(Topic ID: 100579)

PAPA 17 >> what a blast

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0734a49.jpg
    Quadruple.png
    image.jpg
    papa.jpg
    IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    image-372.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider appeac.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 9 years ago

Remove/reduce prize pool seems to be easiest/least artificial solution for correcting incentives applicable to the C div.

Quoted from KevinDDR:

I've thought about it long and hard and my opinion really is that if PAPA allows you to play in a certain division, you should not feel bad about playing in it. At the end of the day, all divisions other than A are going to use some arbitrary criteria to draw a line in the sand and consequently the top finishers in each division are the best players who managed to fall under those criteria. Maybe they are underranked, and some people think that they are sandbagging. Who cares? Any restricted division is going to have that situation going on no matter what the restrictions are based on the fact that the pool of players is drawn from certain criteria that are not directly correlated to ability to perform at PAPA or whatever the tournament in question is.

Exactly.

#94 9 years ago

Jesus H. Christ, Papa 25 will have a 60 page rulebook by the time you guys are through with it.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The majority of us actually care and are trying to provide constructive feedback to make PAPA and competitive pinball better. We are not just trying to make up rules for the sake of making rules.
    You may also want to go check out the rule books for pretty much any competitive sport.
    60 pages is not much >>> http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

It's fairly common in modern politics, not your fault for falling into the trap of treating the symptoms, not the problem. It's a simple economic exercise, what incentives are there for a player to choose a certain division?

A - WPPRS, money, trophy
    B - Money, trophy
    C - Money, trophy

It's easy to see what differentiates B and C division - nothing. Remove the money incentive from C division, and only people who know they have no chance at money in the other divisions will play in it.

It's a bit more difficult to predict the A and B split without top-down limitations. The value that a person places on WPPR's varies on how many they already have. I'm inclined to believe that anyone that the restriction already applies to also has a good enough chance at the higher payout in A that they would self-select it.

It's a much easier solution than adding more divisions, meaning more machines out of the free play area, and more volunteers needed for score keeping and maintenance.

Quoted from davewtf:

I think appeac is trying to say things are fine the way they are

Eh, I'm just one to never blame a person for making a rational decision, even if other people don't like it. I always blame the game over the player.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

It's already far larger than 60 pages, and there's several issues that popped up over the weekend we will be addressing shortly. No offense intended... you're 60-page comment just made me chuckle.

At your service.

Thanks for everything you do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider appeac.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-what-a-blast?tu=appeac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.