(Topic ID: 214818)

PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

By VectorGamer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NathanP
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10910323-448D-427E-9286-4DC24A619697 (resized).jpeg
    spicoli-righteous-2.jpg
    1508C21E-6FE9-4AC9-B70E-83E8A214E7BD (resized).png
    9E7EE147-DE54-4D43-AD7E-E7397EAF48CD (resized).jpeg
    E50B0517-D8C0-466B-9302-56A2A464531F (resized).png
    erin-brockovich-neckbrace (resized).jpg
    aflac (resized).jpg
    gregg2 (resized).JPG
    gregg (resized).JPG
    superior2 (resized).JPG
    superior (resized).JPG
    bestfriends (resized).jpg
    A59BB0CC-A17C-4E65-AB0B-F9B38B0B3D40 (resized).jpeg
    Root (resized).jpg
    large-potholes (resized).jpg
    TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #75 The legal complaint document Posted by pinball_keefer (6 years ago)

Post #77 Summary of injuries Posted by westofrome (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 6 years ago

Interesting suit. Plaintiff claims Replay should have known folks would park in an overflow lot (which Replay apparently might not even own) and should have maintained/illuminated/cordoned off uneven areas of said lot. I would expect Replay's defense would include the simple provision that people park on other lots at their own risk, and the proper course of action would have been for Jill to park elsewhere and use the PAPA shuttles or other transportation to the site. Adequate onsite parking has never been promised by Replay and they do advertise their shuttles as a solution.

No one forced Jill to choose to park in an unlit, third-party lot that night. I would hope this case does not make it to trial, but if it does, I think Replay prevails.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Shuttles? I did Uber all weekend...

Yep... It looks like plaintiff is trying to claim Replay was negligent by holding a large public event with inadequate parking, and looking the other way when folks parked up all the surrounding lots. I do remember in the past seeing at least one warning from PAPA about the neighboring lots not necessarily being safe due to falling debris or other issues.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Was I an idiot for not seeing the indentation? I'd say I wasn't, and in hindsight, I wish I had brought this up to HR and done the worker's comp thing because I had a lot of real expenses down the road from it, and Jill's issue sounds like it was MUCH worse

It's your employers fault because you aren't able to walk on slightly uneven ground? Why is it someone else's fault that you did not look down and avoid a 3" hole in the ground?

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

No, it's my employer's fault for having one paver (that happened to be almost exactly foot sized) sunken so that if you step just right, your foot goes in and then can't come back out without spraining an ankle.
    Slumlords must love the crowd in this thread. "I don't need to fix anything, just deal with it yourself."

But you have eyes, and if you're watching where you walk, you'd know not to step in a hole, right? I mean, the hole wasn't covered or hidden, and your employer wasn't asking you to carry something at the time that would have obstructed your vision, correct?

#161 6 years ago

This case is trickier than just trip/fall. The lot that plaintiff injured herself in was not owned by Replay, and in fact plaintiff has sued both Replay and Augusta, the owner of the lot. Page 4 claims that Replay was in complete control of this lot during the competition. If there indeed was a formal agreement in place for Replay to use this space for overflow parking, plaintiff may have basis for claim. If Replay had no agreement for use of the lot and plaintiff is claiming Replay negligence for simply holding an event with inadequate parking (but with a tempting lot next door), I think Replay and Augusta prevail. Defendant had multiple choices for transportation and did not need to park in an unsanctioned lot.

I don't like this suit because everyone whose ever gone to PAPA HQ knows the roads and lots are complete crap, and we (myself included) park the place up anyway because.. well, we want to. Even if this was first trip for plaintiff, it is impossible to get into that lot, day or night, and NOT encounter numerous potholes and bumps before exiting the car. This wasn't an open manhole or hidden trap or anything out of the ordinary, it was a simple pothole. Watch where you walk and you won't step in them, and if it's dark, use a light. Personal responsibility, folks. I feel real bad for plaintiff's injury, but to blame other people for stepping in an obvious hole after deliberately choosing to park in a hole-filled lot.. just rubs me the wrong way.

#246 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Surely there is some case law on businesses that do not provide parking in regards to liability. I know of many businesses such as restaurants that don't have parking for their patrons. Most urban areas are like that.

Parking is a convenience and courtesy for customers, and is certainly not a requirement for conducting business. Carpooling, shuttles, public transportation, taxis, ubers/lyfts.. lots of ways to get to a business like PAPA HQ without having to park.

#288 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

She's playing Pokemon Go. And being an idiot, apparently, but I guarantee that's what's going on.

CHARIZARD used POT HOLE. It's super effective!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-accused-of-negligence?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.