(Topic ID: 59431)

PAPA 16 congrats thread that went off the rails

By SteveP3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 10 years ago

Don't take the sandbaggers out of the C division! If you do I won't have any justification for doing so bad!!!! There are literally hundreds of us who need excuses for our poor showings and the only thing we have to make us feel better is the guys who are really good and should probably be playing in B.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Escher is, bar none, the most fun person to play pinball with in a competitive setting. His enthusiasm is contagious. He plays like you played at ten, calling out the sayings with the machines etc.
    He just can hit shots.
    Great kid, great player.

Yeah, I saw him play a ticket then RUN around the corner to watch the A division games, super excited. Very cool to see that type of thing.

#163 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Interesting that C division dropped so much from last year...
    I assume that is atypical from the previous years trend?

Could be that overall attendance was lower. It seemed that way to me.

For what it's worth, I played for the first time last year and had and similar feeling, that there were people in C that should probably move up. Nothing about that opinion changed this year. Also, I talked to plenty of people in B that have said it's not much harder to win B than it is C because there are so many highly skilled players in C. I'll continue to enter though because I know that playing against guys who could potenially win B will make me a better player.

This type of thing happens in every competition. Some people want to compete against people of their own skill level and some people just want to win. It's hard to force out the sandbaggers without affecting people who just happen to get lucky and really should be in C.

I can definitely see casual players not wanting to compete again after playing in C. Not only does a truly casual player have very little chance of qualifying, they have very little chance of even getting in the top 100 of the C division. If PAPA really wants to focus on bringing more people into competition then I would think the C division is turning away as many competitors as it's drawing in.

#165 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

The question as I see it is does PAPA really desire to cater to truly casual players? My feeling is that PAPA isn't the place for those folks to compete. People that go to the trouble of traveling to the World Championships are likely to be more than casual players on average. I learned the painful way that if you are going to be competitive at PAPA, you need to wearing your big boy britches regardless of which division you are in. So I will definitely have more knowing appreciation when Steve chastises me to "Play better!"

I understood from posts in this thread is that bringing in more novice players is one of their primary goals.

Quoted from mhs:

The vast majority of work done at papa is done specifically in a way to cater to novices, to help them get a foot in the door and improve, and that will never change. New players drive all competition.

#174 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

If that is truly the case as applied to the PAPA tournament, then the format needs to be changed considerably. I don't consider myself a novice at all and I felt like I was in over my head much of the time in C.

The post I was quoting was coming directly from the folks at PAPA, not me. It's earlier in this thread. Sounds like they are going to make some revisions . . .

Quoted from mhs:

3. There has been lots of discussion on whether our division restriction system needs updating. It does, and it will be updated, it will be clear, and it will be enforced for papa 17. More details to come

#185 10 years ago

I just realized that I played a few games of Tales from the Arabian Nights with Escher last year at PAPA 15. What a cool kid he was. Very polite about asking to join us, good natured, laid back. He already had skills then but he must have gotten leaps and bounds better! I hope he wins A at age 15 or something. That would be really cool. In any event I hope he moves up out of the C division soon because it sucks losing to kids!!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-tv-is-online-check-it-out?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.