(Topic ID: 59431)

PAPA 16 congrats thread that went off the rails

By SteveP3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

So, uh, no consideration for those of us that watch it delayed and don't want to know results before we watch?

Checking Pinside wasn't the best idea if avoiding pinball related news. Just saying.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Well, it's rare that anybody puts competitive results or spoilers of any kind in a thread title. That's kinda ridiculous. No problems posting results in a thread, but in the title, that's poor form.

I think people are just pretty excited about a Pinside member being the world pinball champ.

#73 10 years ago

There is no way a player, regardless of age, with his resume should have been playing in "C" division.
    Look at his IFPA page and the people he has beaten, very impressive.

Not sure why people are piling on Whysnow for making a pretty fair observation.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

It isn't always the message, sometimes it's the delivery. Escher is a 10 year old boy who likes to play pinball. He was called a sandbagger (which I have never heard a positive definition for the word sandbagger) by an adult. As adults (regardless if we are online, or in person), we have the responsibilty of teaching kids how to do certain things, regardless of if they are our own children or not......
    Is Hilton wrong? No going by the rules as spelled out....
    Could he have been less abrasive towards a 10 year old? Absolutely- and calling the kid a good player is a nice positive comment, but the sandbagging could have been left out of it.....

Forget the rules, the kid beat out 15 top 100 players including Elwin at one of the last tournaments he played in. He should have been in A division.

Why would a competitor that one month is beating the best players in pinball turnaround the next month and play against "novices" unless they felt they had a greater chance of winning that division? This by definition is sandbagging.

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Go around and ask every 10 year old what sandbagging is and get back to me....
    You think he knows where he "should" play? Honestly? He hasn't had success in previous PAPAs, why would he feel like he is going to now?
    Having great pinball skills doesn't suddenly give a young child new-found powers of understanding....

Your acting like the kid showed up to the event on his own. I'm not suggesting that HE sandbagged. Im suggesting that him being in C division was sandbagging.

I also think your not giving a 10yr old credit. My 7 yr old certainly would understand if I asked her who she should be playing with if she was in his position. I would also have to be the one to sign here up for division. Escher's dad is 38th in the world and has been beaten by his son on several occasions, I would assume he was the one that put pen to paper when deciding which division he should play in. Do you not think his dad knew of his skill levels just coming off of a tournament in which he finished higher than the number 1 player in the world?

It is what it is but if we were not talking about a 10 yr old there would be no argument.

#93 10 years ago

Chutes and ladders is a pretty fun game but certainly not getting all heated with your kid over.

Sheesh.

#133 10 years ago

this is from PAPAs site
    "The C division is suitable for casual players, first-time competitors, and other novices"

If you've competed in dozens of tournaments beating some of the best players in the world I think it is fair to say that you are not a "C" player.

#140 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

"Regarding the C division kerfuffle...my humble suggestion is that PAPA take the top 32 qualifiers in C, and have 2 tournaments. Qualifiers 17-32 would be considered the "D" division once the actual tournaments got underway. This approach avoids the logistical nightmare of adding another bank of 10 games, while allowing more of us amateurs do hand-to-hand combat."
    That is a fantastic idea Swampfire! >>for a compromise that does not add as much logistical effort but would potentially help out.
    I still would like to see an entice seperate division for D, but great way to think outside of the box to make something new possibly work with little effort. That combined with more clearly deliniated restrictions would be a huge improvement IMHO.

Having a D division won't solve the problem of people competing in divisions lower than they should be. If anything they should get rid of C division and just say that anyone serious enough to play at PAPA is not a "casual" player.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-tv-is-online-check-it-out?tu=taylorva and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.