Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by alveolus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

016233_7[1].jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

From watching the Papa archive videos, Bowen is the strongest play-by-play man in pinball today, so Papa 16's stream suffered just a little bit by his being in the tournament so long (Congratulations by the way!). He knows every strategy on every game, knows the PAPA games' setups, and speaks clearly and concisely. For the times when he's not in the booth, hopefully many times going forward, they need to groom another player or two to take the lead and concentrate on noting both player strategy and highlighting examples of great skill, with a dash of pinball history as needed.

All of the various guys did well on color commentary and the frequency with which people came in and out was fine. Give them a couple of interns/volunteers to run and check the status of the other tournaments when needed and report back. There were a few digressions, but I find those interesting as well, and when you've got multiple hours of coverage, it's easy to get a little punchy. For non pro's the color call was to a high standard.

It appears that the playfield feed was a shot of the onsite vertical monitor -or maybe it was the streaming site limitations - I'm sure as time passes they'll have a way to sharpen that up some.

if you bring in more floor or game sound, give the producer a fader so he can bring it up when the commentators are pointing out/waiting for a clutch shot, and pull it out when there's a lot of booth talking to compete with it.

I'd guess this is the end of the individually custom commented round videos being archived. From now on will archived games carry the live commentary from the event day? You know what would be good to replace that? A one hour highlights video cutting in all the clutch moments and reviewing the progression through the finals, with Bowen plus color man/men voice over.

I watched a lot while shopping out a game on Saturday and Sunday. I am impressed with the quality of coverage that came out of a first event effort by non -tv producers. The live qualifying scoring and all was so nice and I think it should stay on the papa website instead of cutting away from the video to it.

I've never broadcast sports, but I've watched a hell of a lot of them, and this was a great product, both in terms of the event and the broadcast. Thank you all at PAPA.

#52 10 years ago

Cayle, stop feeding on those M&Ms.

#53 10 years ago

I am a twitch tv broadcaster, and I thought this was really nice. I have a few suggestions. Like someone said earlier, you need to have mods in the channel to kick out spammers. A channel with 700+ viewers needs about 6 mods. Preferably people you know and trust. Also, remember that any video on twitch will automatically delete itself in 7 days if you do not hit the "save forever" button. Very important for archiving purposes. I recommend getting the fastest internet upload speed possible for that area to be able to stream in higher resolutions. I use OBS myself to broadcast, and it is way less resource heavy than other streaming applications, OBS is also free. If I can help in any way, pm me.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

From watching the Papa archive videos, Bowen is the strongest play-by-play man in pinball today, so Papa 16's stream suffered just a little bit by his being in the tournament so long (Congratulations by the way!). He knows every strategy on every game, knows the PAPA games' setups, and speaks clearly and concisely. For the times when he's not in the booth, hopefully many times going forward, they need to groom another player or two to take the lead and concentrate on noting both player strategy and highlighting examples of great skill, with a dash of pinball history as needed.

Simple: Clone Bowen.

#55 10 years ago

need to get Eden back on the mic. he's good on the commentating.

#56 10 years ago

On the goofier side of all of this... I'd recommend channeling your favorite professional wrestlers and impersonating them throughout the entire pin-match.

For example: "And here comes Jimmy Snuka with the the Superfly Splash from the top turnbuckle!" would be replaced with: "And here comes Andrei Massenkoff sinking the third locked ball from the live catch out of the left orbit!"

-Or maybe-

"And somehow Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat rolls over and reverses the figure four leg-lock on Ric Flair" would be replaced with: "And somehow Daniele "The Italian Pin-Stallion" Acciari saves the ball with a slap save that should have tilted this sneeze sensitive deck to overtake Cayle George for the lead into ball 3!"

Silliness like this may have to be placed on the alternate track on the blow by blow commentary. Zen (Nigh Omnipotus), are you with me?

Best wrestling personalities to impersonate:

Ric Flair (Whoooo!)
    Moondog Rex
    Goerge the Animal Steele
    Bobby Heenan
    The Legion of Doom
    The Iron Sheik (I will make you Humble!)
    Lord Alfred Hayes
    Hulk Hogan (Hangin' and Bangin'... Duuuude!)
    Tony Schiavone
    "Rowdy"Roddy Piper
    Dusty Rhoades
    Mick Foley
    Jesse Ventura
    Gorilla Monsoon (Good night Irene!)

and of course...

Randy "The Macho-Man" Savage - OOOOOOOHHH YEEEAAHHHH!

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Driz1847:

Also, remember that any video on twitch will automatically delete itself in 7 days if you do not hit the "save forever" button. Very important for archiving purposes. I recommend getting the fastest internet upload speed possible for that area to be able to stream in higher resolutions. I use OBS myself to broadcast, and it is way less resource heavy than other streaming applications, OBS is also free. If I can help in any way, pm me.

There are many great suggestions on this thread, but this one is immediatly important- it has been passed to Mark. Thanks!

-Jon

#58 10 years ago

Loved the broadcast. One important aspect fixed this time around that I thought was lacking at Pinburgh, was a schedule that was accurate. I was able to co-ordinate a wake up time to catch the last 6 games of the finals.

Some things that others have mentioned:

Current tournament standings. There was a google doc passed around in the chat, but if you didn't see that (and I didn't for a very long time because I was watching in full screen), you had no idea how the tournament was progressing. Which was further confused by my following point;

Switching from group to group happened too often for my liking. I couldn't get 'invested' in a match because the video would rarely (did it ever?) stick with one match for the duration. I understand there's a need to cover as much as possible, but as suggested by someone else, it would be better to pick a group and stick with them until they are at least done on one machine, then potentially switch to another. Though, personally I would prefer to stick with a group until they played their entire 3 games.

The commentary was great. I think Bowen (congrats on the win by the way) is the best commentator but the other guys did very well.

Over all I thought it was fantastic and I look forward to more. If we could stick with the one game for it's duration and have tournament score tracking it would be perfect in my books.

3 months later
    #59 10 years ago

Enjoyed the SPF tournament coverage. As always, Bowen's playing and commentating was awesome! It was good to see cuts to video of the announcers from time to time, although I still would like to see captions giving the name of the commentator. Also, maybe it was just me, but it seemed the lighting or camera settings were a bit dimmer than usual. Anyway, excellent work!

#60 10 years ago

Awesome PAPA stream from SPF! Many thanks to everybody involved. Really nice see the seminars streamed as well. I think I may have watched almost every second as I couldn't make the trip down at the last minute.

My only problem was with the TWITCH app. I wanted to watch on the Xbox360 on the TV. I couldn't find the PAPA channel at all in the search until the stream of the seminars went live. Like the channel didn't exist at all. I wanted to watch archived stuff via the TWITCH app on the iPad and the Xbox360 and just couldn't find a way to get to the channel.

I don't know if you can fix it on your end or if TWITCH just doesn't want people using the app for anything other than live streams. Just wanted to relay my experience.

Love watching PAPA stuff, just wanna watch more!

#61 10 years ago

My suggestion is that you PAPA TV guys give yourselves a big pat on the back I can't believe that I can watch live pinball broadcasts with commentary as well as have access to a great archive of previous events! I have a background in production and I know all of the pieces of the puzzle that have to be put together in order to do what you do, so my hats off to you guys WOOHOOO!!!

8 months later
    #62 9 years ago

Reviving this thread as I wanted to make a new suggestion. How about having something always playing on the Twitch papatv channel? Either looping the most recent broadcast or playing random archived episodes. I understand that you can search for previous broadcasts, I just feel like it would fun just to be able to fire it up and watch something at any time rather than just seeing the "off-line" message. JM2c

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papatv-suggestion-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.