(Topic ID: 214818)

PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

By VectorGamer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NathanP
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10910323-448D-427E-9286-4DC24A619697 (resized).jpeg
    spicoli-righteous-2.jpg
    1508C21E-6FE9-4AC9-B70E-83E8A214E7BD (resized).png
    9E7EE147-DE54-4D43-AD7E-E7397EAF48CD (resized).jpeg
    E50B0517-D8C0-466B-9302-56A2A464531F (resized).png
    erin-brockovich-neckbrace (resized).jpg
    aflac (resized).jpg
    gregg2 (resized).JPG
    gregg (resized).JPG
    superior2 (resized).JPG
    superior (resized).JPG
    bestfriends (resized).jpg
    A59BB0CC-A17C-4E65-AB0B-F9B38B0B3D40 (resized).jpeg
    Root (resized).jpg
    large-potholes (resized).jpg
    TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #75 The legal complaint document Posted by pinball_keefer (6 years ago)

Post #77 Summary of injuries Posted by westofrome (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 6 years ago

I did a search and didn't see a thread for this...article popped up in my news feed over the weekend

https://pennrecord.com/stories/511387315-professional-amateur-pinball-association-accused-of-negligence

#2 6 years ago

So weak! Everybody is just looking for a pay day. Society is sad.

#3 6 years ago

People are way too sue happy. If you fall, get up or get fixed. Don't sue people. The world will be a better place.

#4 6 years ago

I guess I can sue the city of Dallas now for not labeling every bloody pothole on I-35 2 days after it rains.

#5 6 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

#6 6 years ago

Jill took a spill - Big whoop

#7 6 years ago

Interesting. Many questions need answering first. Hopefully PAPA has liability insurance, and the property owner.

#8 6 years ago

We fell all the time, but we were stoned/drunk

#9 6 years ago

I'm sorry but this is horseshit! I hope they dig up stuff on this Jill Jasik character and find out she is just a junkie looking for a payday. I'm sorry, how about some personal accountability you dumb shit!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I'm sorry but this is horseshit! I hope they dig up stuff on this Jill Jasik character and find out she is just a junkie looking for a payday. I'm sorry, how about some personal accountability you dumb shit!

It is horseshit. But it is pretty serious non the less. Man, that really sucks. They will probably end up losing a lot of money over this, whether in just court costs or in a settlement.

#11 6 years ago

it's not like this woman is some random who isn't part of the pinball community. her facebook is littered with pinball stuff, she's friends with many well known players, and is clearly a huge part of the Michigan pinball scene. this should be very interesting to see unfold...

#14 6 years ago

I say leave it to the lawyers and judges to figure this out. I doubt anyone here knows what happened and if they did I imagine council on both sides would warn people not to talk about it on the internet.

#15 6 years ago

I'm ranked way higher than her

#16 6 years ago

Just because you're into pinball doesn't mean you can't be a terrible person (allegedly) like a certain ex pinball designer.

#17 6 years ago

Loser pays and half of these "attorneys" would have to close up shop.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

it's not like this woman is some random who isn't part of the pinball community...

Correct.
    Interesting indeed, haven't heard anything aboot this.

#19 6 years ago

In California this is a million dollar settlement.

#20 6 years ago

Suing a Non Profit Organization is just disappointing, if they showed lack of responsibility then that is another issue. PAPAs insurance will go up, or will be harder to get Liability Insurance for next years events. In the long run this person might find themselves with less pinball friends.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Not cool imo

I'm on the fence on that... I TOTALLY get where you're coming from, but also...that's a public profile, and there's no requirement by IFPA to have a picture of anything, much less a personal picture on there. It probably feels more skeevy than it would otherwise because we already have psychopaths on here threatening to lynch her....in light of that, I'm not sure I would've made that post, but I also can't crucify someone for posting it.

It does serve one useful purpose...you can see that this person is fairly active in their competitive community over the last 2 years. You've got to figure that they would know that if they sue the pants off PAPA they're potentially causing some real damage to competitive pinball as a whole. That leaves me with two thoughts: Either this person has a serious friggin' axe to grind, or there's more going on here than we know. People should calm the f down until there's a more clear picture of what's going on... some of you guys and your hyperbolic threats..I swear to god...you're no different than my brother was when he was strung out on meth and crack....full of heat, empty of actions.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

In California this is a million dollar settlement.

That would end PAPA. I don't understand people today. But This girl LOVES pinball

#23 6 years ago

Does PAPA own the building? If not, I would think that it would be the responsibility of the landlord to manage the upkeep and safety of the parking lot. I suppose it might also depend on the type of lease (NNN Vs Mod Gross).

I know that the parking lot of my business is the responsibility of the landlord. I would think this would be fairly common practice.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

We fell all the time, but we were stoned/drunk

And that’s a great point. I would assume this happened at a specific PAPA event with lots of people around in the parking lot taking pics etc. I am not a lawyer, but I would guess that any potential impairment of the plaintiff would come into play here, so if there’s any photos of them drinking etc in the parking lot, the defendants would want to bring that out in their defense. Be interesting to see if there’s anything in the plaintiffs social media feeds that could relate to their state of mind as well, but I’m guessing that would come to light in discovery.

#25 6 years ago

Curious why PAPA is a defendant in this. The only parking lot I can think of is the parking garage of the David L. Lawrence convention center where Replay is held. I guess I am not lawyer-ly enough to get how this all works. Sue the venue ownership, sure.. maybe there was a legit issue there, but why PAPA and Replay?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Quoted from Frippertron:

That would end PAPA. I don't understand people today. But This girl LOVES pinball

Yes..how about that, you hypocrite? You have no idea what the hell really happened, but you're clearly okay with making a ridiculous insinuation that this person a drug addict.. clearly you've waived your own personal responsibility to even remotely attempt to be a decent human being, and have sunk to the level of people filing frivolous lawsuits.

We're all tired of the lawsuit-happy environment in the US. Especially me, because a rural district in my state is frequently used to abuse copyright/trademark/patent laws. Note: I got kicked off a jury for a slip-and-fall case because I knew how to answer the question "What is Occam's Razor?" and the prosecution DID NOT WANT ANYONE WITH A BRAIN ON THE JURY. I was the only one that answered it after several seconds of really uncomfortable silence, and I knew answering it would probably get me removed...it was the only thing I said at all in voir dire, and sure enough...I got dismissed. I really wanted to be on that jury, too, because it was looking like it was going to be a comedy of someone trying to prove culpability where it was clearly the plantiff's fault.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Not cool imo

OK, I deleted the picture. But, I literally just googled "jill jasik pinball" and it's the first link.

There are two sides to every story I know. But suing a Pinball Non-Profit org, THAT is what's not cool.

#28 6 years ago

We have several large buildings/barns on the farm that we have had inquiries to hold events (weddings, reunions, etc.) at. It is something that we'd love to do but have refrained from due to the insurance necessary to cover the acts of one potentially careless person. There are dangers everywhere (in the world), just a shame that one bad apple gets to ruin the fun for everyone else.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

OK, I deleted the picture. But, I literally just googled "jill jasik pinball" and it's the first link.

It’s ok, imho, when she filed a PUBLIC lawsuit her profile became relevant and PUBLIC.

#30 6 years ago

I removed the video link I posted originally. While it is somewhat humorous it sadly also illustrates the behavior of so many people who attempt to defraud the system for their personal benefit. Like others I really don’t like those lawyers that egg on such things. That said, I didn’t intend to imply this person behaved in this manner. I am a firm believer in not jumping to conclusions without referencing as much information as possible about what happened. I believe that there is not enough information here yet to form an opinion on what is going on. It could be a legitimate complaint if negligence is involved. I simply don’t have enough facts and details so I prefer to reserve judgment for now as to any issues of blame on either side. It’s the way I would like to be treated if I somehow ended up in a similar situation.

#31 6 years ago

In Michigan this would go on for a few months to a year and then be thrown out. The winners would be the lawyers. Michigan has an Open and Obvious law that protects from slip and falls and tripping in a parking lot. People still try to sue and it never goes anywhere.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yes..how about that, you hypocrite? You have no idea what the hell really happened, but you're clearly okay with making a ridiculous insinuation that this person a drug addict.. clearly you've waived your own personal responsibility to even remotely attempt to be a decent human being, and have sunk to the level of people filing frivolous lawsuits.
    We're all tired of the lawsuit-happy environment in the US. Especially me, because a rural district in my state is frequently used to abuse copyright/trademark/patent laws. Note: I got kicked off a jury for a slip-and-fall case because I knew how to answer the question "What is Occam's Razor?" and the prosecution DID NOT WANT ANYONE WITH A BRAIN ON THE JURY. I was the only one that answered it after several seconds of really uncomfortable silence, and I knew answering it would probably get me removed...it was the only thing I said at all in voir dire, and sure enough...I got dismissed. I really wanted to be on that jury, too, because it was looking like it was going to be a comedy of someone trying to prove culpability where it was clearly the plantiff's fault.

I didn't assume anything. I said, I "hope" not she "is" to explain the situation. These kind of lawsuits really bother me due to personal experience. I knew I should have bit my tongue and I'm sorry for offending you. I will reserve judgement until more information comes out. Thanks for keeping me on my toes Frax. No disrespect.

#33 6 years ago

In the winter, I snow plow.

A few years ago, an old lady slipped and fell during a blizzard AFTER the shopping center I take care of was closed. Me, being smarter than the average bear, decided to take a video of EVERYTHING once I noticed an ambulance on site.

Insurance was willing to pay $15,000...she wanted $100,000...so off to trial we went. It didn't cost me anything in lawyers, because my insurance provided everything.

It was the biggest joke going. She claimed there was no snow, only ice. My video proved her 100% wrong...it was all snow and no ice. She claimed her replacement shoulder shifted out of place...her own doctor said she was lying about it. Her attorney actually asked me questions that he didn't know the answers too (any good attorney knows to never ask questions unless you know what the answer will be).

At one point, her attorney actually asked me the following: "Why do you keep referring to the storm as a blizzard?" My response while pointing to my video: "Because it was a blizzard...you can clearly see it in the video I took."

It took the jury about 5 minutes to unanimously decide against her.

I must say, I had soooo much fun on the stand. At one point, her lawyer walks up and slaps down a Starbuck receipt in front of me. She was at Starbucks, left, forget her pocketbook and came back after the center was closed. So the lawyer asks me the following:

Lawyer - "Do you know what that is?"
    me - "A piece of paper that has no meaning to me."
    lawyer - "It's a receipt showing that she bought her coffee at 12:30pm...a full half hour before the center closed."
    me - "So...That means absolutely nothing to me."
    lawyer - "you testified in your deposition that she arrived at the center after 1pm...proving you to be a liar."
    me - "First, I never said she arrived at 1pm...I said she returned after 1pm. Second, IMO, this receipt is absolutely worthless to me."
    lawyer - "would you like me to read exactly what you said?"
    me - "sure"
    lawyer (paging through deposition) - "no further questions."

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

I did a search and didn't see a thread for this...article popped up in my news feed over the weekend
    https://pennrecord.com/stories/511387315-professional-amateur-pinball-association-accused-of-negligence

Reading the article: ""The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks judgment against the defendants in an amount that exceeds the jurisdictional limits of this court. "" I don't know what the "courts" limit is, payment for any treatment I would think all she is looking for.

#35 6 years ago

Imagine if the parking lot is dark and there is a 1'x1' size pothole. The owner of the parking lot is aware of the problem but hasn't bothered to do anything about it for the past six months. To compound the issue, the overhead light in this part of the parking lot has been burnt out for the past month, and again the parking lot owner is aware and just hasn't fixed the light. Jill is walking from her car to the door, and because it's dark she can't see the pothole and steps into it. She completely blows up her knee and won't be able to work for the next 4 months and incurs $30k in medical bills. Is she still a horrible person for pursuing a lawsuit?

I don't know the facts of this case, I made up the above scenario. Maybe it was open and obvious? My point is that you shouldn't throw stones until you know all of the facts.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Is she still a horrible person for pursuing a lawsuit?

yes

People need a certain amount of personal accountability and if not, then you are a scumbag in my honest opinion to sue in this scenario.

Pot holes change dramatically with a single storm or higher activity; esp in areas that incur freeze/thaw. You need to know this and be aware of your surroundings. Accidents happen and if you messed up, stepped in a pothole, and injured yourself when walking into a competitive pinball event run by a non-profit; then take ownership of your mess up.

Sucks, but don't make it worse by suing the non-profit that is responsible for so much good in a community you are active in.

#37 6 years ago

Texting and walking, a dangerous combination!

#38 6 years ago

Need to get this person’s cell phone records. Was she talking or texting while walking?

#39 6 years ago

Man I fell like 14 times at MGC. I have Robert Plant on retainer....he said it's nobody's fault but mine.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

yes
    People need a certain amount of personal accountability and if not, then you are a scumbag in my honest opinion to sue...

How do you measure personal accountability and who decides how much a person is supposed to have?

Does a business owner or property owner get to ignore their own accountability when it’s a financial burden?

#42 6 years ago

I'm sure PAPA and the facility are insured. Costs of doing business in this country!

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man I fell like 14 times at MGC. I have Robert Plant on retainer....he said it's nobody's fault but mine.

LOL. I’m totally stealing that

#44 6 years ago

most people don't keep their parking lots up to par, thats just the way it is. Shit happens sometimes, you fall you get hurt. you can't work and face losing everything because somebody was too lazy to call a company to come fix a $50 pothole. We all see it everyday.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Imagine if the parking lot is dark and there is a 1'x1' size pothole. The owner of the parking lot is aware of the problem but hasn't bothered to do anything about it for the past six months. To compound the issue, the overhead light in this part of the parking lot has been burnt out for the past month, and again the parking lot owner is aware and just hasn't fixed the light. Jill is walking from her car to the door, and because it's dark she can't see the pothole and steps into it. She completely blows up her knee and won't be able to work for the next 4 months and incurs $30k in medical bills. Is she still a horrible person for pursuing a lawsuit?
    I don't know the facts of this case, I made up the above scenario. Maybe it was open and obvious? My point is that you shouldn't throw stones until you know all of the facts.

If I was the person falling in your scenario, suing wouldn't even cross my mind. Just a different mindset I guess.

#46 6 years ago

I've seen lots of drunk people fall in that parking lot. Most of them don't sue, however.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

If I was the person falling in your scenario, suing wouldn't even cross my mind. Just a different mindset I guess.

if you couldn't work and was going to lose your house i bet you would change your tune. Grass is always greener.............

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you couldn't work and was going to lose your house i bet you would change your tune. Grass is always greener.............

They seem so self-assured in their viewpoint that suing is evil that I'm confident they would cut off their nose to spite their face.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

most people don't keep their parking lots up to par, thats just the way it is. Shit happens sometimes, you fall you get hurt. you can't work and face losing everything because somebody was too lazy to call a company to come fix a $50 pothole. We all see it everyday.

The parking garage where Replay is held is kept up fairly well. It is not a dump. There are a lot of conventions there and they take good care of the place. I've parked there many times and never seen anything like a huge pothole or other hazard. Obviously I do not know all the facts, just stating my own experience with the venue.

**Edit.. reading the legal complaint again, not even sure where the accident took place so no point in even really commenting further about it since I have zero facts.. lol

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

How do you measure personal accountability and who decides how much a person is supposed to have?
    Does a business owner or property owner get to ignore their own accountability when it’s a financial burden?

personal accountability is being smart enough to know you are walking in a parking lot in PA. Yeah, she sucks.

Sorry, but no matter what you dont sue the non-profit in a hobby that does so much good because you trip and fall in a pot hole.

I also want to know what she is doing in their parking lot when the place is not open (unless this was just filed now but because of an injury from last March; when was the last time the facility was open to the public?)

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-accused-of-negligence?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.