(Topic ID: 100579)

PAPA 17 >> what a blast

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0734a49.jpg
    Quadruple.png
    image.jpg
    papa.jpg
    IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    image-372.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

Had an amazing time at PAPA - my hats off to all who make this happen.

Watching the A finals was especially cool and unique - how often are you in a large crowd watching competitive pinball, cheering every multiball activation, oohing and aahing at every wild save?

I had a couple of thoughts on how to make watching A finals even more awesome and like other big spectator sport events:

1) A big screen dedicated to the match scores, with the current player highlighted; and another big screen dedicated to just the DMD of the current game (so we can all see the game scores). This would really help give the play more context and drama. I realize the DMD was visible on part of one screen on one side of the bank, but you couldn't really make out the scores unless you were right next to it. I also realize we could look up match scores on our phones. But I think making these details more up-front would really add to the spectator experience.

2) Maybe even a PA announcement of each player on their turn (they could pick their walk-up music like in baseball...probably too cheesy? )

3) The audio of the current game piped into speakers and audible to the crowd.

Thoughts on the feasibility/advisability of these?

#45 9 years ago

mhs, is there an email for PAPA I can use? I tried to paste my post on the A Division spectator experience into the contact form but it doesn't nearly fit. Thanks-

#88 9 years ago

Stern just posted a pic of the C winner, Jack Benson, who I didn't realize was a new Stern programmer (worked on Mustang). Really cool to have at least three programmers in the house for PAPA (Keith, Lyman, Jack).

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

>2) Maybe even a PA announcement of each player on their turn (they could pick their walk-up music like in baseball...probably too cheesy? )
    This is a great idea but probably only for the final final round because other games are happening at the same time

Yeah, all of my suggestions pretty much applied to the final, final round of A finals - to be held once all other division play had ended, to allow for PA announcements, crowd-audible game sounds, etc. Plus, then all the players competing in the finals of other divisions could watch the wizards in A.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

My friend that I went to PAPA 17 with had also never been to PAPA. He owns a few games and has played in a few local tournaments, probably less than 10, and is in a league for the first time this year. He finished in the top 20. I think other than a few slight tweeks, they had it pretty spot on, from a new players perspective.

That describes me pretty much exactly - same experience. I think the need to cater to the absolute beginner is being overstated. C as it is now is challenging enough to give the top finishers a sense of accomplishment while still giving talented newbies a shot to qualify for finals.

#252 9 years ago

I think tweaking the ranking cutoffs and place cutoffs would be preferable to a D division (say, you must play B or higher if you are IFPA 600 or lower/were in the top 8 of C in the last 3 years) if the goal is to even out among A/B/C and get the better players in C to move up.

Yes, there could be someone who walks on in C never having played PAPA or in many other IFPA events and tears it up in a way befitting a B or A player. They would be forced to move up the following year if they did. I don't know how you prevent this unless you're pre-screening new people prior to qualifying (picturing PAPA crew sizing up a stranger).

#296 9 years ago

Here's a deal for the PAPA 17 player to snap up, for the memories...
    philadelphia.craigslist.org link

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-what-a-blast?tu=westofrome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.