Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JOESCHALL
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

All,

I will be making my first trip to PAPA in April. I've never been before and was hoping to get some insight from my fellow Pinsiders on what to expect, what to look for, what to do, and what not to do. Along with any other advice and suggestions you may have.

A quick background on myself, I'm new to tournament pinball. I've only played in 2 tournaments and I don't know how serious either one of those tournaments were. I played in the Allentown Pinfest 2016 tournament as my first tournament and then in September I played in the York PA show tournament (finished 3rd out of 30-40 players for what it's worth). Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

#2 7 years ago

3rd place out of 30-40 is a good finish, so really challenge yourself at PAPA. Enter A division and place some side bets against anyone named Bowen, Lyman, Cayle or Daniele.

Seriously though, enter in the lowest division and read up on the scoring/qualifying system.

#3 7 years ago

Your experience is totally up to you. What Division will you be playing in?

What to do: Play pinball. Keep in mind that every day there is a classics tournament, along with other stuff like Split Flipper, so you may want to allow yourself time to do everything.

What not to do: Nudity, excessive drunkenness, violence, stuff like this is discouraged.

#4 7 years ago

Best of luck I wish I could go!

#5 7 years ago

My only advice is this: Go into it with a good, positive attitude, and play just to have a good time. Because, invariably, if you have any luck like I do (none), you'll get your ass handed to you by some 12-year-old girl. You'll also have to deal with some douchebags who take the whole thing FAR too seriously.

Sign up for D division (I think you have to choose a division in advance for PAPA), do your best, and have a great time!

#6 7 years ago

format is totally different this year. Used to be a ticket was 5 games (out of 10 in a bank) and favored consistency of putting a ticket together without any dogs.

Starting this year it is a complete pump and dump where consistency means little.

My suggestion is to enjoy the experience but do not be overly obsessed with the competition. The BEST part about PAPA is that there are really not too many people there and only about 50 of the 400+ games are used for the competition.

I would show up each morning, put in a few games on your D bank while you are fresh. Then go spend the majority of the day playing on the oddball title you wont see elsewhere in the general population. do NOT spend you time playing the A listers which you can find anywhere. Go explore the classics and oddballs that are only found at PAPA. Head back to the D bank in the afetrnoon/evening and put in a few more tickets.

I definately suggest trying the classics tournament the first day to see if you like it. Last time I went the lines were WAY too ling to be fun for me, but that may change with the new main format.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sign up for D division (I think you have to choose a division in advance for PAPA), do your best, and have a great time!

You don't. You can make your decision when you show up. You can also move up in division during the tournament if you decide, but not move back. I'd probably suggest doing the lowest division possible - I did C my first year and won it. I would have done D if I could have, but if you have played virtually ANY IFPA pinball you won't be eligible for D.

#8 7 years ago

also, definately play in D dividion. DO not go up to C just because you like the games better. You are inexperienced and should be in D. You will get more out of it if you play against similar caibur people.

If at some point in the weekend you realize you are not going to make D playoffs, then no harm in shifting to a higher division for shits and giggles. Granted with the pump and dump format you would have to be committed to really make finals.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would have done D if I could have, but if you have played virtually ANY IFPA pinball you won't be eligible for D.

I believe the Allentown and the York show were IFPA tournaments. So does this mean I have to play in C? Not that it matters, just asking for clarification. My goal the first year is to definitely have fun first and foremost!

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't. You can make your decision when you show up. You can also move up in division during the tournament if you decide, but not move back. I'd probably suggest doing the lowest division possible - I did C my first year and won it. I would have done D if I could have, but if you have played virtually ANY IFPA pinball you won't be eligible for D.

Well, okay...point taken. But when I said "in advance" I meant before you actually begin competing. So when you get there and buy some cards.

#11 7 years ago

Absolutely have some advice here: After a full day of qualifying there aren't many good places to eat after midnight. I believe there's a place called "Pizza Milano" a mile up the road from the hotel... excellent pizza at 1am.

6532 Steubenville Pike, Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 494-9494

Open until 1AM

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/5100+Campbells+Run+Rd,+Pittsburgh,+PA+15205/''/@40.4436828,-80.1597147,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x88345922f1219e81:0xce61c6384104d540!2m2!1d-80.1516354!2d40.4389629!1m5!1m1!1s0x883459375bbc4937:0x61c9f6bcef37e11e!2m2!1d-80.1615236!2d40.4496218

(copy/paste that URL into your browser for the map)

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

I believe the Allentown and the York show were IFPA tournaments. So does this mean I have to play in C? Not that it matters, just asking for clarification. My goal the first year is to definitely have fun first and foremost!

Most likely.

D is for absolute beginners and if you have a couple IFPA events under your belt you are probably restricted to C.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Most likely.
    D is for absolute beginners and if you have a couple IFPA events under your belt you are probably restricted to C.

Thanks Levi! Division doesn't matter to me. I'm going this first time for the experience and to play pinball to the best of my ability. Everything else will fall into place if it's meant to be!

#14 7 years ago

Seems a little soon to ask for advice for the tournament 90 years from now

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Seems a little soon to ask for advice for the tournament 90 years from now

My advice in that case is: Live forever

#16 7 years ago

Topic fixed! Haha!

3 weeks later
    #17 7 years ago

Are there any vendors/distributors at PAPA (a la Pinburgh), or it is strictly business (so to speak)?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from VegasMike:

Are there any vendors/distributors at PAPA (a la Pinburgh), or it is strictly business (so to speak)?

It's the business of competitive pinball and not much else. There are many many games to play in the non-competitive areas and awesome video games too.

1 week later
    #19 7 years ago

Couple of quick questions for the masses.

1. Using Division D as an example, pricing is $1 per attempt. To make sure I'm following this correctly, if I play 5 different games, it's going to cost me $5

2. Using Division D again as an example, the current game list for Division D includes Robocop. Will PAPA have 2 Robocops on location, one for practicing on, and then one in the tournament group? If the answer is no, at any time will we be able to practice on Robocop without having to pay for a ticket/entry?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Couple of quick questions for the masses.
    1. Using Division D as an example, pricing is $1 per attempt. To make sure I'm following this correctly, if I play 5 different games, it's going to cost me $5
    2. Using Division D again as an example, the current game list for Division D includes Robocop. Will PAPA have 2 Robocops on location, one for practicing on, and then one in the tournament group? If the answer is no, at any time will we be able to practice on Robocop without having to pay for a ticket/entry?

They have 2 machines of the ones they have 2 machines of.

My recollection is that they only have 1 Robocop, but I could be wrong or that could have changed

If they only have one, there will be no practice on it.

#21 7 years ago

Even if they have 2 of a machine, the one in competition is likely gonna play much tougher.

#22 7 years ago

$1 a play ..

Might as well make it count in case you have an epic "practice" game.

In this format , it doesn't make much sense to practice too much.

Robocop , shoot the spinner and the ramp. Dont die . You're welcome.

#23 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

#24 7 years ago

Not sure what your ranking is, but here are the division restrictions based on the PAPA website:
    http://papa.org/competitions/papa-world-championships/papa-20-world-championships/

Players ranked between 1 and 199 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are restricted to Division A.
    Players ranked between 200 and 599 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are restricted to Division B or higher.
    Only unranked players, or players ranked higher than 7500 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are permitted to compete in Division D.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from coreyhulse:

Not sure what your ranking is, but here are the division restrictions based on the PAPA website:
    http://papa.org/competitions/papa-world-championships/papa-20-world-championships/
    Players ranked between 1 and 199 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are restricted to Division A.
    Players ranked between 200 and 599 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are restricted to Division B or higher.
    Only unranked players, or players ranked higher than 7500 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are permitted to compete in Division D.

Per IFPA site I'm ranked 5536th. Looks like C it is!

1 week later
    #26 7 years ago

Can any speak to parking at PAPA headquarters?

Looking at google maps, PAPA's lot seems quite small. For anyone traveling in, where is the best place to park? I was also thinking of staying at the extended stay hotel and walking in. Can anyone comment if Carnegie is shady if making the walk back at night?

#27 7 years ago

Parking is always an issue at PAPA due to the small parking area. Which is a place all by itself during PAPA!
    Previously there have been shuttles to the hotels(last call at midnight or walk).
    I personally do not think that Carnegie is all that crime ridden, although I never have minded being on most any street at night especially in the Pittsburgh area.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

Can any speak to parking at PAPA headquarters?
    Looking at google maps, PAPA's lot seems quite small. For anyone traveling in, where is the best place to park? I was also thinking of staying at the extended stay hotel and walking in. Can anyone comment if Carnegie is shady if making the walk back at night?

There isn't enough parking, but it's kind of a quiet area. I'd bet you could park a ways down the road (along side the main road) and be fine with a little walking distance. Neighborhood is fairly good and quiet.

2 weeks later
    #29 7 years ago

I can't wait to get better and hopefully compete here someday. I think I want to try to fly into Michigan, then drive down with friends and make it a blast.
    Road trip. I'll get there brothers...

#30 7 years ago

First time going and I know they've changed the rules this year so I'm sure if anyone will know the answer to this but I assume you have to pay the $20 just to walk into the door, is that correct?

I plan on making the trip down with the old lady who has zero interest in playing anything but wouldn't mind checking out the facility before she heads to IKEA. Is this a possibility?

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from atothesquiz:

First time going and I know they've changed the rules this year so I'm sure if anyone will know the answer to this but I assume you have to pay the $20 just to walk into the door, is that correct?
    I plan on making the trip down with the old lady who has zero interest in playing anything but wouldn't mind checking out the facility before she heads to IKEA. Is this a possibility?

Correct on the $20 entry fee.

Ask ninjadoug about the latter, although I'd assume no.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from atothesquiz:

I don't remember paying to get into the building, but maybe they've changed that. If all machines are on free play, that's a possibility. (Previously they were tokens)

#33 7 years ago

Last year was free to enter, this year is pay to enter. Below are the major changes this year:

A door fee of $20 will be required to access PAPA World Headquarters each day. Also, all games inside will now be placed on free-play. Tokens will no longer be used at future PAPA or Replay Foundation Events.

In response to consistent feedback received over the previous several years, the qualifying format of the PAPA World Championships will transition to a Modified Best Game format. This overhaul of the qualifying system, when combined with the transition to a door fee rather than tokens, have caused us to lower the guaranteed prize pool until we can assess the impact of these and other changes.

Divisions A, B, and C will now feature 12 machines that may or may not be drawn from all eras of pinball. Classics divisions will now feature 16 machines each day, rather than 12. All other divisions will feature 8 machines.

Due to reduced demand, no shuttle will be provided for PAPA 20. We have, however, made secured a discount code with Uber for this event. More details will be announced soon.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Due to reduced demand, no shuttle will be provided for PAPA 20. We have, however, made secured a discount code with Uber for this event. More details will be announced soon.

If parking is such a problem, yes I was thinking of doing Uber. I hope they post the discount code soon.

What about restaurants in the area? Any suggestions?

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

If parking is such a problem, yes I was thinking of doing Uber. I hope they post the discount code soon.
    What about restaurants in the area? Any suggestions?

Pizza place. Open until 1AM. Mentioned earlier.

Also there are some cool upscale sports bars across from the hotel in that shopping plaza... if you get there early enough.

The issue is getting out of PAPA early enough to eat something. There are no restaurants very close... all seem to be at least a mile away. (Unless someone has built one in the area in the last couple of years)

#36 7 years ago

First time for me but I thought others mentioned that they have food trucks come each day. Is that accurate? If yes, any good ones?

1 week later
    #37 7 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

First time for me but I thought others mentioned that they have food trucks come each day. Is that accurate? If yes, any good ones?

Bump. In for answers. Please respond.

#38 7 years ago

There's been one food truck the last few years. A few more options would be great for sure.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Bump. In for answers. Please respond.

I recall a small truck that sold a limited menu. Hot dogs, etc.

#40 7 years ago

How about parking? It seems like PAPA's lot would fill very early. Is there metered parking in the town? If so, do they have a limit? Any parking lots with all day parking?

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from deibert:

How about parking? It seems like PAPA's lot would fill very early. Is there metered parking in the town? If so, do they have a limit? Any parking lots with all day parking?

Parking along the streets/roads is free (non metered). Relatively low traffic, decent area in terms of crime. Not heavily populated. It's an old industrial area.

#42 7 years ago

Park where you can find a spot. Not a ton more to say than that. Lot fills up fairly quickly. There's a side street around the drivers right that offers some makeshift parking. Do not park in front of neighboring businesses. As has been said, you can park for free a little ways away. I have personally never looked for parking for more than 5-7 minutes, but I usually arrive early or carpool/uber. There has been a food truck the last few years and there are some snacks/unhealthy things inside in the past. See ya'll soon!

#43 7 years ago

Play earlier in the day to avoid lines. Lines get really long in C--especially on Saturday afternoon and evening. Enjoy!

#44 7 years ago

Hopefully lines will be less this year with queuing added. PnD might negate that, but here's hoping.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Hopefully lines will be less this year with queuing added.

Can you explain what you mean by queuing being added? I hadn't heard about this.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Can you explain what you mean by queuing being added? I hadn't heard about this.

Software that runs on an iPad or your phone where you can add yourself to a line and buy tickets for the machine you want to play.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Software that runs on an iPad or your phone where you can add yourself to a line and buy tickets for the machine you want to play.

Cool--thanks so much. It won't apply to me because I'm still operating on my original dumb flip phone, but this is good news.

#48 7 years ago

Is alcohol allowed anywhere inside the venue? Such as where people are allowed to eat?

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from atothesquiz:

Is alcohol allowed anywhere inside the venue? Such as where people are allowed to eat?

It is not.

#50 7 years ago

Good places to eat are Bob's Diner, about 1/2 mile from PAPA:

http://eatatbobsdiner.com/menu/

Raya's Pizzeria (I believe they deliver), about 1 mile from PAPA:

https://www.allmenus.com/pa/carnegie/34280-rayas-pizzeria/menu/

and the Irish Pub Riley's Pour House, about 1 mile from PAPA

http://www.rileyspourhouse.com/

There are more places in Green Tree (about 3 miles away).

There is usually a caterer on-site at meal times, with grilled food, but it varies each year.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-2107-first-timer-seeking-advice?hl=coreyhulse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.