Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Snailman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What Division Will You Play at PAPA 18 ?”

• A 11 votes
      24%
    • B 12 votes
      27%
    • C 14 votes
      31%
    • D 8 votes
      18%

(45 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

PAPA 18 games were just announced on PAPA TV!
    I sure can't wait to play these awesome B games...

A Division:

Mustang
    CSI
    Medusa
    TSPP
    Space Station
    Cactus Canyon
    The Walking Dead
    Black Rose
    Lost In Space
    Orbitor 1

B Division:

LOTR
    Fish Tales
    The Rolling Stones (Stern)
    Radical!
    Time Machine
    Revenge From Mars
    Batman (Stern)
    Quicksilver
    WOZ
    Mousin Around

C Division:

Centaur
    TOTAN
    Godzilla
    Taxi
    Surf n Safari
    Metallica
    XMEN LE
    NBA Fastbreak
    Shadow

D Division:

Monopoly
    Flash Gordon
    Future Spa
    TAF
    WCS 94
    Indiana Jones (Stern)
    Pinbot

#2 9 years ago

Hmmmmm..... Orbitor 1, an interesting choice.

#3 9 years ago

no way on the Orbitor 1, lol!

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

no way on the Orbitor 1, lol!

I wouldn't put it passed Doug

Although I'm surprised we haven't seen the 10 Target Pool bank yet...

#5 9 years ago

Orbitor 1??!!??? haahhaha hahahhahaha hahahahahaha (choke) hahahahahaha

#6 9 years ago

Four top players on Simpsons Pinball Party is going to be a four hour affair!

... oh wait, the game will be PAPA-ized!

#7 9 years ago

b c and d look good, A (meh)

#8 9 years ago

Can't wait to see the Orbitor 1 footage!

#9 9 years ago

Well, I was deciding between A/B based on the game banks. Looks like I'll go with B.

A div games - I feel confident on 3 of those, and not strong enough to put together a run.

B div games - I feel strong on 4 of those and decent on 2 others.

A qualifying is going to be interesting to watch. I played that TSPP in Pinburgh last year and the games were VERY short for everyone.

#10 9 years ago

Did I just see Orbitor 1 in A division? Tell me I did not just see that!

#11 9 years ago

No EMs in any division? What a waste of butt wipe.

#12 9 years ago

Man, I wish I could compete, but school...

Maybe I could come up after the bowling tournament to see the finals...in person

#13 9 years ago

Guess I'll stick to the classic banks as the A-B banks do nothing for me. If I was still "C" eligible I'd tear that bank up.

A Bank 1 game I feel good on.
    B Bank PASS totally.
    C Bank Many combinations of 8 games I'd use in every run without a blink. Dream Bank for sure.
    D Bank 3 games very confident on, the rest are toss ups.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

If I was still "C" eligible I'd tear that bank up.

If I entered B before (didn;t make cut) I'm I eligible to go back to C?

Last year B had almost everything I like and that didn't help much

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If I entered B before (didn;t make cut) I'm I eligible to go back to C?

Last year B had almost everything I like and that didn't help much

You may actually be eligible for "C" since you play in non-WPPR tourneys. I'd be surprised if you weren't actually.

Papa games are setup way different than on location and have to put up a good run of game scores at the same time. Way more competitors too.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

You may actually be eligible for "C" since you play in non-WPPR tourneys. I'd be surprised if you weren't actually.

No IFPA Ranking cut off or anything?

#17 9 years ago

Why no classics 1 2 and 3 released?

#18 9 years ago

Classics I (Thursday)

Alien Poker
    Argosy
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Frontier
    Mystic
    Fireball
    Galaxy
    Embryon
    Monaco
    Freedom
    Target Alpha
    Target Pool

Classics II (Friday)

Jumping Jack
    Magic
    Poker Plus
    Nine Ball
    Dracula (Stern)
    Ro Go
    Grand Prix (EM)
    High Deal
    Alien Star

Classics III (Saturday)

Anyone know?

#19 9 years ago

Rob:

Players ranked between 100 and 399 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are restricted to Division B or higher. You are around 375 so you may slide down enough by end of month to be "C" eligible yet.

#20 9 years ago

WPPR restrictions:

A - 1-99
    B - 100-399
    C - 400-1499
    D - 1500+

#21 9 years ago

If I weren't in pin buying mode, I'd be there and playing in D. Currently just over 1900th, but only started last year. With 1500 being ~35 points, I only have 10 points before I have to move to C. I wonder how close the finalists in D are going to all be to 1500.

#22 9 years ago

Ahhh...got it thanks.

#23 9 years ago

also if papa staff sees someone in a lower division they feel should play higher, they will make that happen, regardless of ifpa rank (so the rules say).

#24 9 years ago

also if papa staff sees someone in a lower division they feel should play higher, they will make that happen, regardless of ifpa rank (so the rules say).

I wonder how many times that has actually been done?

1 week later
    #25 9 years ago

The division restrictions have been changed

A - 1-199
    B - 200-599
    C - 600-7499
    D - 7500+

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

A - 1-199
    B - 200-599
    C - 600-7499
    D - 7500+

Per Papa 18's Page.
    "We have finished an analysis of the multiple divisions and have adjusted restrictions to reduce lines and better represent each division’s appropriate skill level. We have also added two games, for a total of 8, to the Division D / Jr / Sr bank of games."

Great changes as A-B classes needed to be expanded and more games for D/Jr/Sr.

#27 9 years ago

Thanks!!!

#28 9 years ago

Anyone have a list of pre papa tournaments?
    Anything Tuesday Night, March 10?

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Anyone have a list of pre papa tournaments?
    Anything Tuesday Night, March 10?

Check the ifpa calendar for details, but there is a wppr prepapa tourney Tuesday.
    Just change your location to Pittsburgh for tourneys within X miles.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

A - 1-199
    B - 200-599
    C - 600-7499
    D - 7500+

WOW, that is a big shift. I think it will be a great move!
    I unfortunately can't attend this year due the change in time of year, but hope to make it back again sometime. PAPA is definately the highlight of my pinball experiences thus far (VFW may give it a good run for the money?).

#32 9 years ago

I recall that A div restriction used to be 100. What was the former B div restriction?

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I recall that A div restriction used to be 100. What was the former B div restriction?

last year it was 100-399 I think.

I am really happy to see they are not afraid to adjust each year based on the data! I can imagine some people will not be happy with this last minute adjustment, esp after making travel plans.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

last year it was 100-399 I think.
    I am really happy to see they are not afraid to adjust each year based on the data! I can imagine some people will not be happy with this last minute adjustment, esp after making travel plans.

I agree, on both accounts.

It was interesting to discover that since 2004, only two times has someone ranked outside of 200 won the PAPA B division.

And for C division, other than its first year of existence (2010), each year's C winner has been right around the 600 mark.

#35 9 years ago

Thanks for the info on the pre-papa events.

As for the last minute eligibility shift, I feel it is in poor form to make this move a week prior to the tournament, once commitments and plans are already set.

My main issue is the poor Canadian dollar, and realizing I will be paying close to $30 an entry in A.
    Had I know prior, I could have budgeted and saved proper funds for the event.
    At this point, I am basically stuck in a lurch and have even contemplated skipping the event.

Not to mention the ladies in our lives who are beginners and will not be allowed to compete in D.
    The shift from 1500 WPPR cutoff to 7500 is huge for D division.
    Let's face it, by being dragged to a few events and earning a couple WPPRs over a year, it is a given they will not be eligible for D under the last minute changes.

My lady friend loves pinball and was extremely excited to play her first PAPA in the division she belongs.
    She is still an extreme beginner with very little experience, and has literally no chance of qualifying in C.

Again, with the eligibility being posted for months in advance, plans and commitments were made.
    I understand the reasoning behind the division shift and am fine with that, however, changing the terms a week before the event is not cool or fair at all.

#36 9 years ago

Again, with the eligibility being posted for months in advance, plans and commitments were made.
    I understand the reasoning behind the division shift and am fine with that, however, changing the terms a week before the event is not cool or fair at all.

I can't agree with this enough, well put.

#37 9 years ago

, however, changing the terms a week before the event is not cool or fair at all.

I would agree that it is pretty poor form to make this change with such little notice after many people have paid large sums of money and made vacation plans around the event.

The change for D is the most impactful from what I can see.

C makes more sense from my POV to be 600-2499
    and then D as 2499+

From what I have seen most people 2500+ are still VERY new into competitive pinball and still just starting out with filling a competitive resume.

#38 9 years ago

To the OP, you may want to start a new poll. I answered D, but now have to play in C!

#39 9 years ago

Updated A Division bank:

Mustang
    CSI
    Monster Bash
    TSPP
    Space Station
    Cactus Canyon
    The Walking Dead
    Black Rose
    World Poker Tour
    Creature from the Black Lagoon

#40 9 years ago

While I agree the timing is poor, the rating change seems right on. This should take the sandbaggers out of B and C. Just because one doesn't qualify in any given year, doesn't mean that they played in too high a division...

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Updated A Division bank:
    Mustang
    CSI
    Monster Bash
    TSPP
    Space Station
    Cactus Canyon
    The Walking Dead
    Black Rose
    World Poker Tour
    Creature from the Black Lagoon

Are the games lists on the PAPA website at all? I see them in this thread (thanks!) but where are they on the site? Are other divisions getting updated?

#43 9 years ago

Question about supply of pins not used in competition. I usually attend PAPA to play the available pins because I can't stay for the entire competition, even if I was good enough to qualify. This year many early Bally and Sterns are being used. Does the facility have multiple copies of pins like Centaur, Quicksilver, Flash Gordon and other early SS?

#44 9 years ago

We have duplicates of some titles (Centaur being one of them)

We only have one Quicksilver and Flash Gordon.

But, there are over 400 games not used in the tournament available for token drop play.

#45 9 years ago

Doug, someone was asking in another thread if your AMH was still at the facility. I would also like to know because I haven't played it yet!

#46 9 years ago

Unfortunately, it is not currently at the PAPA facility. It is available for play at the Pre-PAPA tournament going on today.

#47 9 years ago

Is there a page somewhere that explains what the tournament is, how it works, who can enter, how long it takes and all that stuff? I'm completely new to this and was just going to play the machines that were open. But the tournament thing might be neat, even though I suck.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Is there a page somewhere that explains what the tournament is, how it works, who can enter, how long it takes and all that stuff? I'm completely new to this and was just going to play the machines that were open. But the tournament thing might be neat, even though I suck.

http://papa.org/papa-tournaments/papa-world-championships/papa-18-world-championships/

#49 9 years ago

Just found it. Thanks Robotoes.

I might give Division D a whirl just for something to do. The only thing is that I've never played any of the games on the D list except for one or two games on TAF, so I wouldn't know where to start. Probably just a waste of money to even try and get in.

#50 9 years ago

I always recommend that first time visitors just enjoy the hundreds of games set up for token play and not worry about entering the tournament. I went to PAPA twice just to play casual games before entering the tournament at all. It's an amazing collection and you can't even come close to playing everything in a single weekend. Have fun and consider competing when you have some more experience under your belt!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.