• Latest reply 4 years ago by Oldgoat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screen-capture-12 (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I am thinking of purchasing a pantone color guide off of Amazon to help color match a playfield I am trying to restore.

My question is if you are using a pantone color guide, once you find a "close" match what do you do then? Do you take the color guide and go to the local craft store and try to find the acrylic paint bottle the appears to have the closest match to the color on your color guide, or do you actually match up the Pantone color number to a number on the acrylic paint bottle?

Thank you.

#2 4 years ago

You can use your Pantone guide and take it to the craft store to try to match colors.

You can take it to a paint store and have them use that to match colors using the Pantone numbers per color.

Just make sure you’re getting a relatively new guide because the colors do change and fade over time. That’s important only if you’re using the numbers to generate the colors

#3 4 years ago

keep in mind there are different pantone guides as well

there is also an pantone app for iphones
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/pantone-studio/id329515634

#4 4 years ago

Wmsfan,
If you go to the paint store, what kind of paint do you purchase, regular gloss latex?

swinks,
I don't know if I would trust an app to match colors. Computer screens, even with the same make/model monitor can show a color differently from monitor to monitor...I would think a cell phone would do the same thing.

Do you know guys if you purchase the small tubes of acrylic paint at the craft store if there is a way to match up a pantone color # on those?

#5 4 years ago

I have tested and appears very close, keep in mind your pantone charts age as well and can be very expensive. whats a few dollars for a app and a test paint sample?

screen-capture-12 (resized).pngscreen-capture-12 (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

What will you be painting?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

What will you be painting?

I will be touching up Hurricane, and later a full paint restoration attempt on Joker Poker.

#8 4 years ago

Yes and No.

Pantone (actually it's PMS - Pantone Matching System) is a color reference system used in the printing industry, more specifically for so-called spot colors: every printed color has a number and can thus be reproduced by any printer in the world. Pantone 100 is yellow, Pantone 106 and 113 are warmer yellows, Pantone 137 is an orange, whilst Pantone 172 is red, etc... Every old cabinet, and every old playfield, has been screen printed using spot colors: yellow areas were printed f.i. with pantone 106 and a darker yellow area was printed next with pantone 123, and so on, often more than 10 spot colors were required to print a playfield.

(as opposed to modern playfields which are printed with so-called process colors: a mix of 4 colors (yellow, magenta, cyan and black inks) printed in small dots to create any color combination possible)

So yes: if you plan on screen printing a playfield, then the Pantone reference number is totally relevant because it will allow you to mix the correct screen printing ink, exactly like the one mixed decades ago.
But no: if you plan on using paints then the Pantone reference becomes just a visual reference like any other, because paints use a different reference system from Pantone. In other words: any color reference guide is usable. There is no point in buying an expensive Pantone color guide for simple visual reference. Go to a paint shop, they might have color guides for free.

Finally: to obtain a correct color match you'll have to mix paints anyway. In my experience it only happens very seldom that I can use paint straight out of the bottle. In that regard my advice would be to buy a basic color set (Createx opaques are a very good basis for playfield touch-up imho) and a series of additional colors to fine-tune the mix. And then start experimenting. There's a learning curve. It's not always easy to end up with a perfect mix, but consider that as part of the fun

Good luck!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from g94:

There's a learning curve.

Talk about understatement! (Oh and forget what you thought you knew about mixing colors. Ever watch them mix up paint at a big box or paint store? You buy a shade of yellow and see them adding things like black or blue to the base and think they are messing it up. As g94 says, be prepared for a lot of experimentation!)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pantone-color-guide-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.