Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 days ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DSC00814 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

PAPA is an ok tournament but it's just become the same old pump and dump tournament that every other event around the county holds, without the vendors or a near-bye hotel.
    Pinburgh is a lot more fun. I have quietly hoped for years that the PAPA World Championship just goes away.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

The vast selection of games, the concentration of talent, the location accessible from east coast and midwest, the history and banners hanging from the rafters, it all makes it a special time and I really hope it can be preserved.

Location is great... but still not a compelling reason to travel to pitt for 4 days, two times a year.

History and banners... you do realize that the building is for sale and Kevin Martin (former owner of that property and all it's contents; now owned by Replay Foundation) has almost completely removed himself from the entire PAPA organization, right?

That "former" PAPA building and all the games are great but that entire collection, maintaining the games, and the building itself has been in limbo for at least a few years now. There is no way PAPA WC's generated any funds at all this year and if ReplayFX came close to breaking even this year, I would be shocked.

I realize it's a non-profit but if you are 50K in the hole at the end of the event/year and Kevin isn't going to pay the difference any longer, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's just not going to survive. It was fun while it lasted but I see the ReplayFX event as the future and it is definitely the more family friendly event and caters to the pinball enthusiasts and gamers in general, very well.

If it can't survive, and in turn generate some funds for the other events like Papa World Championships, and maintaining the collection in general, I fear that papa.org is doomed. I mean, I volunteered many times for nothing in return, help organize the donation of machines to PAPA, and I hope more than anything that it continues!

However, I am a realist and not a dreamer. What other entity is going to come forward and support this organization no matter how it's books look?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You've obviously never stayed at the luxurious Extended Stay Carnagie before!

I have not stayed at that location, but I stayed at the Extended Stay close to the Replay FX event the first two years of the event, when I was a vendor at the show. The breakfast was really good. However, the last two years I stayed at the Omni William Penn.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-21-is-it-happening?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.