5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rebound-rubber.jpg

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

Just wondering how PAPA is any different from Pinburgh which has restrictions once the group breaks into divisions. Isn't it the same?

The difference is you dont pick which division you're in, your division on the 2nd day is based on your play from the 1st day.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

The difference is you dont pick which division you're in, your division on the 2nd day is based on your play from the 1st day.

Some players are still restricted to A after the first day regardless of their record. So I see the point (and hope it's ignored). Maybe the fact that everyone competes all together the entire first day is enough to say the whole thing is basically open.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Some players are still restricted to A after the first day regardless of their record. So I see the point (and hope it's ignored). Maybe the fact that everyone competes all together the entire first day is enough to say the whole thing is basically open.

Pinburgh is one large event held on the same set of machines that any player who enters can win, thus it receives WPPR points. At the PAPA WC, several of the divisions have restrictions that are placed upon them that prohibit a subset of players from entering. Those divisions are not open events, and so they do not receive WPPR points. The two tournaments are perfect examples of the differences between a closed and open tournament, so there's no chance of the point allocation changing (nor should it).

If you ever wonder whether a tournament is closed or open, ask yourself, "Could Keith Elwin win this event?" If the answer is yes, it is an open tournament. If the answer is no, it is not an open event, and it will not receive WPPR's.

Pinburgh? Yes, Keith could win = receives WPPR's
    Division A at PAPA 17? Yes, Keith could win = receives WPPR's
    Susie Buckingham's "Everyone must bring their own coal-miner's headlamp" tournament? Yes, Keith could win = receives WPPR's
    Juniors, B or C Division at PAPA 17? No, Keith is not eligible = No WPPR's for you!

In order for divisions B and C to receive WPPR points, there would have to be some kind of final playoff between the champions of all three divisions, or maybe some type of open qualifying system to sort the players before the tournament. This would be a farce though and would demean both the tournament and point system. PAPA B & C divisions have been around longer than the WPPR system and are great for their intended purpose. The WPPR system is fantastic, and 5.0 will be even better, but in my humble opinion If there's some players who don't show up to the PAPA WC because ranking points aren't available for their division, I would question whether they're more interested in playing pinball or playing with numbers, because there's plenty of pinball and fun to be had for everyone.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Pinburgh is one large event held on the same set of machines that any player who enters can win, thus it receives WPPR points. At the PAPA WC, several of the divisions have restrictions that are placed upon them that prohibit a subset of players from entering. Those divisions are not open events, and so they do not receive WPPR points. The two tournaments are perfect examples of the differences between a closed and open tournament, so there's no chance of the point allocation changing (nor should it).
    If you ever wonder whether a tournament is closed or open, ask yourself, "Could Keith Elwin win this event?" If the answer is yes, it is an open tournament. If the answer is no, it is not an open event, and it will not receive WPPR's.
    Pinburgh? Yes, Keith could win = receives WPPR's
    Division A at PAPA 17? Yes, Keith could win = receives WPPR's
    Susie Buckingham's "Everyone must bring their own coal-miner's headlamp" tournament? Yes, Keith could win = receives WPPR's
    Juniors, B or C Division at PAPA 17? No, Keith is not eligible = No WPPR's for you!

Keith Elwin couldn't win the Pinburgh B division, but there are WPPRs for B (and C and D) in that tournament.

Personally, I care about WPPRs more than I did a few years ago. The main reason for the change is that I cared about them a zero amount back then. The past three weekends, I played in 3 events: One was a Project Pinball tournament I ran (WPPR = yes), and the other two were non-WPPR tournaments. WPPRs and trying to improving my ranking are the icing on the cake, but they aren't the cake itself.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Keith Elwin couldn't win the Pinburgh B division, but there are WPPRs for B (and C and D) in that tournament.

In Pinburgh, "B Division" isn't so much an actual division as it is a playoff for 101st-200th place in a 400 man tournament. The WPPRS are given based on that as a factor.

#156 5 years ago

I for one would like to say that I like the WPPR system the way it is, right along with the changes in the last few months. Thanks to those behind the scenes that do it for hours with no compensation what-so-ever!

#157 5 years ago

haven't seen this answered here yet, but will the PAPA facility be open to the public tomorrow (Wednesday) or only to PinBrawlers?

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

haven't seen this answered here yet, but will the PAPA facility be open to the public tomorrow (Wednesday) or only to PinBrawlers?

Only open to PinBrawl participants.

#159 5 years ago

thx!

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

I was hoping if I managed to qualify for B or C (let's be realistic, C) there would at least a taping of the lower division finals for later posting to the PAPA site. Any chances of that?

Since the B and C finals are on a different bank of machines, it would be difficult to record those games; the cameras are all set up at the A finals location.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

In Pinburgh, "B Division" isn't so much an actual division as it is a playoff for 101st-200th place in a 400 man tournament. The WPPRS are given based on that as a factor.

400th place will be near the top of C Division at Pinburgh 2015

#162 5 years ago

Sorry if it has been mentioned already, but can we please have the schedule for the PAPA TV coverage of this event?

Thanks, SV.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Sorry if it has been mentioned already, but can we please have the schedule for the PAPA TV coverage of this event?

Finals will be covered. Some amount of qualifying may be covered, but they never announce that. Expect the last hour of qualifying at least will be covered.

#164 5 years ago

Anyone know when the shuttle bus is supposed to start running today?

#165 5 years ago

When does the stream start? I wanted to watch all day during work today.

#166 5 years ago

Does anyone know what the direct link is to check on qualifying standings? I'm unable to attend this year but would like to check-in periodically and see how everyone is doing.

#167 5 years ago

Doesn't seem to be posted yet. Qualifying begins at 12...last year's is at http://legacy.papa.org/papa16/live/ so I'm guessing something that that URL will appear soon for PAPA17.

#169 5 years ago

No broadcast til Sunday!? Boooo!

#170 5 years ago

Trying to follow the Classics 1 playoffs. Semifinals are happening now, but the page seems to be broken.
    http://papa.org/live/playerIndex.php?bracketId=1&set=Semifinals

If anyone has a link that works or even a list of the groups/games, that'd be great. Hoping the page gets fixed at some point.

EDIT: Working once again.

#171 5 years ago

To bad the classics finals isn't on papa tv. Fun final round with Bowen pulling out a win to force a tie breaker.

#172 5 years ago

Many times it seems they'll do sort of a "test stream" on Saturday night for the last hour of qualifying.
    Pretty fun to watch. Keep an eye out on Saturday night at 10 - 11pm eastern.

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from joelreeves:

Many times it seems they'll do sort of a "test stream" on Saturday night for the last hour of qualifying.
    Pretty fun to watch. Keep an eye out on Saturday night at 10 - 11pm eastern.

Thanks, it seems weird to me that it is so hard to find out when PAPA TV is going to be broadcasting, I may be missing it but I couldn't find anything on their webpage. If I click on "broadcasts" then "broadcast schedule" this is what I get:

Tournament Broadcast Schedule
    16 Oct Pinball Expo
    21 Nov Free-Play Florida
    06 Mar Louisville Arcade Expo

No mention of PAPA 17 at all.

Why put so much effort into recording the event and then make it so hard to find out when it will be televised?

#174 5 years ago

Before yesterday, it was listed as 8/14 which is why I was looking for the stream. It probably automatically expires when the date arrives and now they have more important things to do than update the date on that.

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

To bad the classics finals isn't on papa tv. Fun final round with Bowen pulling out a win to force a tie breaker.

I would love to see them do a broadcast of the classics finals, but I understand the limitations on camera setups and such.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks, it seems weird to me that it is so hard to find out when PAPA TV is going to be broadcasting, I may be missing it but I couldn't find anything on their webpage.

I was wondering about the schedule and went looking this morning and didn't find anything. I enjoyed watching the finals last year, I hope we can do the same this year.

#177 5 years ago

Here's a dumb question, but please indulge. I typically watch the live stream on my Dell windows 7 computer, 19-inch flat screen monitor. Is there a way I can watch the finals live stream on my big screen TV? I have a Blueray player that i can stream Youtube videos, netflix, etc., on the TV which is hooked up to my cable modem via ethernet cable and router. Just curious.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Here's a dumb question, but please indulge. I typically watch the live stream on my Dell windows 7 computer, 19-inch flat screen monitor. Is there a way I can watch the finals live stream on my big screen TV? I have a Blueray player that i can stream Youtube videos, netflix, etc., on the TV which is hooked up to my cable modem via ethernet cable and router. Just curious.

Is your PC close to your TV? The simplest solution would be to continue to stream it on the PC, and just hook up the monitor cable (that's currently running to your 19" monitor) to your TV. Or, you could hook up a second video output, if applicable, from your PC to your TV and leave the existing cable alone.

It's unlikely that your BR player will have Twitch TV built in, but that's at least something you can check.

Other options would include streaming the Twitch feed on a phone, tablet, or laptop, and using some form of video out from these devices -- a cable/adapter/whatever that starts on the device and ends at your TV with HDMI, or even something like a ChromeCast (or whatever the Apple version is, if applicable) on your TV that would allow you to stream wirelessly.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

I watched some of the finals on my TV last year from my Apple TV streamed from my phone. Technology! 'course that only works if you have an ATV ;P

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Is your PC close to your TV? The simplest solution would be to continue to stream it on the PC, and just hook up the monitor cable (that's currently running to your 19" monitor) to your TV. Or, you could hook up a second video output, if applicable, from your PC to your TV and leave the existing cable alone.
    It's unlikely that your BR player will have Twitch TV built in, but that's at least something you can check.
    Other options would include streaming the Twitch feed on a phone, tablet, or laptop, and using some form of video out from these devices -- a cable/adapter/whatever that starts on the device and ends at your TV with HDMI, or even something like a ChromeCast (or whatever the Apple version is, if applicable) on your TV that would allow you to stream wirelessly.

O.k. My wife has an apple laptop that we can hook up to TV using a HDMI interface cable. We have used this to watch movies off the internet. Only issue is we can only get the video, not audio, at least with the notebook, so we have to hook up a pair of old computer speakers to the notebook and crank em up to get sound.

Another option is using my IPAD Air / WIFI connection, I can stream to my Blueray player using Blue tooth and display to the Television. I have watched Youtube videos this way, but not a live stream broadcast. I have the Twitch TV App on my IPAD Air. Has anyone else done this?

#181 5 years ago

I use a Chromecast (http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/) which I think you can buy at some retail outlets locally now (Walmart & Best Buy).

Any chance we're going to see a stream late Saturday night? I really enjoy watching the last minute stuff.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahanson:

I use a Chromecast (http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/) which I think you can buy at some retail outlets locally now (Walmart & Best Buy).
    Any chance we're going to see a stream late Saturday night? I really enjoy watching the last minute stuff.

Thanks for the link to Chromecast. I am going to start checking Saturday afternoon and evening. Sometimes they broadcast for a few hours before qualifying closes at Midnight.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Thanks for the link to Chromecast. I am going to start checking Saturday afternoon and evening. Sometimes they broadcast for a few hours before qualifying closes at Midnight.

Per Bowen on Facebook, "PAPAtv will be live tonight for final qualifying." So, yah.

Also note you can create a twitch.tv login and elect to follow http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball and get an email when they go live.

#184 5 years ago

So...still not online, only 2 1/2 hours of qualifying left.

#185 5 years ago

live at 10pm per bowen

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

live at 10pm per bowen

Thankyou

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahanson:

It doesn't look like twitch tv is Chromecast compatible. How do you cast from the live PAPA feed on twitch?

#189 5 years ago

(i personally just watch on a computer monitor, but YMMV)

#190 5 years ago

No broadcast tonite?

#192 5 years ago

Yeah!

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

O.k. My wife has an apple laptop that we can hook up to TV using a HDMI interface cable. We have used this to watch movies off the internet. Only issue is we can only get the video, not audio, at least with the notebook, so we have to hook up a pair of old computer speakers to the notebook and crank em up to get sound.
    Another option is using my IPAD Air / WIFI connection, I can stream to my Blueray player using Blue tooth and display to the Television. I have watched Youtube videos this way, but not a live stream broadcast. I have the Twitch TV App on my IPAD Air. Has anyone else done this?

Galaxy Note 2 with screen mirroring turned on going through my Sony br player. Pretty cool.

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

It doesn't look like twitch tv is Chromecast compatible. How do you cast from the live PAPA feed on twitch?

I actually just cast my browser tab (Chrome) with the Google Cast plugin. It allows you to cast the entire tab and then I just fullscreen the video. I do it from an older Chromebook too and seems to work pretty well. It used to be a bit laggy but recent updates have made it pretty good. I just close the Chromebook and let it run on the TV. Worked well last night.

The Chromecast works a lot better with an app that supports casting though like Youtube. Many times I can't watch the live steam so I catch up on them once they're uploaded to Youtube.

I figure now that Twitch is part of Google it'll get some nice updates shortly.

#195 5 years ago

This seems to work pretty well too with the Chromecast. A bit more straightforward than casting the Twitch website video.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahanson:

I actually just cast my browser tab (Chrome) with the Google Cast plugin.

I couldn't figure out the nightdev app but the Google Cast plugin worked great. Thanks.

#197 5 years ago

Damn, tough breaks for all my Texas peeps... Colin, Eric, Garret all out... one left, Robert Byers because he had a 1st round bye in b div..

#198 5 years ago

omg... the end of the video cut out?? This feels worse than the Valinor video!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 219.00
    $ 18.95
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 139.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.99
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 149.00
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside