View topic image gallery

Pinball_Magazine_Robert_Gagno_special_(cover)_(resized).png
Flu_map_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160408_123415429_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
PAPA_(resized).jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

ha ha thanks guys - had a blast at my first PAPA - tough format for sure but any time you can get to the PAPA facility you should go!

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My first PAPA this year, I have to play in A. I'm realistic about my skills, I'm ok but not in the league of most of these top guys in A.
When you see great players like Lyman at 57, and Trent at 33, you know you ain't gonna make the grade.
I'll have one good game then the next one is a stinker .. You need to be really consistent to do well at this format, and I'm not. To give you the concept of what it's like (if you haven't done PAPA) go to an arcade or your buddies house (not your house!), play 5 different games in a row and get GC on every game. Pretty hard to do.
Some of these guys were pumping in the entries. Josh was telling me last year someone pumped in 60+ entries to A and still didn't make it.
Personally, I only played about 5 or 6 ... Two on Thursday, then I got the flu so I didn't play much after that (it was -5c when we left last night) Had another two entries yesterday but it wasn't happening. No point throwing $100s of bucks at it when it will never happen. Had a good game on Dirty Harry circa 580m, bad game on Avengers which I usually play well on, then 3 SDTS on Party Zone .. Void! All between coughing fits.
Highlights of the weekend were Danni (my 13 year old daughter) finishing 7th in Womans, and 2nd, 3rd and 2nd in Juniors. I got 9th in Split Flipper, just missing the playoffs by one place, and 41st in Classics 1 (nearly 180 competitors!)
Downlight was getting the flu. Not that it realistically made much difference.
rd

Thanks for the updates, good job to Danni, and most importantly, feel better soon!

I have never been to PAPA (but understand the format). However, given the volume of players, I don't have a feel for things like lines and gameplay times at the PAPA event other than what I see looking at entries online and pictures of people waiting.

With 115 players in A division, realistically, how many full entries could a person in A division possibly play? You said you played 5 or 6 entries (I assume the full 5 games on each?) I see the statistic for all *submitted* entries for each competitor, but I suspect there had to have been some voids. The neverdrains software for Herb events shows how many total games were played and voided. Seems like some of the top qualifiers like Keith and Bowen only play 1 or 2 entries and it holds all weekend (incredible!), whereas some are constantly moving up and down.

I guess I am questioning could someone actually play 60 entries? I can't even understand how one divides their time up between all the events-3 classics and the main? For a player like Bowen to be in the top spots in all 4 events is truly amazing.

I'll have to go eventually just to say I did it

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

You said you played 5 or 6 entries (I assume the full 5 games on each?)

No, I only did two complete entries I think. Maybe 3. But I wasn't lined up all day like some people, I was with Danni half the day and we left after she was finished around 9. Most people stay and play till midnight every day.

I guess I am questioning could someone actually play 60 entries

A lot of voiding I would think. Several people told me the same thing so it must be right. I think the number quoted was 62.

rd

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from genex:

ha ha thanks guys - had a blast at my first PAPA - tough format for sure but any time you can get to the PAPA facility you should go!

thanks for the photos.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No, I only did two complete entries I think. Maybe 3. But I wasn't lined up all day like some people, I was with Danni half the day and we left after she was finished around 9. Most people stay and play till midnight every day.

A lot of voiding I would think. Several people told me the same thing so it must be right. I think the number quoted was 62.
rd

Ok. I assume voiding before all games played? I would think that once it is determined mathematically that an entry would not qualify, it would make sense to just void it and start over. So maybe a person bought 60 entries, and figured out that even 1 or 2 more perfect 100s would not help, so call it a void.

#106 8 years ago

Hey Jeff, the first time I went back in 2009, I played almost non-stop for 2 1/2 days. Only took breaks for food and didn't play any classics at all. I never voided an entry in progress. Played I believe 23 entries in B div to the tune of about $350 just to qualify mid-pack.

I've gotten a little better since then.

#107 8 years ago

Thanks for the updates, good job to Danni, and most importantly, feel better soon!
I have never been to PAPA (but understand the format). However, given the volume of players, I don't have a feel for things like lines and gameplay times at the PAPA event other than what I see looking at entries online and pictures of people waiting.
With 115 players in A division, realistically, how many full entries could a person in A division possibly play? You said you played 5 or 6 entries (I assume the full 5 games on each?) I see the statistic for all *submitted* entries for each competitor, but I suspect there had to have been some voids. The neverdrains software for Herb events shows how many total games were played and voided. Seems like some of the top qualifiers like Keith and Bowen only play 1 or 2 entries and it holds all weekend (incredible!), whereas some are constantly moving up and down.
I guess I am questioning could someone actually play 60 entries? I can't even understand how one divides their time up between all the events-3 classics and the main? For a player like Bowen to be in the top spots in all 4 events is truly amazing.
I'll have to go eventually just to say I did it

PAPA 19 Will go down as the most crowded PAPA ever (until next year). Long lines for A and Classics were the norm, even first thing in the morning (Classics). Having the circuit the day before helped bring everyone into town.

Personally , i like to be able to play my entry one game after another, without too much wait. For A, it was a little better , but in Classics it was near impossible without just choosing "shortest line". Had much more fun playing the non-tournament games, due to sucking in the other stuff.

#108 8 years ago

Congratulations to Robert on his victory!
Tommy Skinner wrote an article on the PAPA19 finals, which is now available as a free downloadable 12-page Pinball Magazine PDF: http://www.pinball-magazine.com.

Pinball_Magazine_Robert_Gagno_special_(cover)_(resized).pngPinball_Magazine_Robert_Gagno_special_(cover)_(resized).png

#109 8 years ago

Baywatch flippers were way to weak. couldn't hit a ramp shot in practice, that's why no one chose it.
no one chose genesis bcuz the thing was set up super ultra hard and the pops would throw balls out the side with no way to save and the tilt was to tight to compensate. the slings were ultra sensitive as well.
those things are game changers.

Quoted from Edenecho:

Very exciting finals!
Only a shame noone had the balls to pick Baywatch, would be cool to see it in a finals and see how it played. It must have played better than WH2O.

#110 8 years ago

im with you ed on the classic waits. i like to play my games quickly after another. that's why i only played a couple times in classics 1 and did not play classics 2 or 3. i cant stand waiting. 45 minutes between games at some points on classics 1 when i played.
I'm impatient and it ruins my flow. they need 4 score keepers and more games in classics, not 2 score keepers. 2 is not enough and i hope its addressed. the 2 score keepers at a time do a fantastic job, but its to much on them. its like a packed restaurant having 2 waitresses. they can only do so much.
papa attendance has outgrown the facility just as pinburgh has (which is super for pinball). The parking is ridiculous. even at 11am on a thursday its already overfilled. i had to park 5 blocks away on friday and way to many people got tickets for parking in the street.
we all need chip in and help get another location. a larger facility, with way way more parking.
Kickstarter anyone?

Quoted from ezeltmann:

PAPA 19 Will go down as the most crowded PAPA ever (until next year). Long lines for A and Classics were the norm, even first thing in the morning (Classics). Having the circuit the day before helped bring everyone into town.
Personally , i like to be able to play my entry one game after another, without too much wait. For A, it was a little better , but in Classics it was near impossible without just choosing "shortest line". Had much more fun playing the non-tournament games, due to sucking in the other stuff.

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

I'm impatient and it ruins my flow. they need 4 score keepers and more games in classics, not 2 score keepers. 2 is not enough and i hope its addressed. the 2 score keepers at a time do a fantastic job, but its to much on them. its like a packed restaurant having 2 waitresses. they can only do so much.

FYI there are 3 scorekeepers for Classics, not 2. Each scorekeeper works 4 machines. I agree that the lines would be made shorter by having more machines, but I don't think a fourth Classics scorekeeper will help much.

And -- huge, huge thanks to them and anyone who volunteers to do that job. It's difficult and generally thankless.

#112 8 years ago

2 scorekeepers at a time in classics 1 when i played. its too much to handle for 2 or even 3 people. herb style is different because score keepers only need to punch in your score if its higher. with papa format, they have to do it every time. Then, if there is a machine error, lagging data entry system, or any issue, they have to deal with that, press the button for trouble lite and other distractions they have pulling them from score keeping. As i stated, they all do a fantastic job, its not pointing any fingers at them and we all appreciate all of them and all PAPA staff, it's simply that there needs be more help, they cant do it all. Perhaps let more people qualify so everyone isn't playing so much to try to make top 24 (over 170 players and only 24 qualify). Adding 2 or more machines to the bank would also help. Same when there are lines 20 + people deep at the front counter with customers needing different things. A dedicated area or line just for entries would be great. Maybe could sell entries at each division's location itself such as a runner at a sports game or concert event that takes order for food and drinks? Could have a POS station (or simply an ipad) set up at each division or let players buy more than 2 entrees at a time at the front?. Papa patrons have grown largely over the years, not only the tourney players, but people who just show up to play the other games. Who knows, maybe im thinking to big, just thoughts. it was crazy packed this papa from the second the doors opened Thursday.
some numbers from papa 18 (2015) to papa 19 (2016):

Papa 18:
A- 92 players
B- 85"
C- 122"
D- 72 "
classics 1- 135 "
classics 2- 165 "
classics 3- 180 "

Papa 19:
A- 120 players
B- 94"
C- 159"
D- 73"
Classics 1- 177"
Classics 2- 179"
Classics 3- 191"

#113 8 years ago

I LOVE that we're having problems with the GROWTH of pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

12,500 (OBO)
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-19-world-pinball-championships/page/3?hl=golfkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.