Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 327 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    PAPA_tokens.png
    tournay.png
    backed.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

The spirit of the Kickstarter was to bring and promote pinball to as may people as possible. Using money from people for a place in which a very large percentage will never visit goes against what they are trying to do I think. If it was a Kickstarter to improve the PAPA facility, I probably wouldn't have donated.
    Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that big a deal, certainly not enough to say anything. But, to say that you go there so it's okay is kinda a me first attitude, no?

Just to clarify, the tv stands and many of the "papa hq upgrades" are being designed in a way that they are mobile/ transportable to other events. The screen stands fold down and can be disassembled quickly, for instance, and set up while we broadcast in different tournament venues around the country. The idea is to help drive the spectacle of all events higher, not just our own, to turn as many heads as possible and drive more people to the game.

Having said that, we did recognize there were more immediate wants that could help improve the direct feed, so we backpeddled a bit and are going those routes first for maximum possible outreach. (we read these threads and drew several good ideas!). The other expansion ideas are still on the list, but the priority of a few items got swapped.

As the equipment purchases slow down or become redundant, the biggest issue we have at this point is one of basic travel. It's really not very sexy compared to special lenses and such, but when you're talking about tens of thousands of miles per year in travel to help run events, do interviews, reviews, etc, it is a major consideration.

Finally, speaking of travel, I would like to speak with any major parts dealers, major pinball mod creators, extreme hobbyists, owners of great collections and/or arcades, part suppliers, playfield artists, both touchup and original, and others of similar situations or general pinball enthusiasts. Please email me. With the seeming success of the kickstarter to date, it's time to start organizing some of the non-competition pinball content for the community in the way of interviews, product or location reviews and such. As long as you are in America or Canada, you are within reach of this project. If you fellow pinsiders know of anyone who isn't on pinside who would be good to include or contact, please drop a note in this thread.

Thank you all for being so generous!

#129 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

You could always do the interview video over skype and broadcast that?

And in many situations we will do exactly what you suggest. The majority of these non-competition stops will be coordinated with PAPA Circuit travel though. For instance, the PAPA Circuit is heading to Orlando in November, and I will physically have to be there to help. While down there, I'm going to try to review IAPPA, the bronze artist who has sculpted some of our trophies, and there are also many other possibilities along the way, such as Pinball Inc in Georgia, Coinopwarehouse, and who knows how many great collections or interesting people in between. If the travel is already happening for Circuit one way or the other, I'm going to do my best to maximize the content output for viewers.

#148 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

One thing I'd like to see: PAPA does a great job of selecting and setting up titles for competitive play. I really think it would benefit competitive pinball to make that sort of information available to the public, namely other tournament organizers. Compiling a list of games that are good for competition, and how to set them up to avoid exploits/long ball times would be really helpful.
    I know there was another thread about 'papa-izing' games. I personally like this information to setup my own games, but I really think that it would bring more uniformity to competition.

This is a long, arduous process that I started back in October. It has been delayed due to Pinburgh prep and now the kickstarter, but the current list includes thoughts / details on league and tournament management, rulings, and specific notes on roughly ~150 games so far. The page is not ready for public consumption (I'd say 40% done for where I would like to take it), but what you desire is, in fact, an ongoing project. There's always several "irons in the fire" as they say around PAPA hq. Look out for a public release of the finished site around the end of the year. It will include videos, photographs, diagrams, and loads of information on game setup, debates from both sides of particular decisions, input from numerous tournament and league directors (both PAPA related and non-PAPA related) and more.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned anything, but seeing as how this thread is specifically about PAPA projects and our current fundraiser, and you brought up the idea specifically, I suppose it's worth the mention if it helps the other kickstarter effort in any way.

#154 11 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

curious for the donators not in the US, any chance of sending the people that donated a picture of the sign with all the people that donated?
    also is the TV channel going to be laid out like this?

also checked out your other tokens of the past, very cool, any way of buying the full collection - so very cool and love arcade type tokens

Are you asking whether we will send a physical picture of the sign or post the image online? Both? I'm just not completely clear, but I don't think either is a big issue.

The TV channel layout will likely go through a number of iterations and improvements. The general layout will likely stay true to that image, but we will always be trying new things to improve where we can.

The full token set is one of the rewards on the kickstarter, but it looks like they're all gone, unfortunately. I can't say for certain what the plans are at this point, but I can say the full set isn't a matter of us choosing whether or not to sell them. There truly is a limited number of these tokens, and anything in the future would either involve expensive re-runs, which isn't likely, or digging through tens of thousands of tokens in search of specific examples where only a small handful was ever put into circulation. I spent a lot of time digging already for those five...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-tv-kickstarter?tu=mhs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.