5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rebound-rubber.jpg

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

There will be a second Johnny Mnemonic. I forgot we had two of those, but I just checked the list and that's correct.
    Classics II and III will be revealed sometime next week. We still need to make some decisions there.
    Mousin Around has two rebound rubbers affixed to either side of the center ramp. They were made by JCS pinball and worked perfectly. The center ramp is still available, but it's a significantly tougher shot.

I know you've probably already made up your mind on Classic II and III but I would like to vote for the following games. They are all great games! Snow Derby, 300, Old Coney Island, Time Fantasy, Paragon, Genie, Argosy.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I ask what people typically use as a strategy for PAPA when picking games to put together a good ticket?
    Do you split the bank up into 5 games and always play the same 5 on a ticket?
    Do you play ones that you are less consistent on first on a ticket and if you do well then finish out with ones you are more consistent on?
    Do you play defensively on the games that are not your best ticket and try to grab higher scores and push other down?
    I guess I have struggled with deciding what is a good strategy and why. Any advice is appreciated.
    TIA

Play a couple totally different tickets to try out each machine in the bank. See which games are feeling good to you and start to focus on a select group. Remember, you're competing against all of your own tickets as well as everyone else's which throws an interesting twist into the formula.

#103 5 years ago

I am enjoying this ticket strategy conversation.
    But, I have a PAPA parking question! I am only able to attend Wednesday, so I will be making the 5.5 hour drive both ways on Thursday. So I know parking sucks, but ive never been. What do I do? Any park and rides or street parking nearby?

Post edited by funtimewithdave: had wrong day, sry

#104 5 years ago

Are you playing in the Pinbrawl tournament? I think that's the only way to gain access to the facility on Wednesday. It opens for the World Championships on Thursday. I'm sure someone from PAPA will give the official word on this, but that is my understanding.

#105 5 years ago

sry Sleeth, typo. Thursday is the day im going. Parking help anybody?

#106 5 years ago

Their parking is limited but for a Thursday and PAPA you should have little or no problem. They have a paved lot that holds maybe 30 cars, then a gravel lot that holds maybe 20-30 more. Then you just have to find/make one around the old warehouses on the block. I think Pinburgh weekdays are the only real problem due to 400 players having to be there at the same A.M. time.

They also have been renting a large paved lot about 1/4 mile away for Pinburgh. Not sure if they will do the same for PAPA. Bottom line, don't sweat it. You'll find a place and it won't cost you anything.

#107 5 years ago

So, has everyone been studying rulesheets and watching videos? Waiting with baited breath for Classics II and III. I'm out of stuff to study right now!

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

So, has everyone been studying rulesheets and watching videos? Waiting with baited breath for Classics II and III. I'm out of stuff to study right now!

I have studied all I can handle (I prefer to play rather than watch vids) of C bracket. I actually have a Future Spa shipping to me today and hopefully arriving on Thursday so I can get a week of practice on it, LOL.

It likely will not help but still fun to say I am trying a lot harder this year to do well.

Question:
    Do most of the lower ranked players do classics each day? I did not play a single classics ticket last year since I figure it is just a donation. thoughts?

#109 5 years ago

My thoughts are that you're gonna kick my ass in the C bracket.

My wife and I already have plans to call it quits Friday. How's that for confidence?

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

My thoughts are that you're gonna kick my ass in the C bracket.
    My wife and I already have plans to call it quits Friday. How's that for confidence?

I go for the humiliation anyway.

I had so much fun playing all the practice games last year that I wanted to go back this year.
    I have gotten better than I was last year but I still am not very consistent. If I get lucky I will strike hot at least 1 day and be able to put together a decent ticket. Odds of making top 24 in C are VERY slim for me. I think it will be fun no matter what. Be sure to say 'hi' if you see me and we can commiserate together. I will likely be wearing some sort of Phish shirt and a burton hat with some small phish related pins on it. I am less of a jackass in person than online.

#111 5 years ago

And I'll be wearing the t-shirt that says: "I am Beelzeboob. Please don't punch me."

Honestly, though, I'll be the blondest guy there - just shy of an albino, and I'm sure I'll be hiding my man-tits under some type of stupid pinball shirt, with socks pulled up to my ass. So I'll be easy to spot. I'll be there all day Thursday and the early part of Friday. I'm setting up a WOZ at the Children's Hospital with Joe from PinballStar, so Wednesday's out. See? I may bust balls online, but I'm really a nice guy. Really.

Please nobody hurt me.

#112 5 years ago

PS - This is my "feeling it out, just practicing" year, like yours was last year. Never did a tournament, and not sure I really care. I'll watch others play and figure out if I'm just tearing up my tickets and playing with tokens.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have studied all I can handle (I prefer to play rather than watch vids) of C bracket. I actually have a Future Spa shipping to me today and hopefully arriving on Thursday so I can get a week of practice on it, LOL.
    It likely will not help but still fun to say I am trying a lot harder this year to do well.
    Question:
    Do most of the lower ranked players do classics each day? I did not play a single classics ticket last year since I figure it is just a donation. thoughts?

At least you will earn WPPR points for playing in the Classics. Plus, it is a great experience builder for gaining skills in competing in EM and early SS tournaments.

#114 5 years ago

Any idea if all C division games will have superbands or regular rubbers?

thanks

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks

What's it matter? You're still going to kick my ass.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

I am debating on C or B - this makes me lean to C, pending B list obviously. Great lineup.

If you're good enough to play B, then playing in C is bad form, IMHO.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

If you're good enough to play B, then playing in C is bad form, IMHO.

I am glad they instated the top 400 rule this year to help people decide where to play.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

What's it matter? You're still going to kick my ass.

You have not seen how bad I am...

#119 5 years ago

Oh, I wasn't talking about pinball.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks

Most will have regular rubber. A few games in C-div will have superbands. AFM is one that I know of for sure. Future Spa is another. B-div may have one game, but I don't remember off hand. A-div will not have any.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Most will have regular rubber. A few games in C-div will have superbands. AFM is one that I know of for sure. Future Spa is another. B-div may have one game, but I don't remember off hand. A-div will not have any.

Thanks for the info!

Guess I better put them on my FutureSpa that arrives today

Also, are any games in C div severly crippled in any way that would change strategy? i.e. JM spinner removed or only gives 1/2 spins?

One more... Do extra balls always award points? or are they sometimes set to nothing?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to do as much research as possible.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for the info!
    Also, are any games in C div severly crippled in any way that would change strategy? i.e. JM spinner removed or only gives 1/2 spins?
    One more... Do extra balls always award points? or are they sometimes set to nothing?

I can answer part of that. Extra balls can award points, nothing, or even extra balls. I know that PAPA has used Paragon in the past and extra balls were still on, and that may even be the case with Future Spa. Some modern games do not even award points for an extra ball. Batman Dark Knight is like that. Also important to know is that many games award points for a special. Ali can be set this way, Harlem Globetrotters, LOTR, the list goes on and on.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for the info!

Nothing is severely crippled. The JM spinner is weak, but it still works.

F-14 is set to one extra ball. The others should be set to score.

#124 5 years ago

thanks for all of the info!

My Future Spa arrive today. I will be setting it up and hoping it faired well in the travel from East coast to Madison.

If anyone going to PAPA wants to come over and practice this weekend, open invite. Just send me a PM.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

F-14 is set to one extra ball.

Wow, so we might actually see people shoot the Yagov shot on purpose!

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Wow, so we might actually see people shoot the Yagov shot on purpose!

so it will automatically drain

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you can survive shooting the insane death shot 8 times you deserve an extra ball

#128 5 years ago

Did anyone see that A & B divisions are now also taking 24 qualifiers? When did this happen? How do people feel about this?

#129 5 years ago

that is great!

more people able to qualify is always a good thing, esp when such a large field of people attempting to qualify

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Did anyone see that A & B divisions are now also taking 24 qualifiers? When did this happen? How do people feel about this?

What????? This is very new. Yay!!!!!!!!!
    "UPDATE 6
    Divisions A, B & C will all have 24 qualifiers. The top 8 qualifiers in each division will receive a bye."

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Wonderful news!
    With the high level of play at PAPA, it only seems fair to expand qualifying.
    Top 16 is a hard nut to crack against the best players in the world....

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume it's the same F14 that we had Fairfax and Louisville, if so, it's the safest shot in the world. Majority of the time it shot right back to a cradle on the left flipper

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that is great!
    more people able to qualify is always a good thing, esp when such a large field of people attempting to qualify

Agreed. I like seeing more qualify probably because I'm always missing things by one or two spots

the list looks fun and I look forward to watching the broadcast.

#134 5 years ago

In honor of Pre-Papa Tourney Week starting tonight.

♪ Masters of Pinball I'm pulling your strings
    ♪ Flipping your balls and smashing your glass
    ♪ Blinded by leds, you can't see a thing
    ♪ Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you sass
    ♪ Papa
    ♪ Papa

#135 5 years ago

Im wondering why there wasn't an announcement about this? I feel like its a pretty big deal, I mean it is the World Championships after all. I just stumbled upon it today while preregistering.

#136 5 years ago

Which reminds me. Has there been an announcement of the live converage schedule?

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Which reminds me. Has there been an announcement of the live converage schedule?

Finals. Expect some coverage of qualifying, but they historically haven't announced it ahead of time

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Which reminds me. Has there been an announcement of the live coverage schedule?

Typically they will broadcast the last hour or two of A div qualifying which ends Saturday @ 12midnite eastern. Then they will show all of the A div finals which begins Sunday @ 11AM and runs until about 5PM.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from MagicMako:

Im wondering why there wasn't an announcement about this? I feel like its a pretty big deal, I mean it is the World Championships after all. I just stumbled upon it today while preregistering.

There was an announcement on our facebook and twitter feeds, but I don't believe we posted an actual announcement on the papa.org page.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

There was an announcement on our facebook and twitter feeds, but I don't believe we posted an actual announcement on the papa.org page.

Oh ok thanks Doug, I missed that. Very cool.

#141 5 years ago

Is PAPA open on Wed for those not in PinBrawl?
    We should be arriving in the evening and itching to play!

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Is PAPA open on Wed for those not in PinBrawl?
    We should be arriving in the evening and itching to play!

Very good question. I was wondering the same.

#143 5 years ago

I was hoping if I managed to qualify for B or C (let's be realistic, C) there would at least a taping of the lower division finals for later posting to the PAPA site. Any chances of that?

#144 5 years ago

Historically, I believe the final 4 in A get the lime light.
    However, since the final 4 in B should theoretically occur much prior to the A finals, perhaps they will get some screen time?
    Don't think C has a chance.

#145 5 years ago

Does anyone know if you get more WPR points for taking last place in A than winning C?

#146 5 years ago

Yes- More WPPR's for last in A

Not sure you get WPPR's for c

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

Does anyone know if you get more WPR points for taking last place in A than winning C?

I don't think you get any WPR points for B or C. Just for A and the 2 Classics divisions.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

Last place in A last year got you 0.62 WPPR's.

Since C-division imposes skill restrictions, it isn't endorsed by the IFPA to award WPPR points. Only the open divisions of play at PAPA are endorsed (A and Classics). B/C/Juniors/Seniors are not due to skill and age restrictions.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think you get any WPR points for B or C. Just for A and the 2 Classics divisions.

A div and Classics I, II and III gets you WPPR's. As far as camera time, it's usually just A div and they have recorded some Classics finals for commentary in past PAPA tournaments.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Since C-division imposes skill restrictions, it isn't endorsed by the IFPA to award WPPR points. Only the open divisions of play at PAPA are endorsed (A and Classics). B/C/Juniors/Seniors are not due to skill and age restrictions.

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering how PAPA is any different from Pinburgh which has restrictions once the group breaks into divisions. Isn't it the same?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 218.00
    $ 64.99
    £ 32.00
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside