(Topic ID: 59431)

PAPA 16 congrats thread that went off the rails

By SteveP3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#197 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

One thing to remember is that the IFPA does not run PAPA, nor does PAPA run the IFPA. I don't think that adopting the IFPA as seeding works, because not all IFPA events are part of the PAPA circuit.

Correct. It's one thing to say "they ought to do x" but at the end of the day these are totally separate organizations. Basing player ranking decisions on someone else' system is a very big deal. It is a dramatic and sweeping change to the tournament. And what happens if at some point these organizations don't see eye to eye?

In my tournaments I use a combination approach to prevent sandbagging. A novice can't have a wppr rank better than 500, can't have finished 1st, 2nd or 3rd in one of our local leagues, can't have won a local wppr tourney, can't have won novice in a previous tournament and can't have finished 1st - 3rd in a major or regional tournament, such as California Extreme, Rose City, etc.

This works very well but would be unwieldy for PAPA-sized events. For one thing, who won novice at tournaments is often not tracked consistently. I know who has at my local events because I ran most of them.

IFPA cutoffs are not perfect, but if the two orgs could come to an agreement, I think it could be a step in the right direction.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-tv-is-online-check-it-out?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.