(Topic ID: 41976)

PAPA video WOZ

By chocky909

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 11 years ago

The LCD animations still make me think I'm watching a Blu-ray menu screen. Would it really be so hard to use the technology to decent degree?

#3 11 years ago

That song would haunt my soul after a few hours.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

That song would haunt my soul after a few hours.

because because because BECAUSE!!!

#5 11 years ago

Playfield looks gorgeous.

#6 11 years ago

So many things to love and admire.

But, I couldn't listen to that music for months on end

#7 11 years ago

The sound kills it for me. Also, after owning LOTR for a few months, the prospect of playing through another Keith ruleset doesn't excite me like it did before.

Still, I'll wait and see what they come with on full release.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

But, I couldn't listen to that music for months on end

I'm afraid it would haunt me too after a while. But i'm really dying to try this pin out nonetheless!

#9 11 years ago

I got to play this at The Ohio Pinball Show yesterday. The quality is undeniable. it is an amazing looking game. The music isn't as overwhelming in person and didn't bother me. It was also a loud show environment and not quiet like it would be in most homes.

The game is still missing software upgrades. Crystal ball still not working. Also a lot of people have complained it is too slow. I don't mind different paced games, and this one is on the slower side, but not unplayable.

The thing that bothers me the most are the quick out lanes. The right out lane was set 75% open. For example, not scientific fact, lets say the game speed is about a 5 out of 10. You'll have one shot ricochet off a rainbow target or pop bumper and go into the out lane at a 9 out of 10. It is kind of like a batter hitting change-ups all day and then they throw a fastball. Just really hard to react in time.

#10 11 years ago

While they are still programming It would be nice if they spaced out the munchkin multiball release similar to that of TSPP couch multi.

Thanks for sharing the update

#11 11 years ago

Game looks good!

#12 11 years ago

Looks like a lot is going on and not to slow for a feature heavy game.It is going to be great when the code gets finished!

#13 11 years ago

I'm just surprised at how much work they have to do. It doesn't even look like any of the feature lights work, they are all just random colors.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'm just surprised at how much work they have to do. It doesn't even look like any of the feature lights work, they are all just random colors.

Yeah but remember there was no code to start. I'm sure coding all he colors of the rgbs LEDs will be a biatch for every mode in the game. I think the end result will be worth it though.

#15 11 years ago

Well its a beautiful machine. However the playfield is too crowded for me. Seems like much of the time you are waiting for the ball to come back into play. Then its 'hit the center ramp' kinda like Star Wars. But I do admire the color and engineering of the game.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

coding all he colors of the rgbs LEDs will be a biatch for every mode in the game. I think the end result will be worth it though.

lol, agreed. I don't even expect all (or most) of the modes to be there when the first game ships and certainly it will take even longer to add in the lighting effects as you noted. But I am really looking forward to the code and the game evolving throughout this year. It will just keep getting better and better ...

#17 11 years ago

I'm not too keen on this one but appreciate the work that's gone into it.
Makes me excited for the Hobbit.

#18 11 years ago

Looks fun waiting for hobbit

#19 11 years ago

I think about the music also and the tune played after a ball ends and it seems like it would drive me crazy also, but then i think about how repetative most games are. I don't think it gets more repetative than my HS2, or my bros RS. I think the focus on the game will overide the music..., at least thats what i think. I mean, most games seem repetative sound wise, and even the coolest sounds get old after you've heard them a million times.

#20 11 years ago

It would be nice if there was a way to disable the "stop and go" where possible if people want to make the game faster... like disabling ball lock animation, etc. But I imagine that stuff is low priority at this point.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

It would be nice if there was a way to disable the "stop and go" where possible if people want to make the game faster... like disabling ball lock animation, etc. But I imagine that stuff is low priority at this point.

I think jack mentioned a wile back that you will be able to skip over the animations with the flipper buttons like in most sterns games.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I think jack mentioned a wile back that you will be able to skip over the animations with the flipper buttons like in most sterns games.

I wonder if JJP licensed this from Stern? Is this free and clear or is there IP involved?

#23 11 years ago

Looks like they have adjusted the flipper strength nicely. No problem hitting those shots.

#24 11 years ago

Game looks fantastic! Still excited about those color changing LEDs. No strobing, and they fade like incandescents! This is a quality video, great work.

In watching the gameplay, though, I don't know that I see very many satisfying shots. It seems that the upper right ramp shot is about it. That looks like a nice flowing (when the ball isn't locked) and satisfying shot. But where are the others?

It looks like there is a spinner shot on the left, by the pop bumpers, but its hard to see in the video. Maybe that is a nice satisfying shot?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder if JJP licensed this from Stern? Is this free and clear or is there IP involved?

IP for that? be real. Stern has filed for next to nothing in the past decade, and has gotten even less patented. No patent on the LED lighting or usb firmware updating they filed on; why would they file on a flipper-button-to-skip-animation method/sw? And, I think WMS did it first anyway. At least the CV home rom has this feature.

#26 11 years ago

I can not wait to play one! Looks like a home run machine by JJP.

#27 11 years ago

Good quality video! Thanks!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

Well its a beautiful machine. However the playfield is too crowded for me.

+1.

I do admit it looks really nice.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

The LCD animations still make me think I'm watching a Blu-ray menu screen. Would it really be so hard to use the technology to decent degree?

That was my thought as well. I'm hoping it's something they'll address in a code update if they don't before release.

#30 11 years ago

What are you expecting from the LCD? I'm wondering what people think is missing?

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

IP for that? be real. Stern has filed for next to nothing in the past decade, and has gotten even less patented. No patent on the LED lighting or usb firmware updating they filed on; why would they file on a flipper-button-to-skip-animation method/sw? And, I think WMS did it first anyway. At least the CV home rom has this feature.

Then through WMS like Stern must have done.

#32 11 years ago

It would be nice if more music was integrated, like "somewhere over the rainbow"

I've seen it up close and personal, and played it. Great build, good flow, overall fun game, but I agree that the background music can get a little monotonous.

#33 11 years ago

That's a great video and the game looks to be wonderful. Can't wait for deliveries to start. I'm near the end of the ECLE run, so mine will likely ship with mature code.

#34 11 years ago

Thank you for the video!

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

It would be nice if more music was integrated, like "somewhere over the rainbow"
I've seen it up close and personal, and played it. Great build, good flow, overall fun game, but I agree that the background music can get a little monotonous.

"somewhere over the rainbow" would be cool in attract mode...and maybe a wizard mode.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

I absolutely agree. The LCD doesn't look too far removed from a DVD menu.

I know it's a new horizon for back-glass displays, but the creativity is trailing the technology. Yes, it's the first LCD back-glass, but it already looks like an outdated early version.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yes, it's the first LCD back-glass, but it already looks like an outdated early version.

It's not the first.

NEW-CANASTA had it a few years ago:

http://marsaplay.com/layout/design-variations.html

#38 11 years ago

Looks amazing. Glad I didn't buy one though. Not the game for me.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Game looks fantastic! Still excited about those color changing LEDs. No strobing, and they fade like incandescents! This is a quality video, great work.
In watching the gameplay, though, I don't know that I see very many satisfying shots. It seems that the upper right ramp shot is about it. That looks like a nice flowing (when the ball isn't locked) and satisfying shot. But where are the others?
It looks like there is a spinner shot on the left, by the pop bumpers, but its hard to see in the video. Maybe that is a nice satisfying shot?

Satisfying shots are mostly determined by the rules IMHO. Shooting the scoop on monster bash is average at best. Shooting the scoop on AFM to rule the universe is extremely satisfying. Both are basically the same shot. When the rules come, the satisfying risk / reward issues will follow. I genuinely enjoyed my time on the game, fwiw.

#40 11 years ago

When I think of satisfying shots, the first one that always comes to mind is the AFM light lock -> lock combo. I doubt WOZ has anything that satisfying, but there's some potential.

One shot that might be really satisfying in WOZ once the full code is in place is the shot under the upper-right flipper back down to the return lane. It looks like you will build up a value via the "horse of a different color" shots and then collect it by shooting beneath the raised flipper.

I could see the spinner being pretty satisfying as well, if it's lit for lucrative points.

#41 11 years ago

Great video. Not a theme for me but so happy they are making a machine. I hope they succeed and make many more.

Chris

#42 11 years ago

Personally, I find the gameplay multiball example boring, and that has nothing to do with WOZ. I think some wild multiball play would've been more entertaining than watching the guy cradle 3 balls and fail to hit the two shots as required to continue.

#43 11 years ago

The standup targets in the jets would be satisfying from an upper right flipper shot. Either loop shot would feel good as well.

#44 11 years ago

Did anyone else think that the extra playfields might have been better used some other way?
Neither of them made me think: I want to play that!

In all fairness, mini-playfields are limited, but it made me appreciate the ACDC playfield. Lot of players not impressed with that one either, but it's sunken, and doesn't take up any valuable real-estate.

The spinning house appears to have one shot only. Around and around the house.

I was thinking that this would appear more exciting with more shots to make, and that maybe there isn't much room available due to these extra mini-playfields?

#45 11 years ago

I have'nt played any games with a mini playfield so take my opinion for what its worth, but i think your really limited by the size of them. Both seem like they would be hard in there own way. I can't think of anything else you could do with them except add mulitple exits, but then where would you go? Cycle back into the mini field? or back on to the main field?

#46 11 years ago

Looks alright. I think if JJ can sell this then the next game will be even better as they may learn from mistakes. Keith's code will be awesome for sure

#47 11 years ago

One note, regarding the "busy" playfield - Yes, there is a LOT going on there, and it looks like sort of a narrow area that the ball actually travels up. However, it IS a relatively wide body, so it doesn't feel as cramped as you might guess. The slower gameplay is actually a bit reminiscent of a B/W Superpin, in some regards, and I mean that as a HUGE compliment. To play like a B/W Superpin and look like this does... just WOW.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from mhs:

Satisfying shots are mostly determined by the rules IMHO. Shooting the scoop on Monster Bash is average at best. Shooting the scoop on AFM to rule the universe is extremely satisfying. Both are basically the same shot. When the rules come, the satisfying risk / reward issues will follow. I genuinely enjoyed my time on the game, fwiw.

Well said.

The bell shot on AC/DC can be very satisfying for those reasons too, as well as the sound effect of the bell ringing.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

d anyone else think that the extra playfields might have been better used some other way?

The best that comes to mind is TZ.

#50 11 years ago

I played the one in New York City at Two Bits Acade yesterday. It was with the latest code updated yesterday morning. I thought it was amazing! It was well pass and a blast. In my opinion this thing is going to be crazy good. Don't judge it from what others are saying until you play it. I went there expecting a slow plodding mess and left wanting to buy one. I don't know what is up with the one in Ohio. The crystal ball worked on this one fine. And when you really look at how it is built you start to understand the crazy possibilities of what they are going to do with the rules.

Jack turned me from a doubter into a fan. If he had been outside the place with a credit card reader I would have already paid for one. It was that good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-video-woz/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.