(Topic ID: 105145)

POLL: PAPA Women's Division?

By EvanBingham

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should PAPA add a women's division?”

• Yes 74 votes
      52%
    • No 67 votes
      48%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NO_MAAM_meeting.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kirkgun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 9 years ago

Here is my own entirely worthless opinion (and I mean worthless). I didn't vote, as I can't figure out one answer as being better than the other.

-Women's pinball leagues should entirely be created, expanded, and heavily supported. The league play is as much about social activity as it is about competition. It should be fun and comfortable and (I think) the clear way of "getting more women involved in pinball". It's local. It's casual. It's fun. It's not overly competitive.

-Mixed couples leagues would also be another idea to help bring women into pinball.

-A separate division in PAPA, is too touchy of subject for me to touch with a ten foot pole, as a man. But since it was asked...

There are already divisions (B & C) to allow folks with lower skill levels to compete with each other. Maybe there might be a "just for fun" division, or an exhibition division. But the nature of PAPA championships is all about ~competition~. There was a semi-joking post earlier about an Asian division, because there aren't many Asian players. It really does makes just as much sense to do that, too. As to the genetic/biological differences between men and women, they do exist. But competition pinball is mostly about smart choices, knowledge of rules, and flipper skills. Has there ever been someone winning a tournament because they were physically stronger than the other competitors? I've watched the tournaments, I haven't seen it. Most all the games in the A division are set to be incredibly tilt sensitive, right? Bowen Kerrins totally ruined his chance this past year with a too powerful tilt. Strength hurt his chances.

If a women's-only division were created, I would not at all be upset. I think it would be good to make a gesture that pinball wishes to reach out and welcome women. Although I question whether or not it would be the best gesture that the pinball community should be making. I think "the guys" should be volunteering to help organize women's leagues, or offering up their games for use for those leagues (and then getting the hell out of the way, except to maybe serve drinks and clean up ).

And maybe PAPA could be using the facility as venue for one of those ladies-only leagues (maybe they already do, I don't know).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kirkgun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-womens-division?tu=kirkgun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.