Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rebound-rubber.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 9 years ago

This is cool.

#37 9 years ago

Loving the B bank! I will go ahead and predict a few of the A bank games! LOTR, Avatar, BSD, TSPP, FGY, S-M, MM. OK, I forgot Star Trek, WOF, FH, WW, WH2O.

Edited early Wednesday morning. Now how am I doing, Mark?

#40 9 years ago

Division A:

Twilight Zone
    Star Trek
    Surf n Safari
    Mousin Around
    Spiderman
    Quicksilver
    Fish Tales
    High Speed
    World Cup Soccer
    Wizard of Oz

OK, so I only predicted 2 games. You guys are doing a good job of keeping us guessing. And I am SO glad this is not the B bank!

#56 9 years ago

I know there used to be a duplicate JM, but if Mark says there isn't I believe him. Hey Mark. Are we gonna see games announced for Classics II and III ?

#60 9 years ago

Note to all C div players. Practice on the duplicate JM early before it breaks down. Seriously.

#71 9 years ago

Hey Mark/Doug. Can we go ahead and get this question out of the way. Will cheat sheets be allowed for the NBAFB trivia? Thanks in advance.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

PAPA Rules Section VII #9
    No player may use a camera or visual aid of any kind, other than the instructions provided by the machine, while standing at the machine. A player may review electronic or written notes in between turns of a multiplayer game or between games, but not during their own turn or between balls of a single-player game. While not actively playing, players are of course free to discuss features and strategies as much as they like, including between balls during a game, but no spectator or other player is compelled to answer, nor are they responsible for incorrect advice or answers to questions.

Thanks. Guess we will have something to study on the 12 hour drive up there!

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Mark, I often use my phone's timer to set a 30-60 second timer after a tilt to tell me when the tilt bob has likely settled down a bit. Still allowed?

Absolutely allowed. I did this at the PAPA circuit tourney at SFGE and Mark and Doug commented on it favorably.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been reading up on C division games and I am convinced that WOF was put in it just as an evil experiment to see if even bad games in PaPa C division see a price increase after the event
    WOF is the one game in that bank that seems out of place and I hope dies a fiery death prior to the competition and needs to be replaced.
    Division C:
    Jackbot
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Future Spa
    Batman Dark Knight
    Corvette
    Addams Family
    Wheel of Fortune
    Attack from Mars
    f14 tomcat

Seems like Future Spa would be the oddball in that group. WOF is actually a fun game to play, and since it takes a totally different flipper and nudging skill set to play well, it seems to me like a good qualifying game. It has been used before at PAPA as well, in A division qualifying.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for the info/ tips on putting together a ticket. Keep them coming if you have more.
    I can definately see it as being a good strategy if you are familiar with the less popular games to try and assemble a ticket with those mainly...
    Unfortunately, like most people I have never even seen many of those less popular games.

At first, stick with the ones you know. If you get a machine that is kicking our ass, don't give up on it too early. You will get acclimated to it over time and do better. If after maybe 8-10 tries on a particular game it is still dealing you fits, then you may want to switch up. Keep in mind that the games are set up super tough, so a score you consider poor on a particular pin may not be as bad as you think. If you are qualified in the top 24(C and Classics only) and qualifying is nearing an end, consider playing more tickets on the opposite games from your best ticket. This is an attempt to knock down the other players, and don't feel bad about doing it. They will be doing the same thing to you. TAKE YOUR TIME on a ticket. Feel free to play one or 2 games and take a break, get some food, etc, before playing the rest of the games on your ticket. Also lines get long on Friday and Saturday night. Consider playing earlier and at times when most players will be eating meals. Lines will be very short or non-existent.

#101 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

There will be a second Johnny Mnemonic. I forgot we had two of those, but I just checked the list and that's correct.
    Classics II and III will be revealed sometime next week. We still need to make some decisions there.
    Mousin Around has two rebound rubbers affixed to either side of the center ramp. They were made by JCS pinball and worked perfectly. The center ramp is still available, but it's a significantly tougher shot.

I know you've probably already made up your mind on Classic II and III but I would like to vote for the following games. They are all great games! Snow Derby, 300, Old Coney Island, Time Fantasy, Paragon, Genie, Argosy.

#106 9 years ago

Their parking is limited but for a Thursday and PAPA you should have little or no problem. They have a paved lot that holds maybe 30 cars, then a gravel lot that holds maybe 20-30 more. Then you just have to find/make one around the old warehouses on the block. I think Pinburgh weekdays are the only real problem due to 400 players having to be there at the same A.M. time.

They also have been renting a large paved lot about 1/4 mile away for Pinburgh. Not sure if they will do the same for PAPA. Bottom line, don't sweat it. You'll find a place and it won't cost you anything.

#107 9 years ago

So, has everyone been studying rulesheets and watching videos? Waiting with baited breath for Classics II and III. I'm out of stuff to study right now!

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for the info!
    Guess I better put them on my FutureSpa that arrives today
    Also, are any games in C div severly crippled in any way that would change strategy? i.e. JM spinner removed or only gives 1/2 spins?
    One more... Do extra balls always award points? or are they sometimes set to nothing?
    Thanks in advance. Just trying to do as much research as possible.

I can answer part of that. Extra balls can award points, nothing, or even extra balls. I know that PAPA has used Paragon in the past and extra balls were still on, and that may even be the case with Future Spa. Some modern games do not even award points for an extra ball. Batman Dark Knight is like that. Also important to know is that many games award points for a special. Ali can be set this way, Harlem Globetrotters, LOTR, the list goes on and on.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Did anyone see that A & B divisions are now also taking 24 qualifiers? When did this happen? How do people feel about this?

What????? This is very new. Yay!!!!!!!!!
    "UPDATE 6
    Divisions A, B & C will all have 24 qualifiers. The top 8 qualifiers in each division will receive a bye."

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Which reminds me. Has there been an announcement of the live coverage schedule?

Typically they will broadcast the last hour or two of A div qualifying which ends Saturday @ 12midnite eastern. Then they will show all of the A div finals which begins Sunday @ 11AM and runs until about 5PM.

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Is PAPA open on Wed for those not in PinBrawl?
    We should be arriving in the evening and itching to play!

Very good question. I was wondering the same.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think you get any WPR points for B or C. Just for A and the 2 Classics divisions.

A div and Classics I, II and III gets you WPPR's. As far as camera time, it's usually just A div and they have recorded some Classics finals for commentary in past PAPA tournaments.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-17-games-revealed-1?tu=lotr_breath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.