(Topic ID: 105145)

POLL: PAPA Women's Division?

By EvanBingham

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should PAPA add a women's division?”

• Yes 74 votes
      52%
    • No 67 votes
      48%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NO_MAAM_meeting.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

I think anything that promotes more pinball among pinheads or potential pinheads is great.

You can think it sexist but there are in fact genetic and evolutionarily selected differences that are predisposed advantages provided to men over women when it comes to reaction time/hand-eye coordination.

This not saying that there are not some amazing women players in pinball (like all sports/games), but that when you overlay the spectrum of player capabilities even when adjusting for other social variables (i.e. current male/female ratios, experience, number of competitions) these scatterings will be disparate, with men being higher on the ability spectrum.

Some of these abilities are likely conferred from social societal differences as boys tend to focus on many hand-eye coordination activities as they grow up.

Regardless of what actually causes these differences in abilities they are apparent.

I say it is a great idea to offer a women's only PAPA division. It is no different than offering a juniors/seniors and if anything I would say their is more data and reason for a women's than a jr/sr given that many of the jr/sr players are already competing at the A div and there is no data to support/ justify these extra placements.

It is my understanding that Jr/Sr divisions were/are intended to promote pinball to groups that are thought to not have the skill yet/ beyond their peak (whether due to age or experience in these divisions). if that is the case then they should have some IFPA and past papa performance restrictions also. I would say if you previously finish top 24 in A/B/C or are top 400 IFPA then you probably should not be playing in the separate divisions of Jr/Sr/Women as you have already proven you are not in need of a seperate division based on genetic/age/ experience differences.

All the above said, I am not a women so I can't tell you how a women would feel about it other than the fact that my wife is a pretty active competitive player and wants more women based events.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ika:

There is nothing in playing pinball (except maybe naturally evolved lack of competivness compared to male homo sapiens) that would require skill that men have and women don't or which would make women worse players than men, in fact they might even be better if female talent for multitasking is not a myth.

Just want to point out that there are many scholarly studies demonstrating gender differences in spatial relation, movement, and motor skill.

In all likelyhood these differences are evolved over millions of years and it is completely PC and acceptable to acknowledge our differences in order to make even our pinball world more inclusive of all people and their abilities. I see nothing wrong with catering to any group that we would like to foster more participation from.

The real question is, should competitive pinball be trying to bring in more females? If the answer is yes, then what does it hurt to provide the opportunity for more accessability to that gender? If some women do not want to play in the females only division then that is their choice, no different than the jr/sr. divisions.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-womens-division?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.