New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 69038)

Papa Tournaments Strategy - SPF in particular

By WJxxxx

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zaxxis
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I'm on holiday in Florida in a couple of weeks so have decided to enter the SPF.

I have a few questions as the setup is different to the way previous comps I have entered are ran.

In all of the other big competitions I have entered you play 6 machines our of a dozen and only your first game counts, possibly with one joker table allowed.
    I have now learnt (from experience) that it is normally better to put up a safe score, rather than trying to go for a mega score and risking a poor score and blowing your qualification on one game.

The way I read it, for the SPF it is your best single game that scores on a particular table, not linked to any of your other scores so you can really go for a more risky strategy to get the best score, and if it fails have another go (funds permitting).

So the questions I have are:

Will you have to play every game to post a score or is it you best 5 machines out of a bank? (I can't believe that all of the qualification is going to be ran on just 5 tables)

What kind of scores are needed? I have looked through many past tournament results and can only find final placings or qualifications, not actual scores achieved. I know it's hard to put a figure on anything specific but for example I would consider very achievable scores (my HS's in comp are all well over these) for me with this kind of setup would be in the region of
    TSPP - 150m
    WH20 - 1,000m
    ACDC - 200m
    MM - 80m
    MB - 60m
    Are these kind of scores likely to get me near qualification to the heads-up in the A Division, or should I set my sights lower (or not bother at all, I can always go fishing instead )

How many buy-ins do the best (Bowen, Keith, Zach etc.) use in qualifying? Surely they can't just roll up and play a single game on each machine and dominate it every time. Can they?

How many entrants are there, and is most of your time spent queueing for machines?

Any info, help or advise would be gratefully received.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'm on holiday in Florida in a couple of weeks so have decided to enter the SPF.
    I have a few questions as the setup is different to the way previous comps I have entered are ran.
    In all of the other big competitions I have entered you play 6 machines our of a dozen and only your first game counts, possibly with one joker table allowed.

This format isn't as common inside the USA, though it is a fun way to play.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

I have now learnt (from experience) that it is normally better to put up a safe score, rather than trying to go for a mega score and risking a poor score and blowing your qualification on one game.

This strategy pertains, in some people's minds, to the actual PAPA format where all games must be played consecutively. This is not the format being used at SPF.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

The way I read it, for the SPF it is your best single game that scores on a particular table, not linked to any of your other scores so you can really go for a more risky strategy to get the best score, and if it fails have another go (funds permitting).

Correct. This format generates constant activity and repeat play.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

So the questions I have are:
    Will you have to play every game to post a score or is it you best 5 machines out of a bank? (I can't believe that all of the qualification is going to be ran on just 5 tables)

You do not have to play all of the machines in the bank, but it is advisable if you would like to qualify. Also, the same games will be used during the final rounds, so a portion of the repeat practice comes from qualified players wanting to get used to games for the final rounds (or strategically attempting to block out another player from a machine, which is more rare, but does sometimes happen). Finally, there will be more than five tables. In the Modified Best-Game format, players can put up scores on all of however many games are used, but only their best five results count toward their total. The typical arrangement is your best 5 scores across all 9 machines.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

What kind of scores are needed? I have looked through many past tournament results and can only find final placings or qualifications, not actual scores achieved. I know it's hard to put a figure on anything specific but for example I would consider very achievable scores (my HS's in comp are all well over these) for me with this kind of setup would be in the region of
    TSPP - 150m
    WH20 - 1,000m
    ACDC - 200m
    MM - 80m
    MB - 60m

There isn't much use in comparing scores between tournaments. So much can change related to the difficulty of a particular machine, it's just not worth it. At some tournaments, 200m on cftbl is a good score, at others, 1b is weak. Your strategy in so many instances depends on the setup more than the title.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

Are these kind of scores likely to get me near qualification to the heads-up in the A Division, or should I set my sights lower (or not bother at all, I can always go fishing instead )

You will not have to make this distinction at SPF. Your scores will place you in A division if you are good enough. Choosing a division prior to playing is for the PAPA World Championships held at PAPA hq, not SPF.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

How many buy-ins do the best (Bowen, Keith, Zach etc.) use in qualifying? Surely they can't just roll up and play a single game on each machine and dominate it every time. Can they?

Depends on the games, format, and other players. Sometimes better players will do exactly what you suggest. Other times it doesn't happen that way. There's no way to know for sure until the games are played.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

How many entrants are there, and is most of your time spent queueing for machines?
    Any info, help or advise would be gratefully received.

Last year's event had around 70 players. I would expect similar to greater numbers for this year. The tournament is also held in conjunction with a larger, well run show. Queueing for lines is unavoidable, but it can be mitigated for the players depending on game setup and format choices. SPF shouldn't be too bad this year.

#3 6 years ago

I've never been to SPF, but I have played in some PAPA Circuit events, as well as PAPA World Championships and Pinburgh. Expect the pins to be set up harder than anything you've ever played. It separates the men from the boys. The scores you mentioned would likely be #1 qualifier type scores at a PAPA circuit event!

#4 6 years ago

I have only played in one PAPA circuit event at EXPO and had a blast. I think you need to play every machine more than once unless you are one of those super elite players. I play for fun, but if you want to look and see what those players did, just check this out:
    http://slam-tilt.com/expo/playerIndex.php?disp=player

For example if you look at Bowen:
    http://slam-tilt.com/expo/playerIndex.php?disp=player&pid=5 - at the bottom you can see he played a few games only once but others several times.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks Genex, that's exactly what I was looking for. It looks like only improved scores per table are recorded so the likelihood is that there are many other games which didn't improve on previous scores which are not logged.

I'm not sure having looked at those scores it gives me more hope or not

I just hope I can post some decent scores early on so it doesn't end up costing me too much to try and qualify!

#6 6 years ago

Here are the scores from SPF 2012 in case you are interested.

http://www.lefkoff.com/spf/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Other
    Cobra Amusements
    $ 159.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 6,199.99
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 14.95
    $ 47.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    MicksPinball
    $ 21.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 68.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside