PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

(Topic ID: 214818)

PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

By VectorGamer

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 298 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

10910323-448D-427E-9286-4DC24A619697 (resized).jpeg
    spicoli-righteous-2.jpg
    1508C21E-6FE9-4AC9-B70E-83E8A214E7BD (resized).png
    9E7EE147-DE54-4D43-AD7E-E7397EAF48CD (resized).jpeg
    E50B0517-D8C0-466B-9302-56A2A464531F (resized).png
    erin-brockovich-neckbrace (resized).jpg
    aflac (resized).jpg
    gregg2 (resized).JPG
    gregg (resized).JPG
    superior2 (resized).JPG
    superior (resized).JPG
    bestfriends (resized).jpg
    A59BB0CC-A17C-4E65-AB0B-F9B38B0B3D40 (resized).jpeg
    Root (resized).jpg
    large-potholes (resized).jpg
    TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 4 months ago
    Quoted from Commonlaws:

Does no one one else have a problem with the incredibly racist image that blitzburgh99 posted above?

Geez.....really??? I love Mammy!!!

#202 4 months ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Sheezus really?? Watch where you are walking
    “plaintiff alleges that she sustained serious physical injuries when she allegedly fell due to a large hole and/or uneven surface in a parking lot.”

For those of you that have never been to Pittsburgh....the whole geography is an uneven surface! If one doesn’t like to traverse inclines of many different degrees....don’t go to Pittsburgh

#203 4 months ago

So... jill, in this case, was not at work for papa, but a competitor/visitor, and tripped by personal accident and got injured.

She has no personal beef with getting money from papa, but she uses her insurance to have medical expenses covered. Correct?

And the insurance company then sues papa hq/replay fx so they can get their money back, without it necessarily being what jill wants?

Is that a correct assesment of the situation?

#204 4 months ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

So... jill, in this case, was not at work for papa, but a competitor/visitor, and tripped by personal accident and got injured.
    She has no personal beef with getting money from papa, but she uses her insurance to have medical expenses covered. Correct?
    And the insurance company then sues papa hq/replay fx so they can get their money back, without it necessarily being what jill wants?

Where is any mention of any insurance company?

#205 4 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I have a bottle of pancake syrup in the pantry with a similar image. What's the big deal?

I'd agree, but mammy can be a racist stereotype. Incredibly racist image? Remove the word mammy and it's just a black lady eating an orange.

#206 4 months ago

One person’s insurance company is going to be working with a business’s insurance company. Mind blowing stuff, man.

#207 4 months ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Maybe. Nobody here really knows for sure.

#208 4 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

yup 09 April 2016 and the suit claims an inability to do hobbies but she has had no trouble playing in more pinball competitions...
    One as recent as April 30th 2016, just a few short weeks after this injury???
    It gives pause to see such a major injury and still standing on a fracture for long hours of pinball in such a short time frame.

I was thinking the same thing. I literally went out and bought new shoes while I was at PAPA the first time. My feet were killing me at the end of the day.

#209 4 months ago

The difference would be (from a european perspective), if one person files a lawsuit against an organization which stands for so much in your hobby, because they accidentally misstepped and got injured, that is in my opinion (for what its not worth) a dick move.

If its just that that person has a health insurance, and of course uses it to get their medical bills covered that is understandable. Whatever the insurance company does afterwards should be kinda out of that persons control and should not get any "blame" for it.

But maybe in the US it is different, that insurance companies will only cover accident expenses if the "injured" agrees to file a lawsuit?

#210 4 months ago

Geez, tough crowd in here.

Sorry it involves PAPA, but this kind of lawsuit happens all the time. Yes, even with non-profits. Museums, theaters, etc....

It's easy in hindsight to say "she should have done X to avoid the injury", but that really stinks to say. Nobody wants to get injured and all the baggage that comes along with that.

Maybe if healthcare were provided by the government, she/insurance wouldn't have to sue to recover the money. Food for thought.

#211 4 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Maybe if healthcare were provided by the government, she/insurance wouldn't have to sue to recover the money. Food for thought.

Right, a major difference between states and norway at least

#212 4 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yes, even with non-profits.

Non-profit doesn't mean much. I'm not saying PAPA is making millions of dollars, but lets not forget the NFL was a non-profit for many many years.

#213 4 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Non-profit doesn't mean much. I'm not saying PAPA is making millions of dollars, but lets not forget the NFL was a non-profit for many many years.

I work daily with non-profits, I agree, they can definitely make money.

#214 4 months ago

This thread should be closed. It’s not gonna do anyone any good here. Draining!

#215 4 months ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

This thread should be closed. It’s not gonna do anyone any good here. Draining!

agree, mods please close this shit.

#216 4 months ago

In b 4 the lock

#217 4 months ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

that is in my opinion (for what its not worth) a dick move.

#218 4 months ago

why close it? if you don't like it, I am sure you can figure out a way to avoid reading it.....As many others have pointed out, for someone who suffered such severe and debilitating injuries, how was she able to compete in so much pinball? Also, what type of shoes was she wearing? high heels? If so, then perhaps she bears some responsibility.....

#219 4 months ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

why close it? if you don't like it, I am sure you can figure out a way to avoid reading it.....As many others have pointed out, for someone who suffered such severe and debilitating injuries, how was she able to compete in so much pinball? Also, what type of shoes was she wearing? high heels? If so, then perhaps she bears some responsibility.....

Isn't there an achievement for posting in a thread that locks? I thought I read that somewhere... If so, let's close this party down!

#220 4 months ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Isn't there an achievement for posting in a thread that locks? I thought I read that somewhere... If so, let's close this party down!

Wait until my lawsuit for pain and suffering (and nostril membrane surgery) resulting from the smells emanating out of the mens bathroom.

#221 4 months ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

She was not wearing high heels. She always wears gym shoes to Pinball events. I remember her being helped inside by several people cause she couldn’t walk. This happened at night. To play Pinball, all you need is your hands. There’s something called a chair you can sit on to play. I’ve even seen some people still compete on crutches or a scooter at PAPA. Let the courts handle this.

#222 4 months ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

» YouTube video

hah!
    Always appreciate a Rick n Morty reference when possible!

#223 4 months ago

pinside you disappoint. Not a single wackjob suggested that this is an insurance scam and Jill is in cahoots with PAPA.

#224 4 months ago

Apparently walking and paying attention to where your walking is hard for some people. It sucks that she got hurt and injured herself. She probably doesnt Have insurance which is motivating her lawsuit. Friend of mine stepped off a curb, one step 6 inches, fell and broke her leg. She did not sue the restaurant.

#225 4 months ago

has quickly turned bad. no sense in continuing to talk about it. yes people should watch where they walk. i go to papa hq all the time. the lot is a mess. if i fell it would be my own fault. all of this was stated countless times. at this point it is beating a dead horse.

#226 4 months ago

One of the sad byproducts of this is that I’m guessing that there will not be any future events at the facility as a result. Hope they get their new building soon.....

#227 4 months ago

curious, for future reference...

Is there a way for a business like PAPA to help free themselves of any potential issue that arrise like this with putting some sort of signs around and posting info publicly on their website about common hazards and them not taking responsibility.

Asking as I hope to be able to at some point open my collection to the public for larger events. What is the best way to protect yourself from these sort of lawsuits and place all accountability squarely on the person in attendance. I figure pot holes are just a thing and to be expected, but could see some sue happy person viewing it differently.

#228 4 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is there a way for a business like PAPA to help free themselves of any potential issue that arrise like this with putting some sort of signs around and posting info publicly on their website about common hazards and them not taking responsibility.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/personal-injury/warning-sign-affect-liability-property-owner.html

#229 4 months ago

Isn't this what insurance is for? Why is everyone making it so personal?

#230 4 months ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Supposedly we are all supposed to have affordable medical insurance by now in the US of A. If you follow the government mandated laws, you are now or should be covered. If not, then the clear answer when you hurt yourself is to sue somebody else just like it always has been.

#231 4 months ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Yeah, this is par for the course. If the claims are BS, they'll settle for a few grand because it's cheaper than going to court and the plaintiff's lawyer isn't going to waste their time. Insurance companies have lawyers too. You should see the outlandish claims of injury from my fender bender a few years ago. In the end, they settled for a few grand. After the lawyer and the chiropractor got their cut, it's hard to believe it was worth it. Most folks view an accident as a pain in the ass and a few view it as a payday. Welcome to the USA!

#232 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Smart people hurt themselves on government owned property.

Then you get nothing...governmental immunity. Unless you can prove negligence on behalf of the municipality. Which is VERY difficult to do.

In the case above the municipality would have to have been publicly aware of the pothole and fail to repair it in a "reasonable" amount of time. What's a reasonable amount of time...approximately 30 days. Again...you would first have to prove they knew about it.

I do this for a living and "slip and falls" on governmental property happen daily. Almost no one successfully proves negligence and "governmental immunity" prevails. That's why governmental insurance rates are way lower than private business insurance.

#233 4 months ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Then you get nothing...governmental immunity. Unless you can prove negligence on behalf of the municipality. Which is VERY difficult to do.

It might be difficult to do, but not impossible and the payouts can be very large. Although many were not on government property at the time, payouts of up to $100,000 were given to anybody that was anywhere near and showed some kind of possible related illness to the atom bomb testing that went on back in the day.

#234 4 months ago

If the person was injured on non-PAPA property how would they have liability?
    How many times have we been to a place and had to park on the street or on some other private property? We choose where we want to park. Nobody forces us to park in a particular spot.
    As a non-lawyer it would seem only the property owner and the company responsible for maintaining and lighting the parking lot should be sued.

#235 4 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

If the person was injured on non-PAPA property how would they have liability?
    How many times have we been to place and had to park on the street or on some other private property? We choose where we want to park. No-body forces us to park in a particular spot.
    As a non-lawyer it would seem only the property owner and the company responsible for maintaining and lighting the parking lot should be sued.

Everything is possible in the awful US court system. Failure to budget for proper parking based on anticipated attendance, forcing attendees to go offsite, blah blah blah.

Liability insurance will pick up the cost, if any, but this looks like another "settle out of court" thing to avoid legal fees. It's going after insurance company money.

#236 4 months ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Everything is possible in the awful US court system. Failure to budget for proper parking based on anticipated attendance, forcing attendees to go offsite, blah blah blah.
    Liability insurance will pick up the cost, if any, but this looks like another "settle out of court" thing to avoid legal fees. It's going after insurance company money.

Surely there is some case law on businesses that do not provide parking in regards to liability. I know of many businesses such as restaurants that don't have parking for their patrons. Most urban areas are like that.

#237 4 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Surely there is some case law on businesses that do not provide parking in regards to liability. I know of many businesses such as restaurants that don't have parking for their patrons. Most urban areas are like that.

Yep. Probably is. But if the suit is allowed to go forward by the court, then you can get an insurance company settlement or trial.

#238 4 months ago
    Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Are you implying that it's financially irresponsible if you can't afford to go 4 months without working and paying 30k in medical expenses? While it's great that you can, many can't and I don't think that makes them irresponsible.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you couldn't work and was going to lose your house i bet you would change your tune. Grass is always greener.............

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

prob the stupidest comment i'll read all day! How do you know what she does for a living? Maybe she's a waitress, has to stand on her feet all day? Now has a traumatic knee injury which requires surgery. You're looking at 6 months off work possibly and months of rehab. You think she's got savings to cover medical bills of $30-50k, rent, bills, etc. ????

I know I shouldn't but I just can't resist:

aflac (resized).jpg

#239 4 months ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Yep. Probably is. But if the suit is allowed to go forward by the court, then you can get an insurance company settlement or trial.

The lawyers should be a able settle it one way or another outside of court for PAPA. I would guess the insurance for the owner's of the parking lot may be in a little more of a fight.

#240 4 months ago

On my earlier post about using a cell phone while walking, it has since crossed my mind that after such a long event the batteries might have been dead by then, so perhaps then maybe alcohol was involved in the inability to walk without tripping?

#241 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

...so perhaps then maybe alcohol was involved in the inability to walk without tripping?

Perhaps it was a pothole

#242 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Perhaps it was a pothole

But sober wouldn't somebody be able to easily navigate one? Unless of course there was no moon out at all that night and it was pitch black.

But then that begs the question of how come every body else that was there was able to get through it and not get hurt?

Or maybe this is just the first lawsuit there and many will follow.

#243 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But sober wouldn't somebody be able to easily navigate one?

No, it's not reasonable to think people only trip/fall down in the world unless they are drunk or on their phone. That's just ignorant.

#244 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, it's not reasonable to think people only trip/fall down in the world unless they are drunk or on their phone. That's just ignorant.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, just trying to put myself there so I can figure out what happened and why it wasn't noticed that a big pothole like that was there.

#245 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not trying to be ignorant, just trying to put myself there so I can figure out what happened and why it wasn't noticed that a big pothole like that was there.

Her head was turned, looking at a player's condition Sorcerer for sale in the adjacent lot. If you know what these go for at auction, your head would turn too.

#246 4 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Parking is a convenience and courtesy for customers, and is certainly not a requirement for conducting business. Carpooling, shuttles, public transportation, taxis, ubers/lyfts.. lots of ways to get to a business like PAPA HQ without having to park.

#247 4 months ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Her head was turned, looking at a player's condition Sorcerer for sale in the adjacent lot. If you know what these go for at auction, your head would turn too.

That makes perfect sense!

Also it is possible after many hours of competition with those super bright LEDs in the games, you come out of the place half blinded and if you are lucky enough you might be able to find your car , let alone see a pothole. It's starting to make much more sense to me now.

#248 4 months ago

Whatever happened to the days of mind your own business.

This had nothing to do with us and is somewhat egotistical to try and frame it from our perspectives.

Good luck Jill, I hope you are ok.

#249 4 months ago

While we're killing time, I thought of a hypothetical. Let's say Jill was exhausted from a ten hour day playing pinball and was on the way to her favorite watering hole. It might be close by and she is really looking forward to going there to unwind. Did she trip and become injured after leaving the PAPA event, while walking through a private parking lot as a means to go home or because she was in a hurrying to get to her car so she could drive to her watering hole? One suggests the parking lot was a link in the chain of events for PAPA, the other is a link in the chain of events for traveling on to place#2. Maybe the place she was heading next shares the blame. any premise liability lawyers in da house?

#250 4 months ago

Pinside legal advice is the best legal advice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 149.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 63.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside