(Topic ID: 100579)

PAPA 17 >> what a blast

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0734a49.jpg
    Quadruple.png
    image.jpg
    papa.jpg
    IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    image-372.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 9 years ago

I followed the C division as I had a friend playing. I think they need to push a lot of the "c" players into B division or stop defining it as being "designed for players who are still new to competitive pinball. Players with below average league or tournament experience, or anyone who does not fit within the official descriptions of Division A or Division B caliber players, should compete here."

There were a ton of guys with 20-40+ tournaments under their belt. How is that new to anything? I know that A B are restricted to the top 400 but anyone "new to competitive pinball" should be warned that they are playing with mostly seasoned, albeit not the best, players in C. I'll stick to Pinburgh where people's actual skill level seats them opposed to where they feel comfortable playing.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

SIDE TOURNAMENT FOR PAPA 18!!!
    Anything on a monitor! One game on each of the A bank games on a monitor top ticket wins!
    I was walking by the A bank and I saw Mark playing Quicksilver while watching a monitor in A bank. So after A finals and after the lights were down inside PAPA, I got a chance to play Alien Star while looking at the monitor. Everyone in my group was laughing and cheering every made shot and nudge, it was awesome! I need a monitor setup at home now...

I have a friend that did this and it is very cool. He used bifold door track to make a track for his camera to travel on. During league he can slide it from whatever game people seem to be blowing up.

#109 9 years ago

The only issue with C division, imho, is how PAPA outlines it in the criteria to participate in the division. Just drop the part about players tournament and league experience. I just think it can be disappointing to people that drop the coin to go there thinking they will be playing with inexperienced tournament players just to find out they are playing with mid 400 IFPA ranked players which are certainly experienced. Don't suggest a restriction that is not actually used so people know what the actual skill level is. That is all.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from macbeaner:

Sadly, it's hard for them to police it. But they have a good staff that is willing to listen to suggestions, which is awesome. I told someone on Sunday that if they have an issue with a ruling, wait a couple of days to let the "frustration" settle, then email Mark and explain what the ruling was and why they think it's wrong. It's so hard to plan on every possible thing that could happen.
    And take the time to skim through the rulebook if you get a chance. You learn a lot. I scorekeep at PAPA and when I am a player, I sometimes know what they will probably rule. Plus, our league models it's rules after the PAPA rulebook.

I think the staff at PAPA, and the efforts they make to make it a great experience are top notch. I played at Pinburgh this year and it was great. I just know there was some grumbling about how experienced some C players were and looking at their IFPA stats I can certainly see why the frustration.

#305 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

I have a question/statement issue with the IFPA points awarded to only the A division. I tried to pose this issue to some of the PAPA people I spoke with and I believe some thought I was having a sour grapes issue. (I got caught in the "you can't switch after noon on Saturday" rule) Not knowing the rule was on me and I don't have a problem with it and understand why the rule was implimented (someone did take the time to explain the craziness in the past of people switching at the last minute). I think the problem occurs with the IFPA points being awarded to only the A division because it is an open tournament. B and C don't get points due to the restrictions of competitors that can play in those divisions making them closed tournaments. However, once noon on Saturday rolls around the A division becomes a closed tournament excluding some of the best competitive players. A person who hasn't competed yet could still walk in the door and compete but player #999 who just played in B div can not. Does this not cause an conundrum?
    No I'm not saying points should be taken away from A div players or given to B and C div players from this year. I just thought it was worth a discussion for future reference of both PAPA and IFPA. If I'm way off base here tell me where my flaw in reasoning is. It is just something that made me go "hmmm?" when I realized it.

Just play in the division you should be playing in. If you want A points than play in A. Good god people.

#309 9 years ago

Someone playing in B or C had the chance to play in A at anytime prior to the cutoff.
    Opportunity given.

#314 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I believe the issue is around the restriction against someone that was playing in B versus someone that has not played at all?
    Sounds like the issue is not surrounding the previous opportunity being afforded?
    I actually think it would be a good idea to prevent any moving/starting of ANY division at a predetermined cutoff time. Given the nature of the beast people leaving a division are likely to have a larger impact on the division they are leaving than the one they are moving to. Seems logical to me to solidify that cutoff time for all divisions.

The restriction is so that you don't f up the B or C divisions. Division jumping at the last moment has the potential to create total chaos out of the lower groups.

#325 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

Thanks Collin. It makes perfect sense now. I was just preoccupied with the closing part and not looking at the whole thing. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue that needed to be addressed.

That's constructive and helpful how?

If I helped one person by pointing out the obvious I feel like I did my part.

#326 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

makes sense to me.
    Also makes sense to apply that restriction all divisions for consistency. JMO.

Can you go from A to b or c?

#335 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

Well your statement in general is kind of true and I agree with it for the most part. I just didn't see the relevance to my post at all. When followed by the exclamation at the end of it it seemed as if you were implying that I was "less than smart".
    FWIW I would have no problem with PAPA making it where no one can switch once the decission is made to play a division. It would really make people choose more carefully and eliminate a lot of problems.

my apologies for that.

Quoted from Zaxxis:

Actually, the have been people that have moved down in the past, but I am not sure if any happened in recent years.

I wouldn't let anyone move up or down as it, from my understanding, throws out the scores from the prior group. Seems like that could really screw up strategic game choices by players. Ugh. I'll stick to Pinburgh.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-what-a-blast?tu=taylorva and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.