6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RGR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Well, I've been at PAX East in Boston all weekend and today attended a panel hosted by PAPA. First off attendance for the event was fantastic. The large room used for the event was nearly full. I would say that 300 or more people were in the room (Naga theatre) by the time the panel started.

The guys hosting the event used an Attack From Mars machine (with overhead cam) to show various gameplay tips for not only AFM but for pinball in general. Throughout the event attendees were allowed to play a ball for a chance to win Stern t-shirts, a signed WOZ flyer, Stern posters and even a signed WOZ translite. Overall it was a great panel and you just see how interest for pinball has grown over the past couple of years.

Thanks again to PAPA for hosting the panel!

#2 6 years ago

PAX was great. There's good reason to believe we will be invited back next year, so fingers crossed. Hope you enjoyed the seminar, and thanks for the plug.

#3 6 years ago

I would like to know how to play pinball

#4 6 years ago

Any posted audio/video of the panel? This sounds interesting. Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

We are working on it and will update. We tried to live-stream the panel, but there were many difficulties. It was a fun hour. I'm as surprised as anyone when 300+ people want to talk pinball, but that's what happened.

#6 6 years ago

Dang, I woulda livestreamed (or at least taped) that thing for free if I knew it was happening! ...and also if I was at PAX

#7 6 years ago

There's always next year. Expect a posted, edited version of the talk online in the next 24 hours.

#8 6 years ago

Nice to see pinball @ video game related events! nice work : )

#9 6 years ago

Yes, nice work guys. Appreciate having you out there holding the pin flag high.

Did they ask any especially goofy questions?

#10 6 years ago

Livestreaming at PAX is close to impossible. The internet there is not reliable at all. There are probably ways if you bring your own wifi hotspot like the Geek Knights guys do.

Grats on the panel and definitely do it again next year! Hopefully JJP attends, too.

#11 6 years ago

Maybe if you created a 4G hotspot you might possibly have enough bandwidth to push to justin.tv.

#12 6 years ago

We're currently working on some potential livestreaming options for a series of projects that benefit both competitive pinball and the non-competitive pinball community, but there are serious hurdles that stand in the way. Stay tuned for more information on that front soon.

For anyone who is interested in the panel, there was no professional video filmed, but we have put together a series of clips at the link below that give a decent feel for the seminar. We are looking forward to doing it again next year if PAX will have us.

http://papa.org/blog/2013/03/papas-paxeast-seminar-on-pinball/

#13 6 years ago

Great Panel!
    I love the Penny Arcade guys, looks like you really had fun up there!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

but we have put together a series of clips at the link below that give a decent feel for the seminar.

Thanks for posting. I always enjoy whatever you guys do.

#15 6 years ago

AFM is the single best machine to learn how to play pinball on. It has all the required shot angles, and forces you to learn all the flipper control techniques necessary to compete. I literally bought AFM just to practice flipper control.

I am planning on getting a booth at PAX Prime this year, and hope to have several machines up. Hope to see you guys there!

#16 6 years ago

Great to hear it. PAPA is planning to submit a talk for PAX Prime 2013 and we'll see what happens.

#17 6 years ago

Flying mothercow!!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from PDXGeek:

AFM is the single best machine to learn how to play pinball on. It has all the required shot angles, and forces you to learn all the flipper control techniques necessary to compete. I literally bought AFM just to practice flipper control.
    I am planning on getting a booth at PAX Prime this year, and hope to have several machines up. Hope to see you guys there!

AFM is great in most respects but it can be difficult to demonstrate post passes on it.

T3 is also a great demonstration game. The launch from the middle (skill shot? been awhile) is perfect to demo drop catches.

#19 6 years ago

Great presentation guys.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

We're currently working on some potential livestreaming options for a series of projects that benefit both competitive pinball and the non-competitive pinball community, but there are serious hurdles that stand in the way. Stay tuned for more information on that front soon.
    For anyone who is interested in the panel, there was no professional video filmed, but we have put together a series of clips at the link below that give a decent feel for the seminar. We are looking forward to doing it again next year if PAX will have us.
    http://papa.org/blog/2013/03/papas-paxeast-seminar-on-pinball/

Chase Nunes worked with some sort of cell wifi aggregation device. Sorry, I don't remember the details.

Just make sure they all have unlimited data plans!

#21 6 years ago

Hey Bowen... if you ever are in the Reading MA area, you should come to my TV studio so we can talk about livestreaming pinball tournaments and commentary and fun stuff like that.

#22 6 years ago

Reading, MA ... that is ridiculously far away from... uhh... Salem, MA. Send me an e-mail.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Reading, MA ... that is ridiculously far away from... uhh... Salem, MA. Send me an e-mail.

LOL at anywhere in MA considered "ridiculously far" from anywhere else in MA

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

LOL at anywhere in MA considered "ridiculously far" from anywhere else in MA

We don't talk about the part of Massachusetts west of 495. There be dragons.

#25 6 years ago

1 end of Mass to the other end is closer together than Dallas and Houston.

#26 6 years ago

Looks like I might have blown out your sarcasm detector.

1 month later
    #27 6 years ago

AMD will be having a Metallica stand in Melbourne this year... yay!! Pity all 30000 tickets have been sold out 2 months prior.. waaaa

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

AMD will be having a Metallica stand in Melbourne this year... yay!! Pity all 30000 tickets have been sold out 2 months prior.. waaaa

what event in melbourne do you mean?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 50.00
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside