Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by alveolus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

016233_7[1].jpg
    image.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Really enjoying watching the tournament footage of PAPA. Just starting this to keep track of some suggestions. By no means are these complaints - just glad to have access to this.

1. Streaming quality. I'm sure it will improve as you do more of these. A 720p option would be great.

2. Any kind of graphics for real time stats? I'm guessing this would take extra manpower, etc., but it would be interesting to see where the current game ranks scorewise among other qualifying games, etc. Lots of real estate for this where the camera for the player is now IMO.

3. Would like a viewing option that doesn't use Flash. Ipad/AppleTV users are out of luck. I saw there was a $10 app for twitch.tv but that seems a little over the top for watching the occasional tournament.

Great job everyone on the commentary, cameras, etc. Keep up the good work!

#2 10 years ago

The twitch tv app is free and works great

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

The twitch tv app is free and works great

You're right! It's working great now steaming via AirPlay. Thanks for the tip!

#4 10 years ago

Only thing I would suggest is to write the full edition of the machine being played, for example the Metalica is a LE, PRO or Premium?

#5 10 years ago

Before I start let me say this is excellent as it is and my suggestions may be difficult to achieve with the current level of funding and manpower. Also, I'm not sure what they have planned, what's possible or what has already been discussed but here's a few things anyway:

1. Some sound from the machine itself as it is being played.
    2. More explanation of the tournament structure rules.
    3. A lot more explanation of the game rules, perhaps a walk-through of the rules of each game before it is played for the first time in a broadcast.
    4. Some short player bios so we can get to know each player. Maybe a screen with some stats and a photo of each player as they step up to play.
    5. Slow motion replays.
    6. Make sure the camera is on the player who is playing. When the shot is out wide its hard to know which player is playing the game being played in the playfield shot.

The commentary at the moment seems to assume a lot of prior knowledge of the event and the machines being played. I find it hard to follow so it must be almost impossible for those who are new to it all.

#6 10 years ago

I was quite satisfied with it the way it was; I thought it was really well done. Would love to see higher resolution though, yeah that would be nice! It would be cool for them to have the ability to add little captions to the streaming video indicating who is on color commentary and who is currently playing (and what they are playing, in case you don't know). Stats on the screen might be a bit tricky, there is separate webpage that keeps track of the stats in real time so this might be a bit excessive.

Solarvalue; it seems like you'd want to hear the sound from the machines, but those fellas use some pretty salty language at times. Might be best to leave it as is

#7 10 years ago

Many of your suggestions are already in the works for the next broadcast in chicago, but this is what we could do with the limited time since the kickstarter. Thanks for tuning in, and thank you for the feedback.

#8 10 years ago

Sweet, will be looking forward to this! You guys did a really nice job tonight.

#9 10 years ago

Enjoying this alot. Looking forward to this morning. Appreciate what you have done. I am sure this is complicated stuff working in a large hall (not a studio), lighting, sound, etc... I am sure as you gain experience of doing these broadcasts you will make continuous improvements. Thanks for providing these broadcasts and the commentary. I do like the idea of sound coming from machines and players too. I like the "custom" speech... HAHAHA..

#10 10 years ago

I wonder if 2 video streams are possible. If you're on the iPhone, and some people the iPad, it would make more sense just to have the play field vertical. The iPhone screen especially isn't big enough to watch for that long horizontally, the screen just isn't big enough.

2 video streams might kill their bandwidth though.

#11 10 years ago

I might have mentioned this in another thread, but since this is for suggestions for the future (and I know the whole project is a work in progress that will evolve over several events):

I would love a camera facing the player, so we see all their reactions, would probably add a lot of drama to the production.

#12 10 years ago

Geeking out on some PAPAtv.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Before I start let me say this is excellent as it is and my suggestions may be difficult to achieve with the current level of funding and manpower. Also, I'm not sure what they have planned, what's possible or what has already been discussed but here's a few things anyway:
    2. More explanation of the tournament structure rules.
    3. A lot more explanation of the game rules, perhaps a walk-through of the rules of each game before it is played for the first time in a broadcast.
    4. Some short player bios so we can get to know each player. Maybe a screen with some stats and a photo of each player as they step up to play.
    5. Slow motion replays.
    6. Make sure the camera is on the player who is playing. When the shot is out wide its hard to know which player is playing the game being played in the playfield shot.
    The commentary at the moment seems to assume a lot of prior knowledge of the event and the machines being played. I find it hard to follow so it must be almost impossible for those who are new to it all.

I highly recommend you watch today's finals, then Thanks and we'll try to keep improving!

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

This could be accomplished with the Pinnovators headphone jack.
    It would allow the speakers to still be active while the recorded sound would go straight to the mixer. No salty language would get through.

#15 10 years ago

Heh, maybe I missed it last night but i noticed today they have a small overlay on the 'player' window showing their name / rank / points. Can't believe I missed that, I was paying too much attention to the playfield window. Duh, I gotta pay closer attention

#16 10 years ago

We need to see two tables at the same time....

#17 10 years ago

Congrats on Winning PAPA 16!!!

Quoted from bkerins:

I highly recommend you watch today's finals, then Thanks and we'll try to keep improving!

#18 10 years ago

I'm stoked to see the PAPA guys posting on pinside.

#19 10 years ago

Congrats to Bowen. His side position as commentator had to be set aside today

The only commentary suggestion I have is more thorough rules explanations, particularly on the more obscure pins (say, Godzilla). Admittedly some of the players didn't know the rules either.

In general the arguments between Adam and Josh (and others) over what the players should do was both informative and entertaining---as long as I understood what they were both suggesting.

#20 10 years ago

Excellent job guys. I enjoyed it immensely and imagine it will simply get better and better. Congrats to Bowen as well!

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Congrats on the win. I watched your # 3 score game on Adams Family yesterday. Awesome stuff. You deserved it.

#22 10 years ago

I was very transient with my viewing, and there were different voices most times. It would be useful for regular reminders of who the commentators are. I'm sure in broadcasting there are rules to repeat this info to the audience every x minutes or something for exactly this reason. It could be a some titles that pop up, or the main host reiterating it regularly.

#23 10 years ago

The only thing I see at this point after watching all day today, is maybe limit the number of commentators at a time to two people. It got a little confusing at times with 3 guys talking over each other. That said, I still really enjoyed the commentary.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

The only thing I see at this point after watching all day today, is maybe limit the number of commentators at a time to two people. It got a little confusing at times with 3 guys talking over each other. That said, I still really enjoyed the commentary.

A good/great commentator team is a must. I agree that usually that means 2 commentators (the person with limited technical knowledge and some humor who drives the conversation paired with the stone cold expert who answers all of the questions is a good combo).

#25 10 years ago

The live footage was great but I hope they still do the post tournament commentary for the B, C, Classics, etc.

#26 10 years ago

I came home and only caught the final A match but it looked A LOT better than I thought it would, not to sound negative, only because I work inTV and have a high standard.
    The announcing was good, camera angles were good, everything was good. Could be improved a lot more; like any production getting off the ground.

1. Final match looked like the overhead camera was out of phase maybe?Colors were def off...don't know if it was from other lights or whatever.

2. Replay would be nice but I do a lot of replay and with pinball it could be tough. You can't cut away because the action is always moving, but you can keep some if you're quick enough, for right after a players ball ends.

3. Players bios I fucking hate, but that can be feathered in later. You've got to get the basics down first.

4. Now that I think of it, the scoreboard cam was off on game 1 of the finals a touch. When covering an event if you know it's wrong, you gotta fix it.

5. Video switching looked a little delayed. That's the last I'll say aboot the tech. Obviously we all want big station cams with zooms and all that, but you gotta work with what you got.
    Newtek Tricaster works well for small productions like this. It's "cheap" on the low end of small places doing productions...maybe a kickstarter? I'd throw in.

But anyway...VERY impressed by it...great job!

#27 10 years ago

I thought the whole thing was great! Thanks so much.

My suggestion would be to wait to turn off the broad cast and show the announcements of the winners and presenting of the trophies. I was sad to have missed that part.

It would also be great if there was a ticker or something near the bottom showing what the scores were from the other games that were not the focus of the cameras at the time. The commentators tried to keep up and they did a good job, but this might take some strain off of them for that part.

I can't wait to see how this improves in the future. PAPA did a fantastic job in the time they had to put it all together. Great job all!

#28 10 years ago

need chatroom mods. lots of 18yo girls into pinball apparently.

the GGTV had a better presentation, better shots of the dmd. but their colouring was WAY off, papa.tv colouring was better.

the feed of the table seemed like it was a camera was pointed at the vertical TV, not at the table itself, as it if were a feed of a feed, I dont know how much of that was the twitch stuff tho.

still, very awesome begining. is this what we kickstarted? it was not clear what we helped get done

a promising start.

oh, congrats too, bowen.

#29 10 years ago

6. And also have commentators listed.

#30 10 years ago

I watched a good bit of the action today.
    Nice job by Josh, Cayle, Adam, and Bowen on the commentary.
    Very enjoyable to watch.

Congrats BEK.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

The live footage was great but I hope they still do the post tournament commentary for the B, C, Classics, etc.

I don't recall seeing cameras set up on anything besides A division, though I admittedly wasn't paying attention as I failed to qualify for the finals.

My biggest suggestion is MORE PLEASE!
    I loved watching Bowen win on my iPad in the airport, and can't wait to watch more.
    My wish would be to have selected slow motion replays of great saves as well as ball control blunders which they could show between games, kind of like boxing highlights.

#32 10 years ago

Watched almost the entire day today.
    I first tried to get it going on my Sony DVD player, but no TwitchTV app.
    Then I tried the web browser app on the DVD player. Damn it, must have Flash. Arrrrgh.
    Then I finally hooked up the laptop to the TV, Bingo!, 50" screen and sofa bliss for the rest of the day.
    Now if we can just get higher resolution it would all be perfect.

#33 10 years ago

I very much enjoy the coverage (live streaming and replays). It would be even better if the audio coming from the pin's speakers was part of the mix.

#34 10 years ago

Only real suggestion is commentators need to commentate. There were a few times where it was just 3 guys ooohhhhing and ahhhinng and yeahinggg and nnnooooiiing. I enjoyed the excitement but would have liked more play by play (worth note is that we were mainly listening and not watching but good commentators should tell a story of what is going on well enough that i could visualized).

I enjoyed the broadcast.

Other thing > I wanted to see more cut overs to B and C. Those are the guys coming up from the semi/college league... There was plenty of time to cut to them or even just quick updates or what was going on when some of the A players were killling it for 15 min on 1 ball

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I don't recall seeing cameras set up on anything besides A division, though I admittedly wasn't paying attention as I failed to qualify for the finals.
    My biggest suggestion is MORE PLEASE!
    I loved watching Bowen win on my iPad in the airport, and can't wait to watch more.
    My wish would be to have selected slow motion replays of great saves as well as ball control blunders which they could show between games, kind of like boxing highlights.

I hope they filmed some more footage of not only PAPA but Pinburgh as well. I loved all the hour and half or so four games commentary videos they released over last fall and winter. I'd put a video on and help the lady decorate the house. She wasn't crazy about it but I told her "tough, if you don't like it, you can put this tree up!"

#36 10 years ago

I'm not in agreement of seeing more B & C. A Division is the major leagues, as a spectator I want to see the "pros" play the best games, and I want to hear commentary dissecting their strategy. Sure, there's lots of talent in B & C, but that is like the farm leagues... maybe there is a time and place to show it, but not all mixed together.

#37 10 years ago

my only complaint is that they need to show the tourney points on the screen, would be nice to figure out who had what points and where they needed to place. I couldn't follow that at all. Maybe a missed a real time standings link somewhere but I kept checking the PAPA site to try to figure out standings.

#38 10 years ago

I watched the whole thing from 9pm saturday to 6pm sunday. I really enjoyed it!

Aside from the 720p suggestion, I would have preferred if the video footage didn't jump around between groups every 5 mins. As in, pick a group for a round and stick with them through all 4 games (like the videos on the PAPA blog does/did). It was a little annoying to leave a group on ball 1 all of a sudden and go to a group on ball 3 of a game. I'm sure it made better "TV" but it wasn't as fun for someone who wants to see the entire evolution of a particular match.

I can I assume there will be biweekly or monthly videos on the blog of entire games still or is this the only recored footage of the tournament?

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Only real suggestion is commentators need to commentate. There were a few times where it was just 3 guys ooohhhhing and ahhhinng and yeahinggg and nnnooooiiing.

I only watched part of the semi-finals and final round, but I thought the commentators did pretty well.

Quoted from Linolium:

Aside from the 720p suggestion, I would have preferred if the video footage didn't jump around between groups every 5 mins. As in, pick a group for a round and stick with them through all 4 games (like the videos on the PAPA blog does/did).

I popped in for a little bit around noon CST and somebody was having a huge game on BDK and they cut away from his action to some other much less exciting thing before his ball was over. That kind of sucked.

In general, I thought the coverage was very cool. The three camera setup is really nice - some of the DMD cameras were off-aim a bit though.

#40 10 years ago

I noticed the mic's were picking up some low freq in my sub from certain commentators voices. Greg Dunlop was the worst when I noticed it, not sure which video. You might run a high pass eq on the mic channels or get some pop filters or dead cats to get rid of the plosives

The commentary was awesome(grape lady!). The video was awesome. The play was awesome. Bowen was amazing awesome. I really enjoyed the whole thing.

I wish that the stream was on more often. I would have enjoyed popping in and watching a few games of random players qualifying with no commentary at all. I also wish there was more interaction between the commentary and the chat room and that the chat room had moderation to get rid of spam. Apparently there are a lot of 19 year old girls that like to play games and want me to visit their websites!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Apparently there are a lot of 19 year old girls that like to play games and want me to visit their websites!

Wow. You were lucky and got experienced 19 year olds. All of them that were after me were only 18.

#42 10 years ago

Thank you to everyone for tuning in and watching the broadcast!

We will take note of all the feedback good and bad, keep it coming.

#43 10 years ago

Great job, crew! Amazed at how wonderful the presentation was!

- Cutting away to tournament standings periodically (or featuring them in a crawl?) would be wonderful

- Magically get ESPN, Spike, or some other satellite TV entity to broadcast the feed - maybe some day!

#44 10 years ago

I would not want more professional commentators. I loved it when they were cheering or telling people to settle. It was a cool chance to hear what a high level player is thinking about as someone else plays.

#45 10 years ago

The commentators did a pretty good job, but sometimes the conversation would sort of keep going when it should have changed topic (like the video shot would switch to another game, and instead of talking about the next game, they kept going for like a minute about what they were talking about). Reminded me of the movie "Best in show"

016233_7[1].jpg016233_7[1].jpg

#46 10 years ago

One easy thing you could do to improve all over is post the tournement results sooner. A lot of us have to drive/fly home on Sunday and we're all wanting to know how friends/people did. As far as I can tell that info still isn't up.

#47 10 years ago

I agree. It's hard enough keeping tabs on the A division, throw in other divisions and it would be really easy to get lost.

Also, they need to cut to the standings more often. There were screens while switching video feeds, and I'm sure they want advertising there eventually, but that would be a great place to display up to the minute points standings.

Quoted from frolic:

I'm not in agreement of seeing more B & C.

#48 10 years ago

I recommend that Josh leave the announcer booth when Zach is playing, as he sounds like he's trying to mimic a really bad porno

It was a great first effort. Hopefully in the future there can be some sort of FM/Wifi transmission locally so people can listen in while watching in person. Believe it or not, even with a 45 second delay, it was still great to listen too but watch in person.

Great job to Mark, John and everyone else that helped build the booth and the entire setup. It's an awesome setup and honestly kinda surreal.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Thanks, I'll do that, and congrats on the win!

#50 10 years ago

I also think 2 commentators max would be good, as already stated, it would be easier to follow. Considering that the event runs all day, I think when the novelty wears off, no one will want to be broadcasting all day anyways, so you can schedule teams to work the mic.

I know in time these things will be ironed out. Overall it was great.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papatv-suggestion-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.