(Topic ID: 100579)

PAPA 17 >> what a blast

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0734a49.jpg
    Quadruple.png
    image.jpg
    papa.jpg
    IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    image-372.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

The TAF that was in C division was also the one we used for the A finals. I know we did not touch the scoop on TAF from Saturday night into Sunday morning, so perhaps the kickouts you were seeing were from a tired coil?

Don't forget it is a mechanical device and such things will occur from time to time no matter how hard we prepare. After all, 'the ball is wild'.

On that TAF, this must have been the case. On Sunday, I think every kickout was a simply hold up right flipper for a consistent cradle.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

Oh, one other suggestion before I forget: If modifications to game settings or bizarre physical bastardizations are performed, it would be nice if they were listed on a note on the machine. Players weren't told ahead of time about the disabled magnet on TAF or the odd WOZ settings.

I can't echo this one enough. I heard from other players -- who weren't even in the first round -- about the TAF disabled magnet... but not until after my second ball of TAF, one of which that I spent much of Seance waiting for the magnet to turn off before shooting at the ramp. It sure would have been nice to know about the disabled magnet, and it seemed that other players were aware of this -- but it certainly wasn't through a posting on the pin's glass or some announcement made to all players.

#74 9 years ago

Hear, hear! Back to the topic of how great PAPA is. Had a blast.

Thank you, Mark, Doug, and all the MANY MANY volunteers who make PAPA such a wonderful place to play, compete, hang out, and have fun.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from macbeaner:

My thoughts.
    2) "Oh, one other suggestion before I forget: If modifications to game settings or bizarre physical bastardizations are performed, it would be nice if they were listed on a note on the machine. Players weren't told ahead of time about the disabled magnet on TAF or the odd WOZ settings."
    I can't say this enough "EXPECT PAPA to bastardize the games" This is the world championships. I always walk up to the games and look and see what they've done (post removal, rubber removal, eb's turned off, etc). I learned that quickly when I started in 2008. To quote "these games are not set up like the ones in your basement"

Agreed. But for mechanical/physical changes that aren't visible to the eye -- such as disabling the TAF magnet -- they should be clearly posted or announced. It likely wouldn't have changed any outcome for me, as I would have simply been given the chance to brick my ramp shot a few more time.

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We had two charity areas set up this year, one was where the kids bank was but we did have a POTC on free play near the change machine.

Sometimes when we pull games out of tournaments the settings stay the same so around the building you will see games where match is not on or it awards points for an EB from time to time.

Doug, thanks again for all the hard work in making PAPA successful!
    While I didn't have my wife and kids with me there this year, I know from prior years, we definitely liked it when there were 3-4 pins set up on free play with signs that told people "Kids Only," to entice my kids -- and others -- to play some pinball instead of focusing on video games. Especially when those kids free play pins were all together in one spot.

I realize there were charity areas set up with some Free Play available, but it was only one pin, and available to all -- not just kids. So not just kids waiting on each other and their (typically) short game times.

Thus, I'd suggest going back to the "Kids Only" handful of pins on Free Play -- all together in one location. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again!

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess the thing none of us really know is the most important question >> What are the central goals and desires of PAPA?

See papa.org. Under "PAPA's Goal"

#164 9 years ago
    Quoted from macbeaner:

Heck, that's why I scorekeep.

And once again, thank you for doing so. Much appreciated!

#294 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I always felt someone should organize a scavenger hunt... JT, I'm looking at you.

Anastasia would approve.

#307 9 years ago
    Quoted from KingNine:

I have a question/statement issue with the IFPA points awarded to only the A division. I tried to pose this issue to some of the PAPA people I spoke with and I believe some thought I was having a sour grapes issue. (I got caught in the "you can't switch after noon on Saturday" rule) Not knowing the rule was on me and I don't have a problem with it and understand why the rule was implimented (someone did take the time to explain the craziness in the past of people switching at the last minute). I think the problem occurs with the IFPA points being awarded to only the A division because it is an open tournament. B and C don't get points due to the restrictions of competitors that can play in those divisions making them closed tournaments. However, once noon on Saturday rolls around the A division becomes a closed tournament excluding some of the best competitive players. A person who hasn't competed yet could still walk in the door and compete but player #999 who just played in B div can not. Does this not cause an conundrum?
    No I'm not saying points should be taken away from A div players or given to B and C div players from this year. I just thought it was worth a discussion for future reference of both PAPA and IFPA. If I'm way off base here tell me where my flaw in reasoning is. It is just something that made me go "hmmm?" when I realized it.

More importantly than "play in the division you should be playing in," the non-issue here is: each player has a choice to play in the highest division. Every single player that CHOSE to play in B or C had the option to play in A when they CHOSE their division. PAPA is nice enough, and has sophisticated systems that even allow a player to change their mind 2+ days into a 3-day qualifying period to play in a higher division.

Your statement that A becomes a closed tournament excluding some of the best competitive players is a complete fallacy. Each and every hypothetical player #999 that played in B had an equal opportunity/choice to play in the top division.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-what-a-blast?tu=snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.