74%
  • Uh, it is Paragon after all... 2 votes
    6%
  • Three balls per game counts as multiball right? 0 votes
  • Lost my keys in the beast's lair, back in a minute. 7 votes
    21%

(34 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f.jpg
7c03115c2f96b6854e0eedf85c518914d3c1a9a9.jpg
11651027_10207646592987007_147933239_n.jpg
IMG_0586 (resized).JPG
P7021091 (resized).JPG
191521_1610595300768_4637728_o (resized).jpg
images (resized).png

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 months ago

discuss

#2 4 months ago

What?

#5 4 months ago

The Beast's Lair indeed.

#6 4 months ago

images (resized).png

#7 4 months ago

Tarter sauce!

#8 4 months ago

No soap, radio!

#9 4 months ago

I'm not sayin shit until you pass the pipe...

#10 4 months ago

Perhaps some explanation. The more I play the game the more I am convinced it is a top three game of all time. Sure, I don't play it every day, it doesn't have 'multiball' play, and there's plenty other games offer that it doesn't. However, I can't see a serious pinball enthusiast being able to argue it shouldn't be part of the pinball canon - it's just got too much to help new players learn from - it's a constant challenge to rack up a good score and it just never ceases to please me to play it. I'm just really enthusiastic about this game and it has a name that matches its place in pinball as I see it.

Is it TZ or TAF? No, but then again, we should expect technical progress to mean positive changes. Nonetheless, and without being really ahead of it's time like a game like the original Fireball, it's a solid player that is great in tournaments, a skill builder, and a machine that was really telling about what Bally would be putting out for the next few years. I raise a glass to toast Paragon!

Did I mention how much I love this game? Many of the newer games I'm already bored of, Paragon...ha!

#11 4 months ago

I've been trying to find one to buy for 4 years. 2 of them now have came up within an hour of me and they were sold nearly immediately. The latest one has me pretty bummed out, I check pinside and Craigslist relentlessly and somehow I'm still too slow.

I grew up with this pin in the house as a kid. A lot of sentimental value to me.

It's a great older pin, the artwork is fantastic. If you own one count yourself lucky indeed.

#12 4 months ago

Best sound package and theme integration ever

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Best sound package and theme integration ever

Seawitch also has a great sound package, but Paragon is a better player (I own both). Paragon was one of my three favorite pins growing up (along with Black Hole and Haunted House), and it frustrated me while I played it, but it made me a better player.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've been trying to find one to buy for 4 years. 2 of them now have came up within an hour of me and they were sold nearly immediately. The latest one has me pretty bummed out, I check pinside and Craigslist relentlessly and somehow I'm still too slow.
I grew up with this pin in the house as a kid. A lot of sentimental value to me.
It's a great older pin, the artwork is fantastic. If you own one count yourself lucky indeed.

@pcprogrammer I notice that Paragon is not in your Pinside wishlist. After adding this game to your wishlist Pinside will send you an email in the evening letting you know that someone posted a Paragon in the Marketplace sometime that day. The problem is that you could receive that email many hours after it was posted for sale and it may already be sold. If you make a one-time or continuing contribution to Pinside you will receive an email a minute after someone posts one of your wishlist games in the Marketplace.

#15 4 months ago

Has anyone ever tried swapping a short flipper on the upper right side?

#16 4 months ago

It's the game that taught me my pinball skills. If you just flail away, you'll pay the price. If you miss your shots, you'll pay the price. However, if you make your shots and control the ball, you'll be handsomely rewarded.

#17 4 months ago

You haven’t experienced frustration until the first time that you double flipped on a Paragon

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

pcprogrammer I notice that Paragon is not in your Pinside wishlist. After adding this game to your wishlist Pinside will send you an email in the evening letting you know that someone posted a Paragon in the Marketplace sometime that day. The problem is that you could receive that email many hours after it was posted for sale and it may already be sold. If you make a one-time or continuing contribution to Pinside you will receive an email a minute after someone posts one of your wishlist games in the Marketplace.

I've had it on my wishlist before, not sure what happened. Just frustrating to be shut out for years of the one game I've always wanted. So is life...

#19 4 months ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've had it on my wishlist before, not sure what happened. Just frustrating to be shut out for years of the one game I've always wanted. So is life...

I messaged some friends that live in WI and Chicago. Maybe I can help you track one down.

#20 4 months ago

The lower Playfield is always trashed on the ones I find. Also after looking at the backglass again I don't like it, but then again, I don't like a lot of backglasses.
Put a lot of quarters in these when they were new.

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I messaged some friends that live in WI and Chicago. Maybe I can help you track one down.

Cool, thanks

#22 4 months ago

There are many out there. But the owners usually don't want to sell them. I sold 5 over the years, & had #1001 production sample from Newfoundland. Came back here & had weird colors in the backglass. Was stamped in the head, so likely a location test game for Canada. Sold it to a guy in Ottawa cheap. One of the best Bally pins to own from the early electronic era! I have 3 close friends that have them, & one mint original I bought in New Jersey.

#23 4 months ago

How to activate Paragon's "wizard mode"

1. Insert quarter
2. Pull plunger

(edit: skip step 1 if you own it, in that case you are probably a good pinball player)

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

There are many out there. But the owners usually don't want to sell them. I sold 5 over the years, & had #1001 production sample from Newfoundland. Came back here & had weird colors in the backglass. Was stamped in the head, so likely a location test game for Canada. Sold it to a guy in Ottawa cheap. One of the best Bally pins to own from the early electronic era! I have 3 close friends that have them, & one mint original I bought in New Jersey.

Also CPR has been working on the artwork for their reproduction playfield for three years now, but someone I know said that they are almost ready to start producing this title. Great timing as I preordered a playfield and then I found a dirt cheap project with a really high quality original playfield, very little wear.

#25 4 months ago

My favourite pin.
Playfield restore completed

#26 4 months ago

My son is 7 now, but here is a pic of him only a few months old on my paragon. I dunno if I'd challenge him to a game tho.

191521_1610595300768_4637728_o (resized).jpg

#27 4 months ago

Ive played it and i just feel its a big drain monster, first game ever to make me real furious. LOL

#28 4 months ago

Paragon used to make me cringe when it came out. I ignored it. Too short and frustrating.

Flash forward many years.

I love paragon and want it.
The game is challenging and fun. I have only begun to love it. I will get one too.

Paragon. It levels the playing field. In my opinion.

And it calls to me now. Which makes it close to perfect for me.

#29 4 months ago

My 1st love! 1st to enter last to leave! If I didnt put her into storage from '97 to 2010 I would have stayed interested in pinball and built my collection a hell of a lot cheaper.

#30 4 months ago

Looking to pick one up this weekend! Also put myself on the CPR list. Hopefully they can sort out the screens soon, then it'll be my first attempt at a pinball "restoration." but only if the CPR playfield shakes out

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Hopefully they can sort out the screens soon,

Not sure what you mean by "sort out the screens" as the artwork is having to be re-drawn from scratch! The original films turned out to be a bust so they're now relying on one of he CPR Artist to re-draw the playfield! This can take years to happen, unfortunately! This is the same for Space Invaders as well!

#32 4 months ago

My goal is to buy first pin by the end of 2018. Budget probably not higher than $2K. Leading criteria:

-An early SS not too complicated on the PF to fix/maintain, I will work my way up to those
-A pin that kicks my ass until I become the player I know I can become, and then still keeps me humble

Paragon is certainly in the running, if a seller with the right deal comes about. As noted, not many owners like to part with them.

Quoted from meSz:

The original films turned out to be a bust so they're now relying on one of he CPR Artist to re-draw the playfield! This can take years to happen, unfortunately!

https://images.pinside.com/1/14/1143b57da7a5dd596bd51f3dc6b432622f7301dc/resized/largish/1143b57da7a5dd596bd51f3dc6b432622f7301dc.jpg

That's quite an intricate design to redraw.

#33 4 months ago

I really love this game and have had the fortune to play the USA and European versions. USA version is a bit more challenging but both are fun. I love the shots, the different ways of racking up bonuses, working your way up the in line drops... amazing game. I've been looking for a nice one for about 2 years myself but it has eluded me. Ah but I remember the days when EBD was eluding me. Looked for it for a couple of years. Then I found an LE players game and swooped it up. Low and behold 3 months later a standard came for sale nearly in my backyard with perfect playfield. I got it, did some fixing on the LE and sold it to a friend. Maybe I'll get that luck with Paragon?

#34 4 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Not sure what you mean by "sort out the screens" as the artwork is having to be re-drawn from scratch! The original films turned out to be a bust so they're now relying on one of he CPR Artist to re-draw the playfield! This can take years to happen, unfortunately! This is the same for Space Invaders as well!

I meant silkscreens. Having to redraw everything from scratch sounds like one hell of a project. Thank you for informing me!

#35 4 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I meant silkscreens. Having to redraw everything from scratch sounds like one hell of a project. Thank you for informing me!

Yeah it certainly is but as these "CPR Artist" have done in the past they will get it done! Just have to remember that they don't do this for money so it's done as time permits so it will take time!

I remember reading that Kevin had purchased a new sander that accommodates the wide playfields so I am sure he would love nothing more than to have some wide playfields to run through it! Figure Paragon and SI are on their list to do but there are still others out there that can be done like Embryon, Hot Dog, Future Spa just to name a few Bally machines. If he were able to get the license to do Gottlieb there is a deluge of wide-body pf he could do! Per IPDB there were 95 SS wide-body machines made. Of course some are conversions and non-desirable games but still a lot of options!

#36 4 months ago

Anyone used a playfield protector for Paragon?

How do you like it? Is it the one from "playfield protectors"?

My Paragon needs one bad to fix the cupped inserts.

#37 4 months ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yes, works well. Easy to install.

#38 4 months ago
Quoted from pinlink:

When I had a Paragon I got one of the first ones made. It did what it was supposed to and saved my artwork from further deteriorating. I recommend getting one to cover those cupped inserts. My first pinball machine and I still have a place in my heart for it.

#39 4 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah it certainly is but as these "CPR Artist" have done in the past they will get it done! Just have to remember that they don't do this for money so it's done as time permits so it will take time!
I remember reading that Kevin had purchased a new sander that accommodates the wide playfields so I am sure he would love nothing more than to have some wide playfields to run through it! Figure Paragon and SI are on their list to do but there are still others out there that can be done like Embryon, Hot Dog, Future Spa just to name a few Bally machines. If he were able to get the license to do Gottlieb there is a deluge of wide-body pf he could do! Per IPDB there were 95 SS wide-body machines made. Of course some are conversions and non-desirable games but still a lot of options!

Good to know that it will get done, if eventually. This will afford me some time to be able to enjoy the game and not worry about the PF getting blown out, at least not as much. I'm just hoping its not too long, but I really enjoy fast brutal games and I think I'll end up keeping this one for some time, but who knows, things happen. Might not even come home with it if it's bad enough.

#40 4 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Time it does take. I put in an uncounted number of hours (estimated 300-500hrs over two+ years) drawing Medusa at 6400% zoom (11 color layers counting black, by far the most detail and hardest), and even more on Flash Gordon before that. If memory serves, when the films were found to be unusable, I think Stu was going to draw Paragon, he's much faster than me, so it should be well in hand (if not already done).

-Jim

PS And yes Paragon is an excellent game. I'm waiting on a field too for mine. I do like play on some other early Bally's better though. In order Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon/Centaur/Medusa (3 way tie)

#41 4 months ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Time it does take. I put in an uncounted number of hours (estimated 300-500hrs over two+ years) drawing Medusa at 6400% zoom (11 color layers counting black, by far the most detail and hardest), and even more on Flash Gordon before that. If memory serves, when the films were found to be unusable, I think Stu was going to draw Paragon, he's much faster than me, so it should be well in hand (if not already done).
-Jim

Hope its better than the backglass cause that was crap.

#42 4 months ago
Quoted from Toads:

Which one Medusa or Attack of the Tomato People Flash Gordon?

#43 4 months ago
Quoted from Toads:

Four color process backglass vs spot playfield (or spot color glass) are two completely different animals. Reproductions of the former will always be inferior copies of the original (the Xerox effect) whereas the latter (spot color artwork) can be as good or in the case of CPR better_ than original. This is due to the fact that spot colors can be traced exactly and trapped properly. Errors in the original art can even be fixed (and there are many small errors especially in trapping and key lines). The four color process (think many tiny dots of cyan, magenta, yellow and black like a magazine image is made) will always suffer from generational loss as the dots making up the original art are themselves an analog of the original painting used for the backglass and the process cannot be reversed to get a copy as good as the first one was from the original art. Still a reproduced backglass by CPR is far better than a beat peeling scratched glass or no glass at all.

#44 4 months ago
Quoted from heckheck:

-Jim
PS And yes Paragon is an excellent game. I'm waiting on a field too for mine. I do like play on some other early Bally's better though. In order Fathom, Flash Gordon, Paragon/Centaur/Medusa (3 way tie)

Jim, ironic that you chime in as I was going to use you as an example as I know I bugged you for year(s) on Medusa but I don't like to throw people's names out there!

If Stu is drawing Paragon that's great as to your point he's probably the quickest one when it comes to drawing. I don't know how he finds all the time to do the amount of work he does!

#45 4 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Jim, ironic that you chime in as I was going to use you as an example as I know I bugged you for year(s) on Medusa but I don't like to throw people's names out there!
If Stu is drawing Paragon that's great as to your point he's probably the quickest one when it comes to drawing. I don't know how he finds all the time to do the amount of work he does!

Yes I remember our exchanges. I hope you enjoy your Medusa field. Long story, but mine is still in the process of being swapped (but it is underway). I can't wait to play it soon.

#46 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Which one Medusa or Attack of the Tomato People Flash Gordon?

Was talking paragon

#47 4 months ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Still a reproduced backglass by CPR is far better than a beat peeling scratched glass or no glass at all.

So which one would YOU use...

P7021091 (resized).JPG

#48 4 months ago

Oh and to help you judge, here's the original...

IMG_0586 (resized).JPG

#49 4 months ago

I'd heard from someone that the color process for BGs like Flash Gordon and Paragon was corrected and that at some point they'll be redone. Here's to hoping. Luckily, mine is in great shape. Never hurts to have a backup though. I'm thinking about a CPR repro even though mine is in great shape. Main problem I have are sunken inserts. Also considered having HEP or HSA or Neo or Kruzman do a clear job on it but I don't think I could go that long without playing it! Besides, the occasional dip or twist in direction from sagging into a sunken insert just adds to the character of the game.

#50 4 months ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Also considered having HEP or HSA or Neo or Kruzman do a

HSA is retiring! He currently states he is taking on clear-coat jobs but not sure how long that will last! (see quote from his site below"

"Jan 2018 update: This will be my last year restoring playfields and I will retire from the playfield business at the end of 2018. We currently have a heavy workload of playfield jobs (60+) that I need to finish in 2018. I will limit taking in additional playfields to just clear coating only jobs."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside