image_(3).jpeg
image_(8).jpeg
image_(7).jpeg
image_(9).jpeg
Bill_Lumberg.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hello all
New guy here, in Michigan.

Looking at picking up a Bally Paragon. It needs a backglass, and normal work (after sitting for years of no use). the Playfield looks great, and largely the cabinet is good, but that backglass....

I watched a couple videos on youtube, and I think it could be a nice game, but looks just a little slow.

I checked out the ratings on IPDB, and it's mixed, some love some do not per normal,
is Paragon worth the floorspace?

with 9000 produced, it sure seems like somebody would be making glass for this, but the net seems devoid of this title. Any leads appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#3 11 years ago

CPR has it in the list to be made, so it's a matter of time. I'm holding out for one in mine. In the meantime it is not too hard to find a used glass with issues to get by. But don't overpay on a maching w/o the bg, unless it is a must have title and you are willing to sacrifice on the price to just have the game. Plenty of games out there to start with. FYI I picked up my paragon with faded cab, lifting in the backglass, no CPU boot due to corrosion and a little center playfield wear to top it off for $200 if that gives you a reference point. In good condition cosmeticly and working they seem to pull $1000+/-.

Jon

#4 11 years ago

I have a friend who has a Paragon that was purchased in a project state. Overall based on your description it sounds worthwhile. This is especially true if this is your first pin, or you don't have other titles that are similar from that era. As far as gameplay goes it will give you and your guests an alternative to whatever else might be in your game room.

The great playfield alone makes it worth pursuing, lots of great artwork. Take good care of it. If the cabinet is largely good I would start investigating restoring it to great. That is a cool looking cabinet. The backglass is difficult to find in great shape. Save your pennies for a backglass, then when one comes up or if ever a repro becomes available you'll have the financial backing to make a good stab at obtaining one.

If you purchase it for a reasonably good price and get tired of it, you can always sell it.

#5 11 years ago

I'm a little biased but I think it's the best of the 5 Bally widebodies. One of the most beautiful pins ever made! Great pin to sharpen your skills on.

#6 11 years ago

Its more of a looker than player. Welcome. I am in GR and work in Portage. Maybe we can get together and play some pinball! Also, if you want someone to look over the machine let me know.

#7 11 years ago

Paragon is a GREAT game. I bought a decent one years ago and it is one of my favorites from that era. I was lucky enough to score an NOS playfield a while back as well as cabinet stencils while you could still get stuff from Pinball Pal. I'm excited to see the backglass may be close from CPR.

If you like classic Bally games, this one is a winner. It has only chimes with no background music, so you need to be OK with this older style. It is also a single ball game, which turns some people off.

If you're OK with those things, this game is great. In-line drops FTW!

#8 11 years ago

Paragon was my first pin. Loved it. The only reason I sold was because someone offered me almost double what I paid a week after I got it.

#9 11 years ago

It's a great player, and a staple of league and tourney lineups! It was one of the tie-breakers for the A bubble guys at Pinburgh last year. Tap passes in tourney = money in the bank!

I love the game, one of my favorites from that era!

"Needs a backglass" is a little scary, though. I don't think they're out there or any immediate plans to repro them, so price it accordingly! (low!)

#10 11 years ago

Awesome Paragon tutorial from Bowen:

http://vimeo.com/20231233

#11 11 years ago

Thanks much guys. I just pulled the trigger based on the likelyhood of CPR making a backglass....thanks for the heads up OTTOgd.

I may just put a cover over it and sit on it for a project later, just didn't want to see it slip through my fingers. The artwork on the cabinet is reminiscent of old traveling carnival art, and carnival art posters. Its' a really pretty cabinet and playfield, so with new glass.. someday.. it will really pop. I don't think I'll lose money on it and it will be my first "wide body"

My other games.... so far... are
Firepower
Strikes And Spares (naughty, but going to do a full restoration on it, already preordered a playfield from CPR, a cool mancave item and seems to be popular for it's "artwork")

Silverball Mania (too naughty for my wife, wants me to sell it as we have kids and kids friends over etc...and with the guy basically mating with the pinball in the backglass, she had some issues, I can understand it but 5 years from now it wont matter when the kids are moved on)

and
Fireball Classic.

Speaking of Fireball Classic I also need a backglass for it, so if anybody has one collecting dust, please let me know. Mine has about 2 inches of the paint loose across the entire bottom of the glass. All the paint is complete, I just haven't decided how to glue it back down for a temporary fix. It's largely in two sheets at about the half line, I'm thinking some decal adhesive (like water transfer decals) and smoothing out the sheet of paint with a soft rubber squeegee, then a little touch up at the "split line" and then doing the triple thick on the back to lock it all down/together. I'm learning the importance of good glass. It's largely a junky looking toy without good artwork.

thanks again

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Kzooandy:

Thanks much guys. I just pulled the trigger based on the likelyhood of CPR making a backglass....thanks for the heads up OTTOgd.

I don't think you'll regret it. Paragon is a great game, and the CPR backglass will look amazing, guaranteed.

-Wes

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Paragon is a GREAT game.

I LOVE mine! ...best artwork of all pins IMHO - and its really fun to play as well! You will be happy you picked it up.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from jonpin:

CPR has it in the list to be made, so it's a matter of time. I'm holding out for one in mine. In the meantime it is not too hard to find a used glass with issues to get by. But don't overpay on a maching w/o the bg, unless it is a must have title and you are willing to sacrifice on the price to just have the game. Plenty of games out there to start with. FYI I picked up my paragon with faded cab, lifting in the backglass, no CPU boot due to corrosion and a little center playfield wear to top it off for $200 if that gives you a reference point. In good condition cosmeticly and working they seem to pull $1000+/-.
Jon

Well.. I paid a bit more right at $450 for this one, so after a backglass I'll be at nearly $800 or so. Maybe I should have lo-balled a little more. I've yet to find pinball's priced in the $200 range...for any title. I'm sure I will spend a couple more hundred on cleanup, bulbs, plastics if needed, electronics (hopefully nothing major) etc. I guess this is a "labor of love" because the "buy to sell" thing seems to be a slim/non existent margin. I guess you have to declare pinball as "recreation" to some degree, because even if you're given a game and handed $200 to boot, you could still easily go upside down on one.
I do all my own work which to me is quite fun. I am even going to start doing some display transistor/resistor replacement after reading some other info out there. I guess at least I got it secured. I imagine each year something happens where there is less and less of them out there ,fires, floods, etc. There is a natural "consumption" rate to things in the world, so it should at least hold value over time with proper care.

#15 11 years ago

$800 total for a Paragon. Congratulations, it's a good score!!!!! It truly is some of the best artwork in all of pinball.

#16 11 years ago

Okay, enough chitter-chatter; you did great.

Now give us the goods! A little pinball pron would be nice reward for our hard work!

PICS! PICS! PICS! ...

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Okay, enough chitter-chatter; you did great.
Now give us the goods! A little pinball pron would be nice reward for our hard work!
PICS! PICS! PICS! ...

Ok I'll get some pics when I pick it up early next week. It's just a few miles away, but I need NOT to be distracted this weekend, I've got a bunch of work that must get done (funds the pinball madness).

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

...best artwork of all pins

EVER ! just needed to add that . Cabinet, Backglass , Playfield everything is just really a great work of art . 33 years and not a better looking game , Its the best for sure.

#19 11 years ago

Paragon never gets old. Very challenging game, its a keeper. Good luck with your new pin.

#20 11 years ago

Its more of a looker than player.

Um, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

Bill_Lumberg.jpgBill_Lumberg.jpg

#21 11 years ago

When you pick her up check if she still has the Greg Kmiec Red post to the left of the spinner. Enjoy!
http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/redpost/redpost.html
Just read the post above me; I'd say Space invaders is more of a looker than a player.

#22 11 years ago

that era of games seem to play slow...well slower than newer style, awesome game, and the backglass might be a blessing if you put a brand new repro...all bout asking price, without glass...gotta be below $650?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Um, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

You get extra karma for tying in your response with your avatar.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Awesome Paragon tutorial from Bowen:
» Vimeo video

after watching this video...about 3 times...I think this game may be the first in my basement.

Thanks for the link.

#25 11 years ago

these are cool machines, have the susan B anthony dollar third coin slot...

#26 11 years ago

+1 for Paragon. Beautiful eye candy, and a challenging game to master.

#27 11 years ago

Don't know if any reproductions have been mad e but you might check with mayfairamusment.com and see if they have your BG.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Kzooandy:

Well.. I paid a bit more right at $450 for this one, so after a backglass I'll be at nearly $800 or so. Maybe I should have lo-balled a little more. I've yet to find pinball's priced in the $200 range...for any title. I'm sure I will spend a couple more hundred on cleanup, bulbs, plastics if needed, electronics (hopefully nothing major) etc. I guess this is a "labor of love" because the "buy to sell" thing seems to be a slim/non existent margin. I guess you have to declare pinball as "recreation" to some degree, because even if you're given a game and handed $200 to boot, you could still easily go upside down on one.
I do all my own work which to me is quite fun. I am even going to start doing some display transistor/resistor replacement after reading some other info out there. I guess at least I got it secured. I imagine each year something happens where there is less and less of them out there ,fires, floods, etc. There is a natural "consumption" rate to things in the world, so it should at least hold value over time with proper care.

If you are in this hobby long enough the deals like that just kind of happen. I tend to make the "don't really want it" offer and sometimes it works out. This one was a package deal of 2 machines. Laser Cue and Paragon. Probably would have paid more if it was by itself.

#29 11 years ago

Picked it up today.

I think I'm going to do a scratch rebuild of the backbox. Looks like it was sitting on the right side on a wet floor for some time. What a bummer ....more work than I though.

image_(9).jpegimage_(9).jpeg image_(7).jpegimage_(7).jpeg image_(8).jpegimage_(8).jpeg image_(3).jpegimage_(3).jpeg image_(2).jpegimage_(2).jpeg image_(4).jpegimage_(4).jpeg

#30 11 years ago

It has one of the solid red (not transparent) posts.

Overall still very happy to have it.... just a bigger project.

image_(5).jpegimage_(5).jpeg

#31 11 years ago

Congrats Kzooandy! You're gonna love this pin. Once you clean her up and replace the cracked rubbers you're ready to play! Stick her up against the wall to hide that head

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Kzooandy:

It has one of the solid red (not transparent) posts.

That solid red post is supposed to be there , Its like a trademark for one of the designers or something . Not sure on the whole story , But a few friends and I were just discussing this not too long ago , They knew much more than me about it than I did .

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

That solid red post is supposed to be there , Its like a trademark for one of the designers or something . Not sure on the whole story , But a few friends and I were just discussing this not too long ago , They knew much more than me about it than I did .

Greg Kmiec's signature:

#34 11 years ago

Pf looks like its in great shape.

The rest will clean up nicely.

#35 11 years ago

Looks great! Congrats!

#36 11 years ago

That looks great for the price.
Missed your posts last week, welcome aboard!

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

When you pick her up check if she still has the Greg Kmiec Red post to the left of the spinner. Enjoy!

That's cool~! I learn something new on Pinside almost every day. I just checked, and mine has it too!

Kzooandy, you got one heck of a good deal. I'm a bit jealous.

#38 11 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Ok I looked further into the backbox, and it's pretty much ruined in the lower right corner, completely delaminating, and unglued. it looks like it got wet and was in standing water for some time. Fortunately the PF cabinet is fine for restoration.
Good news... I measured my Strikes and Spares and my Silverball Mania. The boxes are exactly the same measurement. In fact my shoddy paragon backglass fits right into the Strikes Spares.
So... I think instead of cutting plywood and going through a major "woodworking" project, I will just find a donor backbox someday for a touch-up and re-spray.
I was really happy to figure this out tonight.

Now I just have to find the donor.... Great...another machine!!

#39 11 years ago

Looks like you have a nice collection of really cool looking machines. I will keep my eyes open for a donor cab.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

Looks like you have a nice collection of really cool looking machines. I will keep my eyes open for a donor cab.

Thanks
I'd appreciate that.
I'll try to hit a few shows and call a couple amusement companies too, they may have something sitting around in the "back room"

1 month later
#41 11 years ago

Not the best picture but I didn't know about this red post thing when I was taking them, but it seems my Paragon (EPA7439) still has its red post:

RedPost.pngRedPost.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.