(Topic ID: 214818)

PAPA accused of negligence (alleged parking lot injury)

By VectorGamer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 303 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NathanP
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10910323-448D-427E-9286-4DC24A619697 (resized).jpeg
    spicoli-righteous-2.jpg
    1508C21E-6FE9-4AC9-B70E-83E8A214E7BD (resized).png
    9E7EE147-DE54-4D43-AD7E-E7397EAF48CD (resized).jpeg
    E50B0517-D8C0-466B-9302-56A2A464531F (resized).png
    erin-brockovich-neckbrace (resized).jpg
    aflac (resized).jpg
    gregg2 (resized).JPG
    gregg (resized).JPG
    superior2 (resized).JPG
    superior (resized).JPG
    bestfriends (resized).jpg
    A59BB0CC-A17C-4E65-AB0B-F9B38B0B3D40 (resized).jpeg
    Root (resized).jpg
    large-potholes (resized).jpg
    TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

They seem so self-assured in their viewpoint that suing is evil that I'm confident they would cut off their nose to spite their face.

Curious if you know Jill? You seem very defensive

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you couldn't work and was going to lose your house i bet you would change your tune. Grass is always greener.............

If falling in a parking lot causes you to lose your home, you had problems before your fall.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from CosmoJoe:

The parking garage where Replay is held is kept up fairly well. It is not a dump. There are a lot of conventions there and they take good care of the place. I've parked there many times and never seen anything like a huge pothole or other hazard. Obviously I do not know all the facts, just stating my own experience with the venue.

the lawyers will work this out. but sometimes it takes a third party, nothing wrong with that.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Curious if you know Jill? You seem very defensive

I do not know the person. I get personally annoyed at gatekeepers in online communities who decide they are the only ones who get to define what is acceptable behavior.

In this case you are being one of the gatekeepers who feels their opinion on a topic is the only correct answer.

#55 6 years ago

Smart people hurt themselves on government owned property.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from WyseGuy:

If falling in a parking lot causes you to lose your home, you had problems before your fall.

Are you implying that it's financially irresponsible if you can't afford to go 4 months without working and paying 30k in medical expenses? While it's great that you can, many can't and I don't think that makes them irresponsible.

#57 6 years ago

Are you fricken kidding me? ALL OF WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA is a giant pot hole after this winter. F--king walk and drive at your own peril.

Never heard of a Jill Jasik. Would love to know when this incident took place.

#58 6 years ago

If Bowen had just done a tutorial on how to walk this would NEVER have happened! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from WyseGuy:

prob the stupidest comment i'll read all day! How do you know what she does for a living? Maybe she's a waitress, has to stand on her feet all day? Now has a traumatic knee injury which requires surgery. You're looking at 6 months off work possibly and months of rehab. You think she's got savings to cover medical bills of $30-50k, rent, bills, etc. ????

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you couldn't work and was going to lose your house i bet you would change your tune. Grass is always greener.............

No, you don't get it. It's not in my mindset to even think of suing others. If you ran me over with your car on purpose, that is a reason to sue you. If I venture into a place that I am not physically capable of navigating or am not carrying the proper equipment to do so, that's on me.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

I do not know the person. I get personally annoyed at gatekeepers in online communities who decide they are the only ones who get to define what is acceptable behavior.
    In this case you are being one of the gatekeepers who feels their opinion on a topic is the only correct answer.

I dont feel my opinion is the only right answer, just expressing that anyone suing in this situation is a Dbag IMO.

I dont really care what how dark the parking lot was, or how big the pot hole was. MHO is that it is on the person to pay attention and avoid these situations.
    Assuming this happened at the old PAPA facility (otherwise she would be trying to sue the convention center where replay happens) that is an older area of town that was only open 2x per year for public events. It is a non-profit and hence has limited budget. I put the accountability on the individual. I also wonder if they were using a parking space on the property or parking in a non-designated space? Why were they at the property (does not appear that they are in the roll call for any event or even registered for something at the headquarters)?

Lots of details to be hammered out, but no matter what they are a DBag IMHO given the circumstances.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

If you ran me over with your car in purpose, that is a reason to sue you.

Sorry dude no fault insurance here you can't sue me

#63 6 years ago

I don't know anything about this situation, but sometimes people have to do some weird things, like suing, in order to initiate insurance claims. In many cases someone has to be found negligent in order for them to pay. My dad recently fell while stepping up on our retaining wall. Knocked out two of his teeth. My insurance company paid $1,000, but after that he had to prove negligence. He could have sued me to try to prove that and while he would have been technically suing me, it would have been my insurance which would have paid.

#64 6 years ago

Yeah, this Jill Jasek seems like a real evil person....
    http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2014/12/pinball_event_at_richfield_bow.html

Can't believe everyone rushing to judgement against her with literally no facts at all. I'm glad some people think if they incurred $50k worth of medical bills and were incapacitated for months that they'd just shrug it off, but that's why we have laws in the country and, more important, insurance.

#65 6 years ago

Non profit business' need insurance too and are liable for taking care of their property to be safe for not only others but themselves. This is the way the legal system is set up. She is just following protocol here in filing the suit. I have meet her a few times but that has nothing to do with my feelings here. I have insurance on my business property and my home so if someone hurts themselves on my property I am covered. I hope papa has insurance and this gets settled fairly and quickly.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont feel my opinion is the only right answer, just expressing that anyone suing in this situation is a Dbag IMO.
    I dont really care what how dark the parking lot was, or how big the pot hole was. MHO is that it is on the person to pay attention and avoid these situations.
    Assuming this happened at the old PAPA facility (otherwise she would be trying to sue the convention center where replay happens) that is an older area of town that was only open 2x per year for public events. It is a non-profit and hence has limited budget. I put the accountability on the individual. I also wonder if they were using a parking space on the property or parking in a non-designated space? Why were they at the property (does not appear that they are in the roll call for any event or even registered for something at the headquarters)?
    Lots of details to be hammered out, but no matter what they are a DBag IMHO given the circumstances.

and the lawyers will go over all this and decide who was negligent. Possibly both parties to a certain extent.

#67 6 years ago

Thank you for digging up this link. For everyone who is demonizing her, the article reads in pertinent part:

GENESEE TWP, MI -- Jill Jasik and Andy Rosa are using their love of pinball to help raise money for Children's Miracle Network at Hurley Medical Center in Flint.

The pair have organized the Children's Miracle Network charity pinball event scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, at Richfield Bowl, 5340 Richfield Road, in Genesee Township that includes a tournament.

"All of the money from every entry is going to Hurley Children's Miracle Network," said Jasik of the $10 tournament fee and participants dropping coins in the Dragon pinball machine.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

most people don't keep their parking lots up to par, thats just the way it is. Shit happens sometimes, you fall you get hurt. you can't work and face losing everything because somebody was too lazy to call a company to come fix a $50 pothole. We all see it everyday.

$50 pothole? Who does your patches that cheaply?

#69 6 years ago

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

$50 pothole? Who does your patches that cheaply?

actually had mine fixed for $30! but they were working next door already

#71 6 years ago

Settle out of court. Any three machines of her choice.

#72 6 years ago

it'll never go to court!

#73 6 years ago

Deathmath against Bowen on pinball machine of her choice. If Jill wins, she'll own all the games inside PAPA building. If she loses, she must sprint through parking lot and safely arrive at the street, without stepping into a hole and twisting an ankle or getting run over. Pay-per-view $50 fee to watch the I'm Hungry Games.

#74 6 years ago

Yikes. It looks like she's a member of the pinball community based on the charity article above. I'm assuming this has to be some crazy stuff for her to sue PAPA and potentially destroy something so dear to the community.

I'm not passing judgment, but you can be damn sure there would have to be gross negligence for me to even consider a lawsuit against PAPA. Like someone representing PAPA taping a black plastic garbage bag over a 4' deep hole or some shit.

#75 6 years ago

The complaint.

Edit to add: The amount must be over $35K since that's the jurisdictional limit.

jill_jasic_v_papa_1.pdfjill_jasic_v_papa_1.pdf

#76 6 years ago

Still doesn't say the actual injuries caused by her carelessness.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Still doesn't say the actual injuries caused by her carelessness.

Huh? It's in there, twice.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#78 6 years ago

"She is represented by Jonathan M. Stewart"

Not the best idea. Adam Sandler doesn't even get to keep the kid!

Big Daddy (resized).JPGBig Daddy (resized).JPG

#79 6 years ago

Fracture + surgery makes this a big deal. Proximal phalanx of my ring finger was shattered in an accident caused by another driver. When my attorney learned I had a broken bone requiring surgery, he took the case in a heartbeat.

#80 6 years ago

wow this happened April 2016 and is now just suing. smh

#81 6 years ago

There must witnesses to this event? It sounds like she rolled her ankle and tour some tendons/ligaments? That needed surgery to be repaired?
    Very costly and painful?
    Soft tissue damage takes a long time to heal. I would hold judgement until all the facts are presented in court.
    I was under the impression that the choice of judge or jury was the defendants choice?

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

She could have tried other avenues first. Could have been in the works for a while. These things take longer than you could probably imagine. It was over three years from the date of my accident (mentioned above) to the final letter from my attorney. And a year after that, I was called to testify for my own insurance company trying to recoup funds from the driver and his insurance company.

#83 6 years ago

Interesting suit. Plaintiff claims Replay should have known folks would park in an overflow lot (which Replay apparently might not even own) and should have maintained/illuminated/cordoned off uneven areas of said lot. I would expect Replay's defense would include the simple provision that people park on other lots at their own risk, and the proper course of action would have been for Jill to park elsewhere and use the PAPA shuttles or other transportation to the site. Adequate onsite parking has never been promised by Replay and they do advertise their shuttles as a solution.

No one forced Jill to choose to park in an unlit, third-party lot that night. I would hope this case does not make it to trial, but if it does, I think Replay prevails.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

PA has a two year statute of limitations. She probably was trying to settle out of court but had to file a lawsuit to preserve her claim as it came up on two years.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

...sometimes people have to do some weird things, like suing, in order to initiate insurance claims. In many cases someone has to be found negligent in order for them to pay. My dad recently fell while stepping up on our retaining wall. Knocked out two of his teeth. My insurance company paid $1,000, but after that he had to prove negligence. He could have sued me to try to prove that and while he would have been technically suing me, it would have been my insurance which would have paid.

Why didn't you or your dad take responsibility for his fall instead of your insurance company?

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

yup 09 April 2016 and the suit claims an inability to do hobbies but she has had no trouble playing in more pinball competitions...

One as recent as April 30th 2016, just a few short weeks after this injury???

It gives pause to see such a major injury and still standing on a fracture for long hours of pinball in such a short time frame.

jill j 1 (resized).PNGjill j 1 (resized).PNG

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

She could have tried other avenues first. Could have been in the works for a while. These things take longer than you could probably imagine. It was over three years from the date of my accident (mentioned above) to the final letter from my attorney. And a year after that, I was called to testify for my own insurance company trying to recoup funds from the driver and his insurance company.

Statute of limitations, most likely.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

yup 09 April 2016 and the suit claims an inability to do hobbies but she has had no trouble playing in more pinball competitions...
    It gives pause to see such a major injury and still standing on a fracture for long hours of pinball in such a short time frame.

Maybe she used a balm?

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 4.15.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-16 at 4.15.31 PM (resized).png

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

they do advertise their shuttles as a solution.

Shuttles? I did Uber all weekend...

#90 6 years ago

I get the picture now. Just think if she'd been using the flashlite that came withe her phone instead of seeing how many likes she got in the last hour.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

TEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpgTEXTING+WOMAN+FALLS (resized).jpg

#91 6 years ago

I wonder if this being in the works had any effect on the cancellation of PAPA this year.....

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This is money right here! He got ya!

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Sometimes major injuries seem fine after a few weeks, then complications rear their heads months or years later. But why am I telling you things you already know? You're clearly a doctor.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Sometimes major injuries seem fine after a few weeks, then complications rear their heads months or years later. But why am I telling you things you already know? You're clearly a doctor.

It appears that her pinball playing was not limited for any major duration since the accident occurred. I completely understand that some injuries take a while to really manifest, but in this case it her pinball competitions show lots of strenuous pinball competition activity for most of the past 2 years.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Shuttles? I did Uber all weekend...

Yep... It looks like plaintiff is trying to claim Replay was negligent by holding a large public event with inadequate parking, and looking the other way when folks parked up all the surrounding lots. I do remember in the past seeing at least one warning from PAPA about the neighboring lots not necessarily being safe due to falling debris or other issues.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

PA has a two year statute of limitations. She probably was trying to settle out of court but had to file a lawsuit to preserve her claim as it came up on two years.

Thx guys didn't know any of this.

I did get a laugh when I got the #36.... the part about humiliation.

#97 6 years ago

"According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that she sustained serious physical injuries when she allegedly fell due to a large hole and/or uneven surface in a parking lot."

Well take a fucking look where you are putting your feet, goddammit. Only in America? :O

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Well take a fucking look where you are putting your feet, goddammit. Only in America? :O

And miss an incoming text? You gotta be kidding!!!

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

her pinball competitions show lots of strenuous pinball competition activity for most of the past 2 years

How do you know it was strenuous? Once I tore all the ligaments in my ankle and was able to get around in a rigid walking boot a couple weeks later. Couldn't do much more than a slow hobble, but standing in place to play pinball would have been fine.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

A fracture like this and she isn't standing or walking on it, I suspect she had some sort of mobility device. Perhaps she should be applauded for carrying on with her passion despite the injury?

This isn't a case of a person claiming whiplash when there is no damage to the car, this is a serious injury.

There are 303 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-accused-of-negligence/page/2?hl=herk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.