(Topic ID: 105145)

POLL: PAPA Women's Division?

By EvanBingham

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should PAPA add a women's division?”

• Yes 74 votes
      52%
    • No 67 votes
      48%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NO_MAAM_meeting.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nextopin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Silly IMO. I don't see pinball as a game that favors physical size/attributes which is the only reason I know that traditional sports segregate the two genders.

Pinball most certainly does favor size/attributes, but it's more size based than gender. A smaller player cannot move a machine around as easy or as accurately as a larger player.

Nobody is talking about segregating players, only ADDING an additional division restricted to gender just as youth and seniors are restricted to age. I don't think there are any men in pinball who feel that a woman can't play at the same competitive level. From my understanding, this division wouldn't be for current competitive females (unless they chose to compete in it), it's for women who are new to pinball.

I think it's an interesting conversation, but ultimately, it's up to the female player base to decide.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

I think a large part of @blondetall's post there I can relate to ... as a man! I'm also not very good at pinball, certainly not to the level I can compete with the best. But I still enjoy trying, and would rather be able to compare my ability (or lack of) against those players, rather than play in a subset of weaker players.
    Of course I can't fairly comment on the feelings of being intimidated by a large group of hairy men. That has definitely never happened to me, no sir.
    It's interesting you raised the IFPA points though. Could a women's only event fairly award IFPA points? Either way, it would arguably lead to *less* prominence for the best female players as they slip down the ranks.
    I also don't hold much weight to this idea that women will play in both events. I think that would prove difficult due to time constraints, personal financial constraints or even just preference.. I think logically the majority that *would* find a women's only event appealing would surely play only in that subset for exactly the same reasons that they would prefer *not* to play the main event? Or are we really thinking that they'll play both (and therefore we don't need a womens only division?)

IFPA points cannot be awarded to any restricted division. Same goes for Seniors, Juniors, Div C and Div B at PAPA. Classics and Div A are the only PAPA divisions that award IFPA points, from what I understand.

#59 9 years ago

Couples with each person controlling 1 flipper? man that would be fun to watch, especially if both people were in the same oversized shirt!

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

I'm not a woman, I don't know what I would want if I were, but at this time I'm apprehensive of the underlying connotations that separating the genders would imply to some people. But then again if it is the women themselves asking for it, who am I to object? /ramble

People keep referring to this as a segregation, It's an addition. It changes nothing to how the divisions currently work or who's allowed in them. It's referring to and addition division where to participants are restricted to female players just like seniors and juniors are restricted to age.

I think it's worth a try for a year or two and see if you see an increase in female attendance.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

I think it's significant to ask the male players, as many of them bring their significant others or want to bring them. It may be hard to reach the target group if they aren't part of the normal channels of communication.
    That being said, i would hope women would have the final vote on whether they want this option or at least someone saying "Yeah, my wife (or girlfriend) said she would like it".

My wife actually said this would not interest her in the least.

She said once you get more than 3 women in the same place you get drama (her words, not mine). She will goto pinball shows and arcades and play pinball and she plays the machine(s) we have but she said she would never play in a tournament because she isn't any good at pinball, but if she did, she would want to play in the regular division.

But my wife doesn't represent all women, and she said she could see how some women would prefer to play in an "all girl" tournament.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The Freaky Deeky Dutch! Just kidding, Roy. Mark, I think it would be great for PAPA. My only concern would be if you put Women's, Jr's. and Sr's. all on the same bank of games, how would that affect qualifying as far as wait times during the busier time periods?

That is the big question. If you are creating the division to provide a comfortable place to play, do you share a bank of games?

1 week later
    #88 9 years ago

I know it's apples and oranges but when I was watching the Sprint cup race at Talladega on Sunday it made me think of this thread.

Danica Patrick was leading the race, under green, with 15 laps to go. She had the lead for 8 laps and had to pass 5 time Sprint cup champion Jimmy Johnson to get it. A tough feat for anyone, much less a petite female driver in a pink racecar.

If you think standing around a bunch of dudes at a pinball machine is tough, imagine having 43 of them behind you in 800hp stock cars going almost 200mph.

Women are the most amazing beings on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danica_Patrick

PS, I'm not a big fan of Danica, but I always root for her when she's doing well, I'd love to see her win under green someday, but I think most fans would.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nextopin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-womens-division?tu=nextopin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.