20200729_122644 (resized).jpg
20200729_121630 (resized).jpg
20200729_121624 - Copy (resized).jpg
5a35550fec09d123a8500cdc1ee9297f930d2492 (resized).png
20210602_185403 (resized).jpg
rm (resized).jpg
rm2 (resized).jpg
D5E62A17-06F8-4274-ABC2-3B91732C079A (resized).jpeg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 days ago

I am shipping a HUO LOTRLE next week. I have shipped both ways…i did pallatize a pin that shipped to New Zealand which went great. Most expensive pin i have shipped before this upcoming was a TOTAN and shipped that across country with legs on and went flawlessly. Is the general consensus to ship legs on or on a pallet with Michelle Bianchi?

trying to avoid pinball shipping tragedy.

Thanks,

Darin

#3 11 days ago

What are you shipping? If it’s something rare or expensive I’d put it on a pallet like Chris Hutchins does. It’s time consuming, but good insurance.
My first game was shipped legs on with STI. It came with a dented side rails and a split cabinet. I will say however, I’ve since shipped about a dozen players games legs on without a problem.

A pic of HEP handiwork!

D5E62A17-06F8-4274-ABC2-3B91732C079A (resized).jpeg

#4 11 days ago

Pallet. Safer on an expensive game.

#5 11 days ago

Balls out (not those) and coin box (if one), thick moving blanket in between the cab and back box down, shrink wrap it a good three times around, strap it down, and pallet it if going on a long distance trek. NEVER ship with legs on.

#6 11 days ago

A lot of people will tell you they had no issues with legs on, HOWEVER- the nastiest shipping disaster stories I have heard all deal with damage that occurred with legs on. Worst case scenarios come in both flavors, but split cabinets are usually the results when legs on shipping goes wrong. When palletized, you only worry about forked sides and bent side rails, but anything else is pretty uncommon unless they drop it off the dock.

#7 11 days ago

I kind of like on the legs these days if its coming from the States. I have not had a single issue with STI so far (crossing my fingers). Internationally the best would be on a pallet, blanket wrapped then surrounded by plywood like a big crate

#8 11 days ago

I see Chris puts "DO NOT FORKLIFT" stickers on. How exactly do they shippers move the games around then? They obviously don't pick it up by hand... Palette jacks?

#9 11 days ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I see Chris puts "DO NOT FORKLIFT" stickers on. How exactly do they shippers move the games around then? They obviously don't pick it up by hand... Palette jacks?

Hes explained it a bunch of times but essentially its just "insurance" that if something does go wrong, he can easily point out that instructions were not followed.

#10 11 days ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I am shipping a HUO LOTRLE next week. I have shipped both ways…i did pallatize a pin that shipped to New Zealand which went great. Most expensive pin i have shipped before this upcoming was a TOTAN and shipped that across country with legs on and went flawlessly. Is the general consensus to ship legs on or on a pallet with Michelle Bianchi?
trying to avoid pinball shipping tragedy.
Thanks,
Darin

Pallet. X 1,000,000.
Way too vulnerable on their legs.

#11 11 days ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

A pic of HEP handiwork!

yup, this is the way!

#12 11 days ago

PALLET, did I say that loud enough?
These toys are not cheap, why take a chance?

#13 11 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

PALLET, did I say that loud enough?
These toys are not cheap, why take a chance?

We've been over this a million times!

PALLET is wonderful till you get a forklift through the cabinet! It can and does happen. A friend of mine just posted these unfortunate pics of his PALLETed brand new in box Rick and Morty:

rm (resized).jpg
rm2 (resized).jpg

I've come to the conclusion that there's no "better" way to do it. you are "taking a chance" regardless. I've shipped both ways dozens of times and the only time I've had any damage was a bent leg on an EM. Others have had horrific tales of misery on a pallet or on the legs.

Insure games properly and pray for the best. But "why take a chance" isn't in play here, no matter what you do you are rolling the dice.

#14 11 days ago

I would pallet with legs removed. Also I use plywood to cover any exposed playfield glass. Shipping with legs on asking for trouble.

#15 11 days ago

Imagine someone shaking your game with a slide save every couple of minutes. When you ship a game on legs, you’re subjecting the leg brackets to hours of that kind of action. And there’s a good chance that someone will use a forklift under the cabinet. I always ship games like HEP: strapped to a good solid pallet.

#17 11 days ago

With legs on I'm sure these guys use fork trucks to move a pin in and out of their trucks in between their terminals especially on the long hauls.

#18 11 days ago

Glad I got my dose of shitty pinside comment today. Bravo.

#19 11 days ago

My worst shipping experiences have been on pallet. Unless you pallet like HEP does then I would ship on legs.

#20 11 days ago

I have shipped in and out more than 75 pins since 2005. The only damage I have ever experienced on a "legs on" shipment to me was a scratched and damaged leg that they paid for without hesitation. I have never received a report of a "legs on" delivery that was damaged. I have had several instances of damage on a pallet, all of which damaged the cabinet or side of the head and required (at a minimum) re-decal. Pallets require forklifts to move, and forklifts and forklift operators are the pure nemesis of pinball machines. NAVL/STI/Beltman use man power to move machines in and out of the trucks. R&L Carriers is the worst for poking holes in a box or stabbing a cabinet with a fork, in my experiences. But I have had issues with all of the carriers when they use forklifts.

Just my two cents.

#21 11 days ago

1) Very often they take them back to the hub to wrap up per the directions. Very often. I always demand that they at least blanket wrap the machine before it gets picked up, and then have them send me pictures of the machine wrapped properly with corner boards if and when they don't have them when they arrive. Almost always the machine is being picked up and put into an empty or near-empty truck, and they are strapped onto the siderail. So I don't worry about that first trip to the hub as much as the rest.

2) Is it relevant that they were black?

#22 11 days ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

It is if you're an asshole!

#23 11 days ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

1) Very often they take them back to the hub to wrap up per the directions. Very often. I always demand that they at least blanket wrap the machine before it gets picked up, and then have them send me pictures of the machine wrapped properly with corner boards if and when they don't have them when they arrive. Almost always the machine is being picked up and put into an empty or near-empty truck, and they are strapped onto the siderail. So I don't worry about that first trip to the hub as much as the rest.

I recently shipped a machine and they did exactly as you said they just put it in the truck and said dont worry we will wrap it at the warehouse.and the color of the drivers is unimportant in my opinion.

#24 11 days ago

I always hate shipping but sometimes in this hobby it's inevitable. I've had a mixed bag with STI. One old guy on a pickup really took his time blanket wrapping with corner protectors and shrink wrap.

Last year I shipped a couple games. Guys show up at the end of a ten hour day. Throw a blanket over them quick with some loose packing tape to hold them in place. Kind of gritted my teeth and hoped they would get better care at the the hub. They didn't...

One other time I remember a guy backed up the box truck and rolled over the curb edge at the end of the driveway. Truck bobbed side to side real hard. Bang, bang, bam. When they open the door there was a nice old jukebox strapped to the side. Ha, I wondered if it made it to it's destination in one piece.

#25 11 days ago

I've had nothing but good experiences over 15 years and probably close to 100 games with STI. Never any serious damage on a single game.

Shipped both ways...though generally I prefer on the legs, head folded over, wrapped (on EMs and SS games too), and leg levelers turned all the way in. It's easier for many customers to receive their games this way.

Results/experiences seem to vary with local crews. My guys have all been great, and they tend to be consistent with little turnover. I've had the same guys show up for years at a time. Perhaps NYC gets better treatment/staff than some other areas, who knows.

Bottom line is you are ALWAYS taking a chance with shipping and you know this. "PALLET!!" isn't some magic bullet, just look at the photos I posted of that Rick and Morty. Nobody here has even provided anecdotal evidence of serious damage when shipping games on legs.

Does it happen? Of course. How could it not?

U ship, U pray.

#26 11 days ago

What if you put a pallet on top of a pallet and bolted them together? If the forks missed they wouldn't tear up your game, they'd just go into the second pallet right? Is this crazy talk?

Also very interesting to hear everyone's different anecdotes. I would assume shipping on legs is bad for all the reasons already listed but sounds like a lot of people go that route. At the end of the day it's just a bit of a dice roll when shipping anything.

#27 11 days ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

What if you put a pallet on top of a pallet and bolted them together? If the forks missed they wouldn't tear up your game, they'd just go into the second pallet right? Is this crazy talk?

Not crazy talk. we get stuff all the time at our office with 2 pallets attached together.

#28 11 days ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Also very interesting to hear everyone's different anecdotes. I would assume shipping on legs is bad for all the reasons already listed but sounds like a lot of people go that route. At the end of the day it's just a bit of a dice roll when shipping anything.

It's not when they go to pick the machine up. The stabbings occur when they are jetting around the warehouse at 30MPH on those lifts. They get stabbed high.

#29 11 days ago

Both work for me. It’s all in the prep.

I prep mine like a mummy prior to pickup and have not had any issues with it being wrapped at pickup.

The few games I have received that were wrapped by the shipper we’re done terribly.

Once, I palleted a game and it arrived without the pallet.

Lastly, I always photograph everything. Especially my preparation of the game for pickup.

#30 11 days ago

This thread doesn't help me at all emotionally, since I have a pin getting shipped to me today. Now it is wrapped and corner boarded, legs off, being shipped by NAVL and Michelle Bianchi at Beltmann, but it's got a long haul from upstate NY to Phoenix AZ and although it just a Gottlieb wedgehead add a ball, it's a Subway and it's 55 years old. My mother, bless her heart, is 83 and even she travels better than a 55 year old EM. This is going to be a nail biter for sure.

#31 11 days ago

I think some of the damage from shipping machines on their legs is not immediately noticeable. The movement during shipping stresses the cabinet and loosens up the wood joints.
Also, I've seen several machines that were moved multiple times on their legs, and the leg bolt plates are stripped and need to be replaced.
If I move a machine farther than across the room, the legs get removed.

#32 11 days ago

I’ve always made shipping the buyer’s responsibility, so I don’t even have to make this decision. Want to ship it uninsured via Fred’s pinball service? Fine, as long as I have your money before Fred comes to pick it up.

#33 11 days ago
Quoted from DCP:

Also, I've seen several machines that were moved multiple times on their legs, and the leg bolt plates are stripped and need to be replaced.

About half the used games I get need a leg bolt plate (or two) replaced, kinda comes with the territory of buying a used pinball machine. Doesn't seem to matter if they've been shipped or not.

#34 11 days ago

Personally I'll never ship another game again, doesn't matter if its on legs or in a crate they will still damage it. Why risk it? Do it all yourself, you'll be glad you did.

John

#35 11 days ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Personally I'll never ship another game again, doesn't matter if its on legs or in a crate they will still damage it. Why risk it? Do it all yourself, you'll be glad you did.
John

I dont even like shipping Backglasses or playfields anymore, the shipping services just throw everything in the truck.

#36 11 days ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Do it all yourself, you'll be glad you did.

This is not economically feasible when the machine is worth less than the plane ticket and rental cost of a truck to drive it home with... as it stands I am paying $570 bucks to ship a $1200 machine 3000 miles. If it gets here in less than two pieces it should be fine and I'm not out three days of vacation it would take to make the trip.

#37 11 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

This thread doesn't help me at all emotionally, since I have a pin getting shipped to me today. Now it is wrapped and corner boarded, legs off, being shipped by NAVL and Michelle Bianchi at Beltmann, but it's got a long haul from upstate NY to Phoenix AZ and although it just a Gottlieb wedgehead add a ball, it's a Subway and it's 55 years old. My mother, bless her heart, is 83 and even she travels better than a 55 year old EM. This is going to be a nail biter for sure.

Another upstate NY'ker? Having one shipped from MI to Upstate (with the same nail biting) but as Levi said, "U Ship, U Pray" even though it's an earlier 2000's Stern. Truer words have never been said. I've done it a lot and not had anything happen out of the ordinary (knock on the cab). Not too shabby for $480 with insurance from Michelle and Co. I would have spent another couple hundred more than that easy going to get it. But you take a risk just walking out your door and getting hit by a car too (or getting hit by a car in your car).

#38 11 days ago

I would go legs off. I just got a client that had legs bent in shipping, plus it seems to me a lot of stress on cabinet, bolts, corner bolt plates, etc. that is won't be immediately noticeable.

#39 11 days ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

It's not when they go to pick the machine up. The stabbings occur when they are jetting around the warehouse at 30MPH on those lifts. They get stabbed high.

Exactly!
Years ago I had a pitch and bat baseball machine shipped to me via American Van lines. It was strapped to a pallet and the seller even built a 1/2 OSB box on top of the pallet around the machine for additional protection. Some ham fisted fork lift operator speared it with the forks like he was in a jousting competition. Machine was a total loss but luckily after a few go rounds they paid the insurance claim.

The moral of the story is 1/2” flake board is worthless. Use 3/4” plywood at the very least and go double thick for added insurance if you are going to bother. Unfortunately 3/4” plywood is $80 a sheet and not $35 due to current lumber price gouging.

#40 11 days ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

I would go legs off. I just got a client that had legs bent in shipping, plus it seems to me a lot of stress on cabinet, bolts, corner bolt plates, etc. that is won't be immediately noticeable.

I’ve also had that happen. One of the rear legs was bent 3” and cabinet was stressed but luckily stayed together.

Shipping is always a gamble!

The problem is there is no accountability. US mail, Fed Ex, UPS, moving company, etc no matter how you ship it the employees are not held accountable for damaged items. Most of the employees are good people who take pride in their work but some just don’t care what they are moving or if it makes it to its destination intact. They are counting the days until their retirement.

#41 11 days ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Stickers won’t save you. They will still use a forklift

#42 11 days ago

A palleted game is probably safer, but they will use a forklift and sometimes they will poke a hole in the cargo. STI will pick up and deliver by manpower, but in between they will probably use a forklift too. Shipping anything always has some risk involved.

#43 11 days ago

It’s funny to me that some of you guys trust 2 people carrying your game on its legs more than 1 guy with a pallet jack.

#44 11 days ago

When I shipped to the dock at the freight terminal, I was led by the shipping clerk to the machine, NIB, on a pallet, on the terminal floor. The lift jockey then came speeding up on his mount, whirled the thing around and had my machine in the air in like 3 seconds and was already heading for the loading ramp where my box truck was waiting. If I had not been there and yelled at him to stop, he would have driven the top of the box into the ramp overhead door, knocking it off the pallet and god knows what other damage. Shipping is like the government making laws or the butchers making sausage, you don't ever want to hear, see, or know exactly what goes on, but you are glad they do it.

#45 11 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

This is not economically feasible when the machine is worth less than the plane ticket and rental cost of a truck to drive it home with... as it stands I am paying $570 bucks to ship a $1200 machine 3000 miles. If it gets here in less than two pieces it should be fine and I'm not out three days of vacation it would take to make the trip.

Find another $1200 machine thats closer and make a one day trip out of it. There has to be others for sale?

John

#46 10 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’s funny to me that some of you guys trust 2 people carrying your game on its legs more than 1 guy with a pallet jack.

I trust pallet jacks. It’s the fork lifts that get ya.

#47 10 days ago

Sorry, I am still reeling from the outrage that STI couldn’t even be bothered to send 2 white guys to pick up the game from ccbiggsoo7… what is the world coming to? Will the madness never end?

#48 10 days ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I trust pallet jacks. It’s the fork lifts that get ya.

That has always been my worry, forklifts. I have shipped a restored Xe to California, restored Flash Gordon to Beverly Hills, restored F2K to CO, restored Star Trek to CT. All by STI from NJ with legs on. I put crap legs on the game and put the nice legs inside secured with zip ties. Granted I wrap the crap out of my games and never had an issue and buyers thanks me for the extra effort. I think it will palletized if I ever ship another.

#49 10 days ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Find another $1200 machine thats closer and make a one day trip out of it. There has to be others for sale?
John

If I could have found a Gottlieb Subway add-a-ball wedgehead west if the Mississippi I would have bought it. As it stands, I've only ever encountered 4 in the wild, the original one from my youth, one in PHOF, and the 2 Mopar had, one which is now on its way to me. I heard there is one here in AZ but the guy is going to be buried in it, and it's the only one anyone around here has ever seen.

#50 10 days ago

MB Le to the Netherlands , the top looks a little raggy but that was just extra over 3 other layers of moving blankets ,cardboard, wrap , etc .....
20210602_185403 (resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside