced exactly and trapped properly. Errors in the original art can even be fixed (and there are many small errors especially in trapping and key lines). The four color process (think many tiny dots of cyan, magenta, yellow and black like a magazine image is made) will always suffer from generational loss as the dots making up the original art are themselves an analog of the original painting used for the backglass and the process cannot be reversed to get a copy as good as the first one was from the original art. Still a reproduced backglass by CPR is far better than a beat peeling scratched glass or no glass at all.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Jim, ironic that you chime in as I was going to use you as an example as I know I bugged you for year(s) on Medusa but I don't like to throw people's names out there!
If Stu is drawing Paragon that's great as to your point he's probably the quickest one when it comes to drawing. I don't know how he finds all the time to do the amount of work he does!

Yes I remember our exchanges. I hope you enjoy your Medusa field. Long story, but mine is still in the process of being swapped (but it is underway). I can't wait to play it soon.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

So which one would YOU use...

Undeniably, the one on the left is clearly the glass I would use, no doubt. That is the original, and from the picture looks to be in near perfect shape. My comment on a repro being better than a peeling, blistered, scratched or otherwise missing original is still relevant. With such a perfect original, one should never consider the repro when it comes to 4 color backglasses.

Now on to the color, which is clearly one of the biggest problem people have had with the repros. There is no doubt that the repros have big issues with color. The saturation is miles off (as are some of the colors on certain glasses). I can only offer that CPR knows this and thinks they have a solution that will work better for the future. Clearly the early runs/attempts had significant issues, and my understanding is those arose from several sources. One had something to do with the hole size of the screens used and how that affected the colors. Another may have been the ink (I don't have the real specific details, though they were explained to me once or twice).

I will state however my own personal belief again. When it comes to playfield and plastic reproductions that are spot color pieces, I have very few if any reservations on quality and would jump at using repros in my machines. I don't personally feel the same way about backglass repros and have avoided them if I have an acceptable original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-2?tu=heckheck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.