(Topic ID: 59431)

PAPA 16 congrats thread that went off the rails

By SteveP3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanBingham.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 10 years ago

Yeah Escher is great, and my guess will be one of the best in a few years. Very friendly kid, and since he didn't make the top four he is still eligible for the C division. If I were him I would go for the C division again (or whatever division has his best set of games).

#83 10 years ago

Yeah though the play isn't nearly as crisp as the A division, there were still some great moments in the C division that would've been priceless if recorded. Escher toured the mansion in Addams family in the first round, Nick Campbell was dominating on the hardest Avatar that I've ever played (huge posts blocking the link shot and he was still hitting it consistently when noone else could), and even some dq's in the finals (myself on woz and Les on Avatar). I had a great time and was very very very lucky that I qualified.

#85 10 years ago

Well in avatar, les had a brain fart and played out of turn. The next game was on wizard of oz and I did the exact same thing which makes my offense ten times worse. Must've been instant Karma for me being happy that les was dq'd on avatar.

#88 10 years ago

Yeah competition brings out the worst in me. Chris Compton was one of the nicest people I met there during the qualifying rounds (as was Chad Hyatt) but a part of me celebrated every time either one of them had a low score on acdc, tron, transformers or ripleys.

#195 10 years ago

wow...i just read that Andreas Wesik should've advanced to the quarterfinals but due to a miscalculation in points he lost in a tiebreaker that we shouldn't have even done. I thought he was a cool cat too, came here all the way from Sweden to play in it. Dems da breaks I guess...I'm glad papa did the best they could to rectify the situation.

1 month later
    #198 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, THAT post, this is it, this is why!
    The PAPA tournament itself doesn't really make you a better player unless you qualify. I think that is my biggest complaint about the event and also why I much prefer MATCH STYLE TOURNAMENTS like Pinburgh. I really almost didn't go to PAPA this year and put up 2 mediocre entries at best. Can't wait for Pinburgh, it is the "entry level tournament" you can learn the most from for sure and for certain.

I feel like the qualifying rounds I put in made me a better player. Just talking to people there about the rules and learning different things definitely helped. I haven't been to a Pinburgh ever, but I do agree that in that situation you're learning even more and becoming an even better player.

Those PAPA games were set more difficult than I knew a game could be set up. It's very awkward walking up to a game that you own and thinking to yourself "i got this!" and then it turns out the machine is a drain monster.

They are definitely set up so that if you are a better overall pinball player then you'll have more success.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanBingham.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-tv-is-online-check-it-out?tu=EvanBingham and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.