(Topic ID: 105145)

POLL: PAPA Women's Division?

By EvanBingham

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should PAPA add a women's division?”

• Yes 74 votes
      52%
    • No 67 votes
      48%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NO_MAAM_meeting.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizcat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

Doesn't it come across a little sexist?

There is no reason men and women can't compete equally in pinball. And to me, segregating the women out is a cop out. It's like, 'here, you go and play in that minority league while us real players do the serious thing'

Social meets for women is fine, and I can see that bringing more women into the hobby. But competing separately? Seems like a bad idea to me.

#17 9 years ago

Just as an aside, the poker world went through this kind of revolution a few years back. They had some difficulty because you can't legally have a women's only competition. (Lets be honest, it is sexist - for exactly the same reason having a men's only tournament would be sexist). So a lot of men would join the women's competition (sometimes even in drag) just to make their disagreement with the format clear

The only solution to this issue was to 'discount' the entry price for ladies (ie radically overcharge for men)

#34 9 years ago

I think a large part of @blondetall's post there I can relate to ... as a man! I'm also not very good at pinball, certainly not to the level I can compete with the best. But I still enjoy trying, and would rather be able to compare my ability (or lack of) against those players, rather than play in a subset of weaker players.

Of course I can't fairly comment on the feelings of being intimidated by a large group of hairy men. That has definitely never happened to me, no sir.

It's interesting you raised the IFPA points though. Could a women's only event fairly award IFPA points? Either way, it would arguably lead to *less* prominence for the best female players as they slip down the ranks.

I also don't hold much weight to this idea that women will play in both events. I think that would prove difficult due to time constraints, personal financial constraints or even just preference.. I think logically the majority that *would* find a women's only event appealing would surely play only in that subset for exactly the same reasons that they would prefer *not* to play the main event? Or are we really thinking that they'll play both (and therefore we don't need a womens only division?)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizcat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-womens-division?tu=wizcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.