72%
  • Uh, it is Paragon after all... 2 votes
    6%
  • Three balls per game counts as multiball right? 0 votes
  • Lost my keys in the beast's lair, back in a minute. 8 votes
    22%

(36 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f.jpg
7c03115c2f96b6854e0eedf85c518914d3c1a9a9.jpg
11651027_10207646592987007_147933239_n.jpg
IMG_0586 (resized).JPG
P7021091 (resized).JPG
191521_1610595300768_4637728_o (resized).jpg
images (resized).png

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

Here's a brief history of my experience with Paragon over the last 6 years.

I did a full restore on mine in 2011. I restored the playfield that included removing all the inserts, leveling them and re-gluing every one. Touched up everything and put automotive clear on it. Sanded, leveled, sanded, leveled many times; buffed for hours. It became an obsession. The cabinet was repainted and restored. I painted the inside of the bottom cab bright metallic gold to look like a treasure chest. Since then, I have bought three others just because they were available....really. I have an NOS playfield that I'm restoring even though my cleared original looks incredible. My Beast's Lair has a red flasher in it wired to the pop bumper. I bought an extra CPR plastic set that I don't need (original looks better btw). I bought a new backglass that I returned to Marco because it looked so bad. I also have a Lost World backglass hanging above my Paragon. I'm down to two Paragons now, but I still have the 2011 restored one and the other one is in my restoration queue. I'd like to do another cabinet with Pinball Pimp stencils since they are better than the Pinball Pal ones I originally used (there were no Pimp stencils in 2011).

I don't know how many clear coated Paragon playfields are out there being used, but the game plays incredibly well when flat (no insert issues), cleared and waxed. Very fast! And, it's gorgeous. And, that's why it sits next to my Fathom.

My only question is, why has it taken this long to recognize this phenomenal game?

I think when new playfields hit the market and more people get to play this game restored, more people with understand that it's awesome on so many levels.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Here's a brief history of my experience with Paragon over the last 6 years.
I did a full restore on mine in 2011. I restored the playfield that included removing all the inserts, leveling them and re-gluing every one. Touched up everything and put automotive clear on it. Sanded, leveled, sanded, leveled many times; buffed for hours. It became an obsession. The cabinet was repainted and restored. I painted the inside of the bottom cab bright metallic gold to look like a treasure chest. Since then, I have bought three others just because they were available....really. I have an NOS playfield that I'm restoring even though my cleared original looks incredible. My Beast's Lair has a red flasher in it wired to the pop bumper. I bought an extra CPR plastic set that I don't need (original looks better btw). I bought a new backglass that I returned to Marco because it looked so bad. I also have a Lost World backglass hanging above my Paragon. I'm down to two Paragons now, but I still have the 2011 restored one and the other one is in my restoration queue. I'd like to do another cabinet with Pinball Pimp stencils since they are better than the Pinball Pal ones I originally used (there were no Pimp stencils in 2011).
I don't know how many clear coated Paragon playfields are out there being used, but the game plays incredibly well when flat (no insert issues), cleared and waxed. Very fast! And, it's gorgeous. And, that's why it sits next to my Fathom.
My only question is, why has it taken this long to recognize this phenomenal game?
I think when new playfields hit the market and more people get to play this game restored, more people with understand that it's awesome on so many levels.

How many games of the restored one in 2011 have you played?

#53 1 year ago

Last night at the league at ayci gogi, i picked paragon and took second. I would have been first but one of the other guys was just winning every game on me. So i started getting the seconds.

Once again Paragon just crushed the other two.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Toads:

So which one would YOU use...

Undeniably, the one on the left is clearly the glass I would use, no doubt. That is the original, and from the picture looks to be in near perfect shape. My comment on a repro being better than a peeling, blistered, scratched or otherwise missing original is still relevant. With such a perfect original, one should never consider the repro when it comes to 4 color backglasses.

Now on to the color, which is clearly one of the biggest problem people have had with the repros. There is no doubt that the repros have big issues with color. The saturation is miles off (as are some of the colors on certain glasses). I can only offer that CPR knows this and thinks they have a solution that will work better for the future. Clearly the early runs/attempts had significant issues, and my understanding is those arose from several sources. One had something to do with the hole size of the screens used and how that affected the colors. Another may have been the ink (I don't have the real specific details, though they were explained to me once or twice).

I will state however my own personal belief again. When it comes to playfield and plastic reproductions that are spot color pieces, I have very few if any reservations on quality and would jump at using repros in my machines. I don't personally feel the same way about backglass repros and have avoided them if I have an acceptable original.

1 week later
#55 1 year ago

11651027_10207646592987007_147933239_n.jpg

7c03115c2f96b6854e0eedf85c518914d3c1a9a9.jpg

4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f.jpg

#56 1 year ago

Nice Paragon mod! Where did you find it?

#57 1 year ago

Not sure if anyone saw the CPR status, but the artwork is complete and they say theyre going to make ut a 2018 production! Sweet! I ended up with the one I alluded to earlier btw

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

they say theyre going to make ut a 2018 production!

Wow. Really does say 2018 on their website. Great news for those trashed Paragons out there.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Wow. Really does say 2018 on their website. Great news for those trashed Paragons out there.

i preordered a CPR playfield before I even owned a Paragon. Now I own a Paragon with an excellent playfield, minus two small wear areas. Now I have to decide between:

Spot touch up playfield and spot clear over it OR
Strip the mylar and varnish, touch up paint, then clear coat OR
Install a new CPR playfield

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 157.00
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wien, WIEN
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 30.00
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside