Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 days ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DSC00814 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Hope to hear more soon on the new venue...after all, all those games have to go *somewhere*.

#52 5 years ago

News after Pinburgh is my hunch as moving them before Pinburgh makes for double the work.

#53 5 years ago

Today's FB post..

"πάντα χωρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει - "Everything changes and nothing stands still." - Heraclitus

A full fifteen years ago this month, we first stepped into what became the PAPA World Headquarters, where PAPA 7 was held just a few days before the massive Carnegie flood. We rebuilt, and held some of the greatest pinball tournaments in history in this facility. Good times, good friends, good competitions.

Sadly, we have outgrown the facility, and must now say farewell to the beloved PAPA World Headquarters. It holds many wonderful memories for so many people, and tears have been shed. We are moving our entire operation to a non-public location. Our focus remains on making Replay FX the greatest arcade event in the world, while keeping other future championship events in mind as well. So far, so good.

Many thanks to our wonderful staff, including Mark Steinman, Elizabeth Cromwell, Doug Polka, Fred Cochran, Dan Hall, Steve Eckert, and Ted Garner.

Many thanks to our wonderful volunteers who helped us move, including Dan Nydick, Mike Horvaluk, Matt Schwab, Lee Klevens, Doug Armitez, Val Testa, Jared Chambers, James Kunz, Jake Kolojejchick, Aiton Goldman, Erin Ward, Rachael Schmitz, Jon Replogle, Evan Bookbinder, and anyone we forgot to mention.

There will be greater and greater events and developments ahead. We love you all! See you at Replay FX, August 1-4, 2019!"

Sounds like no PAPA HQ2 to me... a collection in storage to be used for events

#54 5 years ago

“Non-public location” is a bummer. Here’s to the memories...

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Sounds like no PAPA HQ2 to me... a collection in storage to be used for events

Yes and no.

I wouldn't consider the games 'in storage' as most people think of it. We have full-time technicians that work on and need access to the games year-round. We are setting up a new studio at HQ2 for PAPATv and have many exciting things planned for that as well.

The old facility wasn't really public anymore as we had only held one public event there in the past two years.

#56 5 years ago

Double post.

#57 5 years ago

I'm really bad at the internet this morning.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Yes and no.
    I wouldn't consider the games 'in storage' as most people think of it. We have full-time technicians that work on and need access to the games year-round. We are setting up a new studio at HQ2 for PAPATv and have many exciting things planned for that as well.
    The old facility wasn't really public anymore as we had only held one public event there in the past two years.

It’s still sad to see any future permutation that results in less access to the collection rather than more.

Does the team envision taking batches of games to events more frequently, to support events, etc?

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It’s still sad to see any future permutation that results in less access to the collection rather than more.
    Does the team envision taking batches of games to events more frequently, to support events, etc?

I don't really see there being less access than there was in the past two years.

We've already been increasing the number of events we take machines to and will continue to work with the local leagues as well.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I don't really see there being less access than there was in the past two years.
    We've already been increasing the number of events we take machines to and will continue to work with the local leagues as well.

Yeah but the last two years are a bad measuring stick since the place has been on the block during that time and the story was to not commit it while its future was indeterminate. But during the whole time the group has been mum on what the ambition was for its successor.... or the world championship execution.

We’re left guessing on the driving forces behind the change... was it reducing costs? Was it liability? If it was just outgrowing the place... most solve that by moving up... not just out

Glad to hear the team is still seeking new avenues to leverage the collection.

#61 5 years ago

Anyone who was at PAPA 21 or the last Pinburgh in the old facility (we only had 400 players) knows we had outgrown the facility.

Selling the building had to occur so we could continue to grow.

The Replay Foundation is actually doing more things now with the collection than we ever have. We will continue to run the Stern Pro Circuit Finals as well as Pinburgh. And now that the building has sold, we can start exploring planning out other championship events.

There is a lot of exciting stuff going on behind the scenes right now that we hope we can share with everyone soon.

#62 5 years ago

Thats great to hear Doug. I know while the building was up for sale there is not a lot going and not much to let us know about.
    A lot of great memories about the old building . Just hope the new place will have better parking.
    Looking forward to going back to a PAPA event.
    Thanks.

#63 5 years ago

ok, I am confused.

Are there plans to find a permanent space where the entire collection will be housed (legs on and ready for play)?
    Are there plans to host PAPA again in 2019?

I ask as I am sure pinburgh tickets will sell out almost immediately and many of us will not make it in time based on demand being much more than supply. Always nice for those of us that need to plan vacation months in advance to know if PAPA will be returning this year? Also, i really want to do PAPA again

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Also, i really want to do PAPA again

Just missed your chance at INDISC! From what I can tell, it's the closest thing to the old PAPA, even more than PAPA itself once they ditched the ticket entry format.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

ok, I am confused.
    Are there plans to find a permanent space where the entire collection will be housed (legs on and ready for play)?
    I ask as I am sure pinburgh tickets will sell out almost immediately and many of us will not make it in time based on demand being much more than supply. Always nice for those of us that need to plan vacation months in advance to know if PAPA will be returning this year? Also, i really want to do PAPA again

I am confused too. I always wanted to attend PAPA, but had not yet.

#66 5 years ago

I really wanted to do PAPA and never pulled the trigger. I hope they come back and bring the old ticket format back too!

#67 5 years ago

I have to wonder how long the free-for-all ticketing process for Pinburgh can last. I clicked like crazy and got a ticket last year, but at some point lots of top players will presumably miss out on tickets. Demand will only continue to grow with PAPA in limbo. Personally I'd like to see a blended system where top seeds are granted invites and some number of "wildcard" slots are awarded randomly or based on other factors such as past Pinburgh performance.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I have to wonder how long the free-for-all ticketing process for Pinburgh can last. I clicked like crazy and got a ticket last year, but at some point lots of top players will presumably miss out on tickets. Demand will only continue to grow with PAPA in limbo. Personally I'd like to see a blended system where top seeds are granted invites and some number of "wildcard" slots are awarded randomly or based on other factors such as past Pinburgh performance.

They've confirmed several times before that everyone should have an equal chance to participate. No gatekeeping.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

No gatekeeping.

I agree in principle, but it kinda sucks when top players whose ranking depends on putting up big numbers in the majors every year can have a huge hole in their results because my browser was half a second faster.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I agree in principle, but it kinda sucks when top players whose ranking depends on putting up big numbers in the majors every year can have a huge hole in their results because my browser was half a second faster.

I agree - it's one thing if Pinburgh was purely a fun/exhibition/just for laffs event (which would be fine!), but it puts itself out as a major competitive event on the calendar. That said, last year I'm not aware of any top-tier players not getting in. When that happens it'll be interesting.

Regardless of gatekeeping, it would make more sense to me to collect interest for a period of time and then randomly draw names, so the speed of your internet in that half second, which may be out of your control, wasn't so critical.

#71 5 years ago

More stress trying to get ticket into Pinburgh than playing in it.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

ticket lottery is better for events that have limited slots makes it so there no rush to buy kills ticket bots so that scalping can't really happen.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The machines are actually on legs and playable right now in HQ2.

Once we are settled in to HQ2 we will immediately begin preparations for ReplayFX/Pinburgh 2019. Game testing/prep is scheduled to begin in early February and I have the preliminary banks drawn up.

If I had to place a bet, I wouldn't think we would be able to pull off PAPA 21 in 2019 mostly because this move has put us behind already for FX prep.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Regardless of gatekeeping, it would make more sense to me to collect interest for a period of time and then randomly draw names, so the speed of your internet in that half second, which may be out of your control, wasn't so critical.

Our primary focus for Pinburgh is to continue sourcing games, techs and TDs so we can grow the event to allow more people in. We would prefer not to exclude anyone who wants to play, regardless of their pinball status or ranking.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

ticket lottery is better for events that have limited slots makes it so there no rush to buy kills ticket bots so that scalping can't really happen.

Pinburgh tickets are non-transferrable so scalping hasn't been an issue that I've seen.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Pinburgh tickets are non-transferrable so scalping hasn't been an issue that I've seen.

well it does fix the issue where someone says they may not be able to be on line at the time and have some one buy for them just to get happen to have time and end up with 2 under the same name.

Even without scalping ticket lottery can fix the buy rush / have to enter info with an count down clock getting in your way.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

The machines are actually on legs and playable right now in HQ2.
    Once we are settled in to HQ2 we will immediately begin preparations for ReplayFX/Pinburgh 2019. Game testing/prep is scheduled to begin in early February and I have the preliminary banks drawn up.
    If I had to place a bet, I wouldn't think we would be able to pull off PAPA 21 in 2019 mostly because this move has put us behind already for FX prep.

Thx for the confirmation. I guess fingers crossed for 2020!

Congrats on the sale and looking forward to what comes.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I wouldn't think we would be able to pull off PAPA 21 in 2019

Postpone it 'til 2021 and get those numbers matched up.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Our primary focus for Pinburgh is to continue sourcing games, techs and TDs so we can grow the event to allow more people in.

I would be curious (as I’m sure you are) what amount of tickets need to be offered so that it isn’t an instant sell out and everyone who wants to get in can (say 24 hour sale window).

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I would be curious (as I’m sure you are) what amount of tickets need to be offered so that it isn’t an instant sell out and everyone who wants to get in can (say 24 hour sale window).

I think that needs an buying system change vs more slots.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

The wait list on day one last year was what, 400 people or so? So in the neighborhood of 1300 people with the 840 that were in last year? But it gets more popular every year, so it's probably even higher.

#82 5 years ago

Sounds like a bunch of the bigger local/circuit type tournaments need to go to match play instead of pump and dump and maybe that will lower the demand for Pinburgh slots?

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Sounds like a bunch of the bigger local/circuit type tournaments need to go to match play instead of pump and dump and maybe that will lower the demand for Pinburgh slots?

Not sure what that even means. More tiny match play tournaments at Joe's Rib Room are gonna lessen demand for pinburgh?

I don't think it works that way. People want to go to Pinburgh because it's pinburgh.

1 year later
    #84 3 years ago

I just thought I would bump this to see if it’s completely dead now. Obviously this conversation took place before the pandemic and the cancellation of all pinball everywhere, etc. But if/when we get past this there may be some big demand for competitive pinball in 2021.

Also, PAPA 21 would be in 2021, which just makes sense.

#85 3 years ago

The official Replay FX 2020 cancellation announcement at https://replayfx.org/coronavirus/ included preliminary information about PAPA World Championships returning in 2021:

"In other news, we are thrilled to announce the return of the PAPA World Championships, which have not been held since 2017! The crowning of a new World Pinball Champion will take place in the Spring of 2021 in a location in or near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Watch for further details very soon."

Not sure about the current situation though. Haven't heard any more recent news about this.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from marble:

The official Replay FX 2020 cancellation announcement at https://replayfx.org/coronavirus/ included preliminary information about PAPA World Championships returning in 2021:
    "In other news, we are thrilled to announce the return of the PAPA World Championships, which have not been held since 2017! The crowning of a new World Pinball Champion will take place in the Spring of 2021 in a location in or near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Watch for further details very soon."
    Not sure about the current situation though. Haven't heard any more recent news about this.

We will have further details available when it is appropriate.

2 months later
    #87 3 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We will have further details available when it is appropriate.

Has this changed with the announcement of the Replay Foundation transitioning to an online-only resource and selling off the machines? I still believe there is a place for a PAPA championship going forward even if it relies on a collection owned and maintained by third parties.

3 years later
    #88 43 days ago

Looks like it's happening after all this time.

#89 43 days ago

Great news! Pragmatist in me wishes they would skip to PAPA 24 to match the year.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-21-is-it-happening/page/2?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.