(Topic ID: 100579)

PAPA 17 >> what a blast

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0734a49.jpg
    Quadruple.png
    image.jpg
    papa.jpg
    IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    image-372.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zaxxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

SIDE TOURNAMENT FOR PAPA 18!!!
    Anything on a monitor! One game on each of the A bank games on a monitor top ticket wins!
    I was walking by the A bank and I saw Mark playing Quicksilver while watching a monitor in A bank. So after A finals and after the lights were down inside PAPA, I got a chance to play Alien Star while looking at the monitor. Everyone in my group was laughing and cheering every made shot and nudge, it was awesome! I need a monitor setup at home now...

I put up 1.1m while using the monitor, which was better than the 3 regular games I played on it

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

That describes me pretty much exactly - same experience. I think the need to cater to the absolute beginner is being overstated. C as it is now is challenging enough to give the top finishers a sense of accomplishment while still giving talented newbies a shot to qualify for finals.

There doesn't need to be a D division. If you are new and want to wet your whistle when it comes to competitive pinball, there is a little tournament called Pinburgh.

I use to be on the bandwagon for a D division and I am sure some will think it's my "A division attitude", but since it's the WORLD PINBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS, I am not sure PAPA needs to spend more energy trying to get "one more new person" to attend PAPA WC when they do plenty to try to attract new players via Pinburgh, PAPA Circuit, ReplayFx, all of the videos, etc, etc.

#167 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

And once again, thank you for doing so. Much appreciated!

We need to clone Virginia so she can just scorekeep in all divisions

#311 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

"A person who hasn't competed yet could still walk in the door and compete but player #999 who just played in B div can not. Does this not cause an conundrum?"
    Is there really a difference in how a person is treated? I do not know the rules for switching at PAPA.
    Ex 1: person arrives on Saturday at 2pm and they are allowed to sign up and play in A?
    Ex 2: person played in C or B on Thursday/Friday and then on Saturday at 2pm they want to sign up for A and are denied?

The person who picked B or C early in the tournament are given plenty of time to change their mind before the cut off. PAPA's rules are published well in advanced.

If that is the case, then I would say that per the letter of the IFPA that is a restricted event and should not award IFPA points. My understanding is that you have to treat all players identically regardless of previous experience.

This "issue" is getting really, really nit-picky, but given that the rules are known well in advance, the issue is only caused by the player that didn't follow the rules and take the opportunity that was given to them.

If the rules stated that you must declare prior to the tournament and you are stuck with that decision, I might agree somewhat, but that isn't the case here.

They should probably just make it a noon cutoff for all divisions and all people in order to be both fair and even across all divisions. Just state that you must play you first game in any division by noon on Saturday for any entries to count.

And what does this accomplish, besides turning people away from competitive pinball?

#332 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If noon does then just move it to 4pm on Saturday.
    I guess the inverse quesiton would be "WHY a noon cutoff time?"

Because noon felt like a good time that would give B and C folks enough time to decide to move up or not as well as enough time for any movers to not seriously impact the standings.

The rule was put into place after PAPA 12, when a bunch of people moved up to A division around 7pm on Saturday. Typically people moving have a small impact, but it were the right people with the right scores and they actually did have an impact to the standings. In fact, I was the #1 qualifier all weekend and ended up in 6th or 7th after "the purge", ultimately bouncing back up until Walker put up a great run very late in the evening.

#333 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can you go from A to b or c?

Actually, the have been people that have moved down in the past, but I am not sure if any happened in recent years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zaxxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-what-a-blast?tu=Zaxxis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.