(Topic ID: 22391)

Papa 14 Finals T2: Awarding super after glitch. thoughts.

By sixsixtie

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

We stop where the IFPA says it's time to stop on it. Now if you really want to talk about a slippery slope...
Roger Sharpe
Director – IFPA Founder
Roger Sharpe's contributions and impact on the coin-operated amusement game industry have been evident for over 30 years. From his acclaimed book on pinball machines, testifying in New York City to help legalize the games and for 15 years, the Director of Marketing and Licensing for Williams Bally/Midway. He has also spent time designing games, and contributing to many of the coin-op industry trade magazines.
Josh Sharpe
President
Josh Sharpe's contributions to competitive pinball started with the creation of the Illini Pinball Association in 1998 on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. From there Josh created the PinBrawl World Team Pinball Championships, held at Pinball Expo in Chicago for several years and now held at the Michigan Pinball Expo. In the Spring of 2006, with the help of many players and enthusiasts, Josh created the World Pinball Player Rankings and resurrected the defunct International Flipper Pinball Association.
Zach Sharpe
Vice President
Zach Sharpe took over the Illini Pinball Association in 2002, and has overseen its continuance even after he has left the campus. Since 1999, Zach has been the lead contributing writer for Play Meter Magazine's column, Critic's Corner Too! He has been an integral part in the continuing promotion of competitive pinball to the player community.
I'm not saying they're playing the odds and bending the rules to suit them, they are legitimately amazing players. But this is facts of the IFPA.

The IFPA has nothing to do with PAPA and vice versa.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

Ok, sometimes in MM when the gate is down and you hit the shot it will award a lock instead of whatever the castle destruction is worth.
What if you have the king of payne beat and you nail the shot and it awards a lock and you then drain?
Do we rewind the game and award the points the castle should have awarded?
Does it matter if it's in the finals? It shouldn't.

The rules can be consistent, but what changes is that during qualifiers you have a lot more players playing a lot more games. There's no way to scrutinize every single qualifier attempt on the level of what happens in a finals match, and you can't officiate what you didn't see.

Quoted from sixsixtie:

What if that was your last game and you could have qualified but you didn't end up qualifying. It should be the exact same throughout the whole tournament.

In the finals of most tournaments, there are only a few games going on at a time and multiple judges watching each game, versus qualifiers, where there are many, many games going on at once, but with roughly the same number of judges. Simple math explains why it can't be the exact same throughout the tournament as you suggest.

As for a make or break on the very last qual entry, while it's possible it's highly improbable.

Has it happened? Sure. But Keith Elwin didn't win 4 PAPAs because his opponents all got software glitches and got knocked out that way. The skill will rise despite the bumps in the road.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

So then so I can understand more fully, they don't have the same fundamental pinball rules in the case of malfunctions? Is A class and Classics not sanctioned by the IFPA? According to the points they are.
It's really a different can of worms, I thought it was where sixsixtie was trying to go with the OP, and I was saying that wasn't the case, but it was something to note when rule leanings come into play.
If it were him or me playing that same game of T2 on B or C class, I wouldn't imply they have anything to do with each other.
In my mind it was a fair judgement call by PAPA in any case. These are phenomonal players outside of any affiliations with any other associations.

I see where the confusion is. No, the IFPA doesn't dictate tournament rules at that level.

The basics requirements to be eligible for wppr points are:

1. The tournament has to be open to the public. Allowable exceptions are bars that don't allow minors, or if a player has been banned from a venue.

2. The tournament has to be open to all players of all skill levels. You can't have a "no pros" policy.

3. No team formats or wacky formats (like a one-handed tournament probably wouldn't be eligible).

4. IFPA must be notified at least one month in advance. Exceptions have been made for the launch parties, though.

5. You have to provide contact info - i.e. a website or email address where someone who sees your event on the calendar can get more info if they're interested in attending.

There might be a few other rules I'm forgetting, but that's basically it. How you run your event is up to you. I have run head-to-head time attack, single and double elim, casual flow, pin golf, wildcard, 4-player papa group style...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.95
$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/papa-14-finals-t2-awarding-super-after-glitch-thoughts?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.