Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mgc2 (resized).jpg
    mgc1 (resized).jpg
    BRAIN (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Turns out tiltforums is about more than just bitching about pinside!

Pretty sweet shitstorm going down about the new PAPA 20 rules. No longer about a 5 game ticket, now it's best game pump n dump. A lot of the old schoolers are melting down over it.

I thought it was cool before but I'm sure this new system will be fun too. Certainly less stressful. Seems "easier." In the end I bet it will have a bit of an effect on who gets in.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Classics only taking 4 games of 16 has me scratching my head. Why increase the number of games and require 1/4th of them to qualify? .

I'm guessing because of the already insane lines at Classic, coupled with the pump n dump format, adding more games was prudent.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I'll add that MGC also offers tournament variety, especially if you participate in the Friday night events. In one weekend you can do PinGolf, Clock Chaos (similar to PAPA - do well on multiple games on one ticket), plus the main MGC tournament. It's definitely a fun weekend.

MGC doesn't have almost all of the best players in the world vying for the world championships, and it doesn't have near the prize or WPPR pool.

I'm sure it's a nice event but folks shouldn't pretend there's a chance people will defect from PAPA to attend it.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Not understanding Doug's comment about the 5 game ticket not showing consistency. Pump n dump requires 0 consistency. It boils down to time and how big is your wallet. Me for example, I'm a so so player, but I can blow up a machine now and again. Given a deep enough wallet I could in theory qualify for A, but I sure do not belong in it. On a 5 game ticket I have to do well across multiple games. Sure, I can zero out one or two, but I at least have to do well across a few on the same ticket.
    Really not seeing the skill in this. Just seems like a way for them to get more coin drops. Sure, the best of the best will still get in, but I have a feeling the earlier rounds will see some so so players who paid to get in get eliminated in spectacularly poor fashion.

You wouldn't have qualified before, you won't qualify now.

The real question is, why do you care, and why do you think this is some kind of paradigm shift when in your case, you admit it won't likely change the results?

In the end, not much will change. The same players with deep pockets will STILL have deep pockets and spend as much as they can to try to get in (just like PAPA 19), and many will still fail in finals in "spectacular fashion" (just like every tournament).

#37 7 years ago

The whole "deep wallets" thing....between A entries at $25 a pop, and classics at $15 a pop (unless that goes up?) I was prepared to spend $300-400 on qualifying this PAPA. I don't see how that is going to change, at all.

The only people who are likely gonna end up spending more money are the very top echelon of players, guys who used to get in and high seed on one ticket. And I think they can probably spare the cabbage, what with their sack full of pinball winnings!

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

It matters because for the legitimate players they now either have to pay more, or not get in.

The top guys got in on just a handful of tickets last year.

You really think they'll suddenly have to dump $500 just to scrape by the same people they beat every year?

Maybe they'll have to spend a little more to assure their high seeding. And you know what, that's absolutely fine. The "deep pocket" borderline players you keep talking about have ALWAYS subsidized the prize pool for the guys who get in on one ticket. I don't see why it's a bad thing that even the top players will have incentive to contribute more into the pool of money they are going to be favored to win anyway.

And if you really think that some of the top guys can't afford to spend $100-200 instead of $25-50....well, let's face it, if money is that tight they should probably reorder their priorities beyond competitive pinball.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

As someone who would be in the lowest division, I'm now less interested in participating in the tournament because it seems that it is more likely that it would cost me a small fortune to qualify.

D division?

Come on dude. If you have a pulse you should be able to qualify and it's not gonna cost you a car payment.

But hey, by all means just don't show up. That'll probably increase your chances of qualifying, while saving you money!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-going-pump-n-dump?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.