5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rebound-rubber.jpg

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago

Wow, this is a real change from other tournaments I've played (this is my first PAPA). For C in particular, not only will the games be known in advance, but you can practice on duplicate machines of most of the bank right in the venue before playing entries?

This is a boon to those without regular access to lots of machines.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Wow, this is a real change from other tournaments I've played (this is my first PAPA). For C in particular, not only will the games be known in advance, but you can practice on duplicate machines of most of the bank right in the venue before playing entries?
    This is a boon to those without regular access to lots of machines.

May the best player win.

#54 5 years ago

Hooray for inclusion of Surf 'n Safari! I hope it gets some good camera time. WoZ will be a treat to watch also.

#55 5 years ago

Love seeing Mousin' in there!

#56 5 years ago

I know there used to be a duplicate JM, but if Mark says there isn't I believe him. Hey Mark. Are we gonna see games announced for Classics II and III ?

#57 5 years ago

Curious as to what rubbers you installed on the Mousin' centre ramp.
    I remember playing Mousin' last PAPA visit, and had never seen rubbers of that magnitude before.
    What are they and where do you get them ?

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

I remember playing Mousin' last PAPA visit, and had never seen rubbers of that magnitude before.
    What are they and where do you get them ?

Rebound rubbers?

rebound-rubber.jpg

Note: kidding

#59 5 years ago

There will be a second Johnny Mnemonic. I forgot we had two of those, but I just checked the list and that's correct.

Classics II and III will be revealed sometime next week. We still need to make some decisions there.

Mousin Around has two rebound rubbers affixed to either side of the center ramp. They were made by JCS pinball and worked perfectly. The center ramp is still available, but it's a significantly tougher shot.

#60 5 years ago

Note to all C div players. Practice on the duplicate JM early before it breaks down. Seriously.

#61 5 years ago

I really love the game selection for the A bank. I'm particularly excited to see WoZ, Surf 'n Safari, and Fish Tales on camera!

#62 5 years ago

Doesn't Surf'n'Safari have a loop-the-ramp-all-day tempation?

I know some Premiere machines that at some point pay ridiculous points for succesive ramp shots. I sort of feared for repeated mistake within that compary. If they had only made better software options on things like these and random awards as well.

I will be excited to see how the cover-the-hole mod is made.

#63 5 years ago

Hey: during Papa 17, is the whole place open to the public to come in and play they're pins?

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Hey: during Papa 17, is the whole place open to the public to come in and play they're pins?

Yes, only cost is coin drop

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Absolutely. Heaven's gates are open to the public.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Absolutely. Heaven's gates are open to the public.

Love this.

Hahaha

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Yes. We will have over 400 pins available for coin drop play as well as some classic arcade machines.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Doesn't Surf'n'Safari have a loop-the-ramp-all-day tempation?

No points are awarded for shooting the ramp, nothing to worry about.

#69 5 years ago

Definitely sticking with B after looking at the A games. I'm glad I won't have to deal with the temptation of moving up to A division too.

#70 5 years ago

I'll never have to deal with the temptation of moving up to A division.

#71 5 years ago

Hey Mark/Doug. Can we go ahead and get this question out of the way. Will cheat sheets be allowed for the NBAFB trivia? Thanks in advance.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hey Mark/Doug. Can we go ahead and get this question out of the way. Will cheat sheets be allowed for the NBAFB trivia? Thanks in advance.

PAPA Rules Section VII #9

No player may use a camera or visual aid of any kind, other than the instructions provided by the machine, while standing at the machine. A player may review electronic or written notes in between turns of a multiplayer game or between games, but not during their own turn or between balls of a single-player game. While not actively playing, players are of course free to discuss features and strategies as much as they like, including between balls during a game, but no spectator or other player is compelled to answer, nor are they responsible for incorrect advice or answers to questions.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

No player may use a camera or visual aid of any kind, other than the instructions provided by the machine, while standing at the machine. A player may review electronic or written notes in between turns of a multiplayer game or between games, but not during their own turn or between balls of a single-player game. While not actively playing, players are of course free to discuss features and strategies as much as they like, including between balls during a game, but no spectator or other player is compelled to answer, nor are they responsible for incorrect advice or answers to questions.

Thanks. Guess we will have something to study on the 12 hour drive up there!

#74 5 years ago

How on earth is it allowed to ask for advice in between balls of a single player game?

I know it probably do not happen as much. But if so, it could also be a source to longer playing times.

Is it to have the same rules for single- and multi-player games?

#75 5 years ago

Great to see WOZ in the A list!

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

How on earth is it allowed to ask for advice in between balls of a single player game?
    I know it probably do not happen as much. But if so, it could also be a source to longer playing times.
    Is it to have the same rules for single- and multi-player games?

I've watched players in Juniors or lower divisions play a ball and turn around to say something quickly to a friend or parent prior to continuing to play. It's impossible to know what they're saying, and we're not going to eliminate people's ability to speak to one another out of fear they're discussing pinball in a room with 500 pinball machines, so it's allowed. In other words, the alternative is impossible to police fairly.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

Mark, I often use my phone's timer to set a 30-60 second timer after a tilt to tell me when the tilt bob has likely settled down a bit. Still allowed?

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Mark, I often use my phone's timer to set a 30-60 second timer after a tilt to tell me when the tilt bob has likely settled down a bit. Still allowed?

Absolutely allowed. I did this at the PAPA circuit tourney at SFGE and Mark and Doug commented on it favorably.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Collin, are you going to PAPA this year? My son and I will be there with my brother as well.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Collin, are you going to PAPA this year? My son and I will be there with my brother as well.

Yup, I'll be there, Leon. Looking forward to it!
    I convinced two more of the Austin crew to make the trip with me, as well.

Will it be yours and Preston's first time there?

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Yes. My family is making a vacation week out of it. We will be in Pittsburgh for a few days after the event to catch a Pirates game and see the sights.
    Plus I have to find my name on the board of PAPA TV supporters.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I'm not usually one for the "spirit" of the rule over the exact written rule, but in this case, I don't think eliminating digital timers is what the spirit of the rule is referencing. If someone showed me a ticking clock, I wouldn't ask them to put it away. If Doug feels otherwise, he can chime in.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

You guys suck. Have fun.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I'm not usually one for the "spirit" of the rule over the exact written rule, but in this case, I don't think eliminating digital timers is what the spirit of the rule is referencing. If someone showed me a ticking clock, I wouldn't ask them to put it away. If Doug feels otherwise, he can chime in.

I agree entirely.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

I've watched players in Juniors or lower divisions play a ball and turn around to say something quickly to a friend or parent prior to continuing to play. It's impossible to know what they're saying, and we're not going to eliminate people's ability to speak to one another out of fear they're discussing pinball in a room with 500 pinball machines, so it's allowed. In other words, the alternative is impossible to police fairly.

Got ya. Seems fair enough.

#86 5 years ago

Any chance we can get the top quali games on each game posted like they were a few years ago? They were really great to watch, especially when the player in question was asked to do the commentary.

I'd be willing to rummage through all the footage to cut out the games in question if that's a sticking point.

#87 5 years ago

I have been reading up on C division games and I am convinced that WOF was put in it just as an evil experiment to see if even bad games in PaPa C division see a price increase after the event

WOF is the one game in that bank that seems out of place and I hope dies a fiery death prior to the competition and needs to be replaced.

Division C:
    Jackbot
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Future Spa
    Batman Dark Knight
    Corvette
    Addams Family
    Wheel of Fortune
    Attack from Mars
    f14 tomcat

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been reading up on C division games and I am convinced that WOF was put in it just as an evil experiment to see if even bad games in PaPa C division see a price increase after the event
    WOF is the one game in that bank that seems out of place and I hope dies a fiery death prior to the competition and needs to be replaced.
    Division C:
    Jackbot
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Future Spa
    Batman Dark Knight
    Corvette
    Addams Family
    Wheel of Fortune
    Attack from Mars
    f14 tomcat

Seems like Future Spa would be the oddball in that group. WOF is actually a fun game to play, and since it takes a totally different flipper and nudging skill set to play well, it seems to me like a good qualifying game. It has been used before at PAPA as well, in A division qualifying.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I think that's pretty funny and an interesting hypothesis.

I haven't played Wheel of Fortune too much, but I kind of like it. I often think that Sterns are too similar, so I respect any effort to mix it up. Plus, I've been reading the Dennis Nordman issue of Pinball Magazine and it's giving me new respect for all of his games.

So, price increase? I wouldn't be surprised!

#90 5 years ago

Can I ask what people typically use as a strategy for PAPA when picking games to put together a good ticket?

Do you split the bank up into 5 games and always play the same 5 on a ticket?

Do you play ones that you are less consistent on first on a ticket and if you do well then finish out with ones you are more consistent on?

Do you play defensively on the games that are not your best ticket and try to grab higher scores and push other down?

I guess I have struggled with deciding what is a good strategy and why. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

#91 5 years ago

What's the hotel of choice for PAPA? Didn't see this on the PAPA site.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

What's the hotel of choice for PAPA? Didn't see this on the PAPA site.

http://papa.org/about-papa/hotel-travel/

#93 5 years ago

Ah, the brutality and frustration that is ... "The PAPA Ticket."

Quoted from Whysnow:

Do you split the bank up into 5 games and always play the same 5 on a ticket?

Practice makes perfect. But if there's a dog that keeps barking from ticket to ticket -- ditch the dog for a different pin.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Do you play ones that you are less consistent on first on a ticket and if you do well then finish out with ones you are more consistent on?

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and most confident. But that's not a bad idea toward the end of qualifying on Saturday when trying to make the cut -- if you don't mind spending the extra $$, void out a ticket that's begun extremely poorly and start a new one.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I ask what people typically use as a strategy for PAPA when picking games to put together a good ticket?

It's tough, that's for sure. And I'm not much of a competitor to begin with.

The one thing that's always on my mind is that on some of the top/favorite games like Attack from Mars, a lot of people are going to be putting up insane scores.

I don't there are as many diehard Future Spa pros.

That being said, if I was halfway decent on AFM, that'd be what I'd play.

#95 5 years ago

We will be staying at the Doubletree. Simply because we had enough Hilton points to stay there for free.
    No shuttle, but we will have a car rental anyway.

#96 5 years ago

Which hotels have a shuttle to PAPA (the event page just says "designated hotels" and the hotel/travel page doesn't seem to note which are served by shuttle)? Can you park at PAPA easily? I tried to look for the answer to this on the site to no avail. Thanks!

#97 5 years ago

Thanks for the info/ tips on putting together a ticket. Keep them coming if you have more.

I can definately see it as being a good strategy if you are familiar with the less popular games to try and assemble a ticket with those mainly...

Unfortunately, like most people I have never even seen many of those less popular games.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Which hotels have a shuttle to PAPA (the event page just says "designated hotels" and the hotel/travel page doesn't seem to note which are served by shuttle)? Can you park at PAPA easily? I tried to look for the answer to this on the site to no avail. Thanks!

Marriott Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport Settlers Ridge, Hyatt Place Pittburgh Airport, and Extended Stay America

#99 5 years ago

edited cause its no longer needed

Post edited by ezeltmann: i am not mark

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for the info/ tips on putting together a ticket. Keep them coming if you have more.
    I can definately see it as being a good strategy if you are familiar with the less popular games to try and assemble a ticket with those mainly...
    Unfortunately, like most people I have never even seen many of those less popular games.

At first, stick with the ones you know. If you get a machine that is kicking our ass, don't give up on it too early. You will get acclimated to it over time and do better. If after maybe 8-10 tries on a particular game it is still dealing you fits, then you may want to switch up. Keep in mind that the games are set up super tough, so a score you consider poor on a particular pin may not be as bad as you think. If you are qualified in the top 24(C and Classics only) and qualifying is nearing an end, consider playing more tickets on the opposite games from your best ticket. This is an attempt to knock down the other players, and don't feel bad about doing it. They will be doing the same thing to you. TAKE YOUR TIME on a ticket. Feel free to play one or 2 games and take a break, get some food, etc, before playing the rest of the games on your ticket. Also lines get long on Friday and Saturday night. Consider playing earlier and at times when most players will be eating meals. Lines will be very short or non-existent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    £ 75.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 17.00
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside