Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NOB
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

So, over the past week I sank some time into tagging and timestamping the PAPA videos and writing a search page that's a bit more useful than the video search on the PAPA website: http://papa.flipperliste.at/

I'm only about halfway done with the videos, but it's a start. I could really need all of your help, though, with making this more useful: I don't know all of the players' names, especially with the papa.tv live broadcasts, and since there's a lot of material, there's a dire need to rate the quality of the content, so the search can provide the most interesting games first.

If you're in the mood for watching a PAPA video anyway, please do it here and give some quick feedback on the video. I think that search page turned out pretty neat already, but with a bit of community effort, this could be really cool.

#2 9 years ago

Update:

- implemented caching of the video data for faster page load
    - browser back button and deep linking are working now
    - fixed an issue where opening a video in a new tab didn't work

#3 9 years ago

Update:

- added Bowen's Tutorials, Papa Circuit Final 2013-14, and Pinburgh 2014

I estimate that right now I'm about 70% done with the video content.

#4 9 years ago

This is great. Have you talked to the PAPA people about having this added to -- or maybe linked from -- their site?

#5 9 years ago

Thanks, I haven't yet talked to the PAPA people. I don't really want to make this anything "official", since it's just a for-fun project I don't want to feel responsible for maintining for the rest of my life, but of course anybody is welcome to link to it, on the understanding that it is what it is, and no functionality whatsoever is guaranteed.

#6 9 years ago

Update:

- implemented actual search function, instead of just selecting machine/player/event from list

#7 9 years ago

I am loving this. It is very cool to find he game you want to see, and then go direct to the video stream without having to go thru a headache inducing trial and error search of videos.. Thanks for doing this great work..

#8 9 years ago

That's exactly the reason I did this. Nice to hear you like it.

Update:

• actually implemented ratings instead of just collecting them (ratings that have been given before this update have been integrated)
    • show ratings on video page
    • change video order from pretty much random to rating/alphabetical
    #9 9 years ago

Wow this is great!

#10 9 years ago

Just tried to bring up a specific competition video, brings up feedback page but no video?

#11 9 years ago

Sorry, temporary glitch – this is still very much a work in progress. Should be fixed now.

Update:

• added Southern Pinball Festival 2013, INDISC 2014, and Pinball Expo 2013

I estimate I'm about 85% done with the video material now.

#12 9 years ago

Thanks for doing this! I was able to look up my own name and the video came right up. Impressive work!

#13 9 years ago

Thanks, I hope you did well, now that your games are so easily found.

Update:

• added Pinball Expo 2014
    • fixed a glitch where the server side ordering would be different from the client side ordering, causing a jump after page load

I'm pretty much done with all the video material, so for now, this is about as good as it gets.

Things that are still missing:

• Pinburgh 2012 B- and C-division finals: I'll get to that later
    • The qualifiying portions of a bunch of tournaments: I probably won't include those games, as they are mostly incomplete and not terribly interesting. The good qualifying games are separate videos anyway, which have been included.
    • Mobile tutorials: I didn't take any care to make this whole thing mobile compatible, so I didn't include those either.
    • PAPA 16 quarter and semi finals: Those games are just too fragmented with jumping around a lot between games to make including them feasible.
    • Seminars and flipper skills: just not a good fit.
    • I did just the PAPA Youtube playlists; it's possible there are more videos that are not part of any playlist. If you know of any, let me know.

-

#14 9 years ago

NOB, I think you have done a fantastic job with this. I was looking for Grand Prix and Harlem Globetrotters competition coverage and found them right away. This makes it very easy to find specific games. I wish they would include more "Classics" coverage than they do, but It seems they hold the finals of those the evening or day before they start the A Division "finals" broadcast so they usually are not taped. too bad.. Thanks for doing this...

#15 9 years ago

Thanks, glad you like it. Mark has asked me whether I'd like to work together with PAPA on this, so chances are this might be incorporated into the official PAPA video search in one way or another.

#16 9 years ago

Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to care about that sort of thing, but a downvote on some volunteer effort to make something nice for the community? That's pretty low.

Update:

• All the feedback regarding any tagging mistakes has been incorporated.
    #17 9 years ago
    Quoted from NOB:

Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to care about that sort of thing, but a downvote on some volunteer effort to make something nice for the community? That's pretty low.
    Update:

All the feedback regarding any tagging mistakes has been incorporated.

Really, I just saw that too, surely somebody hit it by mistake, how moronic.. Just ignore it.

#18 9 years ago

Just added a thumbs up to make up for it

This is an amazing resource. PAPA should incorporate it into their site!

#19 9 years ago

You could add the circuit final 2012 that was done by gg.tv.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3Y698jpvrOrv2r44sK-fXKYYVp5Idr9

#20 9 years ago

Love watching the PAPA broadcast and this really adds making it easier to find the rounds and games that I want to re-watch. Thanks

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

You could add the circuit final 2012 that was done by gg.tv.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3Y698jpvrOrv2r44sK-fXKYYVp5Idr9

Those 2012 video were really good, especially considering it was first time they did that i think and was a test for things to follow.

#22 9 years ago

Thanks for reminding me, those circuit final 2012 videos were great, and I'll definitely include them.

#23 9 years ago

Great job NOB I will definitely be using it frequently.

Cheers!

#24 9 years ago

Update:

• Added machine/event/player info to the video watch tab. This might be helpful when not going through search but coming from an external link. Machine/event should be easily identifiable from the video itself, but player information could be useful.
    #25 9 years ago

I used this today - very helpful, already found a video with a WOZ sort of walk through that had not seen previously. Thanks for putting it together.

#26 9 years ago

Update:

• Added PAPA Circuit Final 2012
    #27 9 years ago

I think this is a problem on my devices side. I cant get any of the videos ive tried to play. Ipad 2nd gen with ios 8.1.1. Anyone else with ios 8.1 have this problem?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

I think this is a problem on my devices side. I cant get any of the videos ive tried to play. Ipad 2nd gen with ios 8.1.1. Anyone else with ios 8.1 have this problem?

I've checked out an issue that might have been responsible for that, but I don't have an iPad to test the fix. Could you have a look if it's working now?

#29 9 years ago

Yes it seems to be working now. Thankyou!

#30 9 years ago

Update:

• Added a couple games on Corvette and World Challenge Soccer that I seem to have missed before. Thanks, LOTR_breath, for pointing them out to me.

Edit: would have been a bummer if this moment hadn't been in there:

Edit: Sorry, linking to a specific time doesn't seem to be working with the embedded videos on Pinside. I'm talking about 57m46s.

#31 9 years ago

Just noticed there is not tournament coverage of Godzilla, There is lots of coverage of Godzilla on PAPA 16 tournament semifinals.

#32 9 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out, but as I mentioned a few posts earlier, I probably won't be including that coverage, because the broadcast is constantly switching between the two groups mid-game. I think, all in all, there's only one match on Godzilla in the PAPA 16 semifinals video, which is being cut away from three or four times.

#33 9 years ago

This is absolutely awesome! This should be an official tool. I suspect that players like myself, who watch these videos anyways would be more than happy to add tags to make searching easier for others. Would it be possible to add this functionality so that I and others could do this?

#34 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions – pretty nice to get all this positive feedback. For the moment, though, I'm holding off on any further development, because Mark and I haven't settled on how to integrate this into the PAPA video search yet, and I'd like to wait for that decision before implementing any new features. I'll keep you posted, though.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from NOB:

Thanks for pointing that out, but as I mentioned a few posts earlier, I probably won't be including that coverage, because the broadcast is constantly switching between the two groups mid-game. I think, all in all, there's only one match on Godzilla in the PAPA 16 semifinals video, which is being cut away from three or four times.

I see your point. I can understand why they jump around to some degree, trying to show the viewers where a critical game may be in play for standings, etc., but it does make for some choppy viewing when that happens alot.

#36 9 years ago

Update:

• Added responsive layout to make this more comfortable on mobile devices.
    #37 9 years ago

This is awesome!! Thanks for doing this.

3 weeks later
    #38 9 years ago

Update:

• Added the latest batch of videos: PAPAtv Live Dec 10, PAPAtv Live Dec 17, PAPAtv League Challenge FSPA vs. PPL 2015
    #39 9 years ago

Very nice! I was considering doing something similar but you nailed it!

#40 9 years ago

This is awesome. Thanks for doing this!

#41 9 years ago

Thanks to you all for doing a great job on voting on the videos to push the most interesting games into the spotlight. Please do vote – this doesn't get me any money or fake internet points, it's just to get the good stuff listed first. Keep the corrections coming, too, I'll incorporate all of your remarks. Adam Becker/Adam Lefkoff has been sorted out.

1 week later
    #42 9 years ago

Finally got around to using this. Great work.

#43 9 years ago

Thanks, I'm going to keep the videos coming as soon as they hit youtube.

#44 9 years ago

Oh my god, how did I miss this? o.O

#45 9 years ago

Easy to miss, with all the traffic on pinside. Glad you found it, though.

#46 9 years ago

Great job !

Bowen's tutorial for Stars (Stern) seems to be missing. I noticed it's only available on Vimeo, so that might be the reason why it went under the radar.

#47 9 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out. I won't be including any Vimeo videos, since it's my understanding that there has been a wholesale switch to Youtube, so this is probably just an oversight. Best hit up PAPA to include that tutorial in their Youtube channel.

#48 9 years ago

E-mail sent to PAPA.

#49 9 years ago

Thanks for notifying PAPA, the Stars tutorial just hit Youtube, and I integrated it into the search.

4 weeks later
    #50 9 years ago

Long time no update, but there hasn't been much going on on the papa.tv YouTube channel.

Update:

• Added PAPAtv Live Episode 11
    • Added PAPAtv Live Episode 12

The machines being played:

Tales from the Cryp
    Argosy
    Guns N Roses
    Leathal Weapon 3
    Snow Derby
    Junk Yard

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-video-search-i-need-your-help/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.