(Topic ID: 214818)

PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

By VectorGamer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NathanP
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10910323-448D-427E-9286-4DC24A619697 (resized).jpeg
    spicoli-righteous-2.jpg
    1508C21E-6FE9-4AC9-B70E-83E8A214E7BD (resized).png
    9E7EE147-DE54-4D43-AD7E-E7397EAF48CD (resized).jpeg
    E50B0517-D8C0-466B-9302-56A2A464531F (resized).png
    erin-brockovich-neckbrace (resized).jpg
    aflac (resized).jpg
    gregg2 (resized).JPG
    gregg (resized).JPG
    superior2 (resized).JPG
    superior (resized).JPG
    bestfriends (resized).jpg
    A59BB0CC-A17C-4E65-AB0B-F9B38B0B3D40 (resized).jpeg
    Root (resized).jpg
    large-potholes (resized).jpg
    TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

WTF??? I just learned we are friends!!!!
    Awesome!

Good work. It all starts with 1!

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Funny thing is we have those exact kinds of sidewalks all over around here. But heck you see those easy from a mile away and avoid them. It's those insidous one-inchers that get you.

I hear ya!

And heaven knows how many obstacles like that I have on my own property.

Makes me rethink inviting honest members of the pinball community over to my house to play.

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Awesome!

bestfriends (resized).jpgbestfriends (resized).jpg

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's why I pay attention when I'm walking.

Just not when getting out of vehicles.

Hey; I got rid of my wife's Dodge Magnum SRT8 because it kept hitting her in the head when she got in or out of it. They have a really low roof profile. Clearly it wasn't her fault...I got her a Silverado SS and she hasn't hit her head on it once!

Richard

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

No, it's my employer's fault for having one paver (that happened to be almost exactly foot sized) sunken so that if you step just right, your foot goes in and then can't come back out without spraining an ankle.
    Slumlords must love the crowd in this thread. "I don't need to fix anything, just deal with it yourself."

But you have eyes, and if you're watching where you walk, you'd know not to step in a hole, right? I mean, the hole wasn't covered or hidden, and your employer wasn't asking you to carry something at the time that would have obstructed your vision, correct?

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

Hey; I got rid of my wife's Dodge Magnum SRT8 because it kept hitting her in the head when she got in or out of it. They have a really low roof profile. Clearly it wasn't her fault...I got her a Silverado SS and she hasn't hit her head on it once!
    Richard

I've got to get in and out of so many vehicles, that I often wonder what prompted the owners to buy some of them.

Was it a TV commercial? Brand loyalty? Smooth talking salesman? Saw some dude driving one with a hot babe in the passenger seat? Who knows, I never will. As long as I don't get some fatal disease from getting in and out of one of them, I'll keep doing it.

As far as walking thru a parking lot, my best advice so you don't end up getting maimed is to look down and ahead.

#157 6 years ago

If any one of you got hurt like she did, you would be suing the shit out of PAPA

Its amazing to see how some of you are the same ones fighting against sexism in pinball and then turn around and Bash a women because she’s suing your beloved PAPA for getting hurt at their business.

Jill has done a lot to help promote pinball and get more people into this hobby. Yet you call her a junkie & try to down play her injury. Grow up

Also FYI for the idiots who don’t understand how insurance works.... do some actual research outside of IFPA... you might learn something

#158 6 years ago

I don't know Grabowski, but his name is so similar to mine I'm predisposed to like the guy. Like almost every topic here, will reserve judgement for later date. I'm *guessing* this is not what she wanted to transpire, but dickheaded insurance co forced her hand. They are truly the worst.
    Also....ACNC blew my panties off HOLY SHIT Spooky ko'd it.

#159 6 years ago

You own a business, you have liability insurance to handle these exact scenarios, period. PAPA for sure has it. So does the building owner.

Our liability laws are what they are, and yes they often don't necessarily encourage taking personal responsibility for what circumstances one finds oneself in life. It is what it is.

Not all lawyers chase ambulances, not all insurance companies are evil, not all individuals lack personal responsibility, and without personally knowing the merits of the case in a court of law its impossible to draw any conclusions here.

Nobody wants to be subject to these suits, but you have to accept it can and (if one stays in business long enough) will happen. And people/ companies will for the most part do what is in their own best interests, right or wrong.

Move along. Nothing to see here

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballwife4life:

If any one of you got hurt like she did, you would be suing the shit out of PAPA

Hell ya I would! Stick it to to those self righteous money grubbing pinball tournament people!

#161 6 years ago

This case is trickier than just trip/fall. The lot that plaintiff injured herself in was not owned by Replay, and in fact plaintiff has sued both Replay and Augusta, the owner of the lot. Page 4 claims that Replay was in complete control of this lot during the competition. If there indeed was a formal agreement in place for Replay to use this space for overflow parking, plaintiff may have basis for claim. If Replay had no agreement for use of the lot and plaintiff is claiming Replay negligence for simply holding an event with inadequate parking (but with a tempting lot next door), I think Replay and Augusta prevail. Defendant had multiple choices for transportation and did not need to park in an unsanctioned lot.

I don't like this suit because everyone whose ever gone to PAPA HQ knows the roads and lots are complete crap, and we (myself included) park the place up anyway because.. well, we want to. Even if this was first trip for plaintiff, it is impossible to get into that lot, day or night, and NOT encounter numerous potholes and bumps before exiting the car. This wasn't an open manhole or hidden trap or anything out of the ordinary, it was a simple pothole. Watch where you walk and you won't step in them, and if it's dark, use a light. Personal responsibility, folks. I feel real bad for plaintiff's injury, but to blame other people for stepping in an obvious hole after deliberately choosing to park in a hole-filled lot.. just rubs me the wrong way.

#162 6 years ago

This is exactly what IFPA is squirreling away those extra ONE dollars for!

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I hear ya!
    Makes me rethink inviting honest members of the pinball community over to my house to play.

Dammit. Been hoping for that invite. Oh well I still have your Bon Voyage as hostage.

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dammit. Been hoping for that invite.

You can come over. But from now on I have some no fault papers for everybody to sign before stepping one foot on my cracked driveway.

I don't care if my homeowners insurance will cover your clumsiness, but I just don't want to deal with it.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You can come over. But from now on I have some no fault papers for everybody to sign before stepping one foot on my cracked driveway.
    I don't care if my homeowners insurance will cover your clumsiness, but I just don't want to deal with it.

That’s it I’m giving you a bad Yelp review.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

That’s it I’m giving you a bad Yelp review.

I really wanted to like this place.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

No, it's my employer's fault for having one paver (that happened to be almost exactly foot sized) sunken so that if you step just right, your foot goes in and then can't come back out without spraining an ankle.

I would have just fixed it myself but... Did somebody tell them there was a hazard? If not, how could it be anybody's fault? It's no more their fault than yours for not paying attention.
    I think it's more about blaming somebody else than about you tripping. Figuratively speaking.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

This case is trickier than just trip/fall. The lot that plaintiff injured herself in was not owned by Replay, and in fact plaintiff has sued both Replay and Augusta, the owner of the lot. Page 4 claims that Replay was in complete control of this lot during the competition. If there indeed was a formal agreement in place for Replay to use this space for overflow parking, plaintiff may have basis for claim. If Replay had no agreement for use of the lot and plaintiff is claiming Replay negligence for simply holding an event with inadequate parking (but with a tempting lot next door), I think Replay and Augusta prevail. Defendant had multiple choices for transportation and did not need to park in an unsanctioned lot.
    I don't like this suit because everyone whose ever gone to PAPA HQ knows the roads and lots are complete crap, and we (myself included) park the place up anyway because.. well, we want to. Even if this was first trip for plaintiff, it is impossible to get into that lot, day or night, and NOT encounter numerous potholes and bumps before exiting the car. This wasn't an open manhole or hidden trap or anything out of the ordinary, it was a simple pothole. Watch where you walk and you won't step in them, and if it's dark, use a light. Personal responsibility, folks. I feel real bad for plaintiff's injury, but to blame other people for stepping in an obvious hole after deliberately choosing to park in a hole-filled lot.. just rubs me the wrong way.

If the place is really that bad, then that sounds very negligent to me - why aren't they fixing the holes in their property?

And as others have said, it's very likely this is an insurance issue that forced the suit to begin with.

#169 6 years ago

Now on the 1000 post watch in this thread.

PS....Pittsburgh is full of pot holes. She’s obviously not from around there

#170 6 years ago

I'm just glad neither my PAPA or MAMA were sued when they had me.

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Insurance is a service. Their job is to assume risk

Insurance is a business.

Their job is to make a profit.

rd

#173 6 years ago

Glad Dave didn't sue me when he went thru my patio screen door. I got a feeling they handle things a little differently down in NZ.

#174 6 years ago

I'm guilty of being highly negligent in the PAPA parking lot. That's pretty much what the lot is for isn't it?

Oh, and all the people saying they'd never sue anyone are the FIRST people to get sue happy as soon as they or a family member gets hurt!

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Glad Dave didn't sue me when he went thru my patio screen door. I got a feeling they handle things a little differently down in NZ.

Oh yeah, I forgot to sue you. F**k you for getting me so drunk and closing the door on me! I almost killed RobT with the flying door remnants!

I hearby sue you for all your avocado trees!

(But not the one you piss on ....)

rd

#176 6 years ago

Its amazing to see how some of you are the same ones fighting against sexism in pinball and then turn around and Bash a women because she’s suing your beloved PAPA for getting hurt at their business.
    Jill has done a lot to help promote pinball and get more people into this hobby. Yet you call her a junkie & try to down play her injury. Grow up
    Also FYI for the idiots who don’t understand how insurance works.... do some actual research outside of IFPA... you might learn something

Good lord. Seriously?

This has NOTHING to do with gender!

#177 6 years ago

I second that Pittsburgh is a giant pot hole. I’m sorry but having pot holes in your parking lot in April does not make you a slum lord. Pittsburgh gets snow some years until about May. If the hole was that huge, at least put a cone in the hole until repaired. I feel bad for PAPA’s neighbors for allowing them to have people park in their lot. It’s a triple loss, PAPA now having to take responsibility for the condition of their parking lot and for Jill falling.

#178 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jenniebear:

I second that Pittsburgh is a giant pot hole.

If she is requesting a local jury to determine the outcome, she’s gonna lose....those local yinzers will all laugh their asses off when they hear her story. Because they have all fallen in a pothole at one point in their lives. Haha!

#179 6 years ago

This is why over 70% of the world's attorneys practice in the U.S.

#180 6 years ago

250 posts by midnight?????!!!?!

#181 6 years ago

Right about now, JJP is saying "Thank you PAPA".

#182 6 years ago

Btw enough with this "nonprofit" crap. So is Joel Osteen's mega church. It just means they don't po su taxes.

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Right about now, JJP is saying "Thank you PAPA".

shouldn't they be thanking Jill

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I feel bad for the plaintiff, but this is the most logical post of any I have read. I've been to PAPA many times and there is much truth in these statements. Hopefully, a reasonable settlement that PAPAs insurance can handle will pay enough for care for the plaintiff and all parties involved weather the storm.
    Good post.

#185 6 years ago

The gender card is completely irrelevant and stinks of sensationalism.

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

More people would come by, but that 5 page liability waiver that you have takes to long to read.

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you couldn't work and was going to lose your house i bet you would change your tune. Grass is always greener.............

no because I'd be responsible enough to not put myself in a situation where not working for a few months would lose me my house. Or I'd figure another way to make money someway somehow. Before I tried to blame somebody else and manipulate the system to get by for my own mistake. I'm 33 years old. And a lot of people on here are older than me and are apart of the problem with this world. Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions.

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Awesome!

Ha. That's pretty funny.

#189 6 years ago

Jill has done a lot to help promote pinball and get more people into this hobby. Yet you call her a junkie & try to down play her injury.

Maybe i missed it, but I have not seen anyone bashing on her because she is a woman???

I missed any claims of her being a junkie also???

#190 6 years ago

I believe this is one of the lots described as used for the event but not the one the injury occurred in. Note google maps has July 2016 mapping views of the area and the injury happened on April 9, 2016.

superior (resized).JPGsuperior (resized).JPG

superior2 (resized).JPGsuperior2 (resized).JPG

#191 6 years ago

Sheezus really?? Watch where you are walking

“plaintiff alleges that she sustained serious physical injuries when she allegedly fell due to a large hole and/or uneven surface in a parking lot. The plaintiff holds the defendants responsible for allegedly failing to keep their premises properly lit or provide adequate warnings about the hazardous condition of the parking lot.”

#192 6 years ago

After reading the suit again I am guessing it is this lot where the injury occurred. You can see one decent sized pot hole where the cars drive in. There is also what appears to be street parking over on Superior.

gregg (resized).JPGgregg (resized).JPG

#193 6 years ago

Shouldn't people be using street parking instead of private property for such parking? You can see white business trucks are parked in the lot.

More potholes near the business trucks but also street lights nearby on both ends of the lot:

gregg2 (resized).JPGgregg2 (resized).JPG

#194 6 years ago

Does no one one else have a problem with the incredibly racist image that Blitzburgh99 posted above?

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from Commonlaws:

Does no one one else have a problem with the incredibly racist image that blitzburgh99 posted above?

I’m not cool with it.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Commonlaws:

Does no one one else have a problem with the incredibly racist image that blitzburgh99 posted above?

No!

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from Commonlaws:

Welcome to pinside and congrats on making your first post. Soon you'll be able to police threads and insult code designers.

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from Commonlaws:

Yup, that's pretty messed up.

#199 6 years ago

I have a bottle of pancake syrup in the pantry with a similar image. What's the big deal?

#200 6 years ago

I was thinking the same thing.

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-accused-of-negligence/page/4?hl=michigandad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.