(Topic ID: 214818)

PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

By VectorGamer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NathanP
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10910323-448D-427E-9286-4DC24A619697 (resized).jpeg
    spicoli-righteous-2.jpg
    1508C21E-6FE9-4AC9-B70E-83E8A214E7BD (resized).png
    9E7EE147-DE54-4D43-AD7E-E7397EAF48CD (resized).jpeg
    E50B0517-D8C0-466B-9302-56A2A464531F (resized).png
    erin-brockovich-neckbrace (resized).jpg
    aflac (resized).jpg
    gregg2 (resized).JPG
    gregg (resized).JPG
    superior2 (resized).JPG
    superior (resized).JPG
    bestfriends (resized).jpg
    A59BB0CC-A17C-4E65-AB0B-F9B38B0B3D40 (resized).jpeg
    Root (resized).jpg
    large-potholes (resized).jpg
    TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #75 The legal complaint document Posted by pinball_keefer (6 years ago)

Post #77 Summary of injuries Posted by westofrome (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 6 years ago

Smart people hurt themselves on government owned property.

#69 6 years ago

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#76 6 years ago

Still doesn't say the actual injuries caused by her carelessness.

#90 6 years ago

I get the picture now. Just think if she'd been using the flashlite that came withe her phone instead of seeing how many likes she got in the last hour.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpgTEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Well take a fucking look where you are putting your feet, goddammit. Only in America? :O

And miss an incoming text? You gotta be kidding!!!

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

One part I found a bit odd is the description of the pothole. It is said to be large and deep. These are not precise and objective measurements. Was it 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep? 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep? 1 foot wide and 8 inches deep?

If it aint deep enough for some deep sea fishing, it aint that deep!

large-potholes (resized).jpglarge-potholes (resized).jpg

#111 6 years ago

I hit my head coming out of a vehicle that was in my shop.

Who should I sue? The car owner, my boss, or the assholes that designed the car that way?

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yourself dumbass

Damn Explorer's got a slanted back side window frame that comes to a point that aint on my Toyota. I say it is the car owner that is the dumbass for buying the thing.

#117 6 years ago

I wonder if that lady that broke her leg while stealing packages off someone's porch ever sued the property owner.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Ok, now let's say that when you hit your head you cut it and required stitches. You go to the hospital with your insurance card in hand to get your head stitched up. The doctor asks how it happens, you tell him, and he writes it in your chart. The doctor submits the claim to your insurance, insurance pays whatever crazy amount is charged for the er visit, 4 hours of hospital bed, 20 doctors/nurses/staff stopped in and said hi to you.

Yeah, that is what workman's comp is for. Sky's the limit when you knick yourself on the job.

I like the part about being billed from each doctor that walks by the door and glances inside. So true!

#124 6 years ago

Ice Skating is one of those things that will soon be outlawed in the good old US of A.

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from AaronJames:

People who know nothing of what happened are so quick to demonize one of their own

First, I do not know the lady, so no she is not one of my own.

Second, I look where I am walking and if I trip, it is my own damn fault.

Third, I do not own a cell phone, so chances of me tripping and falling because I wasn't paying attention are slim to none.

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure sure...we're to believe you, someone dumb enough to bash his head getting out of a car, and you're a GODDAMN MECHANIC.

Yeah, but I was looking at where to put my feet, not my head.

Quoted from thirdedition:

Why does everyone keep bringing up cell phones? Did it say somewhere she was on her phone?

Did somebody say she wasn't?

C'mon man! At her age they are on that thing more than not. Especially when walking thru a parking lot coming out of some event.

#138 6 years ago

I guess if a big old pothole suddenly formed and jumped up and bit me in the ass, I'd be looking to sue somebody too.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from aalucero:

I am not going to guess how old Jill is but I think you are under the impression that she is a teenager or something.

No, I have the impression that most people have cell phones now and are totally oblivious to everything else when they are using them. Especially younger women (younger than me that is).

But hey, if she can get somebody else to pay her medical bills and end up with extra on top of that, more power to her!

It's the American way.

Quoted from TheLaw:

It would be kind of funny though. You crying in pain for an hour or 2 alone; so proud of not having a cell phone!

That's why I pay attention when I'm walking.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

What took me down was a sidewalk slab that was raised up no more than one inch.

Yeah, those are everywhere.

Surprised we don't hear about more lawsuits stemming from those. Especially from those in the pinball hobby that we know are so honest.

Root (resized).jpgRoot (resized).jpg

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Funny thing is we have those exact kinds of sidewalks all over around here. But heck you see those easy from a mile away and avoid them. It's those insidous one-inchers that get you.

I hear ya!

And heaven knows how many obstacles like that I have on my own property.

Makes me rethink inviting honest members of the pinball community over to my house to play.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

Hey; I got rid of my wife's Dodge Magnum SRT8 because it kept hitting her in the head when she got in or out of it. They have a really low roof profile. Clearly it wasn't her fault...I got her a Silverado SS and she hasn't hit her head on it once!
    Richard

I've got to get in and out of so many vehicles, that I often wonder what prompted the owners to buy some of them.

Was it a TV commercial? Brand loyalty? Smooth talking salesman? Saw some dude driving one with a hot babe in the passenger seat? Who knows, I never will. As long as I don't get some fatal disease from getting in and out of one of them, I'll keep doing it.

As far as walking thru a parking lot, my best advice so you don't end up getting maimed is to look down and ahead.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballwife4life:

If any one of you got hurt like she did, you would be suing the shit out of PAPA

Hell ya I would! Stick it to to those self righteous money grubbing pinball tournament people!

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dammit. Been hoping for that invite.

You can come over. But from now on I have some no fault papers for everybody to sign before stepping one foot on my cracked driveway.

I don't care if my homeowners insurance will cover your clumsiness, but I just don't want to deal with it.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

That’s it I’m giving you a bad Yelp review.

I really wanted to like this place.

#170 6 years ago

I'm just glad neither my PAPA or MAMA were sued when they had me.

#173 6 years ago

Glad Dave didn't sue me when he went thru my patio screen door. I got a feeling they handle things a little differently down in NZ.

#230 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Isn't this what insurance is for? Why is everyone making it so personal?

Supposedly we are all supposed to have affordable medical insurance by now in the US of A. If you follow the government mandated laws, you are now or should be covered. If not, then the clear answer when you hurt yourself is to sue somebody else just like it always has been.

#233 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Then you get nothing...governmental immunity. Unless you can prove negligence on behalf of the municipality. Which is VERY difficult to do.

It might be difficult to do, but not impossible and the payouts can be very large. Although many were not on government property at the time, payouts of up to $100,000 were given to anybody that was anywhere near and showed some kind of possible related illness to the atom bomb testing that went on back in the day.

#240 6 years ago

On my earlier post about using a cell phone while walking, it has since crossed my mind that after such a long event the batteries might have been dead by then, so perhaps then maybe alcohol was involved in the inability to walk without tripping?

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Perhaps it was a pothole

But sober wouldn't somebody be able to easily navigate one? Unless of course there was no moon out at all that night and it was pitch black.

But then that begs the question of how come every body else that was there was able to get through it and not get hurt?

Or maybe this is just the first lawsuit there and many will follow.

#244 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, it's not reasonable to think people only trip/fall down in the world unless they are drunk or on their phone. That's just ignorant.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, just trying to put myself there so I can figure out what happened and why it wasn't noticed that a big pothole like that was there.

#247 6 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Her head was turned, looking at a player's condition Sorcerer for sale in the adjacent lot. If you know what these go for at auction, your head would turn too.

That makes perfect sense!

Also it is possible after many hours of competition with those super bright LEDs in the games, you come out of the place half blinded and if you are lucky enough you might be able to find your car , let alone see a pothole. It's starting to make much more sense to me now.

#254 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

How about if I leave you a good Yelp review?

As long as you don't sue me for tripping over my garden hose or my tortoise, I don't care what you do.

#258 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

This just might be o-din's Erin Brockovich moment ...

I'm doing my best!

I'm not sure about you or anybody else, but I am real curious what other random elements beside a pothole caused somebody to get injured when so many other people have walked the same path without any issues.

#262 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

For me that solves the mystery.

Not me. It's just a fact that potholes exist and there is no way they will ever all be filled.

What we need to do is get to the bottom of what really happened so anytime a pinsider or pinballer leaves his or her home to go to a tournament or whatever, they can be prepared and do so with the confidence that they will not be harmed, injured, or maimed in any similar way.

We really need to look at the bigger picture here because every body that is involved with pinball is important and just like that Air Disasters show, the entire situation needs to be gone over and over so it doesn't happen to anybody else ever again.

#264 6 years ago

That is an interesting law as many residences and businesses do not own the property that the sidewalks are on. At least where I live they don't. It is city property and thus the city should be required to maintain them.

#281 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This case could be well over $100k

spicoli-righteous-2.jpgspicoli-righteous-2.jpg

#285 6 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

The kicker is she holds her cell phone in both of her hands while riding and looks down the entire time texting or whatever while pedaling forward.

The sad part is this is rapidly becoming considered normal behavior, and it will soon not be able to be used as a defense for whoever she or anybody else might sue because they get injured while staring at the stupid thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-accused-of-negligence?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.