(Topic ID: 100579)

PAPA 17 >> what a blast

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0734a49.jpg
    Quadruple.png
    image.jpg
    papa.jpg
    IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    image-372.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

BUT AGAIN.... In C, my best ticket had me at 81st when I left for B... My best ticket in B put me in 76th place...
    So what if B Division is easier than C Division??!?!?! .

Hey now.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
    As far as I can tell, in your best B ticket, you scored points in only 1 of 5 games, with a total of 54 points.
    To qualify, you would have needed to quadruple that point total.
    How many points would you have needed to add to your best C ticket to qualify?
    I bet it was a lot less than 150

So no, B is not easier than C.
    However, I would argue that the lack of experience and sheer number of players in C adds difficulty.
    In C division, I imagine very few players were voiding tickets, which leads to higher scores being posted.
    In B and A division, tons of entires are voided from a strategic perspective.
    I don't believe the less experienced players in C are focused on the voiding strategy as much.

Also, defensive play comes into the equation a lot more in B and A.
    With players looking to knock down opponents who are close to or above them in the rankings.

#202 9 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Give me a break dude.
    What are you, the saviour of competitive pinball after your 12 months of experience?
    Maybe you should stick to calling children names....

Whysnow has done a lot to promote pinball in my area. Next month is the 3rd annual Madrollin Pinball tournament which he started. He also has 2 games on route and runs a monthly tournament which has been successful in bringing in new players. He's run other tournaments as well and has helped out with other tournaments such as MGC and Waunabowl tourney. I'd say that's quite a lot, and I applaud him for what he's done in a fairly short amount of time.

#203 9 years ago

Where is all the dilution of the experience from having a D division?

Seems like lots of easy ways to have only a small amount of effort/voulenteer time to create a D division.

Have all C and D division players use the same qualifying bank of games.
    C plays 5 out of 10. $10 per ticket

D plays 4 out of 10. $8 per ticket

Tickets are split out by the software so no C tickets impact D or the inverse. They all play on the same games but are ranked seperately. If someone switches from D to C then all D tickets are voided >> same as moving to B or A.

Top 24 in C make playoffs. Top 24 in D make playoffs. D playoffs are held on the bank of senior/junior games.
    The total cost on time is the added scorekeepers on Sunday for D (If I do not qualify for B or C next year I will scorekeep for the entire day on D playoffs).

I would suggest cash prizes for top 16 in D but they can be relatively small. I would suggest plaques go to top 16 in D and certificates to 17-24. D shuold have restrictions like 1200+ IFPA, fewer than 5 previous IFPA events, and never played at PAPA facility before.

How does this have any negative impact on anyone else? I only see a positive outcome for D players, PAPA, and competitive pinball. Also positive outcomes for C, B, and A players as more $ for the facility and tournament to operate plus gives more space, decreases total count to all other divisions (how many moved from C to B just due to # of people in C?)

#204 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Where is all the dilution of the experience from having a D division?
    Seems like lots of easy ways to have only a small amount of effort/voulenteer time to create a D division.
    Have all C and D division players use the same qualifying bank of games.
    C plays 5 out of 10. $10 per ticket
    D plays 4 out of 10. $15 for 2 tickets.
    Tickets are split out by the software so no C tickets impact D or the inverse. They all play on the same games but are ranked seperately. If someone switches from D to C then all D tickets are voided >> same as moving to B or A.
    Top 24 in C make playoffs. Top 24 in D make playoffs. D playoffs are held on the bank of senior/junior games.
    The total cost on time is the added scorekeepers on Sunday for D (If I do not qualify for B or C next year I will scorekeep for the entire day).
    I would suggest cash prizes for top 16 in D but they can be relatively small. I would suggest plaques go to top 16 in D and certificates to 17-24. D shuold have restrictions like 1200+ IFPA, fewer than 5 previous IFPA events, and never played at PAPA facility before.
    How does this have any negative impact on anyone else? I only see a positive outcome for D players, PAPA, and competitive pinball. Also positive outcomes for C, B, and A players as more $ for the facility and tournament to operate plus gives more space, decreases total count to all other divisions (how many moved from C to B just due to # of people in C?)

Maybe you should just start your own WORLD PINBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS?

#205 9 years ago

Hey now.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
    As far as I can tell, in your best B ticket, you scored points in only 1 of 5 games, with a total of 54 points.
    To qualify, you would have needed to quadruple that point total.
    How many points would you have needed to add to your best C ticket to qualify?
    I bet it was a lot less than 150
    So no, B is not easier than C.
    However, I would argue that the lack of experience and sheer number of players in C adds difficulty.
    In C division, I imagine very few players were voiding tickets, which leads to higher scores being posted.
    In B and A division, tons of entires are voided from a strategic perspective.
    I don't believe the less experienced players in C are focused on the voiding strategy as much.
    Also, defensive play comes into the equation a lot more in B and A.
    With players looking to knock down opponents who are close to or above them in the rankings.

Ah man... salt in the wound... (kidding).

Yes, with all the entrants, and then a top level of great players.... I will call it. C was harder to put up a good ranking ticket than B... for me.

One of the main differences I noticed, was that in B... MOST players knew SOME of the rules to all the games. In C it was a total mixed bag... Many clearly had NO IDEA how to start modes or multiballs in some games... They were just trying to keep the ball alive... Huge spread of player knowledge/skill/pose in C.

The jump from C to B didn't seem all that big to me. If anything it was easier to get on games...

#206 9 years ago

Maybe you should just start your own WORLD PINBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS?

so I take it you don't have a constructive arguement or anything positive to add or answer?

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

Ah man... salt in the wound... (kidding).
    Yes, with all the entrants, and then a top level of great players.... I will call it. C was harder to put up a good ranking ticket than B... for me.
    One of the main differences I noticed, was that in B... MOST players knew SOME of the rules to all the games. In C it was a total mixed bag... Many clearly had NO IDEA how to start modes or multiballs in some games... They were just trying to keep the ball alive... Huge spread of player knowledge/skill/pose in C.
    The jump from C to B didn't seem all that big to me. If anything it was easier to get on games...

Some good points, but I think you are underestimating the level of competition in B.
    Let's check out the top finishers and their WPPR rankings:

Rod Lawrence - 159
    Matthew Clark - 259
    Steve Walker - 340
    Rob Wintler-Cox - 323
    Chris Devine - 1st event
    John Delzoppo - 152
    Joe Geneau - 265
    Brian Hill - 318
    Gilles Melanson - 385
    Ron Hallett Jr. - 344
    Jack Tadman - 153
    Jason Mawson - 453

Note there is only 1 player in the top 10 not above 400 world ranking.
    The top 24 total had only 3 players not above 400 world ranking.

Do you really think it's easier to qualify against nearly all top 400 players in B, than it is in C?
    By comparison, C division had 0 players ranked above 400 qualify.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from macbeaner:

I honestly think that Replay, PAPA, etc wants to grow pinball. hence the circuit, hence PAPAtv, hence the changes to PAPA this year. If you don't grow it and bring new players in, then 10 years from now, there will be no PAPA.
    I think a novice division isn't a bad thing. because you want to bring those new players in and give them the experience of competing in a major tournament. And feel like they have a chance to succeed. Otherwise, they'll play one year, go "this isn't worth it, I have NO chance" and they won't ever go back.
    That's my same argument for a women's division. Not that I don't think I can't compete with the men. But look at the last 10 years of PAPA. How many women have actually qualified in A, B and C? Not too many. I see lots of ladies coming in with their significant other, but they don't want to compete against all the guys. They get bored of wandering around the facility or end up going to tour Pittsburgh or hang out in a hotel. Heck, that's why I scorekeep. If you give them a division, they might feel more comfortable competing against each other, initially. If there were a womens division, you would be drawing new people into the sport, who down the road, may feel more comfortable entering C or B, once they get that tournament experience under their belt and feel more comfortable with their skills. I think that's the logic for the juniors division. To bring in the younger generation. If you don't appeal to them, again, PAPA, pinball, etc, will die in 10 years.

Helena Walter won B a few years ago.

And I'm sure many other women have qualified in B and C.

If another division is added, it makes it that much harder to place people in the correct division.

People in this thread seem to think that WPPR rankings can solve that.
    However, there are many players who don't play in tournaments or leagues and have probably never heard of a WPPR point, that could qualify in C. Some of these location players have the ability to qualify in B and possibly A.

A lot of good players that I meet on location are not aware of tournaments or rankings.

A good location player could show up to PAPA, decide to play in the D division because it is her first tournament, when she is really good enough to play in B.

#209 9 years ago

Some good points, but I think you are underestimating the level of competition in B.
    Let's check out the top finishers and their WPPR rankings:
    Rod Lawrence - 159
    Matthew Clark - 259
    Steve Walker - 340
    Rob Wintler-Cox - 323
    Chris Devine - 1st event
    John Delzoppo - 152
    Joe Geneau - 265
    Brian Hill - 318
    Gilles Melanson - 385
    Ron Hallett Jr. - 344
    Jack Tadman - 153
    Jason Mawson - 453
    Jack Tadman - 154
    Note there is only 1 player in the top 10 not above 400 world ranking.
    The top 24 total had only 3 players not above 400 world ranking.
    Do you really think it's easier to qualify against nearly all top 400 players in B, than it is in C?

I said to put up a good ranking ticket... I really don't expect to qualify... Trust me, my first couple of tickets in B were a total waste as I had all the nerves of (MAN, I DO NOT BELONG HERE), until I saw that the play wasn't all that crazy... Way more consistent, for sure, but not light years ahead of what I had just seen in C.

Consistency is the toughest part of PAPA.

My point is not about winning here, it's about balance. Pinball is in a strange spot in regards to the competitive side. We all want growth, and exposure(don't we?), but there are some huge divides. I think it is strange that someone ranked as the 15X player in the world, wouldn't want to take a shot at the A Division... Is it money? Is it just being scared? Is it really that Keith, Bowen, Josh, Zach, Caley, Andrei, etc... are that much better that someone ranked at 15X just doesn't think they belong? I don't know...

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

Is it really that Keith, Bowen, Josh, Zach, Caley, Andrei, etc... are that much better that someone ranked at 15X just doesn't think they belong? I don't know...

Heheh did you watch those names play?
    Tough act to follow, that's for sure

And a "good ranking ticket" is pretty useless if you don't qualify.

#211 9 years ago

I don't really care what happens regarding a D division. It seems unnecessary, but the PAPA staff will ultimately do what they think is best, and I'm sure it will be the right decision because they know what they're doing.

This is just my own personal experience at PAPA, which may parallel the experience of others, but at the very least it will illustrate one person's approach of how to compete at the world championships.

PAPA 15 - I had played in one league and "kind of" knew some competitive strategy. I tried 2 entries in C division and voided both because I was embarrassed of how poorly I played and got sick of standing in line to finish out a garbage ticket. The games were set up tough and I played way below my personal expectations. I saw some serious players in C and knew that I needed to up my game. Spent the rest of the weekend playing casual games and just learning more about the machines I didn't have regular access to.

PAPA 16 - I had a couple more leagues under my belt and a handful of local tournaments at this point. I felt confident I was ready to try B division, despite my previous failure in C. I ended up somewhere around 30th, but felt that I was competing at the correct level and always felt "one good game" out of a qualifying ticket.

PAPA 17 - Restricted to B, which is where I would have chosen to play anyway. Qualified for the playoffs and ended up finishing in the top 8. Felt personally satisfied with my quality of play in a pretty challenging field of talent.

PAPA 18 - We'll see where the restrictions end up next time, but I feel on the bubble of crossing over into A. If I'm not pushed there by restrictions, it will ultimately depend on the game banks and which one I feel more comfortable with.

So if that was all tl;dr for you - I showed up, realized I wasn't as good as I thought, learned to PLAY BETTER and got results. YMMV

Edit: I also took two trips to Pinburgh as a spectator / casual player before I even competed in ANYTHING. Just having access to the collection and watching the world's best was enough to get me interested in eventually joining as a tournament player. So there are more ways to grow the sport from novice player's perspective than by offering a "novice division". I know I wouldn't have even joined that at the time as I was just more focused on playing as many new (to me) games as possible.

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

I said to put up a good ranking ticket... I really don't expect to qualify... Trust me, my first couple of tickets in B were a total waste as I had all the nerves of (MAN, I DO NOT BELONG HERE), until I saw that the play wasn't all that crazy... Way more consistent, for sure, but not light years ahead of what I had just seen in C.
    Consistency is the toughest part of PAPA.
    My point is not about winning here, it's about balance. Pinball is in a strange spot in regards to the competitive side. We all want growth, and exposure(don't we?), but there are some huge divides. I think it is strange that someone ranked as the 15X player in the world, wouldn't want to take a shot at the A Division... Is it money? Is it just being scared? Is it really that Keith, Bowen, Josh, Zach, Caley, Andrei, etc... are that much better that someone ranked at 15X just doesn't think they belong? I don't know...

It has been this way for years for years.
    KME, BEK, LFS, NES, Paul Madison and others are legendary.

Good players would choose to play in B rather than face the intimidating elite.

People who finished in the top four at PAPA would play in A the next year, not qualify, then go back to B, as the rules allowed at the time.

In the old Pinburgh days players waited until they were forced into A (by winning B) to move up.

Being ranked in the top 15x does not mean that a player is necessarily almost as good as Jorian, IFK, Roy Wils, or Cayle. It could just mean that the player played well in many local tournaments.

At the time that the WPPRs came out, I was playing in more tournaments than almost anyone.
    This gave me a very high ranking.
    But I never decieved myself and knew that I was not as skilled as Bowen, Belsito, Lyman, Elwin, etc.

#213 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It is sad that the "I'm special" collector mentality pervades through the logic on the competitive sub-culture of pinball.

I don't think this is a fair generalization to make. I'm not special, I don't think many (if any) A players feel that way either, and high-quality events need to satisfy new and casual players above all others. Pretty much any tournament anyone throws, I'm going to enjoy, so I'm not the target audience for growing competitive events. The style and format of events and leagues I have worked with also bear this out; if new people aren't having fun, something is wrong.

#214 9 years ago

OK, for a moment, let's forget all the divisions. If I was a new pinball player just returning to pinball or getting into competitive pinball for the first time (oh wait, I am, lol), I would be overwhelmed by the tournament.

What if, during the event, there was single game mini tournaments? An announcement is made that a mini tournament is beginning on game X. Instead of going up to the counter to by an entry, you just show up at the machine with your tokens, Everyone who wants in takes a turn, the winner gets a shirt and a couple stickers. Most of the "tournament" players will either be busy in their division or not interested in a shirt and stickers but it would be really fun for any of the casual players, new players, pinball widows, kids etc.

Score could even be kept just like in the divisions, so people could get used to the scoring. The mini tournaments could run throughout the event with the points winner getting a small prize or plaque per day. There was alot of machines available for play on the floor all the time. The scorekeeper could even go over some of the rules and strategy beforehand.

Another idea might be some sort of 'introduction to pinball' seminar daily where flipper skills are demonstrated on an overhead screen and things like modes are explained. Maybe even cover the tournament scoring structure. Heck, I didn't really understand why I would void a ticket until the ride home.

#215 9 years ago

I'm not moving to A division unless I have to

#216 9 years ago

Holy cow. This thread took a drink of Red Bull while I wasn't looking.

Things I know:
    1. Division C description will be amended (yet again).
    2. Future restrictions will be based off of overall WPPR rank, not total number of tournaments played.

Things I suspect:
    1. Division D, if enacted, would function on the same bank of games as Juniors and Seniors. We will need to see if there's a way to expand the area to make it palatable space-wise. I *think* it's possible, but I don't have that answer yet.
    2. The creation of a Division D has more to do with maximizing the available space and resources than it does with problems in how Division C is structured. Tournament space on the red carpet needs to be used to its maximum potential, and currently Jr's & Sr's is the slowest division. If adding a Division D (assuming all other variables are worked out successfully) will help alleviate some of the crunch in Division C and perhaps lead to more new players overall, we will do it.

There's still a lot of issues that need to be worked out internally before this option becomes a reality. Just know that we're listening and always want to improve.

#217 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

I don't think this is a fair generalization to make. I'm not special, I don't think many (if any) A players feel that way either, and high-quality events need to satisfy new and casual players above all others. Pretty much any tournament anyone throws, I'm going to enjoy, so I'm not the target audience for growing competitive events. The style and format of events and leagues I have worked with also bear this out; if new people aren't having fun, something is wrong.

You are correct Bowen. It was not a fair generalization. I meant it more as the vocal ones that often seem to want to do anything they can to ignore the needs/desires for he newcomer and place greater importance on their own expereince.

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

I don't really care what happens regarding a D division. It seems unnecessary, but the PAPA staff will ultimately do what they think is best, and I'm sure it will be the right decision because they know what they're doing.
    This is just my own personal experience at PAPA, which may parallel the experience of others, but at the very least it will illustrate one person's approach of how to compete at the world championships.
    PAPA 15 - I had played in one league and "kind of" knew some competitive strategy. I tried 2 entries in C division and voided both because I was embarrassed of how poorly I played and got sick of standing in line to finish out a garbage ticket. The games were set up tough and I played way below my personal expectations. I saw some serious players in C and knew that I needed to up my game. Spent the rest of the weekend playing casual games and just learning more about the machines I didn't have regular access to.
    PAPA 16 - I had a couple more leagues under my belt and a handful of local tournaments at this point. I felt confident I was ready to try B division, despite my previous failure in C. I ended up somewhere around 30th, but felt that I was competing at the correct level and always felt "one good game" out of a qualifying ticket.
    PAPA 17 - Restricted to B, which is where I would have chosen to play anyway. Qualified for the playoffs and ended up finishing in the top 8. Felt personally satisfied with my quality of play in a pretty challenging field of talent.
    PAPA 18 - We'll see where the restrictions end up next time, but I feel on the bubble of crossing over into A. If I'm not pushed there by restrictions, it will ultimately depend on the game banks and which one I feel more comfortable with.
    So if that was all tl;dr for you - I showed up, realized I wasn't as good as I thought, learned to PLAY BETTER and got results. YMMV

Thanks for breaking down your PAPA journey! I will do the same......
    PAPA12 - I had zero league experience, zero tournament experience. Just started collecting games but I had been playing pinball since the '70's. I chose to play B division. I finished in mid-pack.
    PAPA13 - After PAPA12 I went home and started a league. Three seasons later it's time to play B division again. I came close to qualifying but my best ticket eventually fell to 23rd in the Saturday night beat down!
    PAPA14 - After another year of league and a few other tournaments it's time for B again. I qualified 13th. Got crushed in the first round of finals and finished 13th.
    PAPA15 - Now league is going strong and I've had some minimal success at other tourneys and some PAPA circuit events. Time to try B again. I qualified 6th! I got squashed in the first round of playoffs again. I finished 13th.
    PAPA16 - I was unable to attend.
    PAPA17 - Now I have had many years of league experience. I had a very solid Circuit event where I was 2nd in Classics and 4th in the Main. My WPPR ranking now around 125. Time to try B again! I really struggled to qualify but squeaked in to qualify 21st. AGAIN, I got crushed in the first round of the playoffs and finished 19th.
    PAPA18? I'm obviously a B div player. Should I try it again or jump to A div? Arguments could be made for both sides. Of course, if I get my WPPR to sub-100 then I won't have a choice to make, will I?

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Holy cow. This thread took a drink of Red Bull while I wasn't looking.
    Things I know:
    1. Division C description will be amended (yet again).
    2. Future restrictions will be based off of overall WPPR rank, not total number of tournaments played.
    Things I suspect:
    1. Division D, if enacted, would function on the same bank of games as Juniors and Seniors. We will need to see if there's a way to expand the area to make it palatable space-wise. I *think* it's possible, but I don't have that answer yet.
    2. The creation of a Division D has more to do with maximizing the available space and resources than it does with problems in how Division C is structured. Tournament space on the red carpet needs to be used to its maximum potential, and currently Jr's & Sr's is the slowest division. If adding a Division D (assuming all other variables are worked out successfully) will help alleviate some of the crunch in Division C and perhaps lead to more new players overall, we will do it.
    There's still a lot of issues that need to be worked out internally before this option becomes a reality. Just know that we're listening and always want to improve.

Thanks for listening and always looking to improve. I look forward to coming next year already and that says something! If a guy can leave an event after getting his ass handed to him and already be looking forward to next year then there is alot already being done right!

I am also more than willing to help out in any way I can with things. Granted I want to play in PAPA as I do a bit already on the local level, but I could see doing some fun side events for no points which have some restrictions to make them more newcomer friendly. I like the idea of a single or few games on an afternoon that are used for play and the prize is a free shirt. I woudl be happy to help with something like this.

#220 9 years ago

Also, to the person who said splitting jr's into three days was intended to make it easier on new parents, you are correct. We were losing interested families because they didn't want to have to attend four straight days. Splitting juniors up allowed us to introduce more people to the hobby, albeit at the expense of the crowning of one single champion. In the end, we made the decision to err on the side of introducing new players.

It also gives young players more opportunity to compete in a higher-pressure finals round.

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am also more than willing to help out in any way I can with things. Granted I want to play in PAPA as I do a bit already on the local level, but I could see doing some fun side events for no points which have some restrictions to make them more newcomer friendly. I like the idea of a single or few games on an afternoon that are used for play and the prize is a free shirt. I woudl be happy to help with something like this.

People do this kind of stuff fairly frequently. E-mail me when it gets closer with your ideas, and we'll work out the details. Sharpe e-mailed me a while back, and this is exactly how Pinbrawl got started at PAPA.

I always felt someone should organize a scavenger hunt... JT, I'm looking at you.

#222 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks for breaking down your PAPA journey! I will do the same......
    PAPA12 - I had zero league experience, zero tournament experience. Just started collecting games but I had been playing pinball since the '70's. I chose to play B division. I finished in mid-pack.
    PAPA13 - After PAPA12 I went home and started a league. Three seasons later it's time to play B division again. I came close to qualifying but my best ticket eventually fell to 23rd in the Saturday night beat down!
    PAPA14 - After another year of league and a few other tournaments it's time for B again. I qualified 13th. Got crushed in the first round of finals and finished 13th.
    PAPA15 - Now league is going strong and I've had some minimal success at other tourneys and some PAPA circuit events. Time to try B again. I qualified 6th! I got squashed in the first round of playoffs again. I finished 13th.
    PAPA16 - I was unable to attend.
    PAPA17 - Now I have had many years of league experience. I had a very solid Circuit event where I was 2nd in Classics and 4th in the Main. My WPPR ranking now around 125. Time to try B again! I really struggled to qualify but squeaked in to qualify 21st. AGAIN, I got crushed in the first round of the playoffs and finished 19th.
    PAPA18? I'm obviously a B div player. Should I try it again or jump to A div? Arguments could be made for both sides. Of course, if I get my WPPR to sub-100 then I won't have a choice to make, will I?

That is enough to make me think the A ristriction should be moved to 150 or even 200. You sound like what I would think is an A player for sure? You have qualified multiple times for B and have been competining for a long time with many top performances beating many top players. All those things sound like A player credentials to me. I would think that as the sport grows the restriction would likely move a bit. Maybe 150 and 450 next year? Seems like as more good players work their way in then they shoudl be forced to the elite.

#223 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is enough to make me think the A ristriction should be moved to 150 or even 200. You sound like what I would think is an A player for sure? You have qualified multiple times for B and have been competining for a long time with many top performances beating many top players. All those things sound like A player credentials to me.

Yes, but have I had any real success in B division at PAPA? That is the question.

#224 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes, but have I had any real success in B division at PAPA? That is the question.

I would say yes. You have qualified consistently for your past few attempts. That seems like A calibur ready play to me.

#225 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would say yes. You have qualified consistently for your past few attempts. That seems like A calibur ready play to me.

Oh Yea, you are ready to take on the best in the world because you've qualified in B!!
    CONGRATS ! Here's a certificate !

Now where's that epic face palm again?

#226 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

But I have performed poorly in the playoffs every single time(3 times to be exact). Doesn't this seem to indicate that I am a mediocre/good B div player? Why should someone who has not had a good finish in B div move to A div. To do even worse? I just don't follow the logic.

#227 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Also, to the person who said splitting jr's into three days was intended to make it easier on new parents, you are correct. We were losing interested families because they didn't want to have to attend four straight days. Splitting juniors up allowed us to introduce more people to the hobby, albeit at the expense of the crowning of one single champion. In the end, we made the decision to err on the side of introducing new players.
    It also gives young players more opportunity to compete in a higher-pressure finals round.

You still crowned a single champion

#228 9 years ago

While waiting to play Mustang in the B bank, I let someone else go ahead of me because I couldn't take my eyes of Escher nailing the Dr. Who loop about 100 times in a row. Sonic Booms all over the place. That kid is unreal.

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

But I have performed poorly in the playoffs every single time(3 times to be exact). Doesn't this seem to indicate that I am a mediocre/good B div player? Why should someone who has not had a good finish in B div move to A div. To do even worse? I just don't follow the logic.

Because Whysnow and Nate said so!

I think the fundamental issue here is that the most vocal people in regards to WPPRs, tournament experience, regulations, etc, do not fully understand what separates A from B and B from C.

#230 9 years ago

100 is probably a good cutoff for now. I like the ifpa ranking restrictions across the board.

#231 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

In my limited expereince I think anyone that consistently qualifies for any division for a number of years is probably on the verge. At minimum it seems like you are better than 80% of the other people playing in B. I would guess that puts you in the middle of the pack in A.

What would constitute a move to A for you? Do you need to be forced there by being top 100 IFPA or by placing top 4? Is that how it should be? I honestly do not know since I have no idea how difficult B is. It does seem to me that many people will not move unless forced so the organizers have the difficult task of deciding where that cutoff is and how to move it each year as things evolve.

Maybe further criteria that top 8 in each division from the previous year have to move? or top 16? If you are consistently in the money for a division then I woudl think it is time to move?

It does seem that the majority of people in top 16 of C will likely be playing in B next year just based on predicted IFPA points. I would think B restrcitions shuold be adjusted to be similar.

It all gets very grey in these cases. If I have easy access to all of the data at hand it would likely be realitively easy to develop a good predictive model to adjust restrictions from year to year.

#232 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly do not know since I have no idea how difficult B is.

B is F*&%ing tough!

#233 9 years ago

I think the fundamental issue here is that the most vocal people in regards to WPPRs, tournament experience, regulations, etc, do not fully understand what separates A from B and B from C.

Why do you disagree with this Nate?
    Whysnow just admitted he has no idea how difficult B is.
    Clearly you do not either, as you claim it is less difficult than C.

If you guys had more PAPA experience under your belt, you would be more informed about what constitutes the different divisions. It is not a dig at either of you, it is merely a fact.

#234 9 years ago

I fully understand what seperates B from C and that is ONLY the restrictions of 400 IFPA or placed top 4 in previous years C. To me it was apparent that the top 100 finishers in C were all very evenly matched with the top 24 being the better/ more consistent players. The vast majority of these top 16 qualifiers/people will likely be playing in B next year.

My logical conclusion is that B is similar in symptoms (so those qualifying in the top would/should likely step up next year or 2) and if it is not then some further tweaks are likely needed to help people that are not capable of making the best decision of their placement for the greater good of the event.

I do have a pretty large body of knowledge of what consitituets and A, B, C player outside of PAPA as I play and host tournaments with these guys on a regular basis and also play against them. Heck, Josh H. and Jason W. have been to my house to play against the local WI crew pretty regularly so I know the calibur and what seperates them from local B and C players.

#235 9 years ago

Give me a break dude.
    What are you, the saviour of competitive pinball after your 12 months of experience?
    Maybe you should stick to calling children names....

Hey, stop spelling random words with extra "u"s in them, and give me back my initials!

#236 9 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Hey, stop spelling random words with extra "u"s in them, and give me back my initials!

Hey, we have different syntax up here in the great white north

Your initials? I was born with them buddy !
    Where's the A in Bowen?!?!

I would challenge you to a pin death match, with the winner keeping the AJK.....
    But I'm smarter than that ! (i think)

#237 9 years ago

Why do you disagree with this Nate?
    Whysnow just admitted he has no idea how difficult B is.
    Clearly you do not either, as you claim it is less difficult than C.
    If you guys had more PAPA experience under your belt, you would be more informed about what constitutes the different divisions. It is not a dig at either of you, it is merely a fact.

I disagree with you assuming you know what I do or don't know. If you read what I wrote...

"Yes, with all the entrants, and then a top level of great players.... I will call it. C was harder to put up a good ranking ticket than B... for me."

There is no argument. You cannot argue how I feel. So stop.

Also, you are really laying on the "If you had more experience" arrogance in this thread. The format was altered this year from last, so you and I have the exact same amount of experience with the current system. Also, I played in both Divisions this year, did you? Did you watch the play of everyone and take notes so you could talk about it later on your podcast? Also, I have played in similar tournament settings all over the world in poker, and beach volleyball. Also, I can read the history of this argument and see the changes that have happened. Just because you went to Pittsburgh a few times doesn't somehow make you more astute on a topic.

Also, you clearly want it all the way it has always been. PAPA has been very open to asking for opinions on what would make the tournament better. Do these changes not suit you? Is this about you? If you like it the way it is, and always was, that's great. Some don't. To say that if I had only had more experience I might somehow see it your way is very close minded in my opinion. Often I have found bringing people with a fresh perspective from outside of a business/idea/whatever with less bias based on "the way it used to be/the way it always has been/whatever" leads to fresh ideas and a better environment for growth. Sorry I don't agree with you, it's okay, we will be fine. Just my opinions.

#238 9 years ago

That's just a tad silly, don't ya think?
    Someone unable to qualify in C for 3 years should move up to a more skilled division?
    Just because they have experience in failing?

I believe I said this earlier and I'll say it again. My husband never qualified B. He was there for at least three years. He finally said the heck with it and moved up to A. He qualified the second year he was there. So moving up isn't always a taboo thing to do.

The problem with C is the sheer number of competitors. You may not be qualifying because there are 150 - 200 competitors in C. And I believe C2C said on his podcast, most of them don't void their entries, so you're competing against ridiculous scores. You might find you have a better chance in B. Less competitors. And the games aren't set up majorly different. I maintain, had I thrown in a second entry, I probably would have finished higher than last. And I'm ranked 1193 at IFPA. I'm not required to play in B by PAPA rules. But I play in a league. I also play in many tournaments and I feel I don't belong in C, despite my ranking, because I am experienced.

And why not challenge yourself. Play B next year. The worst that can happen is that you don't qualify. Which you don't seem to be doing in C either.

#239 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Helena Walter won B a few years ago.

I believe she won at Pinburgh, I don't think she won PAPA, but I could be wrong. And I didn't say they didn't qualify. I forget what the statistics are. Someone actually did them as research for a justification for a women's division.

#240 9 years ago

Love this concept of PAPA qualifying stories. I'd love to see one of these from someone like Bowen who has been playing at PAPA since the early days.

My experience has been somewhat similar to Sleethering, and we in fact usually make the trip out together, but I'll lay mine out anyways:

PAPA 15 - WPPR 4203 - Same as Sleethering. Had just joined my first league. I think I played two entries and learned two things: 1. Fish Tales is hard. 2. I had a LOT of work to do if I wanted to compete at PAPA. I had very little game knowledge, and was lacking many skills (live-catching, drop-catching, loop-passing, tap-passing, meaningful nudging). On top of that, even if I had any of those skills under my belt, my jitters were so bad I probably would have bailed on them anyway, and flailed my way to failure. Had a blast playing casual games until my brain shut down.

Pinburgh 2013 - WPPR 1563 - Had lots of fun, and learned how much I didn't know about playing Classics-era games. Had some skills, but had a hard time focusing. I hate waiting to play, as it's hard to stay in your head and get a rhythm going. Finished 238th, no finals for me. Left with the desire to practice more on old games and come back strong next year.

PAPA 16 - WPPR 750 - At this point I've got a few seasons of league and some local tournaments under my belt. I've got some flipper skills and I know how to play some of the games. Sleethering gave me a good tutorial on Scared Stiff in the practice bank, which I played for about 45 minutes before heading straight to the SS in the C bank. "Crushed" it with a 14m, as I recall, which isn't really impressive at all but was one of the higher ranking scores. That ticket was good enough to make me a low qualifier in C finals. Choked hard in the first round on games I had very little experience on: Centaur, Avengers, Avatar. I was not relaxed at all and wasn't playing my game, but I got money for playing pin! Sweet!! ninjadoug yelled at me for standing on a chair for a better view even though KOI is allowed during classics finals

Pinburgh 2014 - WPPR 350 - Feeling much more comfortable executing aforementioned skills, and much better at analyzing how to play games I've never seen before on-the-spot. Played poorly the first day, but picked it up a little friday and saturday enough to make the C finals. Chugged about 6 Mountain Dews during finals and played decently but got knocked out of a tie-breaker for the finals by a HYPED Jake Petersen.

PAPA 17 - WPPR 318 - Restricted to "B" now, but not really expecting to be able to perform at that level. The only reason my WPPR is even that high is that we now have a TON of league and tournament opportunities Cleveland, relative to just a couple years earlier. Luckily at least two of the games in B bank were in C last year (SS and RBION), and I felt comfortable with my ability to successfully execute a "B" level high score strategy on ACDC. Stuck to those games, blew it every time on Centaur, and ended a decent ticket with a thankfully great game on Target Pool. I'd love to attribute that Target Pool score to mostly skill, but even a great player could get hosed on that game quite easily. Either way that resulted in a ticket that kept me in the top 8 all the way from thursday night until the end of qualifying. Got the bye for first round, played well in quarter-finals, blew it in semi-finals even though i had pick, and ended up 8th. Would have loved to make it to finals but felt just fine about my performance in general. Played bad in Classics but tap-passed my way to the high-score on Paragon which was a great feeling. Several highly ranked players complimented me on that game, which was a pleasant surprise to a no-name guy such as myself.

PAPA 18 - WPPR ? - I will almost assuredly compete in B again. I was psyched to qualify in B for PAPA 17, but aside from some decent execution I probably got a little lucky. I am getting more consistent though. If for some reason I am restricted to A I will gladly take that honor and do my best on some entries. If anything that restriction would probably inspire me to step up my game.

None of this is really meant as an argument in any direction, just thought some might take interest. I agree that moving A restrictions to top 150 or 200 would be appropriate, as well as moving B restrictions to 600-700.

As a person that runs a league and quite a few tournaments every year now, I spend a lot of time thinking about how to get people into competitive (and casual) pinball and have come to an understanding that some people just aren't going to like it that much regardless of how easy you make it for them. I think it is more effective to focus on finding those guys n' gals that really get into it if you just give them a taste, and show them that even if they don't have a good chance of winning, it's still FUN to hang out and play pinball in public. In a way that's what I took from my first visit to PAPA. I didn't feel ready to compete on any of those levels, but luckily there are hundreds of games to enjoy as a casual player.

Every trip to PAPA is a great experience, and I learn something new every time. Many thanks to those that work so hard to make it so good!

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

"Yes, with all the entrants, and then a top level of great players.... I will call it. C was harder to put up a good ranking ticket than B... for me."
    There is no argument. You cannot argue how I feel. So stop.
    Also, you are really laying on the "If you had more experience" arrogance in this thread.

From what I can see, you did not put up a good ranking ticket in B, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion?

If you read the comments from the other PAPA vets who have chimed in with their PAPA experiences (slithering ,LOTR_Breath and vanapult) you will see it has nothing to do with arrogance. Only experience.

#242 9 years ago

From what I can see, you did not put up a good ranking ticket in B, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion?
    If you read the comments from the other PAPA vets who have chimed in with their PAPA experiences (slithering ,LOTR_Breath and vanapult) you will see it has nothing to do with arrogance. Only experience.

You should have seen my C ticket. You just keep missing that this isn't about me... or the PAPA vets.

#243 9 years ago
    Quoted from Vanapult:

Love this concept of PAPA qualifying stories.

Papa 16 I strolled in like the Roy Munson in the beginning of Kingpin. First game walked up the Whirlwind in B and blew around 20 milllionish score and collected $100 prize. Looked around at the other games, most I find on the "easy" side, and licked my chops; thanks for the money suckers.

All. Down. Hill. From. There.

Then talked to some high rankers that told me I was dumb and should have started in C my firs time.
    Live & Learn.

#244 9 years ago

Know what will hurt competitive pinball? People being forced into playing higher priced divisions they can't be competitive in.

No one wants to put entry after entry in chasing a hopeless fight. That's less money in the prize pool and less play from the players.

The old model of 'you did well, now it's time to move up' works fine IMO.

I've never qualified in PAPA format. People may say I should be an 'A' player based on how I've played against other people in other formats... but I've never been successful in the PAPA format. What does putting me in 'A' do for anyone?

I skipped PAPA this past year.. and if it weren't for ReplayFX I'd probably skip next year too. Pinburg has been enough for me to scratch my Carnegie itch and I enjoy the format more.

#245 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

You just keep missing that this isn't about me... or the PAPA vets.

No, it's about newcomers who think they have all the answers with strong convictions based on what?
    Arbitrary values of who should play where, disregarding the 17 year history of the event.

Quoted from C2CPinball:

Did you watch the play of everyone and take notes so you could talk about it later on your podcast?

I'm sorry Nate, but your observations are not any more important than mine or anyone else's for that matter.
    Hell, if we all went with your "notes", everyone who listens to your podcast would believe that Future Spa is an EM.
    Experience, not arrogance.

#246 9 years ago

No, it's about newcomers who think they have all the answers with strong convictions based on what?
    Arbitrary values of who should play where, disregarding the 17 year history of the event.

I'm sorry Nate, but your observations are not any more important than mine or anyone else's.
    Hell, if we went with your "notes", everyone who listens to your podcast would believe that Future Spa is an EM.
    Lack of experience, not arrogance.

Ah, how cute you made it personal. (Misses running joke of all games pre 1980 being EM.)

Please, if you can't have a conversation... then buy a T-shirt! http://www.coast2coastpinball.com/shirts.html

#247 9 years ago

Adam, how do you feel about players ranked higher than you playing in the C Division? Real question.

#248 9 years ago

Vanapult,
    Did you feel that the level of competition in B was significantly tougher than C? I figure you could accurately judge since you qualified in both Divisions the past 2 years. I know you finished better in B, but I'm sure your skill level also improved over the past year.

My only PAPA experience was PAPA 16 last year where I just missed qualifying in C. I'm kicking myself for not putting in a B ticket just to see how I'd fare, but I thought maybe my C ticket would be enough to hang on. Since that time my WPPR ranking has climbed from 1200+ to 411 meaning that the next time I play PAPA I will almost certainly be playing in "B". I'm just curious as to what I'll be in for.

#249 9 years ago
    Quoted from C2CPinball:

Adam, how do you feel about players ranked higher than you playing in the C Division? Real question.

As I have said in this thread, if a player has failed to qualify or finish top 4 in B or C, they should not be forced up based on "tournament experience." That does nothing for anyone, other than make said player not want to compete again.
    PAPA already has restrictions based on WPPR (which are not the be-all end-all of pinball skill rankings btw) and previous top 4 finishes.
    Deciding divisions based on tournament experience makes no sense.
    And adding even more stringent WPPR thresholds will only be to the detriment of the tournament.
    Flynnibus said it very well:

Quoted from flynnibus:

Know what will hurt competitive pinball? People being forced into playing higher priced divisions they can't be competitive in.
    No one wants to put entry after entry in chasing a hopeless fight. That's less money in the prize pool and less play from the players.
    The old model of 'you did well, now it's time to move up' works fine IMO.

Now how do I get on team C2C?
    Will you sponsor me?
    Let's grab a beer at the next event!

#250 9 years ago

You are already on the team.

There are 338 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-what-a-blast/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.